Mana Pools & Tafika Trip Report - October 2018

Default Mana Pools & Tafika Trip Report - October 2018

Greetings all. In October 2018, our younger daughter and son-in-law from Australia joined us for an exciting trip to Mana Pools and Tafika (lower Zambezi), we experienced a number of highlights. Please feel free to join us on our journey. For those that are interested, I have completed the trip report on the attached .pdf file, we have been inspired by many others that share their knowledge and experiences on this forum. We hope you enjoy the trip. Many thanks John and Linda.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Tedx2; 2020/08/05 at 02:27 PM.
    John 2014 Toyota Hilux 4x4 3.0 D4D
    Baobab BL1715 "Kamba"
    "I never knew of a morning in Africa when I woke up and was not happy" - Ernest Hemingway

Kgalagadi 2019 Namibia 2019 Gonarezhou 2019 Mana/Tafika 2018 Kgalagadi 2017 Lion, Hippo, Eland Leguaan, Python

2. The Following 17 Users Say Thank You to Tedx2 For This Useful Post:

Default Re: Mana Pools & Tafika Trip Report - October 2018

Enjoyable read!

Beautiful photos!

Lots of jealousy!

Felt like I was there.
    Nothing, not even a mighty mountain, will stand in Zerubbabel’s way;

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Mal Hannes For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Mal Hannes View Post
    Enjoyable read!

Beautiful photos!

Lots of jealousy!

Felt like I was there.
    Hey Hannes, thanks for compliments, I'm pleased you enjoyed the journey!!
    Baobab BL1715 "Kamba"
    "I never knew of a morning in Africa when I woke up and was not happy" - Ernest Hemingway

Kgalagadi 2019 Namibia 2019 Gonarezhou 2019 Mana/Tafika 2018 Kgalagadi 2017 Lion, Hippo, Eland Leguaan, Python

Another report of your very high standards, John. And excelent photography. Thank you!

We should be in Zimbabwe right now, Mana and Ghonarezou included. But covid-19 somehow didn't agree, so we had to postpone to next year. But our advanced payment for camping in Mana (one of the highest camping tariffs in whole Africa for foreigners!) has gone down the drain. They were only willing to offer us 6 months credid, which is of no use for us. Luckily, Ghonarezhou management was much more flexible, we can use our paid camping fees anytime untill the end of next year.

So, I can hardly wait for our trip next year. I only hope this pandemic mess will somehow be resolved by then...
    24 hours in a day.... 24 beer in a case.... Coincidence?
    -------------------------------------------------------------
    My blog: Our African Ramblings (https://safaribug.wordpress.com/)

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ortelius For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by ortelius View Post
    Another report of your very high standards, John. And excelent photography. Thank you!

We should be in Zimbabwe right now, Mana and Ghonarezou included. But covid-19 somehow didn't agree, so we had to postpone to next year. But our advanced payment for camping in Mana (one of the highest camping tariffs in whole Africa for foreigners!) has gone down the drain. They were only willing to offer us 6 months credid, which is of no use for us. Luckily, Ghonarezhou management was much more flexible, we can use our paid camping fees anytime untill the end of next year.

So, I can hardly wait for our trip next year. I only hope this pandemic mess will somehow be resolved by then...
    Hi Jurij, thanks for the acknowledgement of my report, it is a pleasure to do, you may be interested in my Gonarezhou report posted a few minutes ago.

Your experience with Zimbabwe National Parks is wrong on so many fronts, please see my PM that I will post shortly. Yes, we hope this pandemic ends soon, but we have many doubts, things in Southern Africa are not looking too good at present.
    Baobab BL1715 "Kamba"

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Tedx2 For This Useful Post:

Thanks John for keeping us on the road during these times.

"In nature, nothing is on order - appreciate what you do get to experience" - Myself
    Defender 90 TD5 - BL Boskriek
    Namibia Trip Report, Kaa Wilderness Trip Report, Wildcoast Trip Report, Botswana Trip Report, Kgalagadi Trip Report, Lesotho Trip Report

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Frans 90 For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Frans 90 View Post
    Thanks John for keeping us on the road during these times.
    Hi Frans, I had just directed you to this report from my Gonarezhou thread, I thought you would be interested, thanks for reading
    Baobab BL1715 "Kamba"

Hi John and Linda, A big thank you for all the time and effort taken to write such brilliant and equally beautiful trip reports. Thank you for sharing your special experiences with us. Love your style of writing.. think I've read all your reports and wholeheartedly wish you many more pleasant travels through Africa which you'll make us feel a part of once we get to read the reports.. A BEEG THUMBS UP!!

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Xtreme 4x4 For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Xtreme 4x4 View Post
    Hi John and Linda, A big thank you for all the time and effort taken to write such brilliant and equally beautiful trip reports. Thank you for sharing your special experiences with us. Love your style of writing.. think I've read all your reports and wholeheartedly wish you many more pleasant travels through Africa which you'll make us feel a part of once we get to read the reports.. A BEEG THUMBS UP!!
    Hi Xtreme, wow what a generous comment on our trip reports, its comments like this that make all the effort worthwhile knowing that we are creating enjoyment for others, thanks, greatly appreciated. I notice from previous posts of yours that you are a keen fisherman, you must have enjoyed the tiger/vundu photos, the memory of my 20lb 4oz (9.2kg) tiger will stay with me for the rest of my life . Way back in 2004 I caught a 13lb 10oz (6.2kg) bass in Zimbabwe, see picture below, all my fishing dreams have been satisfied, others are bonuses.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by Tedx2; 2020/08/06 at 08:13 AM.
    Baobab BL1715 "Kamba"

You are most welcome, my words are only what I felt from reading yours. And as they say work is only for those who don't know how to fish so Yes, I do like the idea of throwing a line out with the hope of reeling in a mermaid one day, till then I'll just keep casting. Am also blessed to have travelled to many of the places you've visited so can relate to some of your experiences. To mention just one. Mana Pools. absolutely a magical mystical place. Stayed on our first occasion at Nyamepi camp and on one of the nights had a pride of 17 lions in camp for a period of 2 hours roaring their guts out. On the same trip had an opportunity to send a jerk bait out at mana mouth, promised my nervous wife that I'd make only 3 casts as the suns last rays turned the sky into an orange glow and Boom! On the 3rd cast, a 4,5 kg tiger from the bank! What a rush!! On our second trip we stayed at Rukomechi Camp and had made good friends with the management couple Thys and Amy.. Needless to say, most of our days were spent drifting down the mighty, rod in hand with some lovely game viewing and screeming reels.. not as lucky as yourself with a 9.2kg!! Congrats on that one!! But managed to bag a few 5 and 6ers.. and a monsterous Vundu of 30kg on my 6ft Berkley bass rod.. would never have managed to land it without the help of our skillful skipper who obeyed all my instructions to steer the boat and followed the fish as it peeled line like a Bugatti on take off. My wife had to hit the oar against the side of the boat as this beast pulled us towards a pod of hippos.. and as my forearms and back started to feel the strain this not so pretty fish eventually surfaced, showing some whiskers and decided to make another dash zweeeee..we..weeeee.. love that sound.. 55 mins since hook up, timed by the mrs. And we eventually managed to get this beast on board. Memory of a lifetime! ( if I ever relate this fight and say it took me an hour, I get told it was 55mins and I shouldn't exaggerate!!) Glad that the lodge had a working butcher scale that we could weigh the fish on before it lazily swayed and danced it's way back into the depths of the Zambezi. Congrats on a Beauty of a Bass too!! My guess would be that it was caught at Mteri?

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Xtreme 4x4 For This Useful Post:

Last edited by Xtreme 4x4; 2020/08/07 at 12:11 AM. Reason: Double post

Quote Originally Posted by Xtreme 4x4 View Post
    You are most welcome, my words are only what I felt from reading yours. And as they say work is only for those who don't know how to fish so Yes, I do like the idea of throwing a line out with the hope of reeling in a mermaid one day, till then I'll just keep casting. Am also blessed to have travelled to many of the places you've visited so can relate to some of your experiences. To mention just one. Mana Pools. absolutely a magical mystical place. Stayed on our first occasion at Nyamepi camp and on one of the nights had a pride of 17 lions in camp for a period of 2 hours roaring their guts out. On the same trip had an opportunity to send a jerk bait out at mana mouth, promised my nervous wife that I'd make only 3 casts as the suns last rays turned the sky into an orange glow and Boom! On the 3rd cast, a 4,5 kg tiger from the bank! What a rush!! On our second trip we stayed at Rukomechi Camp and had made good friends with the management couple Thys and Amy.. Needless to say, most of our days were spent drifting down the mighty, rod in hand with some lovely game viewing and screeming reels.. not as lucky as yourself with a 9.2kg!! Congrats on that one!! But managed to bag a few 5 and 6ers.. and a monsterous Vundu of 30kg on my 6ft Berkley bass rod.. would never have managed to land it without the help of our skillful skipper who obeyed all my instructions to steer the boat and followed the fish as it peeled line like a Bugatti on take off. My wife had to hit the oar against the side of the boat as this beast pulled us towards a pod of hippos.. and as my forearms and back started to feel the strain this not so pretty fish eventually surfaced, showing some whiskers and decided to make another dash zweeeee..we..weeeee.. love that sound.. 55 mins since hook up, timed by the mrs. And we eventually managed to get this beast on board. Memory of a lifetime! ( if I ever relate this fight and say it took me an hour, I get told it was 55mins and I shouldn't exaggerate!!) Glad that the lodge had a working butcher scale that we could weigh the fish on before it lazily swayed and danced it's way back into the depths of the Zambezi. Congrats on a Beauty of a Bass too!! My guess would be that it was caught at Mteri?
    Thanks for sharing your vundu experience, I felt like I was with you willing the fish into the boat, they do give a very good tug and are fun to catch. Great tiger near Mana too, well done. My bass was caught in Darwendale (Manyame) about 50kms from Harare, 15 years ago the bass fishing there was as good as anywhere in the world but unfortunately illegal netting, the hassle with many Zimbabwean waters, has decimated the bass and bait population and fishing today has never fully recovered.
    Last edited by Tedx2; 2020/08/07 at 06:53 AM.
    Baobab BL1715 "Kamba"

But our advanced payment for camping in Mana (one of the highest camping tariffs in whole Africa for foreigners!) has gone down the drain. They were only willing to offer us 6 months credid, which is of no use for us.
    I'm more than happy to report, that Zimparks have actually changed their covid-19 cancellation policy. Credits for pre-pandemic reservations will be respected through 2021, so provided that travels will be possible next year, we will not need to pay twice for our stay at Mana Pools.

Big thanks to John (Tedx2) and Ant to help me sort this mess out. And thanks to Zimparks for their sensible decission.

So, if there is someone else in simmilar boat there (paid to Zimparks for their stay this year, but couldn't travel to Zim due to covid-19 restrictions), you can use yourpayments for the trip next year.
    Last edited by ortelius; 2020/08/07 at 01:40 PM.
    24 hours in a day.... 24 beer in a case.... Coincidence?
    -------------------------------------------------------------
    My blog: Our African Ramblings (https://safaribug.wordpress.com/)

21. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ortelius For This Useful Post:

I'm more than happy to report, that Zimparks have actually changed their covid-19 cancellation policy. Credits for pre-pandemic reservations will be respected through 2021, so provided that travels will be possible next year, we will not need to pay twice for our stay at Mana Pools.

Big thanks to John (Tedx2) and Ant to help me sort this mess out. And thanks to Zimparks for their sensible decision.

So, if there is someone else in similar boat there (paid to Zimparks for their stay this year, but couldn't travel to Zim due to covid-19 restrictions), you can use your payments for the trip next year.
    That's an absolute pleasure Jurij, happy that we could assist you. I'm very pleased that common sense has prevailed and that Zimparks have altered their policy. I believe that Zimbabwean residents are already being allowed into National Parks, hopefully by the start of next year we will all be able to return to the bush in Zimbabwe and other Southern African countries.
    Baobab BL1715 "Kamba"

23. The Following User Says Thank You to Tedx2 For This Useful Post: