Need some.info

Thread: Need some.info

Default Need some.info

Hi all

Im busy with a jeep project (build up) and the vehicle have a 2.8 straight 6 datsun engine. The existing owner doesnt know if its the old 2.8 skyline or nissan safari. Gearbox and diffs and transfer is nissan safari. How would i know which one and which spark plugs engin oil i need to use. Which oil i need for diffs gearbox etc. Any problems with these engins and drive train setup i need to know or look out for?

2017 VW Amarok 3.0 TDi V6 4Motion D/Cab
    2020 VW T Cross Highline R Line
    2019 Bushlapa Miskruier 1616

Default Re: Need some.info

The 2.8 is the L28. The basic motor is the same between Safari and Skyline and Laurels. The Safari were carburetor motors with old school distributor ignition. The spares shop should have the L28 bits listed for a service. Drivetrain should be C200 front diff which needs a normal EP90 gear oil, same for the TC. Rear end could be H233, or H260. Not sure if the H233 had a LSD, but the H260 did. For the LSD you must use something like Castrol LSX oil.

Check your propshafts, they might have grease nipples on the UJs and the DC joint on the top side of the front shaft, as well as the slip joints. Grease them periodically.

Something else to check for, is to inspect your Burfield joint, and see if you have diff oil leaking into your CV. This will compromise the life of the CV, and means that the seal between the diff tube, and CV has started leaking.

Post some pics of your project please.
    David/Hillbilly - 1997 SFA Nissan Sani 2,7 TD - 5" lift on 33" tires - Dual Transfer with 4.1 gears

http://www.youtube.com/user/davidabcab

Quote Originally Posted by bfreesani View Post
    The 2.8 is the L28. The basic motor is the same between Safari and Skyline and Laurels. The Safari were carburetor motors with old school distributor ignition. The spares shop should have the L28 bits listed for a service. Drivetrain should be C200 front diff which needs a normal EP90 gear oil, same for the TC. Rear end could be H233, or H260. Not sure if the H233 had a LSD, but the H260 did. For the LSD you must use something like Castrol LSX oil.

Check your propshafts, they might have grease nipples on the UJs and the DC joint on the top side of the front shaft, as well as the slip joints. Grease them periodically.

Something else to check for, is to inspect your Burfield joint, and see if you have diff oil leaking into your CV. This will compromise the life of the CV, and means that the seal between the diff tube, and CV has started leaking.

Post some pics of your project please.

Thanks very much for the info. I will do so

Here is some
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG-20200728-WA0039.jpg 
Views:	101 
Size:	81.6 KB 
ID:	582794   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG-20200728-WA0037.jpg 
Views:	99 
Size:	91.8 KB 
ID:	582795   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG-20200728-WA0032.jpg 
Views:	105 
Size:	74.8 KB 
ID:	582796   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG-20200728-WA0042.jpg 
Views:	109 
Size:	86.6 KB 
ID:	582797  

5. The Following User Says Thank You to hein100 For This Useful Post:

So that is still Jeep chassis, but with full Safari drivetrain? This would put your diff pumpkins on the right front and rear.
    David/Hillbilly - 1997 SFA Nissan Sani 2,7 TD - 5" lift on 33" tires - Dual Transfer with 4.1 gears

So that is still Jeep chassis, but with full Safari drivetrain? This would put your diff pumpkins on the right front and rear.
    Yep, that was a good idea IMHO, removes all the issues with flipped transfer cases or axles and access to spares.

I'd rather search for spares for an H233 than a Dana30........
    Jakes Louw
    2012 Jeep Sahara Unlimited 3.6 V6
    Percivamus

Quote Originally Posted by jelo View Post
    Yep, that was a good idea IMHO, removes all the issues with flipped transfer cases or axles and access to spares.

I'd rather search for spares for an H233 than a Dana30........
    But were the wranglers not left drop diff front and centre rear? Going right drop opens up a world of problems with real estate allocated for other stuff under the car. In my case, the fuel tank.

At least the L28 should have no funny sump clearance issues.

But were the wranglers not left drop diff front and centre rear? Going right drop opens up a world of problems with real estate allocated for other stuff under the car. In my case, the fuel tank.

At least the L28 should have no funny sump clearance issues.
    ha ha that is probably a kit car that Hein has, so the guys used either Safari or Hilux SFA chassis and cut them to length.

If it is a genuine YJ, then it used the same chassis and drivetrain as a CJ-7 so would have had a Dana30 front and either an AMC-20 or a Dana44 rear with a Dana20 transfer case.

Strangely, the Dana20 would have been RHS drop front and center rear............So the Safari might have had issues with the RHS rear.
    Jakes Louw
    Percivamus

ha ha that is probably a kit car that Hein has, so the guys used either Safari or Hilux SFA chassis and cut them to length.

If it is a genuine YJ, then it used the same chassis and drivetrain as a CJ-7 so would have had a Dana30 front and either an AMC-20 or a Dana44 rear with a Dana20 transfer case.

Strangely, the Dana20 would have been RHS drop front and center rear............So the Safari might have had issues with the RHS rear.
    Would be nice to see a documentary of pics of the underside. I know what I went through because I did not want Dana under my rig. But first prize if that was a safari chassis with a body swop. I can't see the leafs in the front, so I am not sure that it is a safari chassis, or they have done a coil conversion.

Would be nice to see a documentary of pics of the underside. I know what I went through because I did not want Dana under my rig. But first prize if that was a safari chassis with a body swop. I can't see the leafs in the front, so I am not sure that it is a safari chassis, or they have done a coil conversion.
    Dana is fine these days. Interwebs spares are cheap and fast. The guys did this back in the day because Wranglers weren't available.

But nowadays, at the price of a TJ Wrangler, why bother? Just buy a TJ and be done.
    Jakes Louw
    Percivamus

yes its all safari chassis and drive train, glass viber wrangler body with the 2.8 straight 6 motor

Leaf or coil front suspension?

Quote Originally Posted by hein100 View Post
    Hi all

Im busy with a jeep project (build up) and the vehicle have a 2.8 straight 6 datsun engine. The existing owner doesnt know if its the old 2.8 skyline or nissan safari. Gearbox and diffs and transfer is nissan safari. How would i know which one and which spark plugs engin oil i need to use. Which oil i need for diffs gearbox etc. Any problems with these engins and drive train setup i need to know or look out for?
    Guys thanks so far how would i know it have a lsd at the back. Its been ribberrised so u cant see if its a normal diff or lsd diff.

I miss my Safari should never have sold it. If lift the rear wheels off the ground. In neutral if turn a wheel and the other turns same direction its LSD if it turns opposite then normal diff.

Quote Originally Posted by Wylie E View Post
    I miss my Safari should never have sold it. If lift the rear wheels off the ground. In neutral if turn a wheel and the other turns same direction its LSD if it turns opposite then normal diff.
    That is what we all say - but if you kept it you would have missed a lot of sleep from the noise of it rusting away on your driveway
    David
    Nissan Patrol 4.8 GRX

At least the mechanical bits would be ok. I got a 1980 Safari drivetrain in the Sani, and besides my own stupidity, the diffs and transfer case is still going strong. LSD on the rear is still so tight that it tends to drag a wheel now and then on tight turns on tar, even after 40 years. Front diff is starting to leak oil on the Burfield joint though. TC is a bit of an unknown at the moment after overloading the Sani without bumpstops too short, and popped the shocks and smashed the propshaft into the TC so hard it started leaking oil. Leak stopped when I removed the load, but I don't know yet if I have some terminal damage till I get back to the car after lockdown and a financial reset.

Body work is always repairable, even if it is with fiberglass, and then the rust is sorted forever. Chassis is another kettle of fish though.

Body work is always repairable, even if it is with fiberglass, and then the rust is sorted forever. Chassis is another kettle of fish though.
    My Safari Station Wagon was an '83 - Part of my yearly maintenance was to repair and respray lower door sills and wheel arches. Chassis and rest of body was good. Miss the simplicity of the whole car.
    Last edited by GRX; 2020/08/14 at 11:24 AM.
    David
    Nissan Patrol 4.8 GRX

hi guys

i need again some help, i am looking for a 19teeth gearbox speedo pinion, just the plastic part, who can i contact. ill add some pics now

Also who is a nissan / datsun guru in Cape Town area
    Last edited by hein100; 2020/09/08 at 05:44 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by hein100 View Post
    hi guys

i need again some help, i am looking for a 19teeth gearbox speedo pinion, just the plastic part, who can i contact. ill add some pics now
    Here is the pics
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG-20200908-WA0032.jpg 
Views:	12 
Size:	20.0 KB 
ID:	587829   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20200908_092546.jpg 
Views:	9 
Size:	86.0 KB 
ID:	587830   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20200908_092539.jpg 
Views:	8 
Size:	128.8 KB 
ID:	587831