VERY VERY Disappointed in GARMIN !!!! - Page 3

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Default Re: VERY VERY Disappointed in GARMIN !!!!

You cannot load pre-planned routes on a cell phone.
    You cannot record tracks on a cell phone.
    You cannot download tracks for future use from a cell phone.
    You cannot use a cellphone when no coverage is available. Maps.me need to be preloaded

NO BRAINER

I use my Garmin Zumo 660 of 2007 all the time when off the beaten track.
    Johan Maree
    Isuzu 300 d-tec
    MB Gwagen G350 Bluetec
    Nissan NP300 2.4 4x4
    BMW R1200GS & GSA

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to JohanMaree For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by JohanMaree View Post
    You cannot use a cellphone when no coverage is available. Maps.me need to be preloaded

NO BRAINER

Thanks Johan... It is quite obvious that some people go to a place, me, I like to go on a trip.

I drive a five cylinder bakkie and tow an army inspired van.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Hedgehog For This Useful Post:

I had a similar issue with my Garmin 276C which is still possibly the best GPS produced. It packed up and took it to Garmin for repair. Was told it is too old and they traded it in and sold me a Montana 600. The 276C should never have been discontinued. It is all about Sales & Profit. Suppose that's what keeps any company alive at the cost of its clients.
    Alan Exton
    ZS6E
    LandCruiser 100 Series VX 4.2 Diesel

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Alan Exton For This Useful Post:

Have you heard of a simple light bulb that last a lifetime?

Yes, it can. But will be stupid of the manufacturer to produce it
    Johan Maree
    Isuzu 300 d-tec
    MB Gwagen G350 Bluetec
    Nissan NP300 2.4 4x4
    BMW R1200GS & GSA

Quote Originally Posted by SinWolf View Post
    Hi all,

With this in mind... Is it worth it to support Garmin and buy Garmin products going forward
    No! Thats the long and short version of the answer!

I got a vivosport. The strap broke after about 18 months. The whole unit is moulded as one piece and you cant replace the strap!! I mean real, a watch but you cant replace the strap?

Now I have to dishup again a few thousand for a new model as they can not repair the unit.

So, will I ever buy a Garmin product again? No!

And thats without the top of the line GPS unit I bought from Makro which failed within the first 2 weeks. I was lucky enough to get my money back on that, but Garmin wont see me again.

Quote Originally Posted by John Hollow View Post
    And what do you do if you are in an area with no mobile phone reception? And what do you do if you have no data?
    You could also buy a Landrover Explore phone, which comes with a spare battery pack that turns on Adventure Pack that has built in GPS... no data or cellphone reception required. Oh, and the phone is also quite useful as a multi-purpose device and listening to audiobooks around the campfire Can also use it to log your journey and upload the trip log for friends and family to follow when signal is obtained
    Wayne
    Our destiny is shaped by the path we follow - choose your paths wisely

Quote Originally Posted by Wayne Langford View Post
    You could also buy a Landrover Explore phone, which comes with a spare battery pack that turns on Adventure Pack that has built in GPS... no data or cellphone reception required. Oh, and the phone is also quite useful as a multi-purpose device and listening to audiobooks around the campfire Can also use it to log your journey and upload the trip log for friends and family to follow when signal is obtained
    Hmmm

That is a very expensive hammer to hit a cheap nail. And most cell phones have a GPS receiver anyway, and lots of options of off-line maps.
    Jakes Louw
    2012 Jeep Sahara Unlimited 3.6 V6
    Percivamus

I have already qualified my reasons and the use of my handheld GPS in a previous post... No cellphone can replace the functions of my GPS, unfortunately... Like somebody mentioned also, use the correct tool for the job...
    2017 Mitsubishi Triton 2.4 D/C 4X4 Auto Diesel

Lynx Bashplate
    DIY Drawer system
    DIY Drop Fridge Slide
    My ULTIMATE dual battery box

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to SinWolf For This Useful Post:

NO BRAINER

Obviously a lot of responses come from people who don't overland or think they do. Even in traffic can you imagine pulling out a map or looking it up on your phone if your data is out. Crazy world where everything is now throw away if 5 years old.

Another feature I used with my hunting this year, was to project a waypoint... I shot a Kudu at 482 meters, so I know the distance from me to point of impact is 482 meters... So with the Montana, I could point the arrow towards the spot where the kudu was standing, and the place a waypoint 482m from me... Now, I can walk to where the point of impact was without stressing to much about if I'm at the right spot or not... It's VERY easy to lose that spot where you shot that Kudu, if you have to walk 482m in a particular direction through bushveld...
    2017 Mitsubishi Triton 2.4 D/C 4X4 Auto Diesel

Lynx Bashplate
    DIY Drawer system
    DIY Drop Fridge Slide
    My ULTIMATE dual battery box

15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to SinWolf For This Useful Post:

Angry Re: VERY VERY Disappointed in GARMIN !!!!

Quote Originally Posted by KobusDJ View Post
    Same happened with mine.
    Me too.
    Life starts
    where the comfort-zone ends.

Quote Originally Posted by unrealchris View Post
    No! Thats the long and short version of the answer!

I got a vivosport. The strap broke after about 18 months. The whole unit is moulded as one piece and you cant replace the strap!! I mean real, a watch but you cant replace the strap?

What are you replacing it with?

Quote Originally Posted by unrealchris View Post

Now I have to dishup again a few thousand for a new model as they can not repair the unit.

You should have done your homework first before buying a VivoSport. Anyone can see and know that with any single molded unit something that has to flex/bend/fold will always break. Bit unfair to be biased towards Garmin for this as other brands such as Polar, Fitbit and so on also have the same concept. Sometimes it is cheaper to manufacture it these ways.

I have been using both Polar and Garmin - both have their good and bad designs. My current watches is a VivoActive 4 and Fenix 5. Bit overkill as both shares, roughly, the same features except for price. Both are of different technical design and both will come with their own share of issues. The VivoActive gave my issues, right from the bat, with some problems with its touch screen but I asked for a swap/trade in and got everything sorted. The Fenix has had some issues with stuck buttons but after opening it, it was fixed.

My advice to anyone who is willing to listen is: always but always look at the ergonomic and usability design of any device. If something can break, it will.

As for the original post, wish I could help with advice - best one can do, is ask for a trade-in. It is a fact of our lives that electronical devices has a limited lifespan, on average 5 years, depending on design and usage. So, always keep that in mind and sell/trade it before it expires.

Another feature I used with my hunting this year, was to project a waypoint... I shot a Kudu at 482 meters, so I know the distance from me to point of impact is 482 meters... So with the Montana, I could point the arrow towards the spot where the kudu was standing, and the place a waypoint 482m from me... Now, I can walk to where the point of impact was without stressing to much about if I'm at the right spot or not... It's VERY easy to lose that spot where you shot that Kudu, if you have to walk 482m in a particular direction through bushveld...
    Yup. Great functionality.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20200803_100337.jpg 
Views:	92 
Size:	164.4 KB 
ID:	582813
    Chris
    ZS5CMA
    '17 Hilux 2.8GD-6 D/C 4x4 A/T

I have few years old top range Garmin in a car for Southern Africa driving. If it breaks I buy an other. Add to that paper map, Garmin map on laptop for route planning, 3 phones and one pad with HERE maps. In Europe phones and HERE maps and suction cup for the phone plus car charger plus paper map.

Number of people getting lost today (in a serious way) is higher than in the past. They trust cell phone navigation. It simply doesn't work. Garmin has an issue also. Paper map, compass and electronic "Get me home gadget" are what is needed in out of road situations (real bush locally and forests in Scandinavia). Currently Finland has very good berry and mushroom season. Phone users are getting lost all over.

Use correct tool for the task like OP.
    Jouko
    ----------
    2003 Grand Cherokee 4.7l
    2012 Smart
    Never drive a normal car 8)

Yeah my 6 year old Go Live 825 needed a new battery. (which i haven't used much)
    Same story, no longer supported and cannot sell me a new battery but will offer me a new model for thousands of ZARs.
    I declined and also decided I'm not buying a TomTom again.
    I ordered an after market battery from amazon, fitted it and using my Go Life 825 again.
    Next time the battery needs replacement I might shop around for a new GPS.
    Oh and the Live service stopped working . . .

Talking Re: VERY VERY Disappointed in GARMIN !!!!

NO BRAINER

Exactly. Try doing this with your Nokia.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Puros.JPG 
Views:	93 
Size:	86.5 KB 
ID:	582835
    Now where did I see that Rhino?
    Albert

Progress might have been alright once, but it has gone on too long.

23. The Following User Says Thank You to Albert Ross For This Useful Post:

So disappointed in the backup/repair service !!!!
    Maybe try Navworld (https://navworld.co.za) they may be able to help.
    '06 TJ Wranger | 4.0L Auto| 4.5" Lift | 35" Copper STT | 15" MT Classic II Black | 4.88 Gears

Hi all,

I just need to vent a bit...

So I have a Garmin Montanta 600 GPS... Had it for years now... Awesome GPS...

The power button on the Montana is molded into the casing... Now my power button broke away from the casing (this is only the rubber button part, and not the physical switch on the circuit board... The switch is fine and the GPS functions, but the rubber button is missing and you need to switch the unit on/off using a tooth pick...

So the unit needs a new back cover... That's all...

Sent the unit in to Garmin... They received it on Monday... I just received the an email saying that the Montana 600 is no longer supported and they can't fix it, and they quoted me R8.5k for a new unit (Montana 680)...

BUT, the Montana 680 uses the exact same casing as the Montana 600... WHY can't they just supply me with a Montana 680 casing from this current model?

So disappointed in the backup/repair service !!!!

With this in mind... Is it worth it to support Garmin and buy Garmin products going forward
    Hi SinWolf

Sadly it is something all companies do in order to promote future purchases. There is no use in a company developing a product that will "last forever". This is something that we as users/consumers will have to accept as it is something we will never get away from. What all the companies out there are doing is called "Planned Obsolescence". From Wikipedia

"In economics and industrial design, planned obsolescence (also called built-in obsolescence or premature obsolescence) is a policy of planning or designing a product with an artificially limited useful life, so that it becomes obsolete (i.e., unfashionable, or no longer functional) after a certain period of time.[1] The rationale behind this strategy is to generate long-term sales volume by reducing the time between repeat purchases (referred to as "shortening the replacement cycle").[2] It is the deliberate shortening of a lifespan of a product to force consumers to purchase replacements.[3]"

Just goes to show how we are being manipulated to a degree
    2016 Ford Ranger XL DC 4x4 - Die kar agter die donkie
    2009 Mitsubishi Triton DC 4x2 - Sold
    2005 Mitsubishi Colt 2.4 DC 4x2 - Sold

26. The Following User Says Thank You to Jacques_Nel For This Useful Post:

Unhappy Re: VERY VERY Disappointed in GARMIN !!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Albert Ross View Post
    Exactly. Try doing this with your Nokia.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Puros.JPG 
Views:	93 
Size:	86.5 KB 
ID:	582835
    Now where did I see that Rhino?
    We have booked a trip for Kaokoland for September, but it looks like we have to cancel that trip because of Covid-19 (like we had to cancel our April Kruger trip as well).
    2020 sucks...

By the way, it looks to me like you entered the Skeleton Coast National Park through the Hoarusib riverbed...
    Sssh... I won't blab: seen it, done it, been there - it's beautiful!

Regarding the Garmin after-sales service: here in Europe also disappointing.
    I have a 60Csx handheld and replaced it three years ago with a 64st.
    The 64st broke down after two years while we were in the middle of CKGR, thank God I took the 60Csx with me as a backup.

When we returned home, the 64st was replaced by Garmin with a refurbished model but I had to pay 95 extra because it had fallen out of warranty by three months.
    Used it last year in Kgalagadi, guess what: it broke down again.
    Meanwhile, the 10 year old 60Csx is still working like a charm.

I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast