So I took the plunge - Page 5





Page 5 of 18 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 ... LastLast
Results 81 to 100 of 346
  1. #81
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Location
    Pretoria
    Age
    45
    Posts
    1,330
    Thanked: 1071

    Default Re: So I took the plunge

    Quote Originally Posted by jelo View Post
    any chlorine or peroxide based product will make the beer taste funny

    but it is ultimately your choice, I'm just trying to help
    OK cool - I was asking because I never though of vinegar as a cleaner - will certainly take your advice as bleach seem a bit harsh and needs a thorough rinsing to get the smell out.
    Ford Ranger 3.0Tdci Super Cab 4x4 (workshop whore)


  2. #82
    Join Date
    Aug 2017
    Location
    Pretoria
    Age
    30
    Posts
    576
    Thanked: 863

    Default Re: So I took the plunge

    Quote Originally Posted by WAJ View Post
    So, I gooied the little baggy of yeast into the drom but, now nothing seems to happen - is it suppose to buble and poep through the little breather in the cap or is ek te haastig? Sal ek teen vrydag al kan beginne suip?
    Jy sal niks deur die proppie kan sien nie, nee. Vrydag is bietjie optimisties, maar volgende week Vrydag is meer haalbaar as jy gelukkig is. As jy baie dors is kan jy bietjie "hand sanitizer" kom haal wat ek nou distilleer (dis 'n joke).

  3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Toxxyc For This Useful Post:


  4. #83
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    De Wildt
    Age
    57
    Posts
    38,698
    Thanked: 15022

    Default Re: So I took the plunge

    Quote Originally Posted by WAJ View Post
    OK cool - I was asking because I never though of vinegar as a cleaner - will certainly take your advice as bleach seem a bit harsh and needs a thorough rinsing to get the smell out.
    Bleach will destroy organics as well as bacteria. You CAN use it if you a) intend to rinse thoroughly and b) disinfect with vinegar afterwards.

    If you're starting with new, clean bottles, I would just sanitise with vinegar.........
    Jakes Louw
    2012 Jeep Sahara Unlimited 3.6 V6
    Percivamus

  5. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to jelo For This Useful Post:


  6. #84
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Pretoria
    Posts
    862
    Thanked: 968

    Default Re: So I took the plunge

    Quote Originally Posted by jelo View Post
    Bleach will destroy organics as well as bacteria. You CAN use it if you a) intend to rinse thoroughly and b) disinfect with vinegar afterwards.

    If you're starting with new, clean bottles, I would just sanitise with vinegar.........
    Waar kan ek die fancy asyn kry?

  7. #85
    Join Date
    Aug 2017
    Location
    Pretoria
    Age
    30
    Posts
    576
    Thanked: 863

    Default Re: So I took the plunge

    I never thought about vinegar. Good call. Although I have to say that a proper dilution of something like Milton's doesn't really pick up in the final product unless you're really looking for it.

    I'm seeing my chems place again tomorrow. Want to see where we're standing on the sanitizer I want to mix for myself and sell on my site. Not sure if I want to use peracetic acid, or sommer phosphoric acid straight (with a surfactant).

    I started playing with 85% Phosphoric acid today, and it seems to work like a charm. I cut it 50/50 with AcidiSan and mixed it with a bit more water, but calculators now say it should be DAMN low in pH. Explains why my skin feels all funny after sanitizing the bottles. I need to get the concentrations right...

  8. #86
    Join Date
    Aug 2017
    Location
    Pretoria
    Age
    30
    Posts
    576
    Thanked: 863

    Default Re: So I took the plunge

    Quote Originally Posted by Morne - Skip View Post
    Waar kan ek die fancy asyn kry?
    Koop 2l bottels asyn by Checkers.

  9. #87
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Pretoria
    Age
    50
    Posts
    486
    Thanked: 444

    Default Re: So I took the plunge

    If I may ask a question that is related to the brewing and bottling. Does things (bacteria) on surfaces kill the fermenting of the brew?
    Current - 2009 Mazda BT50 3.0CRDi 4x4 d/c
    Previous - 2005 Ranger 2.5 tdi 4x2 d/c (277 422km)

  10. #88
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    De Wildt
    Age
    57
    Posts
    38,698
    Thanked: 15022

    Default Re: So I took the plunge

    Quote Originally Posted by Morne - Skip View Post
    Waar kan ek die fancy asyn kry?
    https://www.game.co.za/game-za/en/Al...BoC8U8QAvD_BwE
    Last edited by jelo; 2020/08/05 at 12:29 PM.
    Jakes Louw
    2012 Jeep Sahara Unlimited 3.6 V6
    Percivamus

  11. The Following User Says Thank You to jelo For This Useful Post:


  12. #89
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    De Wildt
    Age
    57
    Posts
    38,698
    Thanked: 15022

    Default Re: So I took the plunge

    Quote Originally Posted by Spiceman View Post
    If I may ask a question that is related to the brewing and bottling. Does things (bacteria) on surfaces kill the fermenting of the brew?
    oh for sure

    Bacteria can in fact cause a range of off flavours and smells and inhibit and even stop yeast cell propagation.

    Brewing is 90% cleaning and 10% waiting.
    Jakes Louw
    2012 Jeep Sahara Unlimited 3.6 V6
    Percivamus

  13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jelo For This Useful Post:


  14. #90
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Pretoria
    Posts
    862
    Thanked: 968

    Default Re: So I took the plunge

    OOOO dis letterlik chips asyn. Dog dis ander fancy goed. Dankie

  15. #91
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Location
    Pretoria
    Age
    45
    Posts
    1,330
    Thanked: 1071

    Default Re: So I took the plunge

    Quote Originally Posted by Toxxyc View Post
    Jy sal niks deur die proppie kan sien nie, nee. Vrydag is bietjie optimisties, maar volgende week Vrydag is meer haalbaar as jy gelukkig is. As jy baie dors is kan jy bietjie "hand sanitizer" kom haal wat ek nou distilleer (dis 'n joke).

    Moenie Joke nie - desperate times calls for desperate measures
    Ford Ranger 3.0Tdci Super Cab 4x4 (workshop whore)


  16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to WAJ For This Useful Post:


  17. #92
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Centurion
    Age
    32
    Posts
    1,432
    Thanked: 3956

    Default Re: So I took the plunge

    Wat stel julle voor is die beste manier om die brousel se temperatuur binne die perke te hou (nie te koud of warm word nie). Ons huise in SA is maar swak met isolasie.

    Ek het ook nog AcidiSan (as ek reg onthou) sal dit werk? Anders verstaan ek reg dat asyn verdun moet word met water?
    Pieter Kruger le Roux

  18. #93
    Join Date
    Feb 2018
    Location
    Doringkloof
    Age
    57
    Posts
    111
    Thanked: 82

    Default Re: So I took the plunge

    Quote Originally Posted by Redman View Post
    Wat stel julle voor is die beste manier om die brousel se temperatuur binne die perke te hou (nie te koud of warm word nie). Ons huise in SA is maar swak met isolasie.

    Ek het ook nog AcidiSan (as ek reg onthou) sal dit werk? Anders verstaan ek reg dat asyn verdun moet word met water?
    Wrap it in a jacket :
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    It is a long road to eternity, enjoy the journey.

    Subaru XV Silver 2019 (Ghost In the Machine)

  19. #94
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Centurion
    Age
    34
    Posts
    1,302
    Thanked: 1385

    Default Re: So I took the plunge

    The brew has already started bubbling away. I can hear the gas escaping through the valve and it also smells.... very lekke still!

    It is going to be a long week and a half....
    Sarel
    "Grent" Vitara
    EX- EL JIMBO - RED AND "FAST" 8)

  20. #95
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Sandton
    Age
    70
    Posts
    752
    Thanked: 79

    Default Re: So I took the plunge

    Ordered! About when can I collect??
    2013 Discovery 4 SDV6S
    2008 Discovery 3 TDV6S (SWAMBO)
    Imagine Comfortvan

  21. #96
    Join Date
    Aug 2017
    Location
    Pretoria
    Age
    30
    Posts
    576
    Thanked: 863

    Default Re: So I took the plunge

    Quote Originally Posted by Cecilh View Post
    Ordered! About when can I collect??
    If you selected the local pickup option, I'll speak to you in the week Sir. I got my stock delivered today and I'm busy getting everything in order. I JUST set my website in stock again, and it seems the first ~30 is already spoken for through pre-orders. I'm shipping from Tuesday (first orders will go by then) so you'll probably be able to collect at that same time. Thanks for the business!

  22. The Following User Says Thank You to Toxxyc For This Useful Post:


  23. #97
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Location
    Pretoria
    Age
    45
    Posts
    1,330
    Thanked: 1071

    Default Re: So I took the plunge

    So, how do I get the brew out of the tank and into bottles? Can I just use my DIY siphon?


    I added a piece of 8mm aluminium pipe to a plastic hose to weigh the end that goes into the bottle down a bit, otherwise just using the soft pipe it tended to curl up and I could not see where it sits in an opaque fluid - I use it to siphon my trash wine to avoid getting too much sediment.
    Ford Ranger 3.0Tdci Super Cab 4x4 (workshop whore)


  24. #98
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Melkbosstrand
    Posts
    842
    Thanked: 894

    Default Re: So I took the plunge

    Quote Originally Posted by WAJ View Post
    So, how do I get the brew out of the tank and into bottles? Can I just use my DIY siphon?


    I added a piece of 8mm aluminium pipe to a plastic hose to weigh the end that goes into the bottle down a bit, otherwise just using the soft pipe it tended to curl up and I could not see where it sits in an opaque fluid - I use it to siphon my trash wine to avoid getting too much sediment.
    That will work.

  25. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Kola For This Useful Post:


  26. #99
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Midrand
    Age
    73
    Posts
    10
    Thanked: 2

    Default Re: So I took the plunge

    It is totally amazing what you have done. Best of luck.!

  27. #100
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    JHB
    Posts
    20
    Thanked: 0

    Default Re: So I took the plunge

    Well done , i have shared/posted link to your website to all my contacts.
    Good luck with the new venture

Page 5 of 18 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 ... LastLast

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •