Page 22 of 25 FirstFirst ... 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 LastLast

Default Re: So I took the plunge

Quote Originally Posted by Toxxyc View Post
    So, 5g per liter is already "on the safe side", but that's fine :P

To spill less, you can buy something called a "bottling wand". It fills the bottle from the bottom to the top, minimizing wastage.
    Ja I saw those but no brewing shop (that I know off) has any stock of these. Seem that it would work very well as it only allows beer to flow when you push it down on the bottle bottom and stops when you lift it up. Genius but simple.

I checked the PET bottles and they both seem hard (ish) so there is hope. I must say using that twin handle capper is a breeze and works very well, even an idjit like me could not mess that up.

Raak nou dors, baie dors maar geduld is wat ek moet leer
    Willem

Ford Ranger 3.0Tdci Super Cab 4x4
    (workshop whore)

Been using Jake's pump suggestion from an earlier post. Ardendorff, just make sure you sterilise it and make sure you do the the same once you have bottled, or the the shaft will rust. I am 6 drums in and still happy. You need 2 to help with bottling and to focus not to stick the the tube to far in the drum.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to caesarcp For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by caesarcp View Post
    Been using Jake's pump suggestion from an earlier post. Ardendorff, just make sure you sterilise it and make sure you do the the same once you have bottled, or the the shaft will rust. I am 6 drums in and still happy. You need 2 to help with bottling and to focus not to stick the the tube to far in the drum.
    I also use the same pompie. My wife checks the pipe in the drum, and I bottle. I probably ask her 100 times while bottling "die pyp is nie in die gunk nie ne liefie"

LOL. I would suggest driving to shops like Brewmart. Their Centurion branch had LOTS of bottling wands when I checked last time.

Also, guys, if you're going to be making more batches, I would DEFINITELY recommend you look into getting a bottling bucket. It shouldn't cost much more than R150 to R200 to make, and it'll make your life an absolute breeze on bottling days going forward. Trust me.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Toxxyc For This Useful Post:

LOL. I would suggest driving to shops like Brewmart. Their Centurion branch had LOTS of bottling wands when I checked last time.

Also, guys, if you're going to be making more batches, I would DEFINITELY recommend you look into getting a bottling bucket. It shouldn't cost much more than R150 to R200 to make, and it'll make your life an absolute breeze on bottling days going forward. Trust me.

I did not know they had a branch in Centurion - will have to go make a turn there, but on their website its all sold out, perhaps they don't update the site that often.

What is a bottling bucket, as compared to my brewing bucket that has a tap at the bottom where I bottle from?
    Willem

(workshop whore)

Ja the bottling process is probably the only reason why im only on bucket 4 now, and not 10

Quote Originally Posted by WAJ View Post
    I did not know they had a branch in Centurion - will have to go make a turn there, but on their website its all sold out, perhaps they don't update the site that often.

What is a bottling bucket, as compared to my brewing bucket that has a tap at the bottom where I bottle from?
    They had an overflow of online customers when we went into initial lockdown last year. Since then the online shop has been closed. With the shop closed I don't think they update website quantities.

I've bought stuff in store which they did not show in the website
    Pieter le Roux

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Redman For This Useful Post:

WAJ

If anyone wants me to build bottling buckets - I'm more than willing to do so for a small fee (similar to what brew shops charge).

With a bottling bucket you can ferment in anything, and then on bottling day you sanitize the bucket and tap, and then the easy work begins. Instead of measuring out a teaspoon of sugar for each bottle, you use about 100g to 150g of sugar for the whole batch, dissolve it in boiling water and then pour it into the bottling bucket.

Your fermented beer gets poured on top of that dissolved sugar so that it mixes in the bucket already. No need to measure into each bottle individually. This is called "batch priming".

Finally, you attach the bottling want to the spigot/tap, open the tap and then you can bottle, quickly and easily.

I've gone a step further and attached a 12mm ID genuine silicone tube to the tap, and the other end of the tube got the bottling wand on it. Now I bottle from the bucket directly into the bottles, without even picking the bottles up or removing them from the crates. So bottling becomes a lazy man's job. It's almost fun.

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Toxxyc For This Useful Post:

If anyone wants me to build bottling buckets - I'm more than willing to do so for a small fee (similar to what brew shops charge).

With a bottling bucket you can ferment in anything, and then on bottling day you sanitize the bucket and tap, and then the easy work begins. Instead of measuring out a teaspoon of sugar for each bottle, you use about 100g to 150g of sugar for the whole batch, dissolve it in boiling water and then pour it into the bottling bucket.

Your fermented beer gets poured on top of that dissolved sugar so that it mixes in the bucket already. No need to measure into each bottle individually. This is called "batch priming".

Finally, you attach the bottling want to the spigot/tap, open the tap and then you can bottle, quickly and easily.

I've gone a step further and attached a 12mm ID genuine silicone tube to the tap, and the other end of the tube got the bottling wand on it. Now I bottle from the bucket directly into the bottles, without even picking the bottles up or removing them from the crates. So bottling becomes a lazy man's job. It's almost fun.

But this means that you still need to pour the contents from the fermenting vessel into the bottling bucket, disturbing the sediment somewhat?
    Willem

(workshop whore)

But this means that you still need to pour the contents from the fermenting vessel into the bottling bucket, disturbing the sediment somewhat?
    Yes, but that's why you pour in one go, slowly, controlled, and not stopping in the middle. That way some of the sediment gets into the bucket, but the vast majority stays in the fermenter. It makes a more solid "yeast cake" if you cold crash and fine with gelatin a few days before pouring it over as well.

Yes, but that's why you pour in one go, slowly, controlled, and not stopping in the middle. That way some of the sediment gets into the bucket, but the vast majority stays in the fermenter. It makes a more solid "yeast cake" if you cold crash and fine with gelatin a few days before pouring it over as well.

O gonnas nou word die fancy terminology weer gebruik I needs more training - eendag is eendag, sodra ek nog 'n workshop aangebou het by die huis. My kombuis lyk al klaar soos 'n brewery en ruik amper dieselfde ook.
    Willem

(workshop whore)

16. The Following User Says Thank You to WAJ For This Useful Post:

Geniet nou lekker 'n lekker koue pale ale

Het gedink ek het dalk te min suiker in die bottels gegooi, maar die 750ml het lekker fizz, nie te veel nie, net genoeg om die tong te tickle.

So wanneer maak die borrelstore weer oop - ek was jare laas in een en het nog genoeg brew om my 'n ruk te please ?
    Willem

(workshop whore)

18. The Following User Says Thank You to WAJ For This Useful Post:

New

My gebottelde Paal Alie nou net mooi 'n week gestaan. Brand om een al te toets. (Hul voel al mooi geswel, maar ek dink hul kan nog 'n week staan voor hul yskas toe gaan)

Dan het ek nog 'n Toxxyc Blond Ale wat wag om gebrou te word. Sal maar net moet mans apteek toe vir bitjie rum en gin.
    Sarel
    "Grent" Vitara
    EX- EL JIMBO - RED AND "FAST" 8)

20. The Following User Says Thank You to New For This Useful Post:

WAJ

Quote Originally Posted by New View Post
    My gebottelde Paal Alie nou net mooi 'n week gestaan. Brand om een al te toets. (Hul voel al mooi geswel, maar ek dink hul kan nog 'n week staan voor hul yskas toe gaan)

Dan het ek nog 'n Toxxyc Blond Ale wat wag om gebrou te word. Sal maar net moet mans apteek toe vir bitjie rum en gin.

Wat jy waar kry? Ek het nie geweet hy het blond nie
    Willem

(workshop whore)

Wat jy waar kry? Ek het nie geweet hy het blond nie

Hy maak dit self in klein sarsies. Vra hom!
    Sarel
    "Grent" Vitara

23. The Following User Says Thank You to New For This Useful Post:

WAJ

Hy maak dit self in klein sarsies. Vra hom!

He's been holding out on me !

So brew en bottel hy dit of is dit ook self brew & bottel soos die pale ale?
    Willem

(workshop whore)

He's been holding out on me !

So brew en bottel hy dit of is dit ook self brew & bottel soos die pale ale?

Selle pad as die Pale Ale. Kom in dieselle kan met prop en gis by. Hy sÍ wel dit moet eintlik kouer gebrou word as die pale ale, maar dat dit kan werk teen, koelerige, kamer tempratuur. Dit gaan net meer fruity uitkom. Laasgenoemde klink vir my meer soos 'n pluspunt as iets om oor te worry!
    Sarel
    "Grent" Vitara

26. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to New For This Useful Post:

Selle pad as die Pale Ale. Kom in dieselle kan met prop en gis by. Hy sÍ wel dit moet eintlik kouer gebrou word as die pale ale, maar dat dit kan werk teen, koelerige, kamer tempratuur. Dit gaan net meer fruity uitkom. Laasgenoemde klink vir my meer soos 'n pluspunt as iets om oor te worry!
    Eintlik moet beide die pale ale en die blonde koel gefermenteer word. Die gis is S-04 so jy kan sy specs Google as jy meer info wil het.

@WAJ ja ek maak blondes op bestelling. Ek maak ook stouts, belgians, pilsners, ens. Het selfs al 'n pampoenbier gemaak, met 1.5kg se pampoen, kaneel, bruinsuiker, the works.

28. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Toxxyc For This Useful Post:

Eintlik moet beide die pale ale en die blonde koel gefermenteer word. Die gis is S-04 so jy kan sy specs Google as jy meer info wil het.

@WAJ ja ek maak blondes op bestelling. Ek maak ook stouts, belgians, pilsners, ens. Het selfs al 'n pampoenbier gemaak, met 1.5kg se pampoen, kaneel, bruinsuiker, the works.

Ek moet op 'n kol jou blonde gaan brou, maar moet eers bietjie spasie "opdrink" in my kombuis
    Willem

(workshop whore)

Ok so I am 7 drums in, got 40 lts, bottled and busy consuming. My last drum is still sealed.. I am tired of pumping this Adendorff thing each time, sometimes with help, but mostly on my own. So bought a fermenting bucket with a tap from Brewcraft

Can I just pour the wort from the drum into the bucket, pitch the yeast, seal and wait to bottle, from the tap?
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Page 22 of 25 FirstFirst ... 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 LastLast