Page 21 of 25 FirstFirst ... 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 LastLast

Default Re: So I took the plunge

When I woke this morning the brew was bubling like crazy. At least it means the yeast is alive and doing its work.

10 days, and then how long in the bottle before I can partake?

Ek raak lus en dors, is al gatvol vir tafel en devils peak
    Willem

Ford Ranger 3.0Tdci Super Cab 4x4
    (workshop whore)

Quote Originally Posted by WAJ View Post
    is al gatvol vir tafel en devils peak
    Sies man! Gargle with more sanitiser and send the Tafel this way

Estee = S T = Sean Towlson

Total 4x4 Novice with no experience whats-so-ever

''Nothing makes the Earth seem so spacious as to have friends at a distance; they make the latitudes and longitudes''. H.D. Thoreau.

Hummer H3 V8

W.A.P Objectivist

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Estee For This Useful Post:

WAJ

Quote Originally Posted by Estee View Post
    Sies man! Gargle with more sanitiser and send the Tafel this way

Not THAT gatvol
    Willem

(workshop whore)

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to WAJ For This Useful Post:

Well done, and wishing you the best of luck. Reading this thread made me think that you should consider franchising your business (considering that some of the posts are from all over the country). That way people can have access closer to where they are, without the hassle of depending on couriers or the Post Office. Also consider using platforms like BidorBuy. Just some ideas...
    Hyundai Terracan 2007 2.9Crdi - Tjm suspension & lift, Frontrunner roofrack, snorkel, rims blah, blah blah.
    2010 Terios 4x4 swb - so SWAMBO can stop asking to drive mine!

*cough* . . . Blonde

*cough* busy milling malt as we speak

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Toxxyc For This Useful Post:

Guys, trying to gauge some interest here. I am strongly considering hosting a small "how to" workshop at my house, giving a quick breakdown of how to brew your own beer using the Brew In A Bag method. I would like to gauge interest before I set it all up. I will have space for 4 people per session, and I'll definitely host more than one if there's interest.

The session will include the following:

1. Welcoming, introductions and whatnot.
    2. Purpose of the session, as well as a quick breakdown of how beer is made, a short history if people would be interested, etc.
    3. Recipe breakdown.
    3. Ingredients.
    4. Process.
    5. Yeast, what it does, and why we want to praise the Lord for blessing us with these tiny microbes.
    6. Brewing. Brewing of a batch of wort, of which each person will receive a batch of wort to take home and ferment into beer.
    7. Airlock, grommet, yeast and instructions on how to ferment and finish your beer at home.
    8. A boerewors roll with a soft drink somewhere between arrival and brewing time - I'll braai the wors according to your liking, with sweet onions and everything.

Afterwards I'll pour a homebrew and we can chat for a while before everyone gets sent home. I'll be brewing on my "moerby" homebrew kit. It's VERY basic and it'll give you a good idea of how cheaply beer can be made at home. Such a session will typically take around 5 hours, start to finish, and I'm considering it for a Saturday afternoon, starting around 12:00 midday. Cost is something I'm not clear on. Some guys said R1,500 seems like a good price for such a course, considering I'd supply the stuff I supply, but I'm not sure if it's too much? Too little?

I'm also considering further sessions - such as advanced recipe design and processes, including other fermentables and unfermentables, beer styles and even a basic distillation session.

EDIT: Oh yes, location would be at my place in Pretoria.

And as a PS: I'm no pro. At all. I just want to carry over some info that some might find interesting.

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Toxxyc For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Toxxyc View Post
    Guys, trying to gauge some interest here. I am strongly considering hosting a small "how to" workshop at my house, giving a quick breakdown of how to brew your own beer using the Brew In A Bag method. I would like to gauge interest before I set it all up. I will have space for 4 people per session, and I'll definitely host more than one if there's interest.

2. Purpose of the session, as well as a quick breakdown of how beer is made, a short history if people would be interested, etc.
    3. Recipe breakdown.
    3. Ingredients.
    4. Process.
    5. Yeast, what it does, and why we want to praise the Lord for blessing us with these tiny microbes.
    6. Brewing. Brewing of a batch of wort, of which each person will receive a batch of wort to take home and ferment into beer.
    7. Airlock, grommet, yeast and instructions on how to ferment and finish your beer at home.
    8. A boerewors roll with a soft drink somewhere between arrival and brewing time - I'll braai the wors according to your liking, with sweet onions and everything.

Afterwards I'll pour a homebrew and we can chat for a while before everyone gets sent home. I'll be brewing on my "moerby" homebrew kit. It's VERY basic and it'll give you a good idea of how cheaply beer can be made at home. Such a session will typically take around 5 hours, start to finish, and I'm considering it for a Saturday afternoon, starting around 12:00 midday. Cost is something I'm not clear on. Some guys said R1,500 seems like a good price for such a course, considering I'd supply the stuff I supply, but I'm not sure if it's too much? Too little?

I'm also considering further sessions - such as advanced recipe design and processes, including other fermentables and unfermentables, beer styles and even a basic distillation session.

And as a PS: I'm no pro. At all. I just want to carry over some info that some might find interesting.
    You had me at boerewors roll ..... But unfortunately nappies and formula top my groceries list at present

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Morne - Skip For This Useful Post:

3. Recipe breakdown.
    3. Ingredients.
    4. Process.

GREAT idea. If I was in your hood, I would definiterly attend and feel that R1,500 is a fair fee

3. Recipe breakdown.
    3. Ingredients.
    4. Process.

I think this is an excellent offer, unfortunately i am in Cape Town.
    I would attend if i lived up North.
    i think your price is fair, one has to charge for people to see value.
    Last edited by Prune; 2021/01/13 at 10:57 AM. Reason: i forgot to write anything before I hit reply. Not used to desktop version
    Mark Prutton

I'm breaking my self imposed rule about no forum posts for the duration, but just need to say something:

As the Harties Chapter of the Worthog club we offer brewing classes at our premises as long as you join the club with a nominal R150 per annum fee.

We use YOUR system if you have one, or else one of ours, and step you through the process from recipe creation (using Beersmith), through to fermentation and even bottling if required.

We will ferment on site in our fermentation chamber.

We offer all ingredients at COST to the attendee. We do not charge for gas or electricity. We charge a nominal fee of R200 which includes lunch and bottomless beers.

We are both certified BJCP judges. We have both been brewing for over 5 years.

Just saying: Join a club, it is cheaper.

Worthogs handles Gauteng, and the Southyeasters handle the WC.

We can assist you to make contact with other homebrewers in other areas.
    Jakes Louw
    2012 Jeep Sahara Unlimited 3.6 V6
    Percivamus

Hi, have been fermenting for over two weeks but wort still bubbling away. Can I start to bottle or must I wait? I have a bit of a time constraint so would if possible like to start bottling soonest.
    Last edited by Cecilh; 2021/01/16 at 01:01 PM.
    2013 Discovery 4 SDV6S
    2008 Discovery 3 TDV6S (SWAMBO)
    Imagine Comfortvan

Quote Originally Posted by Cecilh View Post
    Hi, have been fermenting for over two weeks but wort still bubbling away. Can I start to bottle or must I wait? I have a bit of a time constraint so would if possible like to start bottling soonest.
    Measure your gravity. I if stays the same for 24hours you can bottle.
    If not your bottles will just explode because of the active yeast still present.
    My wife is simple, in a complicated way

19. The Following User Says Thank You to Benson For This Useful Post:

Greetings Gents So my brew is currently bubbly away and has about ten day before I need to look at bottling . I need to make a plan with caps and a capper . Is it worth the extra cash to buy a bench capper or does the two handed own do the trick .Bottle wise I am going to use the 2M bottles that I have not been able to get refilled in Moz .
    Last edited by ThomasT; 2021/01/19 at 01:22 PM.
    Thomas

2007 3.0 D4D DC 4X4 31 " Bridgestone A/T, Ride Rite,Long Range Tanks, NL Dual Battery System
    2008 Jurgens Xplorer
    2012 Pajero GLX Now with Air Max on the back

Quote Originally Posted by Cecilh View Post
    At what temps is it fermenting, Sir?

Quote Originally Posted by ThomasT View Post
    Greetings Gents So my brew is currently bubbly away and has about ten day before I need to look at bottling . I need to make a plan with caps and a capper . Is it worth the extra cash to buy a bench capper or does the two handed own do the trick .Bottle wise I am going to use the 2M bottles that I have not been able to get refilled in Moz .
    I have been using a twin lever capper for years. It works just fine for me. Yes, there are drawbacks and all that, but for me I'm happy with it.

I'd love a bench capper, but budget.

Website says out of stock, but I'm making on a per-order basis, chaps. Demand isn't where it was, but it's at least still a bit active!

At what temps is it fermenting, Sir?

Unfortunately room temp so around 25
    2013 Discovery 4 SDV6S
    Imagine Comfortvan

Swambo runs a 3 hour ceramic painting course which includes all paints used, a ceramic dish/bowl to paint, glazing and firing. Cost is around R700 and excludes lunch. So your price is not
    bad. How much wort would a student get to take home?
    2013 Discovery 4 SDV6S
    Imagine Comfortvan

I have bottled on 13 Jan after about 14 days of fermentation at ambient (cool-ish) room temps.

I had 24 glass 750 ml bottles and used my hand twin lever capper, for the first time mind you. Filled about 18 of them, but was struggling with the tap on my fermenting bucket as its close to the same diameter as the bottle necks so spillage was a bit more than I would have liked. How do I get to fill it all the way to the neck without the foam overflowing the bottle? Some of them has a bit too much headroom - hope that does not affect the carbonation process too much.

Need to get myself a bottle filling wand but all brewing shops seem to be out of stock, again.

I also filled 2 x 1L brown PET bottles so I can check on whether they get "hard" as the carbonation is taking place.

I erred on the safe side with the sugar, adding about 3g (ml?) to the 750 bottles and 4g to the 1L PET bottles.

Its now been 8 days but I have yet to open one and check. Will give it some more time, just to be safe.

KANNIE

WAGGIE
    Last edited by WAJ; 2021/01/21 at 01:39 PM.
    Willem

(workshop whore)

So, 5g per liter is already "on the safe side", but that's fine :P

To spill less, you can buy something called a "bottling wand". It fills the bottle from the bottom to the top, minimizing wastage.

27. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Toxxyc For This Useful Post:

Page 21 of 25 FirstFirst ... 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 LastLast