TV in caravan - Page 2

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: TV in caravan

Default Re: TV in caravan

Quote Originally Posted by bigboy529 View Post
    I get your point, but why would you want to stream in HD to a 32" TV which is probably not even HD ready let alone FHD?
    It's like people who want to stream in HD or 4k to watch on their phone.
    We have a FHD 32" If you stream SD its like watching internet blue movies in the 90's, the pixels are so big you cant make out what goes where. Streaming HD is the only way to go. SD streaming services are actually for tablets and laptops with smaller screens.
    Last edited by LandyLove; 2020/07/30 at 07:28 AM.
    20 Ranger Supercab 2.2 auto XLS 4x4
    18 Ranger Double cab Tdci (Swambo)
    12 Conqueror courage

Dawie van der Merwe
    If you fail to plan, you plan to fail.
    A goal without a plan is just a dream.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to LandyLove For This Useful Post:

Unless you are somewhat tech savvy Jelo's suggestion is basically your only option. Streaming on a 3G dongle outside of main centers will probably be more frustration than anything else

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Half-Pint For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Half-Pint View Post
    Unless you are somewhat tech savvy Jelo's suggestion is basically your only option. Streaming on a 3G dongle outside of main centers will probably be more frustration than anything else
    we stream on 3/4G but it sucks data faster than the ANC tenderpreneurs suck COVID-19 money
    Jakes Louw
    2012 Jeep Sahara Unlimited 3.6 V6
    Percivamus

6. The Following User Says Thank You to jelo For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by jelo View Post
    we stream on 3/4G but it sucks data faster than the ANC tenderpreneurs suck COVID-19 money
    wasted an opportunity for a more colorful analogy

Have to agree on streaming on 3/4G at a campsite, we have a 3G router in the caravan for emails etc but generally the signal is not good enough to try and stream something. Download and take content with on a HDD - trying to stream will cost more and lead to a lot of frustration IMHO
    Anton Muller

Nothing screams "Bad workmanship" like wrinkles in the duct tape

2012 Q7 4.2 TDI
    Birkin SR20VET race car

8. The Following User Says Thank You to mullerza For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by mullerza View Post
    wasted an opportunity for a more colorful analogy
    sorry it was the best one that popped up at the time
    Jakes Louw
    Percivamus

I use a TP-LINK travel router (https://www.tp-link.com/uk/home-netw...er/tl-wr902ac/) that has a USB input with NAS capability. I stick a 128gb memory stick pre-loaded with 100+ movies into it and then it creates local wifi network (not connected to internet unless using a MiFi type device) from which the kids (and parents) can stream their movies (from the memory stick) simultaneously to watch on iPads tablets of laptops. No need for TVs or internet connection. Each one can watch what they want

It works wonders to keep kids busy on long road trips or rainy days on holidays. If 128 GB of movies is not enough, you can connect up to 4TB HDD, but then requires and additional external power source in your car/caravan for HDD.
    Platkar: Subaru Forester 2.5X Manual + LR (Echo RTT not yet fitted)
    Offroad Monster: Daihatsu Terios 1.3, Centre Diff-lock, Rear LSD, Freeflow Exhaust, 15/215/70 Bridgestone Dueler H/T Tyres

When Swambo and I set of camping, we leave Tv`s and Radios at home. Only take a cell phone for emergencies. Have no problems with signals, signal finders and antennas. Leaves much more time for enjoying the Great Outdoors. After all, that is what camping is about.
    Alit

Wees altyd bedagsaam teenoor ander.

Quote Originally Posted by Alit View Post
    When Swambo and I set of camping, we leave Tv`s and Radios at home. Only take a cell phone for emergencies. Have no problems with signals, signal finders and antennas. Leaves much more time for enjoying the Great Outdoors. After all, that is what camping is about.
    We used to be like that when we were employed. Friday 16:00 you leave your worries at the office. When you take leave, you switch off your phone. When you are self employed things are very different. I sat in Punda once capturing slips into pastel for a VAT return. We have to book campsites around cellphone and internet reception. It sucks, but working from the bush still beats working from the office.

One day I will be able to camp where I dont have to worry about phone / internet.

When camping I prefer bos TV as well. But I have camped before where we set up camp in a storm, and 3 days later pack up in a storm. Could only braai once in 3 days because of rain. Then a TV of some sort might be handy, you can only play dr-dr so many times.
    20 Ranger Supercab 2.2 auto XLS 4x4
    18 Ranger Double cab Tdci (Swambo)
    12 Conqueror courage

Dawie van der Merwe
    If you fail to plan, you plan to fail.
    A goal without a plan is just a dream.

Quote Originally Posted by novice 2015 View Post
    I want to mount a small TV (32") in my caravan, I dont want to haul DSTV dish with.
    The plan is to connect it to my laptop, cell phone, netflix, showmax ect, and a DVD player.
    1) do you get 32" TV in a smart TV? (My vendor says no!)
    2) how many parks have wi fi?
    3) any other recommendations?

Thank you
    We have a 28" LG Smart Tv in our caravan on the front chest of drawers and a normal Avtex 21" TV in the bedroom area. We have an 85cm Oyster self seeking satellite dish with twin LNB fitted permanently to the caravan so no issue there.
    However we have a 4k UHD Firestick and this gives us all we need as can view Prime, Netflix, Disney+, Rakuten etc however I have a sim card with unlimited data which costs me about R400 a month so do not need wifi from another source. My son who is a ranger and has worked on a few parks has implied that wifi can be very patchy and subject to people streaming.
    I am in the UK, but the same principals should apply.
    2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland Summit CRD chased by a 2018 Buccaneer Cruiser twin axle caravan.

Quote Originally Posted by LandyLove View Post
    We used to be like that when we were employed. Friday 16:00 you leave your worries at the office. When you take leave, you switch off your phone. When you are self employed things are very different. I sat in Punda once capturing slips into pastel for a VAT return. We have to book campsites around cellphone and internet reception. It sucks, but working from the bush still beats working from the office.
    Ditto, SWAMBO is on call for her export software so we take a laptop and 3G dongle everywhere.

Had excellent coverage from Vodabom in Moz, by the way. Full 3G on the beach.
    https://www.google.co.za/maps/place/...6!4d35.5144724
    Jakes Louw
    Percivamus

I want to mount a small TV (32") in my caravan, I dont want to haul DSTV dish with.
    The plan is to connect it to my laptop, cell phone, netflix, showmax ect, and a DVD player.
    1) do you get 32" TV in a smart TV? (My vendor says no!)
    2) how many parks have wi fi?
    3) any other recommendations?

Thank you
    I still prefer the old school bosveld TV, rather than a new-age HDMI TV when out camping.
    But each to their own nÍ?

Get a cheap TV like the following:
    https://www.pnp.co.za/pnpstorefront/...00000739744_EA

The get yourself one of these babies (when they're on special) from Takealot:
    https://www.takealot.com/6k-android-...d/PLID55063654

Note that you have to get that small little qwerty keyboard with, otherwise you going to broaden you vocabulary at it.
    It has some build in memory, so you can pre-download a few of your favourite shows onto it and also connect an external hard drive to it.
    It also supports wifi, so if you have an internet connection (say a Vodacom wifi hot spot router), you can connect it to the internet.

PS: just remember to get a HDMI cable as well, otherwise you'll have to devices that can not talk to each other.
    Last edited by etienne.vd; 2020/08/03 at 10:26 AM.

Our tablet is our TV when camping. We watch DSTV on it. We go to a resort that has wifi and where you can fish. Swambo is also smiling.
    Youth is such a wonderful thing - what a pity it is being wasted on the young.

You should be able to get a 12v TV in ZA also. They usually have an external transformer like a laptop. Most also have a built in DVD drive (probably obsolete these days)

You can then mount the tv in your caravan and just plumb 12v straight into it and not use the 240/12v converter.

Not sure what the inside of your van looks like, but in our case we used a wall mounted swivel arm so we can face it towards either where our daughter sleeps or towards our bed in the rear.

Get a Google Chromecast dongle. Plug into HDMI port in TV. Then you simply stream what you want to watch off of your phone.

Alternatively most of those tvís have a usb input where you can play previously downloaded content from.

Here is one on Fleabay

No more Jeeps for me for a while.
    2009 Ford Ranger PK 3.0

Whatever you do, please get yourself (and the wife/kids) a set of headphones. There is NOTHING more irritating than having to listen to your neighbors Tv blasting away with Sewende Traan or whatever.
    And please don't tel me that the volume is turned way down - in the late of night, that sound travels very far in the quit of the bush.

19. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to hatjohan For This Useful Post:

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2