Kafue roads/routes

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Question Kafue roads/routes

We are planning to visit Kafue NP during July and would like to ask the Zambia experts:

- Which is the most practical/viable route to the southern entrance of Kafue, from Livingstone via Kalomo or from Katima Mulilo/Sesheke?
    - What is the road network like inside the park? How accessible are the Busanga Plains from Lufupa camp?
    - Can you recommend a comprehensive map of Kafue? Tracks4Af not detailed enough.

I'm watching this........as I'm there in August and may be coming up from Katima.

Thirstie, I think this is one for you!
    Mike
    "A poxy, feral, Brit architect who drinks bad beer and supports the wrong rugby team." Tony Weaver

"Mike for President" Freeflyd

You are not going to get much more than the T4A maps and keep in mind that the roads network is not as developed as what you will get in the Kruger.

The road to Kaingu SL was very rough in January. The road Kafue NP to Sesheke and over the Zambezi at Sitoti was good in January.

The road from Lusaka to Mumbwa is also good. From Mumbwa to McBrides camp used to be a quiet nasty but the Chinese have upgraded the road to the pontoon turnoff and you can now travel quiet safely at about 70kph on the road, slashing 2hrs traveling time from Mumbwa to McBrides. We spent Easter at Chris and Charlotte McBride. Always good there and with camping.

Have not confirmed this but what we hear is that some of the lodges in Busanga will remain closed this season.

Btw Mike, the tetsies did not bother us. At about 50kph they could not keep up with the vehicle and when we stopped, I first sprayed the outside of the car with pesticide. There were no tetsies on the river and they only occur in the Miombo bush. Swambo was happy!
    Last edited by mfuwefarmer; 2009/04/18 at 09:36 PM. Reason: Changed Mark to Mike, sorry Mike!

Hi,

To answer your questions:

- I personally would use Katima any day as all other borders can be a pain in the butt! You can then do Sesheke to Mulobezi and spend the night at Nanzhila Camp (about 4 hours) or push on to Itezhi Thezi (a further 4 hours). The western entrance to Nanzhila is very clear on T4A as is the route. We did it Sept last year and also have T4A. It is fun 4x4 all the way but can get very sandy in areas so stay alert.

- From IT (Itezhi Tezhi) you have choices but the most enjoyable, again on T4A, is to go to Kaingu via the river road ie you will avoid the main road which brings you out btwn Mumbwa and Kafue River. To say the least, this main road is hell! Avoid if you can. The river road takes you to Kaingu and on to Puku Pan and then past us (we are at Mukambi Safari Lodge). There is another route Kaingu-Mukambi but isn't nearly as enjoyable as the river route. Kaingu doesn't take caravans or trailers but Puku Pan do. There is also a community campsite in between Kaingu and Mukambi. Again note that there are deep dips and some sandy spots but the road is generally pretty good. IT to Kaingu about 2.5 hours and the same again Kaingu-Mukambi.

- Lufupa is approx 2 hours from Mukambi and the Plains a further 2 hours to the tree line. Mfuwe is dead right, several of the Camps have closed. PM me if you want further info on camps if you are wanting to stay up there. Tends to be prohibitively expensive even by European standards.

I see you are a new member. Just in case you don't know what a PM is, it means a private message which you can send by clicking on the persons name. It will give you the option to PM. You can also email me if you would like.

Skrik, please note that the times I have given you btwn the different places depends hugely on the road conditions and what you are carrying ie trailer etc. In Sept it is a lot sandier probably than July so you may travel faster. Also, just watch T4A in the Mulobezi area - it may send you on an alternative route which takes you thru dense thorn bush which scratches the hell out of your vehicle.

Last word: Kalomo is probably the most logical answer (still use the Katima border if you can and drive thru Liv) but not nearly as much fun as driving thru the park.

Mfuwe, I understand the Mongu-Senanga-Sitoti-Sesheke road has been absolutely devestated by this year's rains. Not even by 4x4. We were in Mongu yesterday and enquired as we are wanting to go down and do some fishing end of May and everyone doubts there is any chance of it opening to vehicles at all. If you have contacts down there could you ask them? The lodge owners should know.

Maybe Tooi can give us an update on the roads in Western Zambia
    The lodge operators up in the Busanga Plains will have to adopt an alternative business model or face "extinction"!
    Last edited by mfuwefarmer; 2009/04/18 at 09:38 PM.

I was rather hoping to have the Shesheke to Mongu route to Kafue as an option in August........I've a friend in the area who might be able to help with info........I'll let you know what I hear.

Mike
    "A poxy, feral, Brit architect who drinks bad beer and supports the wrong rugby team." Tony Weaver

"Mike for President" Freeflyd

Quote Originally Posted by skrikvirniks View Post
    - Which is the most practical/viable route to the southern entrance of Kafue, from Livingstone via Kalomo or from Katima Mulilo/Sesheke?
    - What is the road network like inside the park? How accessible are the Busanga Plains from Lufupa camp?
    - Can you recommend a comprehensive map of Kafue? Tracks4Af not detailed enough.
    Hi Skrik,

Have a look at my trip report on Kafue here http://www.4x4community.co.za/forum/...ia+trip+report

As you will see, we went in via Livingstone/Kalomo and then into the southern section through the Dumdumwenze gate, but if we go again, I would do it Katima - Mulobezi - Dumdum, just for the change of scenery - and because of the horror story of a road between L'Stone and Zimba.

There isn't really a "network" of roads inside Kafue - there is one main north-south road, and then tracks around each camp. Most of the park is almost completely trackless.

On the whole, the tracks are good, but much of the park is completely impassable in the rainy season. By July it is usually dry enough to get to most places, although the Busanga Plains and the Nanzhila River route in the south can be impassable if there have been exceptional rains.

You can buy a relatively good map of the southern sector of the park at the Dumdumwenze gate in the south for $5. Using that with T4A you won't get lost (BTW, most of the park is on T4A, save for a few minor loop roads). I couldn't find a decent map of the northern section, but then there really aren't that many tracks - the National Geographic Africa atlas has about the best map I have seen. A lot of the maps show a road running all the way down the western side of Lake Itezhi Tezhi from the Hook Bridge down to Ngoma. That road no longer exists in navigable form.

Mfuwefarmer - glad and sad to hear the Chinese have upgraded the road to the pontoon turnoff: I'm sure Chris and Charlotte will be delighted, and hopefully you won't write off another trailer! But sad, because that probably means they are going to move in and set up big cotton or something else plantations in the area.

Tooi - if you read this, please let us know about the Senanga Sesheke road. How is your camp? Did Kabula survive the floods?

Tony
    Last edited by Tony Weaver; 2009/04/19 at 12:55 PM. Reason: adds detail
    Tony Weaver

1991 Land Rover 110 Hi-Line S/W 3.5l V8 carburettor
    Cooper Discoverer STT tyres, four sleeper Echo rooftop tent
    2012 Mitsubishi Outlander.

Previously Land Rover 1968 SII, 1969 SIIA, 1973 SIII, 1983 Toyota HiLux 2litre, 2006 Land Rover Freelander TD4 HSE.

Mfuwe, agree with you wholeheartedly re. Busanga Plains. We are looking at some pretty serious options ourselves for our camp up there. We are also trying to get Zawa to give us some operational flexibility but it is slow going so far.

Tony, rains been much the same as last year. We will stick to taking our first guests mid-July and will access the camp ourselves for set up end May/beg June. Not the finest time of year by a long shot. If it weren't for our TDI's we would never get there. Even the old Bedford struggled last year.

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Weaver View Post
    .......because that probably means they are going to move in and set up big cotton or something else plantations in the area.
    I am breeding special tsetsies which will be released should our Jing Jing friends decide to do anything else but fixing the road.

On a more serious note I am aware that apart from milking the mineral resources of central Africa, they are also heavily involved in hardwood harvesting in Western Zambia

Tooi seems to be offline, probably on a slow drift down the Zambezi on his way to the falls......how privileged.

Just hope his camp is still in tact!
    Last edited by mfuwefarmer; 2009/04/19 at 08:39 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Thirstie View Post
    We are looking at some pretty serious options ourselves for our camp up there.
    Thirstie, I did not know you guys had a camp in Busanga plains? Any camping facilities or is it a pure luxury tented camp without private camping facilities?

Default Thanks!

Thank you, all you brilliant people, for your responses to our questions!
    We have booked 3 nights at Nanzhila, 4 @ KaingU and 4 @ Lufupa, so far. Looking forward . Will keep eyes on this forum...

Niks

Mfuwe, no camping allowed on the Busanga Plains at all. Hence my comments about Zawa perhaps being more flexible. We don't want to turn it into a Kruger but it would be nice to be able to show more people this incredible place. So we have a fully catered tented camp of the 4 star sort. But we will launch a local self drive deal mid-May for our camp. Email me if you want details.

Skrik, you are absolutely NOT allowed to drive past Mukambi without stopping and at least having a beer or a coffee! How many people are you?

Hallo Guys,
    We have survived the floods and Kabula Lodge is 100% dry and OK!!
    Guests were transported from the main road (M10) across the airstrip to the Lodge by boat.... a African safari at its best.
    Went down stream and met with Gavin, Penny and the 3 girls they are all Ok except for the their swimming pool that is now Olimpic size.

We had a wonderful time at the Kuomboka and the road through the forest was a adventure on its own. ( I will post some photo's soon.)

The water is going down at a rapid rate and predictions are that by middle May one will be able to drive to Kabula.
    The road from Sesheke to Sitoti is Ok then on to Senanga is the usual mess after the rains. ( obviously the ferry at Sitoti is having a rest.)
    By mid June should be OK to drive to Luiwa, if not the route on the Western side of the river would be the one to take, maybe with a couple of detours were some of the bridges have been washed away.
    Regards.

Hi Tooi,

Glad to hear you survived intact, and that your deck didn't end up on Gavin and Penny's front lawn! The Zambezi must have been an awesome sight in full flood like that. Did they ever complete the causeway road from Mongu to Kalabo or did that also disappear in the floods?

Tony
    Tony Weaver

Previously Land Rover 1968 SII, 1969 SIIA, 1973 SIII, 1983 Toyota HiLux 2litre, 2006 Land Rover Freelander TD4 HSE.

Hi Skrik,

When will you be in Kafue? I am planning the same route and stops as you staring at Nanzhilla on 3 July.

Can anyone tell me if I will be able to get fuel (diesel) at Itezhi-Tezhi on 6 July as this is a public holiday in Zambia - will the Zesco office be open on a public holiday?

Paolo

Hi Paolo,

I doubt very much Zesco will be open on the public holidays (6, 7 and 8th) according to my calendar. Your last fuel will be in Livingstone and your next fuel in Mumbwa. The Zesco office also closes for two hours of siesta every day, if I remember correctly - 12noon to 2pm. Perhaps you can make a plan with Tom Heineken [email protected] at Kaingu www.kaingu-lodge.com to store some fuel for you? Tom will also be able to tell you reliably if they are open on the holiday. Also, a warning that all the camps except for Nanzhila get very busy over that long weekend, so it is important to book.

Tony
    Last edited by Tony Weaver; 2009/04/23 at 01:31 PM. Reason: adds Tom's contact details
    Tony Weaver

Hi Tooi,
    Thanks for the info on the roads. We will be entering Zambia at Sesheke on 08 June 2009 on route to Mongu and Kafue. Can you please update road conditions and the ferry at Sitoti towards the end of May?

Regards
    Johan de Villiers

There s/be fuel at Kalomo, but always, always travel with extra fuel. I carry 160lt extra wherever I go, just in case and it has come in quiet handy more than once. 160lt is an over kill and 2 or 3 jerries s/be good. Don't pass an opportunity to fill up on that route, the next stop might not have!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast