Kgalagadi Trip Report - November 2019 - Page 2

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Default Re: Kgalagadi Trip Report - November 2019

Final greetings to anyone that has been following this report from part 1, 2 days ago I posted part 2 and I have now completed part 3 which is attached below. We have also posted all 3 parts with our initial post for any that may be reading our report for the first time. Amazing how much time you have when on effective "lockdown". Our sincere thanks to those that have travelled with us over the last week or so, we hope that you have enjoyed reading our report as much as we have enjoyed compiling it, if you received half as much fun reading it as we did we will have achieved our aim. Stay safe and travel responsibly during these strange time, best regards John and Linda
    Attached Images Attached Images
    John 2014 Toyota Hilux 4x4 3.0 D4D
    Baobab BL1715 "Kamba"
    "I never knew of a morning in Africa when I woke up and was not happy" - Ernest Hemingway

Kgalagadi 2019 Namibia 2019 Gonarezhou 2019 Mana/Tafika 2018 Kgalagadi 2017 Lion, Hippo, Eland Leguaan, Python

2. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Tedx2 For This Useful Post:

Wow, thank you so much for this. Excellent sightings, photographs and write up! Sommer jaloers. Cannot wait to get there again.
    One of the stupid mistakes in life is to underestimate peoples level of stupidity!

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Luka For This Useful Post:

What a fantastic read, did the complete report this morning early, what a pleasure to have travelled with you guys on this amazing trip. How I miss KTP, it is my favorite place on earth.

John if I may ask for you to tell us a bit about the logistics behind the scene, and I am not referring to bookings, but rather how you guys stock up on food and drink, fridge management, meal plans, etc. Do you have a fridge in the Hilux and Baobab?

Whilst touring Southern Namibia for instance I suppose it is not an issue when going through towns on a regular basis, but KTP for six weeks is very different. The prices are steep and availability of foodstuff in the shops inside KTP is not that great from experience. Whilst at MM for instance do you cross into Nam for shopping?

Thanks again for the time and effort to produce such quality reports, truly appreciated.
    Last edited by DCTheron; 2020/08/01 at 08:51 AM.
    Dirk Theron
    Land Cruiser FJ
    Hilux 2.8 GD-6 Auto 4x4
    BL865 Ratel4
    Lifeís a journey, enjoy the ride

6. The Following User Says Thank You to DCTheron For This Useful Post:

WOW. Thanks yet again John & Linda. You keep the fire inside of me alive in these tough times. I see there still some more to come, can not wait. Maybe someday our paths cross, you never know.

"In nature, nothing is on order - appreciate what you do get to experience" - Myself
    Defender 90 TD5 - BL Boskriek
    Namibia Trip Report, Kaa Wilderness Trip Report, Wildcoast Trip Report, Botswana Trip Report, Kgalagadi Trip Report, Lesotho Trip Report

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Frans 90 For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by DCTheron View Post
    What a fantastic read, did the complete report this morning early, what a pleasure to have travelled with you guys on this amazing trip. How I miss KTP, it is my favorite place on earth.

John if I may ask for you to tell us a bit about the logistics behind the scene, and I am not referring to bookings, but rather how you guys stock up on food and drink, fridge management, meal plans, etc. Do you have a fridge in the Hilux and Baobab?

Whilst touring Southern Namibia for instance I suppose it is not an issue when going through towns on a regular basis, but KTP for six weeks is very different. The prices are steep and availability of foodstuff in the shops inside KTP is not that great from experience. Whilst at MM for instance do you cross into Nam for shopping?

Thanks again for the time and effort to produce such quality reports, truly appreciated.
    Hi Dirk, thank you for the compliment regarding our report, it is such a privilege to have been able to make this trip, we are very blessed to be able to "Experience His Beauty". Like you we regard KTP as our heaven on earth.

Regarding the logistics we run 2 x 90 litre National Lunas. Some may consider this a luxury but for us it provides a form of redundancy in case one goes on the blink but equally important is the ability to be able to make trips like this without any concerns. The one in Kamba has a 190w solar panel attached and after 9 months in the van we have never run low on battery, towards the end of the KTP trip we did experience a buggered battery but that was not through a fault of not charging, we are also happy to park in an area where we aren't in full shade as the solar is fixed. The one in the car obviously runs off an auxiliary battery and when in game parks we travel so much that generally the DC - DC charger keeps us topped us even when there is no power available, if we don't travel we have a 100w movable solar panel. The 100w solar kept us going for 9 days at De Hoop in Richtersveld and the vehicle never moved, by the middle of every day the battery was at 100%, it was September and very sunny. As regards catering we fully stocked at Windhoek with adequate meat for 6 weeks and numerous vegetables. We eat very simply, only two meals a day, as a preference, not because of fridge/freezer space, we may have muesli in early mornings before game drive but not normally, our meals are brunch at +/-11.00am and dinner at 8.00pm. Brunch tends to be a cooked meal like bacon eggs, toast, mushrooms etc and dinner is normally a braai, curry, stirfry or something equally simple. Linda tends to get veges that last like potatoes, sweet potatoes, carrots, sweetcorn, cabbage, most of this goes in the fridge, we also buy some frozen vegetables. Linda makes our bread in camp. We get as much fresh milk at the start of the trip as possible but top up for the rest of the stay with long life milk. We do buy a few things at the SANParks shops to replenish but to be honest we don't need much else. We drink plenty of water, with or without concentrates and probably more wine than we should!!! We both like plenty of ice and we make our own in the deep freeze, we are not overly cautious in the use of the fridge and probably open it a little more often that we should but we have never had any hassles with a drop in battery power, in fact we have never not reached up to 100% in a day. I hope this answers all your queries, if there is anything I have missed please fire away with questions. Cheers John
    Baobab BL1715 "Kamba"
    "I never knew of a morning in Africa when I woke up and was not happy" - Ernest Hemingway

Kgalagadi 2019 Namibia 2019 Gonarezhou 2019 Mana/Tafika 2018 Kgalagadi 2017 Lion, Hippo, Eland Leguaan, Python

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Tedx2 For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Frans 90 View Post
    WOW. Thanks yet again John & Linda. You keep the fire inside of me alive in these tough times. I see there still some more to come, can not wait. Maybe someday our paths cross, you never know.
    Hi Frans, thanks for your comment, I trust you have read all 3 of sections of this report and when you speak of "more to come" are referring to the "coming soon" comment at the end of part 3. Please note this comment refers to a Botswana trip that we are booked for in 2021, not one that we have undertaken already, this trip should have occurred in May 2020 but has now been delayed to May 2021, at this stage with Covid-19 even that is debatable.

I am having much fun reading your historic reports and have read the Namibia, Kaa and Botswana trip reports linked to the bottom of your signature, you write excellent reports, you have indirectly taught me much as to how to do things, thank you. We would love to meet up at some point in time, what is your BL number, we will keep a lookout when we return to Africa?
    Baobab BL1715 "Kamba"

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Tedx2 For This Useful Post:

Yes John, meaning that Bots trip still to come. Tx, appreciate your comments on my reports. Holding thumbs for the future.

PS B737.
    Last edited by Frans 90; 2020/08/02 at 09:01 AM. Reason: Added

"In nature, nothing is on order - appreciate what you do get to experience" - Myself
    Defender 90 TD5 - BL Boskriek
    Namibia Trip Report, Kaa Wilderness Trip Report, Wildcoast Trip Report, Botswana Trip Report, Kgalagadi Trip Report, Lesotho Trip Report

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Frans 90 For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Tedx2 View Post
    Hi Dirk, thank you for the compliment regarding our report, it is such a privilege to have been able to make this trip, we are very blessed to be able to "Experience His Beauty". Like you we regard KTP as our heaven on earth.

Regarding the logistics we run 2 x 90 litre National Lunas. Some may consider this a luxury but for us it provides a form of redundancy in case one goes on the blink but equally important is the ability to be able to make trips like this without any concerns. The one in Kamba has a 190w solar panel attached and after 9 months in the van we have never run low on battery, towards the end of the KTP trip we did experience a buggered battery but that was not through a fault of not charging, we are also happy to park in an area where we aren't in full shade as the solar is fixed. The one in the car obviously runs off an auxiliary battery and when in game parks we travel so much that generally the DC - DC charger keeps us topped us even when there is no power available, if we don't travel we have a 100w movable solar panel. The 100w solar kept us going for 9 days at De Hoop in Richtersveld and the vehicle never moved, by the middle of every day the battery was at 100%, it was September and very sunny. As regards catering we fully stocked at Windhoek with adequate meat for 6 weeks and numerous vegetables. We eat very simply, only two meals a day, as a preference, not because of fridge/freezer space, we may have muesli in early mornings before game drive but not normally, our meals are brunch at +/-11.00am and dinner at 8.00pm. Brunch tends to be a cooked meal like bacon eggs, toast, mushrooms etc and dinner is normally a braai, curry, stirfry or something equally simple. Linda tends to get veges that last like potatoes, sweet potatoes, carrots, sweetcorn, cabbage, most of this goes in the fridge, we also buy some frozen vegetables. Linda makes our bread in camp. We get as much fresh milk at the start of the trip as possible but top up for the rest of the stay with long life milk. We do buy a few things at the SANParks shops to replenish but to be honest we don't need much else. We drink plenty of water, with or without concentrates and probably more wine than we should!!! We both like plenty of ice and we make our own in the deep freeze, we are not overly cautious in the use of the fridge and probably open it a little more often that we should but we have never had any hassles with a drop in battery power, in fact we have never not reached up to 100% in a day. I hope this answers all your queries, if there is anything I have missed please fire away with questions. Cheers John
    Hi John, much appreciated for the feedback.

We have a very similar setup wrt dual 90L NL fridges, battery systems etc.

I am not willing to sacrifice on luxuries when on tour. I am a bit lazy and donít have say just 4 beers in the fridge to last one day, however am working on my habits to replenish drinks as used.

I am a bit guilty in carrying too much food, especially tinned foods which weigh quite a bit.

We do meal planning, but somehow always take too much, especially snacks.

All the best.
    Dirk Theron
    Land Cruiser FJ
    Hilux 2.8 GD-6 Auto 4x4
    BL865 Ratel4
    Lifeís a journey, enjoy the ride

16. The Following User Says Thank You to DCTheron For This Useful Post:

Thanks for all the trip reports up to now. A treat reading them while locked up. Hopefully the lock down will end soon for all of us.

18. The Following User Says Thank You to Sebastiaan For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by DCTheron View Post
    I am not willing to sacrifice on luxuries when on tour. I am a bit lazy and donít have say just 4 beers in the fridge to last one day, however am working on my habits to replenish drinks as used.

I am a bit guilty in carrying too much food, especially tinned foods which weigh quite a bit.

We do meal planning, but somehow always take too much, especially snacks.

All the best.
    Yes Dirk, I think we are all guilty of "just in case". Because we are living permanently in Kamba we have plenty of extras always with us, fans and heaters, warm clothes and cool clothes, winter and summer linen. This is why we went for the Baobab rather than one of the Gogga range, it must be even more difficult for you having the Ratel.

We too carry too many snacks, our expanding waistlines bear testimony to that fact. Some think we have too much refrigeration but the thought of not having ice and cold drinks doesn't bear thinking about
    Baobab BL1715 "Kamba"

Quote Originally Posted by Sebastiaan View Post
    Thanks for all the trip reports up to now. A treat reading them while locked up. Hopefully the lock down will end soon for all of us.
    That is a pleasure Sebastian, thanks for taking the time to comment. Yes, can't wait to get back into Kamba, still so much to see in Southern Africa
    Baobab BL1715 "Kamba"

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2