Pajero given the final nail in the coffin......what a shame - Page 3

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Default Re: Pajero given the final nail in the coffin......what a shame

Quote Originally Posted by byaru1 View Post
    You are clearly only thinking in ZA market.

I'm sure nissan have hit all their global sales target and even exceeded with the Y62. It's the middle East and Russia that they are concerned with.

Yes I was only thinking Africa.

I haven't seen any in Europe last year either, while the old Patrol was a farmer's staple in Europe.

But yes, I have no idea of sales in Asia or Russia, maybe that's where they are selling well?

Quote Originally Posted by BruceB View Post
    Id be interested to know how many of the new facelifts Y62s have been sold. There are three in the 3x3 km area I stay in.

Are you in Australia?

Maybe in Oz they're doing well...

Defender R 1m
    Pajero SWB R 699 900...thats why

Quote Originally Posted by tashtego9 View Post
    Are you in Australia?

Maybe in Oz they're doing well...
    Yes, just had a look I see they sold 219 last month here

Quote Originally Posted by Tom13 View Post
    He said "collectors item". Sad to say but I reckon the new Defender 90, and 110 for that matter, is going the D3 and D4 route - nice to have under a plan but it ain't gonna be no collectors item.
    It looks to me like you can spec a bare bones new defender 90 sans the complicated gizmos.

For example, 90 is available without air suspension, and it's ground clearance is a bit better than Paj shorty. You can skip those fancy digital speedo thingy and have analog system. Plus much other stuff so as to keep it bare bones simple.

May be that way you don't need a plan after all long run if simple spec.

That might change things, yes.
    It looks to me like you can spec a bare bones new defender 90 sans the complicated gizmos.

For example, 90 is available without air suspension, and it's ground clearance is a bit better than Paj shorty. You can skip those fancy digital speedo thingy and have analog system. Plus much other stuff so as to keep it bare bones simple.

Mitsubishi Pajero 3.2 D-ID GLX LWB

And there you have it folks, we lament the passing of an icon and others punt a new unproven and apparently from what I read here on the forum, not the replacement for another icon in it's stable.

Guess it will be only a matter of time for the new Defender wearing a Dakar sticker. Launched in special editions of course.

As my wife would say, nee rerig.
    "Stare, pry, listen, eavesdrop. Die knowing something, you are not here long"
    Walker Evans, Photographer

Quote Originally Posted by Riaan van Wyk View Post
    And there you have it folks, we lament the passing of an icon and others punt a new unproven and apparently from what I read here on the forum, not the replacement for another icon in it's stable.

Guess it will be only a matter of time for the new Defender wearing a Dakar sticker. Launched in special editions of course.

Yes life and the world must go on.
    Paj shortly is dead, and defender 90 is (re)born. It can be specified super simple for those that need it that way. Who needs the Paj shorty?

Quote Originally Posted by Riaan van Wyk View Post

Its like the landy owners have gotten it so much from the toy owners they decided to start doing the same...
    Jacques Jooste

2011 Triton 3.2 Auto 4x4

10. The Following User Says Thank You to jooste777 For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Tom13 View Post
    People buy the Pajero and Defender for totally different reasons.

Most Pajero's are auto and very easy to live with on a daily basis. You get a much better 50/50 (road/off-road) vehicle with a Pajero. If you really want to you can actually do 180 on an open road, the Defender tops out at 140 on a down hill with the wind at its back.

The Defender is more like a 20/80 vehicle, I've driven Defenders before and I can't see myself driving one in the city every day. Off the beaten track is where the Defender shines.

Horses for courses.
    More, Rip van Winkel
    Using Tapatalk

What is the opinion on purchasing a new/demo one now?

Does them pulling out of the market increase or decrease the value? I have a 2008 swb and have been toying with selling for either a new Jimny or a lightly used updated model Pajero.

I really love the car, and I think that I would miss the luxury that it has over the Jimny. In reality, my youthfull 4x4 nonsense is over and I would like a car for adventures with the mrs. No children planned so space etc is not really a worry.

So. Do we buy now before they become extent?

Quote Originally Posted by markrudling View Post

Does them pulling out of the market increase or decrease the value? I have a 2008 swb and have been toying with selling for either a new Jimny or a lightly used updated model Pajero.

I really love the car, and I think that I would miss the luxury that it has over the Jimny. In reality, my youthfull 4x4 nonsense is over and I would like a car for adventures with the mrs. No children planned so space etc is not really a worry.

I would not be too concerned about that. Pajero's in general are sought after by the people who have driven them, but not so much outside of that. The average Paj buyer makes the purchase based on the fact that its a sensible choice and not based on image. As a result, while demand among enthusiasts will increase in the later days, I don't foresee a sudden rush from the general public.

I would upgrade to a newer Paj though. Since the 2010 update, power and fuel consumption improved a lot. Due to it's relatively long run, engineers really did hone the 3.2 into an incredibly reliable motor.

I absolutely love the Jimny, but personally it is too small for extended trips even with two people. I also don't think it has the cruising capability of the Paj which is what it sounds like you are after.

Cheers

14. The Following User Says Thank You to ChasingSunsets For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by ChasingSunsets View Post
    I would upgrade to a newer Paj though. Since the 2010 update, power and fuel consumption improved a lot. Due to it's relatively long run, engineers really did hone the 3.2 into an incredibly reliable motor.
    Not just the motor was perfected over time, but the whole package. The models 2010+ are incredibly well put together. Both the 3.2 and the 3.8 are fantastic motors.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to byaru1 For This Useful Post:

Not just the motor was perfected over time, but the whole package. The models 2010+ are incredibly well put together. Both the 3.2 and the 3.8 are fantastic motors.
    Absolutely, I don't do it justice by just highlighting the engine, it's the whole package (strong drive-train, super-select is top notch, autobox is great, road holding).

As a diesel fan, I always forget about the 3.8 v6. It does not come up much in forums either which may be a sign of its reliable nature. Only weak point: failure of the butterfly valve at high mileage on the intake can cause damage, but a good indy will check that at service.

18. The Following User Says Thank You to ChasingSunsets For This Useful Post:

Firstly you cannot compare the 140KW and 441N.m. of the Paj to the 1.5 non-turbo Jimny when it comes to long distance driving.

Also, the SWB Paj is very spacious without the rear seats due to its width and height so even that is an option.

Lastly, the manufacturers are compelled to continue manufacturing spares for 10 years after the last vehicle is manufactured and there are plenty local spares shops around Gauteng so youre good for many years to come, in my opinion.
    2014 Pajero 3.2DiD SWB

If I were in your position, I would start looking for a well-kept, low mileage LWB diesel. No need to rush this, they are coming up from time to time, so take your time. Just so much more space available than the shorty and still a pleasure to drive in traffic. Being a current owner, you know what you have in the Pajero already. Please do not downgrade to something smaller - when traveling, freedom to load whatever you want in accessible positions, combined with rock-solid reliability, general great all-round vision and one of the best 4x4 drive-trains in the business are invaluable things.
    2011 Pajero 3.8 GLS LWB
    1996 Conquest 160i RS

I would agree on the LWB. I originally had a 2.8 SWB and am now on my second LWB. The SWB is a fun vehicle, that we had some great trips in, but the problem came on longer trips when water and extra fuel had to be carried.
    Last edited by mcowell; 2020/08/09 at 03:28 PM.
    Malcolm
    2015 Pajero 3.2 LWB
    Bushwakka Sundowner No. 31

Thanks guys - The next 6-9 months will be a searching and saving spree to try bring down the installments and start cleaning up my baby to be sold. She has really been good to me and love her to death, but I think this is my one and only chance to have a new or demo car so will use this as a good excuse.

I will take a drive again in the LWB. I do understand how nice the extra space is and having the options is really great. I kite surf so the space for gear is wonderful but I also love the look and playful feel you get in a SWB. I will drive both new and see what I think. 90% of the time its for around town and then long trips.

I was not aware of all the other little tweaks from my model to current, so it seems like there is certainly value in doing the upgrade. With lockdown, work from home, mrs's car and a motobike for daily commutes when that happens again - this will likely be a 20 year purchase, and im very excited about that prospect

I was not aware of all the other little tweaks from my model to current, so it seems like there is certainly value in doing the upgrade. With lockdown, work from home, mrs's car and a motobike for daily commutes when that happens again - this will likely be a 20 year purchase, and im very excited about that prospect
    Quite a difference the upgraded 140KW 3.2 is in performance Mark. Test drove one of these last year with the thought of perhaps upgrading, I was surprised how responsive it was in Durban traffic.
    "Stare, pry, listen, eavesdrop. Die knowing something, you are not here long"
    Walker Evans, Photographer

This has fazed me so little, I am spending money on mine and installing a ARB Replacement Bumper this week.

25. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bostokkelos For This Useful Post:

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast