Puch 230GE from Swiss Army - your experience/opinion

Default Puch 230GE from Swiss Army - your experience/opinion

Hi everyone
    After receiving a lot of advice from this forum and its members I firstly want to say thank you since it’s always a please to browse this website.
    Now it’s time for my first own post and I would like to ask you about your experience with a Puch 230GE. I know it’s definitely not the most common car in (Southern) Africa but I would like to see what experienced overlanders think about this fellow from the Swiss army.
    I’ve been overlanding in Africa (Southern and Eastern) in the last years with rental 4x4’s such as Landcruiser, Prado and Hilux. I’m a fan of the Toyotas but the models I can get here are different to those you guys have. Unless you get an imported Lancruiser the models are europeanized and don’t fit my needs.
    To me the 230GE would be a weekend/fun car which I would take to some designated 4x4areas (which are very rare here where I live (Germany)). However, in order to do some 4x4ing those areas are better than nothing and it would give me the chance to make myself familiar with the Puch.
    As a second step I would consider to extend the cabin step by step to make it overland capable and give decent space for two persons. This could then end up in overland trips through Europe (Sweden, Norway, Finland).
    As a last step it might be possible to bring/drive this car to Africa – even though that might take a while till it happens.
    The Puch 230GE comes with a 116hp petrol engine, 4x4, high and low gear and a rear diff lock. A winch would also be part of the pack and the general fittings are old but proven to be very reliable. Since the Puch as well as the G wagon have been built for more than 30 years now the spare part situation is very convenient(here – I don’t know about Africa!!!).
    At the moment there are some models available between 30 and 22 years old, 40t to 130t k on the clock and in very good technical condition (Swiss army service book comes with the vehicle).
    I’ve spoken to many persons in Germany and Switzerland about this vehicle and almost all of them find it a very decent 4x4, absolutely reliable and outstanding since it’s (almost) unable to break. Now I would love to hear your opinion/experience/feedback regarding the Puch 230GE and I’m absolutely excited to hear/read what reputation this vehicle has. Thanks!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Puch230GE.jpg 
Views:	116 
Size:	519.9 KB 
ID:	581923   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	inside.jpg 
Views:	92 
Size:	268.8 KB 
ID:	581924   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Puch230GE_2.jpg 
Views:	77 
Size:	463.1 KB 
ID:	581925  

Default Re: Puch 230GE from Swiss Army - your experience/opinion

I could be wrong but I don't think these were ever sold in Southern Africa under the Puch badge.

I have no idea how much difference there is between this and the Mercedes G, but that has a fanatical following here, although the vehicles themselves are relatively rare.
    1996 Patrol 4.2SGL with lots of stuff to make it heavier and thus increase traction?

The Puch G series and the Merc GW are the same thing.

"Puch G (1979-2000)
    The agreement between Daimler-Benz AG and Steyr-Daimler-Puch stipulated that G-Wagen sold in Austria, Switzerland, Yugoslavia (and its successor states: Bosnia-Herzegovina, Croatia, Macedonia, Serbia, and Slovenia), Mongolia, and Eastern European COMECON countries was called Puch G and elsewhere as Mercedes-Benz G-Wagen/G-Class. The reason for different branding was due to Puch's reputation for its all-terrain vehicles, Haflinger and Pinzgauer. Since the agreement expired in 2000, the consumers could order the retrofit kit from Magna's Puch Competence Centre to replace the Mercedes-Benz brands with Puch emblems."
    Jakes Louw
    2012 Jeep Sahara Unlimited 3.6 V6
    Percivamus

4. The Following User Says Thank You to jelo For This Useful Post:

Interesting. I thought all G's had lockers front and rear, yet the OP states rear locker only?
    1996 Patrol 4.2SGL with lots of stuff to make it heavier and thus increase traction?

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Connan View Post
    Interesting. I thought all G's had lockers front and rear, yet the OP states rear locker only?
    It seems front and rear lockers were only standard after 1985. The 230GE was introduced in 1982.
    Jakes Louw
    2012 Jeep Sahara Unlimited 3.6 V6
    Percivamus

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Connan View Post
    I do believe the Puch and G originate from the same factory in Graz but are not equipped similarly.

It would be best if the OP connect with the Mercedes Geländewagen Club of Southern Africa for RSA detailed information. Easy to find on the wb.

Personally I have not heard of any Puch variants in SA...
    Last edited by JohanMaree; 2020/07/27 at 03:06 PM.
    Johan Maree
    Isuzu 300 d-tec
    MB Gwagen G350 Bluetec
    Nissan NP300 2.4 4x4
    BMW R1200GS & GSA

Hi there, I am the proud owner of a 1984, LHD 230GE Puch G.

Your best bet would be to talk to the guys on MB4x4.co.za, some very knowledgeable folks there and G enthusiasts.

I've not done any extended overland trips in my G, mostly shorter weekend trips, but the itch to take it far is ever growing.

As far as I know all G's have both front & rear lockers... mine has both. The vehicle drives comfortably, it is VERY capable off road. I have driven many 460 G models, and the 230 is an outstanding car, it's not fast, but will get you where you need to be! Fuel consumption wise I get about 6km to the liter depending on where I'm driving.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1411.JPG 
Views:	42 
Size:	293.1 KB 
ID:	581930
    NJ Vermaak

Toyota Hilux 3.0 D4D | '85 PUCH Geländewagen | Bush Lapa Miskruier 404

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to njvermaak For This Useful Post:

Hey guys, many thanks for your Feedback. Swiss Army ordered them only with rear diff lock. Can't say exactly why but most probably a cost issue..
    Quote Originally Posted by jelo View Post
    It seems front and rear lockers were only standard after 1985. The 230GE was introduced in 1982.

Many thanks. Will try and get in touch with them
    Quote Originally Posted by JohanMaree View Post
    I do believe the Puch and G originate from the same factory in Graz but are not equipped similarly.

It would be best if the OP connect with the Mercedes Geländewagen Club of Southern Africa for RSA detailed information. Easy to find on the wb.

Personally I have not heard of any Puch variants in SA...