Underbody coatings for Landy by the sea...





Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 24
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Feb 2020
    Location
    Melkbosstrand
    Posts
    13
    Thanked: 2

    Question Underbody coatings for Landy by the sea...

    Hello forum

    Newbie here. Bought my first Landy in February, but thanks to lock down haven't gone anywhere exciting yet.

    Live two blocks from the sea and a bit alarmed at rust development so am likely to to do a full respray in the next month or so and then do an under-body coating.

    I am quite keen to do an annual coating with a lanolin based product such as Fluid-Film or the local equivalent Lano-Lube rather than going the rubberised route.

    Was wondering what your thoughts on this route were, and if any of you had used either of the products.

    So far tests with an aerosol Fluid-Film I bought a few years back have yielded positive results on various test areas on the vehicle such as wheel nuts etc.

    Much appreciated,
    Craig
    Last edited by CraigWatt; 2020/07/27 at 10:58 AM.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Location
    Sir Lowry's
    Age
    48
    Posts
    184
    Thanked: 137

    Default Re: Underbody coatings for Landy by the sea...

    Hi Craig.

    Interesting to see someone else using Fluid-Film!
    I've used it for ages, with huge success on everything from bikes to chainsaws.
    Even the missus gets a squirt when she starts squeaking more than usual

    My Landy leaks enough oil for it to be self coating

    Regards
    Justin

  3. The Following User Says Thank You to MudMuppet For This Useful Post:


  4. #3
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Brackenfell
    Age
    57
    Posts
    165
    Thanked: 20

    Default Re: Underbody coatings for Landy by the sea...

    Quote Originally Posted by MudMuppet View Post
    Hi Craig.

    Interesting to see someone else using Fluid-Film!
    I've used it for ages, with huge success on everything from bikes to chainsaws.
    Even the missus gets a squirt when she starts squeaking more than usual

    My Landy leaks enough oil for it to be self coating

    Regards
    Justin

  5. #4
    Join Date
    Apr 2018
    Location
    RSA
    Posts
    880
    Thanked: 1098

    Default Re: Underbody coatings for Landy by the sea...

    Quote Originally Posted by CraigWatt View Post
    Hello forum

    Newbie here. Bought my first Landy in February, but thanks to lock down haven't gone anywhere exciting yet.

    Live two blocks from the sea and a bit alarmed at rust development so am likely to to do a full respray in the next month or so and then do an under-body coating.

    I am quite keen to do an annual coating with a lanolin based product such as Fluid-Film or the local equivalent Lano-Lube rather than going the rubberised route.

    Was wondering what your thoughts on this route were, and if any of you had used either of the products.

    So far tests with an aerosol Fluid-Film I bought a few years back have yielded positive results on various test areas on the vehicle such as wheel nuts etc.

    Much appreciated,
    Craig
    You don't mention the type of Landy nor its age.

  6. #5
    Join Date
    Feb 2020
    Location
    Melkbosstrand
    Posts
    13
    Thanked: 2

    Default Re: Underbody coatings for Landy by the sea...

    Quote Originally Posted by Olyfboer View Post
    You don't mention the type of Landy nor its age.
    Hi Olyfboer it is a 1995 Defender 110 300tdi.

    [QUOTE=MudMuppet;Even the missus gets a squirt when she starts squeaking more than usual

    My Landy leaks enough oil for it to be self coating [/QUOTE]



    Thanks folks for the replies. Interestingly the Fluid-Film does a really good job on the black plastic fenders also. They look great with a treatment once a month...

  7. #6
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Brackenfell
    Age
    57
    Posts
    165
    Thanked: 20

    Default Re: Underbody coatings for Landy by the sea...

    I see nogal expensive

  8. #7
    Join Date
    Feb 2020
    Location
    Melkbosstrand
    Posts
    13
    Thanked: 2

    Default Re: Underbody coatings for Landy by the sea...

    Quote Originally Posted by DieselDonkie View Post
    I see nogal expensive
    It is quite, part of the reason for posting here was to see if anyone had a cheaper local alternative, but the spray can I bought some years back for other purposes has lasted well.

    From what I understand you need about a 1.5l to do an under-body treatment according to this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MhGBKD8ccVE

    It should last around a year. So a gallon should do two and a half annual treatments.

    Watch the video to get an idea of my motivation (if you can get past Pierre-White's ego ).

  9. #8
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Pretoria
    Age
    40
    Posts
    159
    Thanked: 106

    Default Re: Underbody coatings for Landy by the sea...

    I grew up in R'Bay

    Back in the day my dad owned a couple of Landy's and Willy's Jeeps

    All, but all chassis received Iscor Black back then

  10. #9
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Swakop
    Age
    37
    Posts
    5,248
    Thanked: 887

    Default Re: Underbody coatings for Landy by the sea...

    also have a look at waxoyl and tectile. Both good products and we use them quite a lot here.

    from my experience stay away from rubberising. It picks up chips on gravel roads, then the moisture creeps in under it and your car starts rusting away without you even knowing.
    Walter aka "Meerkat"
    slightly modded 02' 105 series 1FZ-FE
    https://www.facebook.com/kepanamibia/


    My heart will always beat to an African drum...

  11. #10
    Join Date
    Feb 2020
    Location
    Melkbosstrand
    Posts
    13
    Thanked: 2

    Default Re: Underbody coatings for Landy by the sea...

    So, the very kind lady at LanoLube (local ZA company) has organised a free sample for me to test.

    I am not affiliated in any way, and the sample will not cover the entire underbody in any way shape or form either. It will be tested vigorously (not in the way that that thought just popped into your head ).

    They have two products.

    One is LanoLube which I expect will be similar to Fluid-Film with regards to consistency and another called LanoSeal which dries to a similar consistency to Tectyl given feedback so far.

    I am in two minds as which to use as I expect a more fluid consistency will be better at "self healing".

    Both will keep developing rust visible I imagine. So still a bit up in the air on this at the moment.

    What has been interesting given my post here is that in ZA lanolin based products are a bit unheard of or not a frequently employed method for rust prevention, but in Oz and North America it seems to be the bee's knees.
    1995 Defender 110 300tdi (nick-named Alfie)
    1978 Mercedes Benz 450SL
    2000 Volvo V40 T4 (on the market - What offers?)


  12. #11
    Join Date
    Feb 2020
    Location
    Melkbosstrand
    Posts
    13
    Thanked: 2

    Default Re: Underbody coatings for Landy by the sea...

    PS, I managed to work out how to put a signature in
    1995 Defender 110 300tdi (nick-named Alfie)
    1978 Mercedes Benz 450SL
    2000 Volvo V40 T4 (on the market - What offers?)


  13. #12
    Join Date
    Apr 2018
    Location
    RSA
    Posts
    880
    Thanked: 1098

    Default Re: Underbody coatings for Landy by the sea...

    When I was a young man and an appy, I used to paint my old engine oil under the car after changing the oil. Never had a rusted undercart, Probably considered too eco-unfriendly today despite oil being organic and rapidly biodegradable and carbon being the basis of all life forms.

  14. #13
    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Location
    Cape Town
    Age
    44
    Posts
    64
    Thanked: 16

    Default Re: Underbody coatings for Landy by the sea...

    Craig,

    I'm too lazy to do that kind of stuff myself...I previously used a guy that operates out of the yard of Maniac 4x4 in Montague Gardens. Anthony Zeeman. His invoice read "Anthony The Auto Cosmetician".... I can send his number on a PM if you're interested.

    He applied some coating that I'm very happy with - his invoice shows it as Tectyl 506, so I can only but presume that's what he used. It also seemed to have some sort of oily liquid in it, that took a week or two to cure (maybe longer?), and seems to be performing outstanding on my van.

    Etienne

  15. #14
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Pretoria
    Age
    63
    Posts
    1,844
    Thanked: 717

    Default Re: Underbody coatings for Landy by the sea...

    Way back in mid-seveties when I did a year long stint at Rooikop Air Force Station at Walvis the practise was a liberal Tectyl coating of the vehicle underside including all cavities that could be reached. This was done when the vehicle was new (or newly arrived, as we often received hand-me-downs from up-country). There was then a regular (1 - 6 months depending on vehicle duty) park-over-the-pit with a proper spray wash down and re-application of Tectyl. Those salt roads were not kind to steel. Remember an oldround nose water Bedford that snapped its corrosion weakend chassis behind the cab being driven towards Windhoek over the terrible corugations over Gamsberg pass.
    Mike Nieuwoudt
    '89 LR 110 V8

  16. #15
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Pretoria
    Age
    63
    Posts
    1,844
    Thanked: 717

    Default Re: Underbody coatings for Landy by the sea...

    Quote Originally Posted by Olyfboer View Post
    ....... despite oil being organic and rapidly biodegradable.......
    Maybe olive oil Olyfboer, but not the oils you'll find in you car engine or gearbox :-)
    Mike Nieuwoudt
    '89 LR 110 V8

  17. #16
    Join Date
    Feb 2020
    Location
    Melkbosstrand
    Posts
    13
    Thanked: 2

    Default Re: Underbody coatings for Landy by the sea...

    Thanks for your all your responses. It's really appreciated and sorry I haven't come back until today.

    I got my free spray can from our local supplier and have setup a test bed to give it a bash and will probably spray as much of the underbody as I can with what remains.

    Anyway, now that SanParks has opened again I booked Tankwa for 10 days next month. I am really looking forward to to it.
    1995 Defender 110 300tdi (nick-named Alfie)
    1978 Mercedes Benz 450SL
    2000 Volvo V40 T4 (on the market - What offers?)


  18. #17
    Join Date
    Feb 2020
    Location
    Melkbosstrand
    Posts
    13
    Thanked: 2

    Default Re: Underbody coatings for Landy by the sea...

    Quote Originally Posted by erduplessis View Post
    Craig,

    I'm too lazy to do that kind of stuff myself...I previously used a guy that operates out of the yard of Maniac 4x4 in Montague Gardens. Anthony Zeeman. His invoice read "Anthony The Auto Cosmetician".... I can send his number on a PM if you're interested.

    He applied some coating that I'm very happy with - his invoice shows it as Tectyl 506, so I can only but presume that's what he used. It also seemed to have some sort of oily liquid in it, that took a week or two to cure (maybe longer?), and seems to be performing outstanding on my van.

    Etienne
    Thanks Etienne, will PM you should I decide to go the Tectyl route
    1995 Defender 110 300tdi (nick-named Alfie)
    1978 Mercedes Benz 450SL
    2000 Volvo V40 T4 (on the market - What offers?)


  19. #18
    Join Date
    Mar 2020
    Location
    Sedgefield South Africa
    Age
    50
    Posts
    44
    Thanked: 13

    Default Re: Underbody coatings for Landy by the sea...

    A much cheaper and easier alternative is boiled linseed oil, put it in a paraffin gun and apply library, then leave to dry for a few days or go for a drive on a dusty road. We even use it to stop formed rust on body panels too. Then just touch up as needed.

  20. The Following User Says Thank You to Andre Muller For This Useful Post:


  21. #19
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Location
    Cape Town
    Age
    54
    Posts
    3,121
    Thanked: 1980

    Default Re: Underbody coatings for Landy by the sea...

    Quote Originally Posted by Olyfboer View Post
    When I was a young man and an appy, I used to paint my old engine oil under the car after changing the oil. Never had a rusted undercart, Probably considered too eco-unfriendly today despite oil being organic and rapidly biodegradable and carbon being the basis of all life forms.
    Lots of the farmers when I was a kid used to mix old oil with paraffin or petrol and use a sprayer to apply in the hoekies and corners and a labourer for the flat bits.
    Cheers,
    John Kilfoil

    Rover P6
    Land Rover Discovery II Td5 Manual
    Range Rover P38 HSE
    Moto Guzzi LeMans
    Aprilia Tuono V2

  22. #20
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Fish Hoek
    Age
    46
    Posts
    326
    Thanked: 11

    Default Re: Underbody coatings for Landy by the sea...

    Quote Originally Posted by Andre Muller View Post
    A much cheaper and easier alternative is boiled linseed oil, put it in a paraffin gun and apply library, then leave to dry for a few days or go for a drive on a dusty road. We even use it to stop formed rust on body panels too. Then just touch up as needed.
    I started experimenting with a 50/50 mix of boiled linseed oil and mineral turpentine after reading another post in another thread on this forum by Learjet about using it on under body.I also did some research on the net and found that some guys in the States use it for rust protection from salt on roads in winter, it is also used on old hot rods that have surface rust and faded paint on bodies to keep the patina and also found a Youtube video of a guy using it on vehicle plastic trim.So far it works really well on hard plastic trim and the faded paint on my Nudgem bumper, it seems to last for weeks way better than Meguiars trim detailer I was using, but not so great on rubber seems to just soak in, although after a few applications it seems to be getting better.I found that the thinner you apply it the faster it dries, so I apply it to the trim and wipe off excess.I did my under body with a spray bottle but next time will rather try paraffin gun or garden spray because it was a bit too thick of a coating and hence took a week or so to dry, and vehicle was driven before it was properly dry, in the rain and some sand splashed up in wheel arches and has dried in the coating.Just a WARNING it has a dark side, DO NOT THROW USED OIL SOAKED RAGS IN A DIRT BIN WITH OTHER COMBUSTIBLE MATERIAL, this stuff can spontaneously combust after a few hours under the right conditions, I wash the rags I want to reuse and the ones I discard go in my fireplace.
    2002 Hilux 2700i(facelift) 4x4 DC
    1995 Hilux 2.4 SRX(4x2)
    1985 Suzuki DR600S
    1984 Honda ATC200ES BIG RED

  23. The Following User Says Thank You to GTO For This Useful Post:


Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •