Default Botswana Is The Best In Wildlife Conservation

According to WorldAtlas Botswana tops the list of countries that are doing the most to protect wildlife.
    It is really not difficult for us to get reassurance of why we live here, but once again we get it.
    For the top- 10 list see: Which Countries Are The Best in Wildlife Conservation?
    Read my experiences of living and touring in Botswana
    https://ourbots.wordpress.com/

2. The Following User Says Thank You to PeteMorrie For This Useful Post:

Default Re: Botswana Is The Best In Wildlife Conservation

Honestly Pete, that's a puff piece if I've ever read one. All they seem to concentrate on his how much land is turned over to wildlife in their national parks as a percentage of total country size. Not how well run they are, not how they have/haven't got poaching under control, not how wildlife populations outside of these reserves are crashing, not how accessible these parks are to tourists etc etc. Glossy magazine stuff, sorry.

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to RobH For This Useful Post:

Botswana has a small population. As the population grows so will land hunger and less land will be set aside for wild life conservation.

Quote Originally Posted by RobH View Post
    Honestly Pete, that's a puff piece if I've ever read one. All they seem to concentrate on his how much land is turned over to wildlife in their national parks as a percentage of total country size. Not how well run they are, not how they have/haven't got poaching under control, not how wildlife populations outside of these reserves are crashing, not how accessible these parks are to tourists etc etc. Glossy magazine stuff, sorry.

I totally agree. Still, it gives a rough idea of the proportions. And if I have to compare with europe, well then we're far far away in terms of conservation, so Africa remains a leading continent when it comes to protect the wildlife although poaching is an issue with economical interest around it.
    I live in a country where a brown bear gets shot by the wildlife authorities just because it dared to approach a small village and searched a waste container during the night.
    Having said that, there are questionable decisions from DWNP (recent ban lifting, weapons withdrawal from anti-poaching units ect.), but to me Botswana remains a leading country in conservation and low impact tourism policy by the government, make me conclude that conservation still is an issue which is taken seriously.

Don think I agree . But yes at least they have some beautiful park or conservation areas, as Zim or Zambia.

If 400 elephant just die then there is something wrong, what ever the reason. Many say its over population, even so then the numbers are not managed. Some woodlands are ruined by elephants.

I cant see that their parks are better then those in Zim, or Zambia, or Namibia. I see the same poor managed practices in all of them.
    Johan Kriel

8. The Following User Says Thank You to JLK For This Useful Post:

It's not very clear, what their criteria really was in that ranking. If it really was the percentage of land that is set aside as some kind of protected area, then their numbers are really questionable. A simple google search reveals completely different numbers and ranks. Her's just a few of them:

https://www.indexmundi.com/facts/ind...LD.ZS/rankings
    https://www.worldatlas.com/articles/...rve-lands.html
    https://www.telegraph.co.uk/travel/n...otected-areas/
    24 hours in a day.... 24 beer in a case.... Coincidence?
    -------------------------------------------------------------
    My blog: Our African Ramblings (https://safaribug.wordpress.com/)

10. The Following User Says Thank You to ortelius For This Useful Post:

"The Best" means different things to different people, I guess.

I think Malawi deserves a mention - they've done a great job of looking after their wildlife. Majete was more or less devoid of elephant a few years ago and is now sending elephant to other parks in Malawi. A big part of that seems to be getting buy-in from local communities to see how national parks provide employment so that communities help in alerting to poaching activity. It remains to be seen how things are affected by the massive drop in visitors now.

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to alannymarce For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by alannymarce View Post
    "The Best" means different things to different people, I guess.

I think Malawi deserves a mention - they've done a great job of looking after their wildlife. Majete was more or less devoid of elephant a few years ago and is now sending elephant to other parks in Malawi. A big part of that seems to be getting buy-in from local communities to see how national parks provide employment so that communities help in alerting to poaching activity. It remains to be seen how things are affected by the massive drop in visitors now.
    Thanks to African Parks

14. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Fishing1 For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Fishing1 View Post
    Thanks to African Parks
    Yes - I should have given them the credit. Helps to have government support, of course. African Parks are doing a great job; in our experience Liuwa Plains and Akagera, as well as the Malawi parks, are doing well.

Quote Originally Posted by alannymarce View Post
    Yes - I should have given them the credit. Helps to have government support, of course. African Parks are doing a great job; in our experience Liuwa Plains and Akagera, as well as the Malawi parks, are doing well.
    The model where AP is given basically full control of the parks and also train staff from the Wildlife Department seems to be working really well, I think it's the way forward for poor countries (state/private partnership).

Also all forms of hunting are illegal in the country.

Tanzania 3rd 🤣😂🤣
    Shows just how much the writer new about his subject. Just because a 3rd of the country is protected doesn't actually mean it's protected.
    Communities get very little benefit from conservation here and I've lost count of the times I've caught anti poachers poaching!
    The Jerry Springer show had more integrity than this piece.
    As for the countries doing it for the good of mankind.... It's done for tourist $$$$$ period.
    Neil Rocher
    1997 2.8i Defender 110 (Fats)
    1996 300 TDI Defender 110 (Aqualung)
    1982 Mog 416
    1971 series 2a 109"
    1968 FJ40 (Piglet)
    1967 series 2a (dugudugu) 88"
    1958 series 2 (Betty) 88"
    1955 series 1 109" (rebuilding)

18. The Following User Says Thank You to 2.8i rocks For This Useful Post: