Recovery boards from China - Page 3





Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
Results 41 to 57 of 57
  1. #41
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    Cape Town
    Age
    29
    Posts
    148
    Thanked: 38

    Default Re: Recovery boards from China

    Quote Originally Posted by Flip Marais View Post
    Mr Photojournalist,

    Can you get the X-Bull brand recovery boards in SA? From the youtube videos of testing done here in Aus, they seem to be the better of the chinese made ones.

    I considered buying some but the driving I do would rarely (if ever) require the use of them.

    Now, the paddles idea I quite like for getting yourself out of the very deep trouble!
    Howzit, I don't seem to see it here, other than by the insanely expensive ImportItAll site...

  2. #42
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    JHB
    Age
    38
    Posts
    100
    Thanked: 0

    Default Re: Recovery boards from China

    Regards
    Robert aka Nobit.....

  3. #43
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    Durbs
    Age
    40
    Posts
    13
    Thanked: 0

    Default Re: Recovery boards from China

    Quote Originally Posted by mvcoller View Post
    These mags (in attached pictures) - standard on my vehicle and the standard type on most 4x4s

    The last picture shows where I attach the paddles while on a trip where I think they may be needed. These pictures are just for illustration. The actual ratchet straps are currently in use by my son for transporting furniture on a trailer
    I thought you used the paddles the way they do in this video - the paddle tied horizontally in order to go under the wheel as the wheel turns.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0P-gvnpcRRg

    Name:  tyredplank.JPG
Views: 163
Size:  47.9 KB

    Any comments on why this would be a good / bad idea to get you out of a spot of bother?
    Last edited by grapgat; 2020/07/27 at 10:54 AM.

  4. #44
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Sunninghill
    Age
    30
    Posts
    40
    Thanked: 6

    Default Re: Recovery boards from China

    Quote Originally Posted by mvcoller View Post
    These mags (in attached pictures) - standard on my vehicle and the standard type on most 4x4s

    The last picture shows where I attach the paddles while on a trip where I think they may be needed. These pictures are just for illustration. The actual ratchet straps are currently in use by my son for transporting furniture on a trailer
    MVColler, are these on your car? Wow, it looks amazing (and a bit dangerous). Do you have a video of them in action?

  5. #45
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Pta
    Age
    42
    Posts
    442
    Thanked: 56

    Default Re: Recovery boards from China

    Quote Originally Posted by grapgat View Post
    I thought you used the paddles the way they do in this video - the paddle tied horizontally in order to go under the wheel as the wheel turns.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0P-gvnpcRRg

    Name:  tyredplank.JPG
Views: 163
Size:  47.9 KB

    Any comments on why this would be a good / bad idea to get you out of a spot of bother?

    or this - https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=OTdIhtx5HD4

  6. #46
    Join Date
    Oct 2018
    Location
    Magaliesig
    Age
    61
    Posts
    66
    Thanked: 39

    Default Re: Recovery boards from China

    Quote Originally Posted by jurgen10 View Post
    Search for a fibre grating supplier in your area.

    You can buy a full sheet of grating and cut 4 sets of tracks from it for the same price as the cheapest plastic recovery tracks available and it has multiple uses.

    We used these type of tracks for multiple sand recoveries in mozambique in the convoy of 7 vehicles all of them towing heavily loaded camp trailers or offroad caravans.

    Look at what can be done with the grating in the video here:
    http://www.muputrax.com.au/

    These used to be sold by 4x4 direct at one stage - don't know if they still do.

    Edit:
    Found them :
    https://4x4direct.co.za/recovery-gea...-set-of-2.html

    Hi All

    Firstly a disclaimer - as my handle suggests, I'm a TOTAL newbie, so please do not expect me to dispense advice. Last time I got stuck in sand was on Camps Bay beach, circa 1985, in a rental Nissan Sentra (front wheel drive). At about 02:00AM, so draw your own conclusions.

    However, some comments on this thread, as well as the muputrax mentioned above got me thinking, so I did a bit of research yesterday and today... I found a crowd in Boksburg that sells Fibre Reinforced Plastic grating in a few different sizes, although it looks like the 25x38x38mm might do the job that I require. Firstly, a sheet 1,220mmx2,440mm costs around R2,000. Out of that, I can have 4 sand tracks cut (around 1,200mm x 330mm or so each), and also have enough left over to use as a table top (let's say 1,200mmx800mm).

    I have rails on my canopy, on which I was planning to build my own roofrack for light "quick-use" stuff (camp chairs, firewood etc.). I figured I can either use the "sand tracks" as the base of this roof rack bolted to the rail, thus subscribing to the "let everything have more than one use" rule. Also, removed from the canopy, the tracks could be used as benches for the table; of course I would need to devise a plan for both table and bench legs, maybe aluminium square tubing or something.

    The grating comes in two finishes, smooth and rough, so obviously rough would be the choice for the "sand tracks" requirement. So the "table" and/or "benches" might need some sturdy cloth to make them usable without removing some skin while wearing shorts. The load bearing properties seem to be quite impressive (hundreds of kg depending on span and width of the tracks), so I believe that either one layer or two could be used to build a bridge, depending on the span required.

    I fully concede that they won't have the grip of the professional products, but at my age I hope to avoid getting stuck in the first place (tyre pressure and all). I do NOT plan on doing any really serious off-roading in any case.

    I just thought I'd share my idea, especially around multi-use. From one sheet costing around R2,000 I get 4 sand tracks, quite likely at least two bridges, a base for my roof rack, and a table and a few benches (if required). As well as all the other uses (outside shower base etc.). In fact, the table section could be used to extend the reach of the sand tracks in extreme cases.

    Thoughts, anyone

  7. The Following User Says Thank You to Ama-newbie For This Useful Post:


  8. #47
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Ballito
    Age
    40
    Posts
    453
    Thanked: 52

    Default Re: Recovery boards from China

    Quote Originally Posted by Ama-newbie View Post
    Hi All

    Firstly a disclaimer - as my handle suggests, I'm a TOTAL newbie, so please do not expect me to dispense advice. Last time I got stuck in sand was on Camps Bay beach, circa 1985, in a rental Nissan Sentra (front wheel drive). At about 02:00AM, so draw your own conclusions.

    However, some comments on this thread, as well as the muputrax mentioned above got me thinking, so I did a bit of research yesterday and today... I found a crowd in Boksburg that sells Fibre Reinforced Plastic grating in a few different sizes, although it looks like the 25x38x38mm might do the job that I require. Firstly, a sheet 1,220mmx2,440mm costs around R2,000. Out of that, I can have 4 sand tracks cut (around 1,200mm x 330mm or so each), and also have enough left over to use as a table top (let's say 1,200mmx800mm).

    I have rails on my canopy, on which I was planning to build my own roofrack for light "quick-use" stuff (camp chairs, firewood etc.). I figured I can either use the "sand tracks" as the base of this roof rack bolted to the rail, thus subscribing to the "let everything have more than one use" rule. Also, removed from the canopy, the tracks could be used as benches for the table; of course I would need to devise a plan for both table and bench legs, maybe aluminium square tubing or something.

    The grating comes in two finishes, smooth and rough, so obviously rough would be the choice for the "sand tracks" requirement. So the "table" and/or "benches" might need some sturdy cloth to make them usable without removing some skin while wearing shorts. The load bearing properties seem to be quite impressive (hundreds of kg depending on span and width of the tracks), so I believe that either one layer or two could be used to build a bridge, depending on the span required.

    I fully concede that they won't have the grip of the professional products, but at my age I hope to avoid getting stuck in the first place (tyre pressure and all). I do NOT plan on doing any really serious off-roading in any case.

    I just thought I'd share my idea, especially around multi-use. From one sheet costing around R2,000 I get 4 sand tracks, quite likely at least two bridges, a base for my roof rack, and a table and a few benches (if required). As well as all the other uses (outside shower base etc.). In fact, the table section could be used to extend the reach of the sand tracks in extreme cases.

    Thoughts, anyone
    To my mind, you have the perfect plan. To be honest, I've looked for suppliers (Durban based) because I planned to do exactly the same thing, although I was hoping to buy only the sizes I need for 2 tracks, not an entire sheet.
    Chris
    ZS5CMA
    ******
    '17 Hilux 2.8GD-6 D/C 4x4 A/T

  9. #48
    Join Date
    Oct 2018
    Location
    Magaliesig
    Age
    61
    Posts
    66
    Thanked: 39

    Default Re: Recovery boards from China

    Quote Originally Posted by cainslie View Post
    To my mind, you have the perfect plan. To be honest, I've looked for suppliers (Durban based) because I planned to do exactly the same thing, although I was hoping to buy only the sizes I need for 2 tracks, not an entire sheet.
    Thanks!

    The supplier I found in Boksburg seems to be the manufacturer/distributor, and hence won't sell less than 1 sheet. They will cut it for you (R30 per cut). They also sell 'M' clamps at R20 each which in my case I can use to bolt whatever portions I decide onto the rails of my Bushtech canopy to use as the base, and they also sell 'C' clamps at R35 each to enable one to join sections together.

    Hope you find someone in your neck of the woods...

  10. #49
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    Cape Town
    Age
    29
    Posts
    148
    Thanked: 38

    Default Re: Recovery boards from China

    Quote Originally Posted by jurgen10 View Post
    Search for a fibre grating supplier in your area.

    You can buy a full sheet of grating and cut 4 sets of tracks from it for the same price as the cheapest plastic recovery tracks available and it has multiple uses.

    We used these type of tracks for multiple sand recoveries in mozambique in the convoy of 7 vehicles all of them towing heavily loaded camp trailers or offroad caravans.

    Look at what can be done with the grating in the video here:
    http://www.muputrax.com.au/

    These used to be sold by 4x4 direct at one stage - don't know if they still do.

    Edit:
    Found them :
    https://4x4direct.co.za/recovery-gea...-set-of-2.html
    These are interesting, something to consider as a similarly priced alternative to the sand tracks from Takelot (https://www.takealot.com/mix-box-tra...s/PLID54517572).

  11. #50
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Kempton Park
    Age
    46
    Posts
    3,325
    Thanked: 1031

    Default Re: Recovery boards from China

    Great idea except for one thing: You would have to take everything down from the roof to use the table and benches...
    Making things do multiple jobs is great, but you need to weigh that against how much effort it takes to make them do those multiple jobs. And I for one am very lazy...
    1996 Patrol 4.2SGL with lots of stuff to make it heavier and thus increase traction?

  12. The Following User Says Thank You to Peter Connan For This Useful Post:


  13. #51
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Cape Town
    Age
    50
    Posts
    400
    Thanked: 10

    Default Re: Recovery boards from China

    I bought these - used them the other night to recover my bakkie - and another stuck in very deep slippery mud. Worked like a charm and no visible damage shown afterwards. Without them we would have been stuck for a damn long time. No regrets on my side for going cheap

    Quote Originally Posted by d7e7r7 View Post
    They are the same price now, if not slightly more.

    I am now looking at these from Takealot for R 1,499: https://www.takealot.com/mix-box-tra...s/PLID54517572
    Attachment 581155

  14. The Following User Says Thank You to coala For This Useful Post:


  15. #52
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    Cape Town
    Age
    29
    Posts
    148
    Thanked: 38

    Default Re: Recovery boards from China

    Quote Originally Posted by coala View Post
    I bought these - used them the other night to recover my bakkie - and another stuck in very deep slippery mud. Worked like a charm and no visible damage shown afterwards. Without them we would have been stuck for a damn long time. No regrets on my side for going cheap
    Any pics/video?

  16. #53
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Johannesburg
    Age
    66
    Posts
    2,524
    Thanked: 1069

    Default Re: Recovery boards from China

    Quote Originally Posted by Boesman88 View Post
    I like these!!! Small, and light, quick & easy to fit, easy to store. Can be fitted front or rear.
    Malcolm van Coller - retired 2013 but remained in Johannesburg (maybe will look at moving south, Robertson or Wellington type of town, once the wife retires)
    2011 Nissan Pathfinder 2,5 CDi LE Manual (with front Lokka) - My Platkar...
    2008 Nissan Patrol 3.0 TDi GL with front Lokka (Use it mainly for Safari business)
    2003 Bushwakka Shorti (with 160 H/Moon Stargazer RTT and 100 lt water tanks)
    Ex 1999 Nissan Terrano 2.7 TDi
    Ex 2011 Conqueror Supra II
    Ex 1995 GQ Patrol GLX 3 speed Auto
    Ex 1984 Nissan Safari 2.8 Station wagon with 5 speed conversion,
    Ex 1995 Sani 3.0 V6 Exec
    Ex 1994 Venture 2200 with lock diff (Company vehicle).
    Many 4x4s in National Service (Landies, Jeeps, Willys, Bedfords, Unimogs and Buffels)

  17. #54
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Johannesburg
    Age
    66
    Posts
    2,524
    Thanked: 1069

    Default Re: Recovery boards from China

    Quote Originally Posted by GJHuman View Post
    MVColler, are these on your car? Wow, it looks amazing (and a bit dangerous). Do you have a video of them in action?
    Yes, I have these, that I saw a local use in the Chobe area, only he used tree branches, not planks. I was amazed how effective and simple they were. I do not have a video of how they work.

    However, compared to the rubber strips (Track Grabber) that straps onto the tyre and through the rim (https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=OTdIhtx5HD4), mine seem just too big.
    Last edited by mvcoller; 2020/07/30 at 05:15 PM.
    Malcolm van Coller - retired 2013 but remained in Johannesburg (maybe will look at moving south, Robertson or Wellington type of town, once the wife retires)
    2011 Nissan Pathfinder 2,5 CDi LE Manual (with front Lokka) - My Platkar...
    2008 Nissan Patrol 3.0 TDi GL with front Lokka (Use it mainly for Safari business)
    2003 Bushwakka Shorti (with 160 H/Moon Stargazer RTT and 100 lt water tanks)
    Ex 1999 Nissan Terrano 2.7 TDi
    Ex 2011 Conqueror Supra II
    Ex 1995 GQ Patrol GLX 3 speed Auto
    Ex 1984 Nissan Safari 2.8 Station wagon with 5 speed conversion,
    Ex 1995 Sani 3.0 V6 Exec
    Ex 1994 Venture 2200 with lock diff (Company vehicle).
    Many 4x4s in National Service (Landies, Jeeps, Willys, Bedfords, Unimogs and Buffels)

  18. #55
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Pretoria East
    Age
    43
    Posts
    294
    Thanked: 44

    Default Re: Recovery boards from China

    Quote Originally Posted by Ama-newbie View Post
    Hi All

    Firstly a disclaimer - as my handle suggests, I'm a TOTAL newbie, so please do not expect me to dispense advice. Last time I got stuck in sand was on Camps Bay beach, circa 1985, in a rental Nissan Sentra (front wheel drive). At about 02:00AM, so draw your own conclusions.

    However, some comments on this thread, as well as the muputrax mentioned above got me thinking, so I did a bit of research yesterday and today... I found a crowd in Boksburg that sells Fibre Reinforced Plastic grating in a few different sizes, although it looks like the 25x38x38mm might do the job that I require. Firstly, a sheet 1,220mmx2,440mm costs around R2,000. Out of that, I can have 4 sand tracks cut (around 1,200mm x 330mm or so each), and also have enough left over to use as a table top (let's say 1,200mmx800mm).

    I have rails on my canopy, on which I was planning to build my own roofrack for light "quick-use" stuff (camp chairs, firewood etc.). I figured I can either use the "sand tracks" as the base of this roof rack bolted to the rail, thus subscribing to the "let everything have more than one use" rule. Also, removed from the canopy, the tracks could be used as benches for the table; of course I would need to devise a plan for both table and bench legs, maybe aluminium square tubing or something.

    The grating comes in two finishes, smooth and rough, so obviously rough would be the choice for the "sand tracks" requirement. So the "table" and/or "benches" might need some sturdy cloth to make them usable without removing some skin while wearing shorts. The load bearing properties seem to be quite impressive (hundreds of kg depending on span and width of the tracks), so I believe that either one layer or two could be used to build a bridge, depending on the span required.

    I fully concede that they won't have the grip of the professional products, but at my age I hope to avoid getting stuck in the first place (tyre pressure and all). I do NOT plan on doing any really serious off-roading in any case.

    I just thought I'd share my idea, especially around multi-use. From one sheet costing around R2,000 I get 4 sand tracks, quite likely at least two bridges, a base for my roof rack, and a table and a few benches (if required). As well as all the other uses (outside shower base etc.). In fact, the table section could be used to extend the reach of the sand tracks in extreme cases.

    Thoughts, anyone
    Just keep in mind that the fibre grating is not lightweight. The two sections of track I have (1200 275 x 2 ) weighs in at 14kg together i.e 7kg each.

    The rough surface helps a bit but can also be spunn smooth by an all terrain tyre. The grid itself does not deteriorate just the rough finish.

    Mine reside on the roofrack and can go back ontop even when dirty. We also used them in and around the camp as bases for jockey wheels and leveling out campers... as you also could with the other tracks.
    2009 Toyota Hilux 4.0 V6 Raider D/C AT

  19. The Following User Says Thank You to jurgen10 For This Useful Post:


  20. #56
    Join Date
    Sep 2018
    Location
    Cape Town
    Posts
    275
    Thanked: 107

    Default Re: Recovery boards from China

    Quote Originally Posted by mvcoller View Post
    These mags (in attached pictures) - standard on my vehicle and the standard type on most 4x4s

    The last picture shows where I attach the paddles while on a trip where I think they may be needed. These pictures are just for illustration. The actual ratchet straps are currently in use by my son for transporting furniture on a trailer



    Hope this is not a stupid question but what happens when you get out of the mud onto the hard ground on the other side?
    Last edited by Lxv; 2020/08/02 at 04:43 PM.

  21. #57
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Johannesburg
    Age
    66
    Posts
    2,524
    Thanked: 1069

    Default Re: Recovery boards from China

    Quote Originally Posted by Lxv View Post


    Hope this is not a stupid question but what happens when you get out of the mud onto the hard ground on the other side?
    You stop as soon as your wheels reach hard ground and remove them. You can go a little way on hard ground, the vehicle just gets lifted up by the ends of the wood, nothing serious happens .....
    Malcolm van Coller - retired 2013 but remained in Johannesburg (maybe will look at moving south, Robertson or Wellington type of town, once the wife retires)
    2011 Nissan Pathfinder 2,5 CDi LE Manual (with front Lokka) - My Platkar...
    2008 Nissan Patrol 3.0 TDi GL with front Lokka (Use it mainly for Safari business)
    2003 Bushwakka Shorti (with 160 H/Moon Stargazer RTT and 100 lt water tanks)
    Ex 1999 Nissan Terrano 2.7 TDi
    Ex 2011 Conqueror Supra II
    Ex 1995 GQ Patrol GLX 3 speed Auto
    Ex 1984 Nissan Safari 2.8 Station wagon with 5 speed conversion,
    Ex 1995 Sani 3.0 V6 Exec
    Ex 1994 Venture 2200 with lock diff (Company vehicle).
    Many 4x4s in National Service (Landies, Jeeps, Willys, Bedfords, Unimogs and Buffels)

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •