Material Source for hobbyist machiners

Default Material Source for hobbyist machiners

I have found a great source of material for projects. Pop around to your local Supaquick, Hi-Q, Speedy Exhausts etc, etc. In fact, any business that replaces motor vehicle shocks. Ask to dig in their scrap bin for the old shocks.

I collected about 20 from various shops yesterday. This is what I have salvaged so far. Solid bars in various diameters, as well as the damper tubes. These are seamless, perfectly round, come in various wall thicknesses and are going to be ideal for making a rifle suppressor or 2.

Care just needs to be taken with dismantling them. I recommend drilling a small hole (2mm) in the bottom end of the shock before cutting it open. Not required for all shocks, but some of them contain about 10bars of nitrogen. Cut it on the top end and your whole workshop will be covered in oil. Drilling the hole releases the pressure so that the top can be removed and the shock then inverted to drain the oil.
    Last edited by ghouwens; 2020/07/21 at 08:52 AM.
    Guy B. Vergoes Houwens
    2014 LC76 4.5 V8

Default Re: Material Source for hobbyist machiners

Quote Originally Posted by ghouwens View Post
    I have found a great source of material for projects. Pop around to your local Supaquick, Hi-Q, Speedy Exhausts etc, etc. In fact, any business that replaces motor vehicle shocks. Ask to dig in their scrap bin for the old shocks.

I collected about 20 from various shops yesterday. This is what I have salvaged so far. Solid bars in various diameters, as well as the damper tubes. These are seamless, perfectly round, come in various wall thicknesses and are going to be ideal for making a rifle suppressor or 2.

Care just needs to be taken with dismantling them. I recommend drilling a small hole (2mm) in the bottom end of the shock before cutting it open. Not required for all shocks, but some of them contain about 10bars of nitrogen. Cut it on the top end and your whole workshop will be covered in oil. Drilling the hole releases the pressure so that the top can be removed and the shock then inverted to drain the oil.
    I wonder what material they use. ?

Quote Originally Posted by plunger View Post
    I wonder what material they use. ?
    Some of it is quite soft. I have found that some of the smaller diameters can be hardened, so they at least have some carbon content. I would check the hardenability (is that a word?) before I use it for anything that needs to be durable.
    Last edited by ghouwens; 2020/07/21 at 12:26 PM.
    Guy B. Vergoes Houwens
    2014 LC76 4.5 V8

Now you have me intrigued what have you made as a model engineer?
    GaryG

4.0 XJ Jeep Cherokee - Go anywhere
    Honda Civic Type R
    - Daily Drive
    Isuzu KB 250 Xrider - Swambo
    Grand Cherokee WK2 Hemi - Sold

Quote Originally Posted by ViperR View Post
    Now you have me intrigued what have you made as a model engineer?
    I don't really build models if that is what you are referring to. I do, however, make tools and stuff because I enjoy it and because I can. I do not have the time (or inclination) to document all of them, but here are some of my projects.

https://www.4x4community.co.za/forum...51#post4357851

https://www.4x4community.co.za/forum...ire-tying-tool

https://www.4x4community.co.za/forum...ng-Tool-Take-2

At present busy with a vice stop for my milling machine and a ball turner for the lathe. The vice stop will use some of the material from the shocks above.
    Guy B. Vergoes Houwens
    2014 LC76 4.5 V8

Yes, ok now I remember I followed all of them.
    GaryG

4.0 XJ Jeep Cherokee - Go anywhere
    Honda Civic Type R
    - Daily Drive
    Isuzu KB 250 Xrider - Swambo
    Grand Cherokee WK2 Hemi - Sold

Talking about alternative sources of material a friend of mine uses old saw blades (metal cutting) to make knives.

Quote Originally Posted by Woolf View Post
    Talking about alternative sources of material a friend of mine uses old saw blades (metal cutting) to make knives.
    Used circular saw blades (and chainsaw bars) are great too.
    Chris
    ZS5CMA
    '17 Hilux 2.8GD-6 D/C 4x4 A/T

9. The Following User Says Thank You to cainslie For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by ghouwens View Post

Back when I still used to build and fly RC planes, I'd also stop by the local tyre spots to get used wheel balancing weights for the lead. Works well for getting the COG correct on larger model aeroplanes.
    Ian de Villiers
    Nissan Patrol GRX 4.5

Ian I never knew you flew RC? Did that as well when I was a laaitie.

That source of lead has pretty much dried up though. Lead is worth money nowadays.
    1996 Patrol 4.2SGL with lots of stuff to make it heavier and thus increase traction?

So I have realized that some of this material is extremely hard. Here is the first project completed using the 2 thinnest shafts.

Vice end stop.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20200728_172439.jpg 
Views:	47 
Size:	98.2 KB 
ID:	582110   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20200728_172402.jpg 
Views:	44 
Size:	89.8 KB 
ID:	582111  
    Guy B. Vergoes Houwens
    2014 LC76 4.5 V8