Which gas geyser make - Page 2

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Default Re: Which gas geyser make

Couple years back I looked at the European makes to replace the cheap Chinese. They are expensive. Company that have done several installations in our holiday place offered this Delta. I am sure it is also Chinese but a bit more sophisticated than the cheaper types. On paper this looked OK. After fixing the installation we have used it for non shower use. We did have a quick test with the showers. We have two in the bathroom. I opened both. Worked OK. Having the old one we could not do it. I will see tomorrow morning.

One thing I noted with the faulty installation. The old dropped the gas burner with minor reduction of the hot water. This one did not. We have only single handle mixers and they are often a problem on gas geyser.

This is not our main house. Holiday place so not too critical.

There are also models that require 230 V to operate. No good.

Quote Originally Posted by emileheyns View Post
    jouko did you look at other makes also? What made you decide on the Delta?
    Jouko
    ----------
    2003 Grand Cherokee 4.7l
    2012 Smart
    Never drive a normal car 8)

I would say that from the usage point of view this constant flow worked better than the cheap simple type. My problem is too long hot water pipe. Gas regulations and associated safety doesn't allow better installation.

There must be over 50 on demand gas geysers at the holiday place. All makes. I would say that they last 10 years plus - all of them. The problems are not geysers as such. Items that fail are red pipes, pig tails and plastic handles of the valves. Having thatch roofs makes installations problematic and more expensive.

As a rule. Pipe gas and not hot water. That means multiple geysers in bigger house. For instance for a kitchen I would put small size cheapest unit. For two joining bathrooms with showers I would put one that keeps the water temperature when the second shower is started.

There is a rule. Gas bottle will be empty during the coldest morning of the year when SWAMBO is in the shower. Make provision for that. Two bottles with switch over valve is the best solution. 48kg lasts long but is heavy to handle. 9 kg is too small. 19 kg is not bad.
    Jouko
    ----------
    2003 Grand Cherokee 4.7l
    2012 Smart
    Never drive a normal car 8)

Quote Originally Posted by Jouko View Post
    Factory left the nut loose, installer did not check. Installer did not open ball valve to allow full water flow. Doing a proper "commissioning" installer would have found both items.

Without VAT prices:
    16 l Delta constant flow: R5900.00
    Flue pipe: 200
    Bend for the flue: 200
    Cap for Flue: 200
    Cover: not on offer but around 200
    Installation: 750. Gas etc pipes were there but had to be modified

Prices 26/6/2020. At that time online price for the geyser was a bit less.

Image shows the cover and flue parts.

Hi,

Which store did you get these prices at. I'm really interested in purchasing one.

Thank you.

When considering gas geysers, some do not like the idea of electrically assisted geysers, and neither do I.

However. I just installed a Typhoon fan forced gas geyser in the flatlet at the back of my house. Power is required to ignite and work but the power requirements are so low (Need to check the specs) that it is a non issue and it will run off a battery backup if need be.

Te fan forced geysers is also a lot more gas efficient than conventional non forced geysers. The one I got consumes 1.84kg/h vs around 2.3 - 3.0kg/h from non forced geysers.
    They also work on lower pressures and flow rates.
    Last edited by Pietsweis; 2020/09/25 at 01:45 AM.
    Pieter Greeff

Quote Originally Posted by Pietsweis View Post
    When considering gas geysers, some do not like the idea of electrically assisted geysers, and neither do I.

However. I just installed a Typhoon fan forced gas geyser in the flatlet at the back of my house. Power is required to ignite and work but the power requirements are so low (Need to check the specs) that it is a non issue and it will run off a battery backup if need be.

Te fan forced geysers is also a lot more gas efficient than conventional non forced geysers. The one I got consumes 1.84kg/h vs around 2.3 - 2.4kg/h from non forced geysers.
    They also work on lower pressures and flow rates.
    What make geyser is that you have there? And what is the water flow per minute?

Quote Originally Posted by Bostoe2 View Post
    What make geyser is that you have there? And what is the water flow per minute?
    It is a 16lt Typhoon.

Not sure what the flow rate spectrum is, but it operates in a range from 0.25 - 8 bar pressure which not a lot of geysers can do.

Very happy with it's performance.

https://shop.gasontherun.co.za/typho...ed-707199.html
    Pieter Greeff

It is a 16lt Typhoon.

Not sure what the flow rate spectrum is, but it operates in a range from 0.25 - 8 bar pressure which not a lot of geysers can do.

Any noticeable noise levels when in use?
    Discovery Landrover 3 tdv6 2008
    Volvo S40 T5 2006

It is a 16lt Typhoon.

Okay nice Dewhot can handel also 8 bar did install a lot of them. I check now a 12l Dewhot gas Consumption is 1.8kg/hr

Quote Originally Posted by emileheyns View Post
    I am thinking of putting in a gas geyser. We have a gas stove, but still electricity is about R2000/month. Family of 6, 2 bathrooms, 7-8 showers per day, dishwasher, that runs twice a day ( I know it won’t use hot water) maybe 2 warm loads of washing per week. Is it either Paloma or Rinnai which is best, how good are the Bosch geysers Also a competitive supplier. Will do installation myself and get COC, thank you
    Thinking outside the box ?

Shower roses to limit water.

Cold washing only - works perfectly

Timer on geyser.

Family discussion meeting.
    There is no task too simple for some people to complicate !

Ford Figo 2016

If you want to go with the cheaper units (NON contstant temp units), then spec a water heater for nearly every place you want hot water, and pipe the gas to the units. With the low flow shower heads that restrict flow to around 3L per minute, a 8L water heater is nearly to big already, and good luck trying to throttle even a 12L unit so that it does not boil and switch off. Only heat the water to the temp you need, and not to 65 and add cold water, you are wasting energy. Throttle your delivery point by adjusting the tap, and causing the water to spend more or less time in the water heater to control the temp.

As an example, you can employ a 16L constant temp unit, which can operate from as little as a 2L/minute flow at 45deg to feed your shower. Off that unit, you pipe to the bath, or kitchen sink to go through another 8 or 12L unit to bump the temp up to what you would like in these areas. The second unit only works when you are filling the basin, but your shower stays constant, and can never burn you. Another handy little addition, is a thermal tap, which will prevent scalding if the water temp goes wonky. This comes in handy when you are feeding your gas water heater with solar hot water, which could simply pass through the water heater, not even activating it, but arriving at your shower at 70Deg. Only problem is, that although these thermal taps are law in many countries around the world to prevent burns, nobody that I know of stocks them in South Africa. Online shops is your answer though.

As another energy saver, have a look at feeding your dishwasher with hot water (especially solar as it is your cheapest source) at a temperature just above the cycle setting. This causes a much shorter (if any) heating cycle for the machine. I got my dish washer from using 2 units on wash, to 0.7 units.
    David/Hillbilly - 1997 SFA Nissan Sani 2,7 TD - 5" lift on 33" tires - Dual Transfer with 4.1 gears

http://www.youtube.com/user/davidabcab

This is my setup at home.
    4 bedroom house, 3 full bathrooms & kitchen.
    It works perfectly with no issues at all.
    Consumption of gas is higher in winter with the input water being colder.
    The price if the Rinnai from my gas supplier is considerably cheaper than when priced with retail outlets.
    Roy

Beneath every ‘Majestic Oak’ lies a ‘Tuff Nut’ that refused to give up!!

Daily Drive : 2010 Discovery 4 SE
    Weekends: 2003 BMW K1200GT

I have a 12lt Dew Hot installed at my workshop with 3 showers connected for my guys.
    I installed a 12 Dew Hot for a Granny flat with a bath basin and kitchen sink... Works Perfectly

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Dudleytheplumber For This Useful Post:

Careful posting pics like that. I know we are all hoarding a bit of extra gas because of the shortage right now, but your stash is over the legal limit of 100kg for residential use/installations.
    David/Hillbilly - 1997 SFA Nissan Sani 2,7 TD - 5" lift on 33" tires - Dual Transfer with 4.1 gears

http://www.youtube.com/user/davidabcab

Oh wow
    No idea that there is a limit as you mention.
    Roy

Beneath every ‘Majestic Oak’ lies a ‘Tuff Nut’ that refused to give up!!

Daily Drive : 2010 Discovery 4 SE
    Weekends: 2003 BMW K1200GT

Quote Originally Posted by Dudleytheplumber View Post
    I have a 12lt Dew Hot installed at my workshop with 3 showers connected for my guys.
    I installed a 12 Dew Hot for a Granny flat with a bath basin and kitchen sink... Works Perfectly
    Have the same setup 12L Dewhot bath basin and kitchen sink. Working this setup for 2 years and no problem

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Bostoe2 For This Useful Post:

How do you size a gas geyser for a house, I get conflicting info with online calculators?

Household with 2 retired people, 2 bathrooms around 10 meters apart and kitchen further away. Mainly shower, but also bath from time to time. As said 2 people, but also don't want to fall short if there are guests, so maybe better to work on 4 people?

My thinking is to do 2 geysers, one for the bathrooms and the other for the kitchen which is some distance away. For the bathrooms 16l, 12l or bigger and will it work with the 2 bathrooms so far apart? For the kitchen 8l or bigger?

Currently leaning towards gas rather than solar, since the up front cost for solar seams to be a lot more, though I should probably start a new thread for this.
    It's in pubs where the world's greatest ideas begin.

Quote Originally Posted by Bostoe2 View Post
    Okay nice Dewhot can handel also 8 bar did install a lot of them. I check now a 12l Dewhot gas Consumption is 1.8kg/hr
    It is not about the upper pressure limit but rather the lower limit which makes it more versatile. They operate on lower pressures which usually gas geysers do not like very much as flow is required to get it to ignite.

So the 16lt Typhoon's gas consumption is about equal to the 12lt Dewhot...
    Pieter Greeff

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2