Default Kgalagadi Trip Report - November 2017

Better late than never

In November 2017 we made our first trip to Kgalagadi. We promised a number of people a trip report but never seemed to have the time. Covid-19 has given us plenty of time to catch up on all those things we kept putting off. The trip changed our lives forever, hope that some of you enjoy our report. It is fairly lengthy with plenty of photos, so maybe best viewed over a day or two, we hope you enjoy it.

Cheers
    John and Linda
    Attached Images Attached Images
    John 2014 Toyota Hilux 4x4 3.0 D4D
    Baobab BL1715 "Kamba"
    "I never knew of a morning in Africa when I woke up and was not happy" - Ernest Hemingway

Kgalagadi 2019 Namibia 2019 Gonarezhou 2019 Mana/Tafika 2018 Kgalagadi 2017 Lion, Hippo, Eland Leguaan, Python

2. The Following 14 Users Say Thank You to Tedx2 For This Useful Post:

Default Re: Kgalagadi Trip Report - November 2017

John and Linda, thank you for this report, your enthusiasm shines throughout it. Yes the PDF route of trip reports works well and you have done a great job.
    Stanley Weakley.
    Toyota Landcruiser 76SW 4,2L diesel.

“Great journeys are memorable not so much for what you saw, but for where you camped”.

Trans East Africa 2015/2016 Trip report https://www.4x4community.co.za/forum...-6-SLOW-DONKEY
    OR
    http://www.4x4community.co.za/forum/...e16?highlight= from post 315.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Stan Weakley For This Useful Post:

Thank you, great report. I have been visiting there since 1969 and still love it!

6. The Following User Says Thank You to RonS For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Stan Weakley View Post
    John and Linda, thank you for this report, your enthusiasm shines throughout it. Yes the PDF route of trip reports works well and you have done a great job.
    Thanks Stan, fortunately we learn from experience, this format provides us with a useful record to keep and we are able to share with non-members too
    Baobab BL1715 "Kamba"
    "I never knew of a morning in Africa when I woke up and was not happy" - Ernest Hemingway

Kgalagadi 2019 Namibia 2019 Gonarezhou 2019 Mana/Tafika 2018 Kgalagadi 2017 Lion, Hippo, Eland Leguaan, Python

Quote Originally Posted by RonS View Post
    Thank you, great report. I have been visiting there since 1969 and still love it!
    Thanks Ron, we went in 2018 and 2019 plus were meant to go in 2020. Hopefully we will be able to go in 2021 if this Covid problem is sorted. You are very blessed to have been experiencing this park for over 50 years.
    Baobab BL1715 "Kamba"

Thank you John & Linda

Great report and great experience shared, topped with great pictures. Your style is good, love the day by day type reports.
    Strange how many have the same "creeping under the skin"experience wrt the Kalahari. Just magical. Been to KTP only twice, yet to spot a leopard.

Thanks again

Frans

"In nature, nothing is on order - appreciate what you do get to experience" - Myself
    Everest 2.0 BiT - BL Boskriek
    Trip Reports: Namibia, Kaa Wilderness, Wildcoast, Botswana, Kgalagadi, Lesotho, Western Cape

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Frans 90 For This Useful Post:

Thank you John and Linda for the wonderful trip I just experienced reading through your report.

I've been to KTP twice and I truly miss it more than any other park, especially KNP. The fact that KTP also don't have a malaria issue makes a huge difference.

Thoroughly enjoyed your trip report and format, you guys certainly were blessed with sightings. But then, you have to put the effort in to get "lucky".

All the best with your future ventures. The Baobab is a great base to use and explore.
    Dirk Theron
    ‘18 Land Cruiser FJ - build to play
    ‘19 Hilux 2.8 GD-6 Auto 4x4 - my best overland build ever
    ‘17 BL865 Ratel4 - the house on wheels
    Life’s a journey, enjoy the ride

12. The Following User Says Thank You to DCTheron For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Frans 90 View Post
    Thank you John & Linda

Great report and great experience shared, topped with great pictures. Your style is good, love the day by day type reports.
    Strange how many have the same "creeping under the skin" experience wrt the Kalahari. Just magical. Been to KTP only twice, yet to spot a leopard.

Thanks again

Frans
    Thanks Frans, it was previous reports of gents like yourself and Stan that inspired me to do the reports on Namibia and Kgalagadi. I really enjoyed the .pdf style that you two use and tried it myself this time around, so much better. We get so much out of this forum that it is only right to give something back when we are able. You are absolutely right re KTP, we returned there in November 2018 with some very close friends, both in their 80's, we hired a Bush Lapa to trial it, our friends camped. Then last year, 2019, we went there for 6 weeks in our own Bush Lapa, we know 6 weeks isn't everyone's cup of tea but we absolutely loved it, we moved around quite a bit, normally 3-5 nights at each place. PS only one more leopard sighting, was so far away we couldn't even get a half decent evidence photo
    Last edited by Tedx2; 2020/07/20 at 10:20 AM.
    Baobab BL1715 "Kamba"

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Tedx2 For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by DCTheron View Post
    Thank you John and Linda for the wonderful trip I just experienced reading through your report.

I've been to KTP twice and I truly miss it more than any other park, especially KNP. The fact that KTP also don't have a malaria issue makes a huge difference.

Thoroughly enjoyed your trip report and format, you guys certainly were blessed with sightings. But then, you have to put the effort in to get "lucky".

All the best with your future ventures. The Baobab is a great base to use and explore.
    Thanks for your kind words Dirk. You are absolutely correct, the Baobab is a real treat and we haven't regretted the purchase for a single minute. We absolutely love Kruger, Mana Pools and Gona Rezhou, but there is something about KTP that sets it apart from the others, we are getting so impatient sitting in Australia, just want to get back into our BL. At least writing this report brought back some great memories
    Baobab BL1715 "Kamba"

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Tedx2 For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Tedx2 View Post
    We get so much out of this forum that it is only right to give something back when we are able.
    Then last year, 2019, we went there for 6 weeks in our own Bush Lapa, we know 6 weeks isn't everyone's cup of tea but we absolutely loved it
    Agree absolutely with giving back.
    I personally would love to do 6 weeks, still working, maybe someday.

"In nature, nothing is on order - appreciate what you do get to experience" - Myself
    Everest 2.0 BiT - BL Boskriek
    Trip Reports: Namibia, Kaa Wilderness, Wildcoast, Botswana, Kgalagadi, Lesotho, Western Cape

18. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Frans 90 For This Useful Post:

John wow wow thanks for a great report

20. The Following User Says Thank You to Boslover For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Boslover View Post
    John wow wow thanks for a great report
    Pleasure Shaun, I trust you saw my PM re your Namibian query
    Baobab BL1715 "Kamba"