Converting a Bus into a Motor Home - Page 2





Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Results 21 to 31 of 31
  1. #21
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    Johannesburg
    Age
    58
    Posts
    31
    Thanked: 29

    Default Re: Converting a Bus into a Motor Home

    I just finalised a conversion of a Sprinter 23 seater to a campervan. Cost of conversion will depend on what you include/exclude in the process. I also re homologated the vehicle to a motorised caravan. Kept the 5 ton GVM so I can carry loads. I dont need PDP but wife and I got our C1 (old code 10) licenses. I can share costs and specific challenges if you are interested.

  2. The Following User Says Thank You to Doggone For This Useful Post:


  3. #22
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Location
    Cape Town Southern Suburbs
    Posts
    3,177
    Thanked: 1175

    Default Re: Converting a Bus into a Motor Home

    Quote Originally Posted by HannesS View Post
    I was wonder how difficult / expensive it is to convert a old bus into motor home, something like below. (https://www.awesomeinventions.com/tr...-mobile-homes/)

    Attachment 580556

    Something like this (https://www.autotrader.co.za/bus-for...turbo/25439920)you can buy for R172 000.

    Attachment 580558

    After mechanically making sure it sound line it out with that cool tuck walls with windows and fit furniture and appliances inside. Should not cost you more than R500k or am I wrong?

    Whats the pitfalls and issues?
    You'll still be driving a 40yr old bus, which I'm assuming is not going to be easy going or much fun.

    Maintenance when needed will be epic.
    Last edited by Skylark; 2020/07/26 at 02:49 AM.

  4. #23
    Join Date
    Nov 2018
    Location
    Pietermaritzburg
    Posts
    4
    Thanked: 25

    Default Re: Converting a Bus into a Motor Home

    Quote Originally Posted by Doggone View Post
    I just finalised a conversion of a Sprinter 23 seater to a campervan. Cost of conversion will depend on what you include/exclude in the process. I also re homologated the vehicle to a motorised caravan. Kept the 5 ton GVM so I can carry loads. I dont need PDP but wife and I got our C1 (old code 10) licenses. I can share costs and specific challenges if you are interested.
    I was under the impression that the South African Law requires that a person who will be operating a vehicle with a GMV > 3500kg, whether laden or not, requires a PrDP to operate that vehicle? In essence, you require a PrDP to operate any Code 10 (C1) rated vehicle on a South African road.

  5. #24
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Edenvale
    Age
    53
    Posts
    1,863
    Thanked: 1342

    Default Re: Converting a Bus into a Motor Home

    Quote Originally Posted by Doggone View Post
    I just finalised a conversion of a Sprinter 23 seater to a campervan. Cost of conversion will depend on what you include/exclude in the process. I also re homologated the vehicle to a motorised caravan. Kept the 5 ton GVM so I can carry loads. I dont need PDP but wife and I got our C1 (old code 10) licenses. I can share costs and specific challenges if you are interested.
    Yes, please and pics would be nice!

  6. #25
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Wartburg
    Age
    60
    Posts
    1,675
    Thanked: 1767

    Default Re: Converting a Bus into a Motor Home

    Quote Originally Posted by BeasT 50 View Post
    I was under the impression that the South African Law requires that a person who will be operating a vehicle with a GMV > 3500kg, whether laden or not, requires a PrDP to operate that vehicle? In essence, you require a PrDP to operate any Code 10 (C1) rated vehicle on a South African road.
    It depends how your camper is classified. If it is classified as a motorhome or mobile caravan, then no PrDP is necessary as it is not used to transport commercial goods not more than 12 passengers, ie it's not a goods vehicle nor mini-bus.

    Also, the class license required depends on the tare of the vehicle, not gross vehicle mass, like for a bakkie. This means that if you can keep your tare of your 4x4 Isuzu/Iveco/etc camper down to under 3.5t, then you can use a code B license, even if your operating mass is over 3.5t

    Here are some docs:
    https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...Lu22TqLbbzyBgi
    Mike Lauterbach

  7. The Following User Says Thank You to mikeml For This Useful Post:


  8. #26
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Durban
    Age
    55
    Posts
    840
    Thanked: 229

    Default Re: Converting a Bus into a Motor Home

    Quote Originally Posted by Doggone View Post
    I just finalised a conversion of a Sprinter 23 seater to a campervan. Cost of conversion will depend on what you include/exclude in the process. I also re homologated the vehicle to a motorised caravan. Kept the 5 ton GVM so I can carry loads. I dont need PDP but wife and I got our C1 (old code 10) licenses. I can share costs and specific challenges if you are interested.
    Yes please, sommer start a new thread with your build and pictures!
    2009 VW Touareg 3l V6 TDi
    2006 Isuzu DMax 300Tdi DC 4x4 (sold)

  9. #27
    Join Date
    Mar 2017
    Location
    Okahandja
    Age
    55
    Posts
    1,013
    Thanked: 741

    Default Re: Converting a Bus into a Motor Home

    Bit of topic. What about a Samil 50 for a motorhome overlander.

  10. #28
    Join Date
    May 2017
    Location
    Cape Town
    Age
    59
    Posts
    918
    Thanked: 1159

    Default Re: Converting a Bus into a Motor Home

    Quote Originally Posted by Doggone View Post
    I just finalised a conversion of a Sprinter 23 seater to a campervan. Cost of conversion will depend on what you include/exclude in the process. I also re homologated the vehicle to a motorised caravan. Kept the 5 ton GVM so I can carry loads. I dont need PDP but wife and I got our C1 (old code 10) licenses. I can share costs and specific challenges if you are interested.
    I am equally interested - please do post as much as you are willing to.
    ZS1ETphonehome

  11. #29
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Pretoria
    Age
    60
    Posts
    195
    Thanked: 165

    Default Re: Converting a Bus into a Motor Home

    Quote Originally Posted by mikeml View Post
    It depends how your camper is classified. If it is classified as a motorhome or mobile caravan, then no PrDP is necessary as it is not used to transport commercial goods not more than 12 passengers, ie it's not a goods vehicle nor mini-bus.

    Also, the class license required depends on the tare of the vehicle, not gross vehicle mass, like for a bakkie. This means that if you can keep your tare of your 4x4 Isuzu/Iveco/etc camper down to under 3.5t, then you can use a code B license, even if your operating mass is over 3.5t

    Here are some docs:
    https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...Lu22TqLbbzyBgi
    All Correct about the PrDP, BUT experience says and I have a whole troop of Moggers with registered ‘Caravans’, that will tell you:

    “The guy/ girl that pulls you off will request to see your PrDP! You will then spend a lot of time to try and convince him/her that you do not need it. Eventually you will have a blood pressure close to an aneurism in the frontal lobe” .

    To obtain a PrDP requires:
    1. A Medical (you need it in any way if you care about yourself),
    2. An eye test (same as medical),
    3. A SAPS clearance on your criminal record (you need it in any way to make sure something did not slip into your life) and
    4. An application at the Authorities.

    Then you are issued with a temp one at the time of the application while waiting for the official one, printed on your license card. A new card is issued every time.

    So our advice, as extensive users of heavy duty campers/ mobile caravans ( Over 3.5k Kg and much over that - My Unimog, registered as a Caravan comes at 5k kg registered Tarra as an example )...

    ... GET your PrDP even if it is not required by Law, and live a life with normal blood pressure. It is easy, cost a few rand and gives endless hours of peace of mind at the roadside pull-over. And you now your health and criminal status...

    Now Weigh Bridges for Mobile Caravans; a story for another day

  12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mogster For This Useful Post:


  13. #30
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Wartburg
    Age
    60
    Posts
    1,675
    Thanked: 1767

    Default Re: Converting a Bus into a Motor Home

    Quote Originally Posted by Mogster View Post
    All Correct about the PrDP, BUT experience says and I have a whole troop of Moggers with registered ‘Caravans’, that will tell you:

    “The guy/ girl that pulls you off will request to see your PrDP! You will then spend a lot of time to try and convince him/her that you do not need it. Eventually you will have a blood pressure close to an aneurism in the frontal lobe” .

    To obtain a PrDP requires:
    1. A Medical (you need it in any way if you care about yourself),
    2. An eye test (same as medical),
    3. A SAPS clearance on your criminal record (you need it in any way to make sure something did not slip into your life) and
    4. An application at the Authorities.

    Then you are issued with a temp one at the time of the application while waiting for the official one, printed on your license card. A new card is issued every time.

    So our advice, as extensive users of heavy duty campers/ mobile caravans ( Over 3.5k Kg and much over that - My Unimog, registered as a Caravan comes at 5k kg registered Tarra as an example )...

    ... GET your PrDP even if it is not required by Law, and live a life with normal blood pressure. It is easy, cost a few rand and gives endless hours of peace of mind at the roadside pull-over. And you now your health and criminal status...

    Now Weigh Bridges for Mobile Caravans; a story for another day
    It makes sense, but I can't be bothered with the Schlepp of renewing PrDP every year.

    What I do is carry the legal requirements, laminated, and simply hand them when they want to see my PrDP. I do the same for Toll gates, where I only have to pay Class 1 because I still have 16" tyres, even if they are oversized. I get a lot of flack there, but the laminated regs help. I also choose a busy lane RH lane for this, as irate hooting cars behind you help speed the process along....
    Mike Lauterbach

  14. #31
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Pretoria
    Age
    60
    Posts
    195
    Thanked: 165

    Default Re: Converting a Bus into a Motor Home

    Every man to his own. Your choice is yours.

    ... every two years...

    Wait until (you) are behind me at the toll-gate . I get out (LHD) walk to the booth, do the transaction, walk back, get up into the truck and move off at safe speed and at my time, in the busy lane..

    When (you) then come past me on the road after the gate ... well I can also speak finger language

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •