Generator Fuel Tank

Default Generator Fuel Tank

I have an Akira generator at home that I managed to get from someone for free but it has a problem with rust in the fuel tank. It runs perfectly for a while until enough rust builds up in the filter in the fuel tap and then cuts out. I have tried every trick I could to try and clean out the rust from the tank but just cannot get all of it out. Does anyone know if it is possible buy a cheap universal replacement tank locally or if there are places that could repair the tank completely without breaking the bank.

Generator looks like this.
    Name:  b1c3a3ea6fed41648d231d15d2d1322f.jpg
Views: 401
Size:  16.3 KB

Default Re: Generator Fuel Tank

If you still have some rust in the tank there is another way you must just find to clean it out. Try removing the fuel cock if you havent yet and run running water with a hosepipe into all directions. This can be a boring job but should get most of the rust out. Have you tried a very flexible pipe connected to a vacuum cleaner and again moving it in al different directions as well as from the end points of the tank to the filler cap?

Connect a temporary tank and filter up for when you run the genny. Empty the tank and put some nuts bolts etc in to loosen up the rust. A piece of chain also works and easier to get out . The vibrations from the genny running should work well enough. Dry no fluid. That will take a couple of days running the genny when necessary. Then clean out tank. Removing the std filter (sieve in tap) and putting in a bigger inline filter (GUD type clear plastic one from Midas etc) with extended fuel pipe to allow you to see and give you a chance to clean / replace when necessary.
    Peter
    SOMETIMES I WAKE UP GRUMPY,

SOMETIMES I JUST LET HER SLEEP!

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Sneaky Pete For This Useful Post:

I had my fuel tank replaced by the Lawnmower Doctor (012) 332 2800.
    In Waverley Pta , close to HTS John Vorster.
    I was about 2 years ago - unfortunately i can't remember the cost.

The also service generators.

Quote Originally Posted by Sneaky Pete View Post
    Connect a temporary tank and filter up for when you run the genny. Empty the tank and put some nuts bolts etc in to loosen up the rust. A piece of chain also works and easier to get out . The vibrations from the genny running should work well enough. Dry no fluid. That will take a couple of days running the genny when necessary. Then clean out tank. Removing the std filter (sieve in tap) and putting in a bigger inline filter (GUD type clear plastic one from Midas etc) with extended fuel pipe to allow you to see and give you a chance to clean / replace when necessary.
    I have tried most of these tricks, chain etc did not remove enough of the rust. I have already put clear fuel pipe in so that I can see when it starts to block up.

Will try Lawnmower Doctor to see what a replacement tank costs and also see if I can get a bigger filter for it.

The chain trick does take a while and is not a quick fix. If you contact your local Silverton branch they do much bigger tanks and should be able to do a genny tank.
    Peter
    SOMETIMES I WAKE UP GRUMPY,

SOMETIMES I JUST LET HER SLEEP!

I had the tank on my generator replaced a few months back. All the Chinese generators have almost identical fuel tanks. The tank was about R1000.00 so not cheap but worth not battling with rust in filters.
    The humble person makes room for progress; the arrogant person believes they’re already there.
    2004 Disco 2 Td5
    Suzuki SJ410 (being rebuild)
    VW Touran 2.0Tdi
    Lotus 7 (replica - not a kit)
    Freelance Photographer (part time)
    Member Of: Southern African Freelancers' Association

That is correct with regards to Chinese genies. You can buy the one from ryobi as it fits

I priced a replacement tank from Ryobi and it comes to roughly R1500, which is quite steep.

Going to just run a small motorbike fuel filter inline and move the tap to after the filter - total cost R100 for filter, connector and new line. Will see how it works out and if it works then replacing the filter every few months at R20 - R30 a shot is no big deal.

Will add a pic here of the setup once I get around to doing it.

OP said in #1 . He got the generator for free gratis.
    Replacement genie is R10k plus.
    So R1500 for a new tank is chips.

Talk to Genpower, they build custom tanks and have off the shelf tanks as well.
    It's in pubs where the world's greatest ideas begin.

Bottle of TC10 in the tank. Shake well every few hours for a day. www.tc10restorer.com - it's acid based and eats rust.

Rinse thoroughly.

Use a bit of 2so with the petrol to avoid the same issue. Water accumulates and sits at the bottom causing rust.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jKpPruWmdtY

Will give the TC10 a try. Generator is sitting at an off grid work site and only sees around 5 hours of use a month (occasional welding and tasks battery tools cannot do) which is why I would rather find a cheap solution to the problem rather than replacing the tank. R1500 can rather be spent on more important/priority items. If no alternative solution works then I will just get a new tank when funds are available for it.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to plakkie For This Useful Post: