Inverters

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Inverters

Default Inverters

Good day,

I want to know if there is website that shows a list of the 20 best inverters on the market,

I know Victron and Goodwe are top of the range, but also expensive.

I am looking for a good inverter with decent after sales service.
    with room for growth/expansion.

thanks

Default Re: Inverters

Political Correctness
    Political Correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional illogical minority, rabidly promoted by a unscrupulous mainstream media which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd ... by the clean end!

Saw this in a pub - no idea why the wife does not see it so:
    I'm not opinionated ... I'm just always right!

3. The Following User Says Thank You to the_terrible_triplett For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Raymondh View Post
    Good day,

I want to know if there is website that shows a list of the 20 best inverters on the market,

thanks
    If you classify Goodwe as expensive you are in for a surprise - Victron is expensive compared to the "cheap" inverters but in line with other "quality" brands.

Goodwe and Sunsynk is the two best value brands in my opinion. Other will differ, but I know Im correct

5. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Tiaan Pot For This Useful Post:

okay

so different question, which one of the cheap inverters are the best?

so but R30 000 inverters because if I go over that I can just buy the victron.

thanks

The question is going to be, what do you need it for... size etc... grid tied or not, input voltage...
    Hennie
    Ford Ranger Wildtrak 4x4
    Disclaimer: The views expressed by me in the above thread and replies are based on my personal experience and perceptions, which may be subjected to change from time to time.
    ORRA Call Sign B165

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Smiles For This Useful Post:

at his stage its for loadshedding only, so only lights and plugs(tv, dstv, wifi and work pc, extra screen.)

If the requirement is not in the near future one might as well buy a cheap China inverter in pure sine design. Later there might be a lot of more better designs. The Changi is working well and many guys here bought some.

As it is for backup and one might want to add a solar panel for when the grid is down then the Axpert type to me is a good call. One cannot buy all the loose items for the price of a ALL IN THE BOX AXPERT.

This is not meant as a NRS097 compliant inverter.

Quote Originally Posted by ekkekan View Post
    This is not meant as a NRS097 compliant inverter.
    There is a clinic in Cape Town that prescribe antibiotics for any ailment

12. The Following User Says Thank You to faniedup For This Useful Post:

so different question, which one of the cheap inverters are the best?
    so but R30 000 inverters because if I go over that I can just buy the victron.
    at his stage its for loadshedding only, so only lights and plugs(tv, dstv, wifi and work pc, extra screen.)
    Maybe you want to start with just a UPS, and build on?
    Split the DB's in the mean time, add the Carlo Gavazzi ET112 so long.
    Consider a Multiplus II 3kva, they are wot about R16 500 or so.
    Maybe a 120ah 2nd Life lithium bank?
    Sorted for lights, plugs etc.

Next get a BMV.

Then add more parts to go grid tied, like:
    Venus
    MPPT and panels

Done and dusted, you are grid tied.

So what it takes a few months, a year, Eskom begone the moment you switch on that MPII.

Ok, there are cheaper options, and some of us have done that.
    Or you can slowly and calmly go for what you want in the end.

Note the "slowly and calmly" ... sit on your hands and put away the CC when the itch gets too much ...
    Political Correctness
    Political Correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional illogical minority, rabidly promoted by a unscrupulous mainstream media which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd ... by the clean end!

Seeing that we have some sort of camping home with atleast a battery, I decided to fit an inverter to my Caravan.

During load shedding I connect my caravan to the house and use the inverter and batteries I have in the caravan.
    I also have a solar panel on the caravan, so if need be, i can charge the batteries between loadshedding.

For me it keeps my caravan battery system healthy and I dont only discover issues during camping...

And I can motivate spending more on my toys to the wife
    Hennie
    Ford Ranger Wildtrak 4x4
    Disclaimer: The views expressed by me in the above thread and replies are based on my personal experience and perceptions, which may be subjected to change from time to time.
    ORRA Call Sign B165

Quote Originally Posted by Smiles View Post
    And I can motivate spending more on my toys to the wife
    Priceless!!!

And we NEVER admit that to them ever ... even though they know we know that they know.
    Political Correctness

Quote Originally Posted by Tiaan Pot View Post
    If you classify Goodwe as expensive you are in for a surprise - Victron is expensive compared to the "cheap" inverters but in line with other "quality" brands.

Goodwe and Sunsynk is the two best value brands in my opinion. Other will differ, but I know Im correct
    I have purchased both the Goodwe and sunsync. Goodwe up and running, no issues, don't really have to watch it, fine tune, understand or constantly fiddle with it....A very nice machine.

I'm in the painful process of trying to get someone to extend the AC cables by 4m so I can do a simple swap of the 2 inverters. Unplug the Goodwe, plug in the Sunsync. Sunsync has the same functionality / configability as the Victron with the ease of installation of the Goodwe.

Sunsync at R22k odd, Goodwe R30k , victron R40K.(tbc)(all plus-minus)..Victron excellent support, Goodwe ok support, sunsync is all user driven but support via a tech website is improving...

Once I've got the sunsync in I'll give a proper, informed view of the 2 inverters.

I believe over time, the sunsync will displace both the victron and goodwe in the 5-8kW range.

I expect the victron team ( hard-core, stubborn supporter types) will be pissed of when the sunsync becomes popular and does what the victron can do, at 1/2 the price..

I need to sit with TTT and do a decent comparison of the 2, sunsync and victron, functionality wise , to see where (If?) they differ.

I've already picked up that the sunsync only has a pass through of 35A, vs Goodwe 40A and the victron 50A?

Now to find somebody to make up cables for me...
    Last edited by NewLandy; 2020/07/18 at 08:44 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by NewLandy View Post
    I have purchased both the Goodwe and sunsync. Goodwe up and running, no issues, don't really have to watch it, fine tune, understand or constantly fiddle with it....A very nice machine.

Sunsync at R22k odd, Goodwe R30k , victron R40K.(tbc)(all plus-minus)..Victron excellent support, Goodwe ok support, sunsync is all user driven but support via a tech website is improving..

I've already picked up that the sunsync only has a pass through of 35A, vs Goodwe 40A and the victron 50A?

The Synsynk 8kW does indeed look very good from a specs side.

If you got your Deye Synsynk 8kW hybrid at R22 000 it was a fantastic deal. It would however seem that they are now priced at R33 500 to R34 500.

The Deye Sunsynk 5kW Hybrid also looks good and worth a look for those still to go this route? R21 500 to R24 500.

Just a note on the AC pass through. The 5kW model is 35A and the 8kW is 50A.

Thanks for the post informing us of the Deye Sunsynk models.

Quote Originally Posted by ekkekan View Post
    The Synsynk 8kW does indeed look very good from a specs side.

If you got your Deye Synsynk 8kW hybrid at R22 000 it was a fantastic deal.
    The R22K is for the 5kW model. The issue with the 8kW model is that, although it can be throttled to only produce 3.5kW, it may be an up hill battle to convince the authorities that one bought an 8kW unit only to throttle it to 3.5kW.

In the states they have a 12kW unit, also very nice, called Sol-Ark there...

Got a Sunsynk installed recently and so far I'm happy. Reason I went with them is that you can connect the geyser to the Smart load / auq out so you do not need to do a geyser conversion, just replace you element with a smaller kw one.

GoodWE, yeah, a colleague had a unfortunate experience with GoodWE.
    Eventually after weeks and weeks of refusals, being ignoring, sending inverter back and forth, on a suggestion from me he went GoodWE international, who eventually passed him onto GooDWE SA who got the SA supplier of the GoodWE to sort it out.

That was smack in the middle of Eskom loadshedding with him on the road and wife and kids home alone.
    It is now fixed, but the trust in the brand, as in his case, is gone.

Quote Originally Posted by NewLandy View Post
    I believe over time, the sunsync will displace both the victron and goodwe in the 5-8kW range.

I expect the victron team ( hard-core, stubborn supporter types) will be pissed of when the sunsync becomes popular and does what the victron can do, at 1/2 the price..
    Let me tell a story:
    When Axpert was taking over the SA market, Victron losing sales all over, another person and I where quite vocal about that on a forum and to Victron HO.
    Guess what, Victron listened. The MD phoned us both to discuss our views on Axpert vs Victron himself.

In the end Victron countered by internationally reducing their pricing, and in some cases, instead of using certain more expensive casings, they opted for lower cost casings, yet keeping the tried and tested inside the same.

Voltronic pricing on the other hand, increased some.
    It seems GoodWE is also slowly increasing, no?

Victron's after-sales support, no-nonsense warranty on all their products, lifetime free software/firmware upgrades, ease of getting help, those cost a ton of money to keep in place. I mean, where in this world can you email the MD of a manufacturer of solar equipment and s[he] gets back to you?

Warranty titbit: Did you know that Victron's warranties follow the product, and not just the 1st owner?
    When I bought 2nd hand Victron MPPT's / inverters via i.e. Gumtree, I asked for the serial number first to check on the warranty status.
    Where does one find that today, that the warranty follows the product over multiple owners?

FWIW.
    Before I completely committed to Victron when I went grid-tied, I was seriously looking at Solis when they where quite new and still really cheap.
    Today they are not cheap compared to when they launched.
    And I must say, I'm quite happy I chose Victron in the end.

Conclusion:
    Victron is like 45 years old, so if SunSync is as well received over say wot, +-5 years (?) and their pricing is then still as low, that would be quite interesting.
    Dropping prices on a new entrant in a market is a very good move to get established, so it is a unfair comparison, but good for the buyer!

And don't forget:
    Axpert has a hard-core, stubborn supporter client base.
    Solis has a hard-core, stubborn supporter client base.
    GoodWE has a hard-core, stubborn supporter client base.
    - it is not just Victron supporters that can be hard-core and stubborn.

I say, let the best product win, and not in the price category only, no, but in all categories like including longevity, after-sales service/support, free software for life and warranty policy/repairs, for those cost a ton of money to put and keep in place for any and all manufacturers.

What I like the most about Victron, they keep on improving their software all the time, as new ideas come about, bugs reported etc. That is scarce today.
    And I know, that other guy who passionately argued for pricing with me, he even got a job as a developer for Victron, right here in SA.
    Political Correctness

21. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to the_terrible_triplett For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Procrates View Post
    Got a Sunsynk installed recently and so far I'm happy. Reason I went with them is that you can connect the geyser to the Smart load / auq out so you do not need to do a geyser conversion, just replace you element with a smaller kw one.
    Interesting.
    What is "Smart load / auq out"?
    How does it work?

From what I know, Axpert, Victron, GoodWE, all install a smaller geyser element to better fit into max the inverter/panels can produce, whilst powering the average loads still.
    Political Correctness

Good day,

thanks
    How can anybody answer this?

What is the factors that YOU looking for that makes the inverter the best?
    Many only look at price and picks the cheapest one.
    Some looks at backup support or functionality and do not worry about price.
    Some look at the complete package and future upgrades.
    Growth and expansion, what does that mean? Power output growth or growth for solar panels?

First decide what you want to do and how much you willing to spend, then go look at what you can afford.
    Many times the two shall not meet.

Going solar if you have a limited budget is not the way to go.
    You cannot just look at the inverter part.
    There is all the other legal requirements that have to be met, that never gets worked into the initial system price, but should be done.
    If you do a poor install and your house burns down your insurance will refuse to pay. Even if the cause was unrelated!

Rather then just do a cheap inverter with 105AH battery backup for UPS and leave the solar panels alone.

2007 Nissan Navara 4L Auto - Worshond

24. The Following User Says Thank You to Wetkit For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by the_terrible_triplett View Post
    GoodWE, yeah, a colleague had a unfortunate experience with GoodWE.
    Eventually after weeks and weeks of refusals, being ignoring, sending inverter back and forth, on a suggestion from me he went GoodWE international, who eventually passed him onto GooDWE SA who got the SA supplier of the GoodWE to sort it out.

That was smack in the middle of Eskom loadshedding with him on the road and wife and kids home alone.
    It is now fixed, but the trust in the brand, as in his case, is gone.

Let me tell a story:
    When Axpert was taking over the SA market, Victron losing sales all over, another person and I where quite vocal about that on a forum and to Victron HO.
    Guess what, Victron listened. The MD phoned us both to discuss our views on Axpert vs Victron himself.

In the end Victron countered by internationally reducing their pricing, and in some cases, instead of using certain more expensive casings, they opted for lower cost casings, yet keeping the tried and tested inside the same.

Voltronic pricing on the other hand, increased some.
    It seems GoodWE is also slowly increasing, no?

Victron's after-sales support, no-nonsense warranty on all their products, lifetime free software/firmware upgrades, ease of getting help, those cost a ton of money to keep in place. I mean, where in this world can you email the MD of a manufacturer of solar equipment and s[he] gets back to you?

Warranty titbit: Did you know that Victron's warranties follow the product, and not just the 1st owner?
    When I bought 2nd hand Victron MPPT's / inverters via i.e. Gumtree, I asked for the serial number first to check on the warranty status.
    Where does one find that today, that the warranty follows the product over multiple owners?

FWIW.
    Before I completely committed to Victron when I went grid-tied, I was seriously looking at Solis when they where quite new and still really cheap.
    Today they are not cheap compared to when they launched.
    And I must say, I'm quite happy I chose Victron in the end.

Conclusion:
    Victron is like 45 years old, so if SunSync is as well received over say wot, +-5 years (?) and their pricing is then still as low, that would be quite interesting.
    Dropping prices on a new entrant in a market is a very good move to get established, so it is a unfair comparison, but good for the buyer!

And don't forget:
    Axpert has a hard-core, stubborn supporter client base.
    Solis has a hard-core, stubborn supporter client base.
    GoodWE has a hard-core, stubborn supporter client base.
    - it is not just Victron supporters that can be hard-core and stubborn.

I say, let the best product win, and not in the price category only, no, but in all categories like including longevity, after-sales service/support, free software for life and warranty policy/repairs, for those cost a ton of money to put and keep in place for any and all manufacturers.

What I like the most about Victron, they keep on improving their software all the time, as new ideas come about, bugs reported etc. That is scarce today.
    And I know, that other guy who passionately argued for pricing with me, he even got a job as a developer for Victron, right here in SA.

Wow, if you do not have shares or vested interest in Victron products you sure are a serious Fanboy.

Quote Originally Posted by the_terrible_triplett View Post
    Interesting.
    What is "Smart load / auq out"?
    How does it work?

From what I know, Axpert, Victron, GoodWE, all install a smaller geyser element to better fit into max the inverter/panels can produce, whilst powering the average loads still.
    In essence, there is an aux port which can be used either for generator/micro inverter input or PV generated power AC output.

One can configure the port to push power to a specific load, when for example you are producing much more PV than your household is using.

So, one can configure 3 loads, the essential load, the h/hold load (everything not on essential) and an additional load to only be used when you have excess PV being generated. Not sure how the elec wiring is done because one would want a bypass switch on that aux load as well

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast