Inverters - Page 2

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Inverters

Default Re: Inverters

Quote Originally Posted by NewLandy View Post
    So, one can configure 3 loads, the essential load, the h/hold load (everything not on essential) and an additional load to only be used when you have excess PV being generated. Not sure how the elec wiring is done because one would want a bypass switch on that aux load as well
    AHA!!! Very cool feature, if one can throw all spare power throughout the day to heating geysers, instead of sending back to the grid.

Pel and I investigated similar devices that you can buy off the shelf in England, to heat your geysers with spare solar power, by not sending that power back into the grid.

He has a GoodWE. We both cannot figure how to tell the inverter to throttle back automatically when geyser is heated, as the two systems are apart, so his and mine would keep on feeding power back to the grid after the geyser is heated.

Did the Synsynk sort this out, i.e. geyser is heated, average power draw is low, so throttle the panels back to not feed anything back?
    That would be a really awesome solution for many.
    Political Correctness
    Political Correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional illogical minority, rabidly promoted by a unscrupulous mainstream media which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd ... by the clean end!

Saw this in a pub - no idea why the wife does not see it so:
    I'm not opinionated ... I'm just always right!

Quote Originally Posted by the_terrible_triplett View Post
    AHA!!! Very cool feature, if one can throw all spare power throughout the day to heating geysers, instead of sending back to the grid.

Pel and I investigated similar devices that you can buy off the shelf in England, to heat your geysers with spare solar power, by not sending that power back into the grid.

He has a GoodWE. We both cannot figure how to tell the inverter to throttle back automatically when geyser is heated, as the two systems are apart, so his and mine would keep on feeding power back to the grid after the geyser is heated.

Did the Synsynk sort this out, i.e. geyser is heated, average power draw is low, so throttle the panels back to not feed anything back?
    Not sure (I'm never sure till i've tested it) but yes, should work, it will only supply what the geyser demands and not feed back to the grid as well.

I doubt if it can divert available from the geyser (which is now hot) and divert remainder to grid. Its a binary option....Feed geyser when excess power from PV...

GoodWE, yeah,

What I like the most about Victron, they keep on improving their software all the time, as new ideas come about, bugs reported etc. That is scarce today.
    And I know, that other guy who passionately argued for pricing with me, he even got a job as a developer for Victron, right here in SA.

This is a great testimony. I bought an axpert/mecer/... and to be honest it was fine as a UPS, and I have added some panels to it now, but it is a far from optimised setup.

Since then Covid has happened and I would hate to support a Chinese company now. As i understand Victron is Dutch. Do they manufacture outside the peoples Republic?

In retrospec I would go for a grid tied solution, that can also take input from batteries and a genny when the mains are down and won't consider axpert again.
    Last edited by stephenplumb; 2020/07/20 at 02:25 PM.

Feeding excess power back to a dump load, like a geyser is something a Victron can do.
    The Goodwe can also do it, but it is not a programmable option and it will also use power from your batteries to power the geyser!!!

2007 Nissan Navara 4L Auto - Worshond

Quote Originally Posted by faniedup View Post
    Wow, if you do not have shares or vested interest in Victron products you sure are a serious Fanboy.
    Maybe a "hard-core, stubborn supporter client"??
    Land Rover Defender Puma

Previous ride: Defender 90 tD5

Sit en �� ek. Almal wat nou so rave oor Smart Load. MLT Powerstar inverters gebruik dit al oor die 12 jaar al met hulle inverter. Myne het dit in.

Nog iets oor Voltronics "Axpert/Mecer" inverters. Ek was nou die dag by n plek, die ou se vir my hulle maak oor n 1000 n jaar reg vir een besigheid, en dis dan nie eers vir Mecer of Mustek dan nie. Ek wil nie sien hoe lyk hulle repair vloer daar nie. Ek deel maar net met julle.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20200720_153153.jpg 
Views:	75 
Size:	266.1 KB 
ID:	580973   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20200720_153204.jpg 
Views:	66 
Size:	219.0 KB 
ID:	580974  
    Last edited by Gerlach; 2020/07/20 at 03:41 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Wetkit View Post
    Feeding excess power back to a dump load, like a geyser is something a Victron can do.
    Please share how you would do it, and not feed back?
    Political Correctness
    Political Correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional illogical minority, rabidly promoted by a unscrupulous mainstream media which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd ... by the clean end!

Please share how you would do it, and not feed back?
    Ja! I would also like to see how they do this and how loads are prioritised.
    The geyser has to be a non priority load. (And I hope the fix is not to simply reduce the wattage of the geyser element until it doesn't trip!)

Quote Originally Posted by stephenplumb View Post
    This is a great testimony. I bought an axpert/mecer/... and to be honest it was fine as a UPS, and I have added some panels to it now, but it is a far from optimised setup.

Since then Covid has happened and I would hate to support a Chinese company now. As i understand Victron is Dutch. Do they manufacture outside the peoples Republic?

In retrospec I would go for a grid tied solution, that can also take input from batteries and a genny when the mains are down and won't consider axpert again.

Fyi - the Dutch supplied money, arms, ammunition to the ANC (which is exactly why you need an inverter in the first place)...Not much difference between them and the Chinese...
    Last edited by NewLandy; 2020/07/20 at 05:45 PM.

Fyi - the Dutch supplied money, arms, ammunition to the ANC (which is exactly why you need an inverter in the first place)...Not much difference between them and the Chinese...
    Good point! I've been thinking about the Dutch people and their relationship with their African offspring. I find them convoluted and I must say I still don't know where they are at. I would have thought they would be proud of the fight that the Boers put up during the Anglo Boer war (like I am and I'm of English extraction!)
    It's a sad topic..

Interesting.
    What is "Smart load / auq out"?
    How does it work?

From what I know, Axpert, Victron, GoodWE, all install a smaller geyser element to better fit into max the inverter/panels can produce, whilst powering the average loads still.

You can use the one circuit of 3 thing.

- Dedicated generator input. Nice if you have one already and you have like a week of rain like last year. If you have a gen with a starter you can even trigger this from the inverter.
    - Connect micro inverters as an input.
    - Connect a non essential load like a geyser. I installed a 2kw element in my geyser to make this easier. When you have enough or excess power you send it to the geyser but say you turn on the kettle and toaster simultaneously it will drop the geyser temporarily until your kettle and toaster is off again. This means you do not need to do an additional geyser conversions.
    Last edited by Procrates; 2020/07/27 at 09:43 AM. Reason: Spelling

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Procrates For This Useful Post:

I realize this discussion is mainly for DIY enthusiasts but I'm in the process of getting a contractor to install a solar power system for me. I have no knowledge of solar systems and need some advice. I obtained 6 quotes and with one exception, all recommended one of the voltronic range of inverters Axpert, Kodak, etc). The guy with a three week waiting list, recommends the 5 kw Infini inverter and 7kWh lithium batteries. He has been in business for 14 years. Unfortunately in addition to my limited knowledge, money is also a problem. I'm not able to install a system myself so I must use a contractor. Would it be wiser to use an Axpert or similar or would the Infini be OK?

I have prepaid electricity and use an average of 360 units a month. The main aim is to save on my electricity bill but also to be able to run my fridge/freezer, TV and a light or two at night and during load shedding.

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy M View Post
    I realize this discussion is mainly for DIY enthusiasts but I'm in the process of getting a contractor to install a solar power system for me. I have no knowledge of solar systems and need some advice. I obtained 6 quotes and with one exception, all recommended one of the voltronic range of inverters Axpert, Kodak, etc). The guy with a three week waiting list, recommends the 5 kw Infini inverter and 7kWh lithium batteries. He has been in business for 14 years. Unfortunately in addition to my limited knowledge, money is also a problem. I'm not able to install a system myself so I must use a contractor. Would it be wiser to use an Axpert or similar or would the Infini be OK?

I have prepaid electricity and use an average of 360 units a month. The main aim is to save on my electricity bill but also to be able to run my fridge/freezer, TV and a light or two at night and during load shedding.
    I don't want to pick a argument here guys ...

Jimmy, for deep insight into Axpert, spend some time reading www.powerforum.co.za
    Axpert powerhouse of information ... and DIY tips.
    Ask them also their thoughts about Infini's.

On 360 units pm, really low already, I would consider a smaller Solis grid tied inverter. Size based on what loads you can power daytime, to really shave some more units off. Loads that you can lways run daytime.

Then consider a Axpert as pure UPS for loadshedding, lights, TV and fridges.

Keep it Simple.
    Political Correctness

Yes, dont want to be funny but only using 360 units per month is nothing!

Perhaps just look at a pure UPS solution. Then you not bothered with all the solar issues too.
    A very simple 3KVA Axpert 24V DC with 2 x 200AH batteries should be more than enough to just backup your TV and lights.

PS. Infini is also made by Voltronic.

I bit more information is needed. The 360 units a month does that include heating of a geyser?
    What would the estimated % of power used between 09h00 and 16h00?
    I would go along with the Solis as per TTT but if the CT clamp on the Solis allows any power fed back into the grid the very sensitive settings of Pta pre-paid meter might trip the Munic supply. May be someone can share a device that might prevent any feed back as most gadgets work reactive and cannot predict when a big load will be switched off to throttle back the grid tied inverters.

If it wasn't for pre-paid the Solis 4G would be my choice. Being a non DIY install I would still look at the Solis hybrid RHI model.

Axpert a brilliant UPS nothing more
    Yes I have one in my own house for the last 4 years
    And I even installed one on Saterday

But
    If you are planning a propper system and plan on cutting on your monthly Grid usages and have the money you will be wasting your time and money with an Axpert

Get a Sunsync it's an amazing piece of kit. It's probably an additional R12k but pays for itself in no time
    Last edited by Tiaan Pot; 2020/07/27 at 07:35 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Tiaan Pot View Post
    Axpert a brilliant UPS nothing more
    Yes I have one in my own house for the last 4 years
    And I even installed one on Saterday

But
    If you are planning a propper system and plan on cutting on your monthly Grid usages and have the money you will be wasting your time and money with an Axpert

Get a Sunsync it's an amazing piece of kit. It's probably an additional R12k but pays for itself in no time
    Have you done any sunsync installations?

Have you done any sunsync installations?
    No. I'm not in the business. I only do it for family and friends.
    Saterdays install was for a director at my company who asked. I've done two Victron installs on recommendation from TTT last years just to see what the fuss is about.

I'm planning a upgrade to Sunsynk for myself. Still saving up

My friend does it for a living, he has 3 teams doing probably 10 installs a week with Sunsynk inverters. He only takes on new clients from referrals and his typically booked out 3 weeks in advance but its worth the wait.
    Pm me if are looking for a no BS installer in Jhb

Please help me understand the Sunsync unit.
    I do not see that you can connect a power meter to it, so how can it do Zero consumption?
    Only advantage is that you can parallel these units, so basically you have to put 100% of your load on backup?

Hi all.

I have just installed a 3KVA 24 volt inverter. Everything works perfectly but the fan has remained on constantly for the last 48 hours. This cant be right can it.

Regards
    Gavin
    2015 Discovery 4 30 SDV6 SE
    2007 Defender 90 Puma 2.4
    Metalian Off Road Trailer
    Previous
    2010 Discovery 4 30 TDV6 SE
    Discovery 3 V6 S
    Discovery 2 TD5
    Defender 90 TDI
    Defender 110 V8 Hard Top
    Jurgens Xplorer