FJ Cruiser OEM Roof Rack - Kayak Craddle Options

Default FJ Cruiser OEM Roof Rack - Kayak Craddle Options

Hi All,

I was wondering if their is anyone here who transports a Kayak using the OEM roof rack?

I am considering fitting the Holdfast Wedges to the OEM cross-bars, but checking if there are any other better options?

https://www.loot.co.za/product/holdf...E&gclsrc=aw.ds

I have a fluid synergy 2-man kayak (30kg).
    Last edited by golfgt; 2020/07/14 at 11:38 PM.

Default Re: FJ Cruiser OEM Roof Rack - Kayak Craddle Options

I generally make my own and my ideas come from Thule, they have great kit but expensive. https://thulestore.co.za/racks-carri...BoCm-AQAvD_BwE

Thanks

Bit late to the party but here goes anyway. I have a set of those Holdfast wedges. They work well and for your Synergy they are robust enough to slide the kayak onto from the back of the car in the event that your arms are too tired to lift the boat over your head. Also easy to adjust and fit solidly onto the bar. The Thule ones are great, but expensive as RR has mentioned, I have some for my race kayak but they are a rubbery surface which makes it harder to slide a boat on. Thule do make a fabric covered wedge by the way. The positive about the Thule is that they are flexible and fold around the kayak hull.
    A dog has no use for fancy cars, big homes, or designer clothes. A water logged stick will do just fine. A dog doesn't care if you’re rich or poor, clever or dull, smart or dumb. Give her your heart and she'll give you hers. How many people can you say that about? How many people can make you feel rare and pure and special? How many people can make you feel extraordinary?

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Steady For This Useful Post:

Hi Steady

Thanks for the info. I purchased a set of the Holdfast wedges this past weekend from Canoe concepts in Edenvale. I just need to find someone to do the fabrication for me to fit the wedges, or I might just attempt it myself.

The Thule racks are really nice, but pricey

I have a Wilderness Systems Tarpon 130 that sits on the oem rack no problem, all I did was put two horizontal slats together at the front to strengthen it and I have some 50mm flexible tubing over the back bar to slide the kayak on, no wedges needed! No problem at speed.....just use decent cam straps.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    FJC - Just Cruising

8. The Following User Says Thank You to dirtshark For This Useful Post: