Ford & Mazda Ford Everest roof rack options

Default Ford Everest roof rack options

From what I have read only, there are 2 options available for the Everest when using the existing vehicle roof rails. I do not want the rack permanently mounted as I have the moonroof and don't want the rack obscuring the roof for 95% of the time when I don't need it. I typically use the rack for bulky or dirty load like firewood whne camping/in remote areas. I am aware the moonroof load rating is 80kg and the rack rating even less.

Thule - consists of feet, cross bars and a "basket" or rack which mounts onto the cross bars. The rack, rails and feet are over R20k. The basket option is around R13k and a bit on the small side. The basket height on top of the cross bars makes the total height too high for most covered parking (typically 2.1m height restriction), so I would have no choice but to remove the basket.
    Rhinorack - Ford sells the Rhinorack feet and cross bars as a Ford accessory (R6.7k). It is also possible to get Rhinorack feet and rack which installs directly to the feet, which appears to be very popular in Oz (where the Rhinorack is made). The only problem is the local reps do not answer e-mails and said on the phone they are not trading until level 2... (can't even answer an e-mail or quote)

Anyway, I would be interested to know what others have tried and what are the pros and cons. Thanks.
    Todd
    2020 Ford Everest Limited bi-turbo

Default Re: Ford Everest roof rack options

Hi Todd, Iím in exactly the same predicament. I do have the standard Thule roof rails on currently and Iím convinced I can get a rack like a Front Runner or similar to mount to the Thule feet.

Iíve had up to three mountain bikes on the rails and have never had an issue so donít reckon weight will be an issue for the Thule feet to handle.

Iím going get my hands on a Thule roof rack and see what I can do, even if it means having a slim adapter of sorts made to connect the two systems. Will update if I win.
    2018 Ford Everest 3.2 Limited

I was also looking around as i dont want the fixed frontrunner roof platform. I looked around and found that the Thule supplier racknroad in Pretoria uses thule feet and special frontrunner adapters(without the thule bars) mounted directly to a frontrunner rack. I was going to fit it, but then covid19 hit. I have some specs and pictures from them if you are interested?

Quote Originally Posted by dafila View Post
    I was also looking around as i dont want the fixed frontrunner roof platform. I looked around and found that the Thule supplier racknroad in Pretoria uses thule feet and special frontrunner adapters(without the thule bars) mounted directly to a frontrunner rack. I was going to fit it, but then covid19 hit. I have some specs and pictures from them if you are interested?
    I would definitely be interested please..!

-Tobie-
    -----------------------------------------------
    '18 Ford Everest 3.2 Limited 4x4 Auto
    '17 Ford Kuga 1.5T Trend Auto
    '18 Jurgens XT65B

More photos of roof rack mounted on tule bars.
    -Tobie-
    '18 Ford Everest 3.2 Limited 4x4 Auto
    '17 Ford Kuga 1.5T Trend Auto
    '18 Jurgens XT65B

Quote Originally Posted by Koppycat View Post
    I would definitely be interested please..!
    Ok, so the quote I got from racknroad is:

Slimline II 1560 mm tray rack: R9069 incl vat
    Thule Kit 4070: R999
    Thule 753 feet: R2499
    Front Runner Adapters: R839 (these ones https://www.frontrunneroutfitters.co...or-plates.html)

Name:  rack.jpg
Views: 146
Size:  255.4 KB

Thatís awesome... thanks for info. Will definitely order those Frontrunner adapters.

Noooo! I just sold my FR roof rack. Now I see all I needed was some Thule feet and FR adapter plates
    Todd
    2020 Ford Everest Limited bi-turbo

The Front Runner foot rail mounting system is tried and tested for off road use. Although convenient, would the existing rails and Thule feet be able to take the beating that a badly corrugated road hands out? Has anyone used this set up and had an issue?

With regard to the warranty and safety which one of the two companies is going to take the liability if there is an issue?

2010 Land Rover Defender 90
    Front Runner Roof Rack, Rear Ladder

@daisy_thedefender

Quote Originally Posted by antennick View Post
    The Front Runner foot rail mounting system is tried and tested for off road use. Although convenient, would the existing rails and Thule feet be able to take the beating that a badly corrugated road hands out? Has anyone used this set up and had an issue?

With regard to the warranty and safety which one of the two companies is going to take the liability if there is an issue?
    I can only comment based on the fact that Iíve had up to three mountain bikes mounted to the Thule rails with a high centre of gravity. Iíve travelled on bad roads with this setup and have never experienced any issues.

I wonít be looking at carrying huge weight on a rack at all so I think it would be fine.

I built my own rack based on the Thule feet.

It has handled multiple trips and a roof top tent without issues. All in the cost was about R6000, and can be removed and fitted in 5 mins. I used steel square tubing for the main supports and aluminium for the rack part.

All photos are in the link below

https://www.4x4community.co.za/forum...89#post4364889
    2000 Land Rover Defender 90 2.8i
    2016 Ford Everest 3.2Tdci XLT AWD A/T

Always go for the deepest mud, muddy stories make the best memories!