D3 TDV6 - What a monster tow vehicle!

Default D3 TDV6 - What a monster tow vehicle!

Yesterday, dad and I had to go and fetch a Pajero Gen 2 DID 5-doorin Colenso Natal and wnet over van Rheenens.

As we did not know what to expect, we took with a double axle vehicle trailer and as we got there, we found the Pajero in suspect condition, with a lapsed license etc and loaded it.

Now I need to reiterate this as most people are not aware of it: The Land Rover is rated to two 3.5 Tons.

However, under our local laws one can only two a trailer with run-in brakes where the GVM of the trailer does not exceed the Tarra of the vehicle.

If you exceed the above, you need service brakes on the trailer.

We were therefore about 600kg on the wrong side of the law with the D3 that can tow 2.5 Tons with run-in brakes and our tail was 3.1 Tons.

I have a lot of towing experience and have done my share of heavy towing with many different vehicles.

All that I can say about his tow was WOW!!

The wind was so strong at van Rheenes, that it blew over a truck. In that wind, I expected stability issues an yet, even the strongest gusts only resulted in mild effect on the Land Rover.

There were times where I could feel one of the rear brakes dragging as the stability controll pulled to counter a swing in this winds.

I simply cannot believe that such a heavy tail can have so little effect of the handling of a vehicle compared to how it feels under normal conditions.

We managed a comfortable 90 km/h with a severe head wind and steep inclines in that wind we comfortable manged 80 km/h.

Later when we found our selfves on level roads, we upped the speed to 100 km/h.

Oaks, it is hard not to get respect for this kind of effortless towing.

I can pretty much understand why the oaks who does horse boxes, use the Discovery / Range Rover as a vehicle of choice.

I honestly doubt that there are many vehicles that can match this, except of course later Land Rovers...
    1999 Discovery 1, 300 Tdi - "Tink Tanky"
    2004 Discovery 2 Td5 - "Blink Tanky"

"Logic is a systematic method of coming to the wrong conclusion with confidence."

"A technician will let a system degenerate to the level of his understanding and maintain it there."

"...it is abundantly clear that you are an arrogant C-nut." - Estee. (I was overwhelmed. It was the nicest thing someone has said to me in a week!)

2. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to biltong For This Useful Post:

Default Re: D3 TDV6 - What a monster tow vehicle!

1999 Discovery 1, 300 Tdi - "Tink Tanky"
    2004 Discovery 2 Td5 - "Blink Tanky
    200? Discovery 3 TDV6 - "Towey Tanky"

My name is Rainier and I drive a Jeep.

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Rainier Vermaak For This Useful Post:

That is why for years it won the best towing vehicle all over the world.
    I only tow with mine , off road trailer and I use mine extensively on the beach, I have to tow 4 kms on sand to get to the beach launching site, majority of guys with their other vehicles never goes to this specific site because it is too far and too hard on their vehicles, some start to overheat on that 4 km stretch in high tide, and than the way back over a very high dune, the D3 TDV6 does with no effort in sand mode high revs and momentum.

I also once in the same vehicle had an axle snapping on my off road trailer at 110 kmh, she stayed dead straight until I came to a stop
    Last edited by Koos Best; 2020/07/14 at 08:39 AM.
    Koos Best
    Land Rover Discovery3 TDV6 S.
    VW T5 D/cab 4 Motion with slide on camper

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Koos Best For This Useful Post:

FWM

She

Quote Originally Posted by Makaira View Post
    She
    Correct. Vehicles are female.

She
    At least Land Rovers are, once a month they get emotional with the possibility of a break down

......coming from a proud defender owner.
    Pieter Greyling
    ONE LIFE, LIVE IT!
    ORRA: Z85
    LROC member:5881

-Land Rover Defender 110 Td5
    -BMW F800GS

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to pjf110 For This Useful Post:

Very funny Rainier .Towing with my D3v8 is a breach as well . Towing my Explorer my swambo once mentioned that she actually forgot that we were towing .
    Using Tapatalk

She
    Al 'n paar Landies gehad en tans het ek 3 V8 Discos. Net 'n vrou en 'n Land Rover maak jou mo3r kwaad en gelukkig op dieselfde tyd.
    Henk
    So understand
    Don't waste your time always searching for those wasted years
    Face up, make your stand
    And realize you're living in the golden years

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Henkus For This Useful Post:

The capability of the D3 was truly exceptional for the era - if you think that it was launched about 15 years ago and is still truly world class in so many areas is amazing.

With that comes a lot of technology and they need to be maintained properly but when they’re good, they’re great!
    Andrew

2010 Mazda BT-50 3.0 CRDi