DIY Camping geyser

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default DIY Camping geyser

I want to build a Camping geyser that works on gas.
    Please share some ideas and pictures of yours please.
    I'm thinking of a normal gas burner inside a stainless tube with a coiled copper pipe on the inside.

Respect, I don't mean to be funny or anything but there was also a guy on the forum a while back who was thinking of heating water via a contraption around his exhaust pipe. Thing that worries me is that steam causes pressure, serious pressure, and pressure can lead to almighty explosions and flying schrapnel and faster than one might think. My 2c worth - As long as this is taken into account, have fun.

what I actually want to do is to use the geyser with a waterpump that where you open the tap, the igniter starts the gas and you regulate the heat of the water via the flow.when you close the tap it all automatically shuts down.

or is it just better to buy one of those at the shops

I am no engineer, but am just coming from the safety side (gas + steam is one hellava mix). Maybe it is because on my latest trip a guy forgot the simplest of gas safety rules and forgot to check the rubber ring on his gas ring. It did not even have one anymore. It was screwed on, on fired up and left unattended. Meanwhile flames were spewing out under the ring where it screws into the bottle. Fortunately it was noticed and the gas was switched off. By that time, however, the 10KG! gas bottle was almost too hot to lift up. It was immediately doused with cold water but it was a very, very close call. I also saw the aftermath of a wood fire "donkey" water heater explosion. Maybe things like camping gas water heaters should best be bought. Caravan dealerships are treasure troves of all things "mini" - could be they may have something like what you are looking for.

Quote Originally Posted by Groenmamba View Post
    or is it just better to buy one of those at the shops
    That would be my choice.

But there are those here on the forum with the correct tools, materials, and know how to DIY.
    Cheers

ZS5KAD
    3 V8's
    NA TwinTurbo SuperCharger
    A V6 and an inline 4

The frogs are starting to notice that the water is getting warm but it is already too hot to do anything about it.....

Quote Originally Posted by Roadman View Post
    I am no engineer, but am just coming from the safety side (gas + steam is one hellava mix). Maybe it is because on my latest trip a guy forgot the simplest of gas safety rules and forgot to check the rubber ring on his gas ring. It did not even have one anymore. It was screwed on, on fired up and left unattended. Meanwhile flames were spewing out under the ring where it screws into the bottle. Fortunately it was noticed and the gas was switched off. By that time, however, the 10KG! gas bottle was almost too hot to lift up. It was immediately doused with cold water but it was a very, very close call. I also saw the aftermath of a wood fire "donkey" water heater explosion. Maybe things like camping gas water heaters should best be bought. Caravan dealerships are treasure troves of all things "mini" - could be they may have something like what you are looking for.
    Thank you for the advice. I will have a look at the caravan shops.I think it will save me lots of time just to buy one and it would be safer.

You can pick up a fully automatic gas water heater for around R1,000.00. We use ours with a 12v pump to circulate water in a large bucket and heat the water in the bucket. We then shower from the bucket. Beats fiddling with the controls and wasting water while showering.
    2003 Toyota LC 105 GX 4.5 EFI
    2006 Echo 4 trailer
    1998 Toyota LC Prado 90 3.0 TD (retired by accident )

Quote Originally Posted by cwm View Post
    You can pick up a fully automatic gas water heater for around R1,000.00. We use ours with a 12v pump to circulate water in a large bucket and heat the water in the bucket. We then shower from the bucket. Beats fiddling with the controls and wasting water while showering.
    Surely that price must be for a second hand one. From what I have seen at Outdoor Warehouse it is more like R 2000 plus.
    Youth is such a wonderful thing - what a pity it is being wasted on the young.

A while back at one of the gas shops, I also saw a camping shower setup on special for under R1k.

I think it was at Durbanville Gas.
    A while back was prob 2yrs ago.
    -----------------------------
    Isuzu Frontier 280LX 4x4 2001

Bought new - out the box from a dealer about a year ago - price may be a bit higher now. Ours is a 6litre/minute Kexin. It is a compact wall mount unit - we just hang it from the roof rack or anywhere else convenient.
    2006 Echo 4 trailer

Go look at pricecheck.co.za there are 5l/m gas geysers from R1,076.00
    2006 Echo 4 trailer

Quote Originally Posted by cwm View Post
    Bought new - out the box from a dealer about a year ago - price may be a bit higher now. Ours is a 6litre/minute Kexin. It is a compact wall mount unit - we just hang it from the roof rack or anywhere else convenient.
    +100%

I have tried a lot of contraptions from diy to multi purpose units that ended up in not doing any of the tasks it was designed for well. I have ended up in donating most of these gimmicks to the dustbins and flogged the reasonable ones.

The system you want to build is on of the better contraptions but the size of a half decent one can be a problem.

The DewHot system works every time anywhere. It has auto ignite and shut of with all the safeties built in so that the family does not get hurt.
    Invest in a good pump and you will have the perfect solution.
    Henk
    Adventure is out there go find it

Fitment and trailer service. Agent for SnoMaster & Tentco
    Follow us on Facebook

14. The Following User Says Thank You to hbannink For This Useful Post:

Henk, you probably have experience with a few different systems, what do you think of the Hanson 220V/Gas geyser vs the Kexon mentioned above, this for installation in to a trailer?

I would not install into a trailer, there would be a problem getting rid of the heat from the burner. I use mine hanging from the roof rack or some other convenient place.
    2006 Echo 4 trailer

I will look around for a nice compact unit. The DewHot system sounds like a good One.

Quote Originally Posted by bigboy529 View Post
    Henk, you probably have experience with a few different systems, what do you think of the Hanson 220V/Gas geyser vs the Kexon mentioned above, this for installation in to a trailer?
    Hansen used to be the Bowen geyser built in Britain and for long the best system to use in a caravan. It was always a 25l but with the efficient burner and heat transfer one never ran out of hot water. I remember having the wife and 3 boys as well as myself have a shower and still not run out of hot water (the 160l tanks were empty after that)

If mounted in the nose cone it make a perfect addition to our way of life with the only objection being the size of the unit and that one needs to take a bit of extra precaution in protecting it from dust and grime from the tow vehicle.

The main difference is that the Hansen heats the first tank of water to temperature and maintains the temperature where the dew hot or kexin only switches on when hot water is needed. Both units are of excellent quality with the Hansen having a slight advantage in this regard but at a cost of more than 3x that of an equivalent dewhot. Heat from the burner is something you need to deal with regardless unless you run the Hansen on 220V

Personally I have the dewhot stainless unit for two reasons, space and cost. I have a Bowen lying around waiting for a refurbish but bought the flow through.
    Last edited by hbannink; 2014/11/27 at 05:43 PM.
    Henk
    Adventure is out there go find it

Fitment and trailer service. Agent for SnoMaster & Tentco
    Follow us on Facebook

Bought a 6 l/min Dewhot in August for R1818. Works like a charm!
    Just remember to switch it off when you go home or the batteries run flat and the igniter doesn't work on the next trip!

FrontRunner used to have a stainless steel round plate with a coil copper pipe underneath, could not find it on their site. Fits on a gas burner, I have one somewhere in the garage, not sure why they do not have it listed anymore.....?

Quote Originally Posted by 0000ms View Post
    FrontRunner used to have a stainless steel round plate with a coil copper pipe underneath, could not find it on their site. Fits on a gas burner, I have one somewhere in the garage, not sure why they do not have it listed anymore.....?
    The problem with those is that if the water stops flowing you have a problem on your hands. They also cost a small fortune!
    2006 Echo 4 trailer

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast