Namibian Trip: Report 27th September – 31st October 2019 - Page 3

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Default Re: Namibian Trip: Report 27th September – 31st October 2019

Quote Originally Posted by Boesman88 View Post
    hi John,

thank you for taking what must have been hours to curate such a comprehensive trip report for our enjoyment.

You mention if you were to do this again you would extend or shorten your stay at some of the places you visited- what would you have changed?
    Hi Boesman, thankyou for your kind remarks about my Namibian post, it has been a great way to pass the hours whilst in shutdown mode and pretty pleasurable too as it gives us a chance to relive our trip and provides us with a keepsake report for later years, we've enjoyed it so much that we have followed this report up with two reports about trips to Kgalagadi (see the links in our signature below if you are interested).

As regards extension/shorten question some changes would be. We would have rather stayed at one of the private campsites in Sesriem and avoided the NWR campsite, the only good thing about NWR Sesriem is that you can get in to the dunes 30 minutes earlier, the NWR site is overpriced and the ablutions were disgusting as a result of overcrowding. We would have stayed at Kunene River Lodge for 4 nights and given Omarunga campsite a miss, with the river road we would do Epupa as a day trip, we aren't knocking Omarunga, the staff and place were great but apart from the falls there was not much else to do, in our view Kunene River Lodge just had the "X" factor, maybe not all would agree.

Etosha, mmmmmm, we would not return to Olifantsrus at all, it was very bland and game viewing was poor compared to the rest of Etosha. We can't decide what we would do re staying inside the park or stay outside and do daytrips, pros of the NWR sites were camp waterholes, being in the park from the time you wakeup, cons are absolute overcrowding, overpriced and hopeless staff. We had 3 nights at Waterburg, we would have reduced this to two and if you have a trailer make sure they know at the time of booking. Hope these comments, which are our own observations and many may disagree with answer your query.
    John 2014 Toyota Hilux 4x4 3.0 D4D
    Baobab BL1715 "Kamba"
    "I never knew of a morning in Africa when I woke up and was not happy" - Ernest Hemingway

Kgalagadi 2019 Namibia 2019 Gonarezhou 2019 Mana/Tafika 2018 Kgalagadi 2017 Lion, Hippo, Eland Leguaan, Python

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Tedx2 For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Tedx2 View Post
    24th October – 31st October: Kupfurquelle (Tsumeb)/Waterberg Plateau Campsite/Urban Camp (Windhoek)/Bastion (Hardap).... we hope we haven’t bored you to death.
    Wow John, I've just found your trip reports and spent the afternoon reading - great stuff! Thanks so much for sharing. We have done two trips to Namibia in the past and covered everything you did up until Etosha. We are now planning another trip to Nam (to leave as soon as the borders open), and are definitely going to include the KRL. Fortunately Namibia is so beautiful, one can go back on a number of occasions to the same destinations that were really liked - you can always vary the route to get there and it feels like a different holiday! Thank you so much for sharing your trip report, it was really interesting and has got us itching to get to the Kunene!

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Bev Ramsay For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Tedx2 View Post
    ... Hope these comments, which are our own observations and many may disagree with answer your query.
    indeed it does John.

On a previous trip we stayed near Solitaire and the drive to Sesriem was very unpleasant- partly cos we had to get up really really early to drive the 90 odd kms of the worst gravel road in all of Namibia, and partly because we had to drive really slowly with the rental Polo. I promised myself next time we’ll sleep inside the park to be first at the gates (and drive my own 4x4). We are self sufficient campers luckily, so the filthy bathrooms wont be a bother.

thanks for the tips on the places up north too- havent been to Etoshia myself before but looking forward to going soon

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Boesman88 For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Bev Ramsay View Post
    Wow John, I've just found your trip reports and spent the afternoon reading - great stuff! Thanks so much for sharing. We have done two trips to Namibia in the past and covered everything you did up until Etosha. We are now planning another trip to Nam (to leave as soon as the borders open), and are definitely going to include the KRL. Fortunately Namibia is so beautiful, one can go back on a number of occasions to the same destinations that were really liked - you can always vary the route to get there and it feels like a different holiday! Thank you so much for sharing your trip report, it was really interesting and has got us itching to get to the Kunene!
    Thanks Bev, it is great fun doing trip reports whilst we are on effective lockdown, it is the closest thing to actually being back in the African bush. We too wish to return to Namibia when we get a chance, Botswana will come first, we have a trip planned for May 2021 if we are allowed back into Africa. There is so much to see in Namibia and we want to see the Caprivi area, so may combine it with the north of Botswana. The Kunene area is a must, we hope you enjoy it as much as we did.
    Baobab BL1715 "Kamba"
    "I never knew of a morning in Africa when I woke up and was not happy" - Ernest Hemingway

Kgalagadi 2019 Namibia 2019 Gonarezhou 2019 Mana/Tafika 2018 Kgalagadi 2017 Lion, Hippo, Eland Leguaan, Python

Quote Originally Posted by Boesman88 View Post
    indeed it does John.

On a previous trip we stayed near Solitaire and the drive to Sesriem was very unpleasant- partly cos we had to get up really really early to drive the 90 odd kms of the worst gravel road in all of Namibia, and partly because we had to drive really slowly with the rental Polo. I promised myself next time we’ll sleep inside the park to be first at the gates (and drive my own 4x4). We are self sufficient campers luckily, so the filthy bathrooms wont be a bother.

thanks for the tips on the places up north too- havent been to Etoshia myself before but looking forward to going soon
    You are correct about the road from Sesriem to Solitaire, that was the worst "standard" road we experienced on our trip, granted we never went on the extreme 4x4 roads. The point re first in the park is valid, it was just extremely frustrating paying top dollar for a campsite and having such a poor ablution experience. It seems NWR want to cramp as many visitors into their prime camps as possible but don't want to provide adequate facilities, surely they should plough some of the money back into the sites. We are aware that the mess that these places are in is also a product of the people that use them, some should be ashamed of the way they behave. I sincerely hope this is never allowed to happen in SANParks.
    Baobab BL1715 "Kamba"

I couldn’t help to notice the Road Graders that were parked off at Solitaire and I wondered why if they had machinery to fix the road it wasnt done? Then I saw the Trentyre dealership on the same premises where the Graders were parked off. On my way back from Dooievlei my right front tyre had enough and blew out. Luckily they had a single 14” tyre at the same Trentyre Of course at 4 times the price.

what intrigued me was the response from the attendant at the tyre shop when I complained about the cost - “what are you going to do sir, there are no other options are there?” The cynic in me couldnt help but think they are purposefully creating business for themselves by not fixing the roads..

luckily I choose instead to carry fond memories with me of the same attendant who had the most lovely positive attitude I have ever experienced in another human being. Thαt, the rainstorm in the middle of summer in the desert, a rainbow that lingered around around and endless awesomeness that is the Naukluft desert makes me want to go back for more.
    Last edited by Boesman88; 2020/08/01 at 08:44 AM.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Boesman88 For This Useful Post:

Hi John and Linda

This is a good read! Hope you will publish future trip reports too.
    Nice fluent writing style and I like how you also wrote about everyday camping activities and the special experiences on the tour.

"Lekker mense kamp lekker"

Happy future trips and camping

Frik

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Isuz250 For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Isuz250 View Post
    Hi John and Linda

This is a good read! Hope you will publish future trip reports too.
    Nice fluent writing style and I like how you also wrote about everyday camping activities and the special experiences on the tour.

"Lekker mense kamp lekker"

Happy future trips and camping

Frik
    Hi Frik

Thanks for all the complimentary things you said about my report. This report, done about two weeks ago, was my first report, I have changed my format a bit in that I have now done the reports as an attachment because that allows me to use better photos. In the two weeks since this report I have posted another 4 reports, 2 on Kgalagadi, 1 on Mana Pools/Tafika and about an hour ago 1 on Gonarezhou, the format had changed but not the way I like writing. In my signature at the bottom of this reply to you please click on one of the links eg "Gonarezhou 2019" and this will take you directly to that thread.

Stay strong and keep well
    John and Linda
    Baobab BL1715 "Kamba"

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Tedx2 For This Useful Post:

Hi John, as mentioned earlier, wonderful reports and pictures. You have the same easy reading style the many of the community writers have. Thanks for sharing and hope we do bump into each other in life after the virus.

Enjoy the family.

Kind regards

16. The Following User Says Thank You to JamesV For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by JamesV View Post
    Hi John, as mentioned earlier, wonderful reports and pictures. You have the same easy reading style the many of the community writers have. Thanks for sharing and hope we do bump into each other in life after the virus.

Enjoy the family.

Kind regards
    Hi James, thanks for joining us on the TR, yes it will be great to get together once this pandemic is settled, we can share experiences and hopefully a couple of cold ones
    Baobab BL1715 "Kamba"

Thanks Tedx2 (John and Linda)

We are planning a trip for 2021 and having pondered over maps, articles, magazines etc this was a very informative and probably most helpful condensed version. Interestingly most people I've spoken to say you need to see Etosha but it's never been a highlight. It also seems the service levels you experienced at Etosha are not uncommon.

The challenge with Namibia is trying to do too much - the distances are vast! We're planning 3 weeks next year but think we'll end up planning 2 separate trips. Thanks again for your wonderful trip report!

Happy travels
    Allan

19. The Following User Says Thank You to touch_the_earth For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by touch_the_earth View Post
    Thanks Tedx2 (John and Linda)

We are planning a trip for 2021 and having pondered over maps, articles, magazines etc this was a very informative and probably most helpful condensed version. Interestingly most people I've spoken to say you need to see Etosha but it's never been a highlight. It also seems the service levels you experienced at Etosha are not uncommon.

The challenge with Namibia is trying to do too much - the distances are vast! We're planning 3 weeks next year but think we'll end up planning 2 separate trips. Thanks again for your wonderful trip report!

Happy travels
    Allan
    Pleasure Allan, really pleased you enjoyed the report. When we were planning this trip Etosha was going to be more than 1/2 the trip, luckily many on this forum told us that was giant overkill and eventually it constituted less than 1/4. We never realised how much there was to see in Namibia, after all the rest of it is desert, right? Wrong!! Even after 5 weeks there we only saw a fraction of what is available. We will be back for certain and would love to do the north east next time. We would go back to Etosha but it wouldn't be the highlight.

Good luck with your trip, I'm sure you will enjoy the trip wherever you end up, as you say try not to do too much.

Cheers
    John and Linda
    Baobab BL1715 "Kamba"

Hi John, really enjoyed reading your report. Thanks for sharing.

22. The Following User Says Thank You to WillMartin For This Useful Post:

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3