Namibian Trip: Report 27th September – 31st October 2019 - Page 2

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Default Re: Namibian Trip: Report 27th September – 31st October 2019

Quote Originally Posted by Voyageur View Post
    Hi John and Linda

Thanks for the trip report. We’ve started reading it and following it with interest. Some of your itinerary was exactly ours until we were forced to postpone on account of the virus.

Good to hear your news.

Take care

David and Catherine
    Hi David and Catherine

Pleased you are following our thread which is now complete. Not sure if you've visited Namibia before, We're certain you will have a great time when you eventually get there, it is a very special place. If we retired in Africa we would certainly consider Swakop. Hope our paths cross at some time in the future.

Cheers
    John and Linda
    John 2014 Toyota Hilux 4x4 3.0 D4D
    Baobab BL1715 "Kamba"
    "I never knew of a morning in Africa when I woke up and was not happy" - Ernest Hemingway

Kgalagadi 2019 Namibia 2019 Gonarezhou 2019 Mana/Tafika 2018 Kgalagadi 2017 Lion, Hippo, Eland Leguaan, Python

Hi Ted and Linda,

Thank you for a wonderful trip report and photos, you really inspires one to get back to Etosha in September /October.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to SavutiZN For This Useful Post:

Thank you for the report - great to travel a bit vicariously during lockdown
    2005 Toyota Prado 4.0 VX - nicknamed 'The Elephant' by my four and seven-year-olds

www.andrewsalomon.com

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Archaeo For This Useful Post:

Thanks John/Linda

Very useful information for me from this report. Great pictures.

"In nature, nothing is on order - appreciate what you do get to experience" - Myself
    Defender 90 TD5 - BL Boskriek
    Namibia Trip Report, Kaa Wilderness Trip Report, Wildcoast Trip Report, Botswana Trip Report, Kgalagadi Trip Report, Lesotho Trip Report

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Frans 90 For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Frans 90 View Post
    Thanks John/Linda

Very useful information for me from this report. Great pictures.
    Pleasure Frans, I looked at your Namibian Trip Report from May 2019 after completing my report and thought the layout was far superior to mine. I particularly like the way you were able to attach the pictures in "full" photo formats using a .pdf attachment, much better this way. I did not know how to do this but my daughter gave me a crash course yesterday and I revamped my word/.pdf using the same type of format as you used, we obviously won't use it on the forum for this particular report but it is a nice format for us to keep. As mentioned at the start this was my first attempt at a trip report and your report plus those of others have given me good ideas moving forward.
    Baobab BL1715 "Kamba"
    "I never knew of a morning in Africa when I woke up and was not happy" - Ernest Hemingway

Kgalagadi 2019 Namibia 2019 Gonarezhou 2019 Mana/Tafika 2018 Kgalagadi 2017 Lion, Hippo, Eland Leguaan, Python

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Tedx2 For This Useful Post:

Thanks to all those that have commented on or liked my report over the past couple of days, particularly those that have endured to the end. As mentioned to Frans in my post above this has been a good learning curve and will assist as we move forward. I think attaching a .pdf file as Frans did for Southern Namibia 2019 is far easier and at least we can prepare offline and attach when we have internet rather than having to post online gives simpler solutions.
    Baobab BL1715 "Kamba"

John, if I may ask for advice, or anyone else reading this in the know. I saw you camped at both Brandberg White Lady Lodge and Madisa. I plan the same, but only 2 nights each. Which one did you prefer, is it worth staying at both or should I consider combing it as one stay as they are only about 65 km apart. If so, which one would you recommend?

Thanks
    Frans

"In nature, nothing is on order - appreciate what you do get to experience" - Myself
    Namibia Trip Report, Kaa Wilderness Trip Report, Wildcoast Trip Report, Botswana Trip Report, Kgalagadi Trip Report, Lesotho Trip Report

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Frans 90 For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Frans 90 View Post
    John, if I may ask for advice, or anyone else reading this in the know. I saw you camped at both Brandberg White Lady Lodge and Madisa. I plan the same, but only 2 nights each. Which one did you prefer, is it worth staying at both or should I consider combing it as one stay as they are only about 65 km apart. If so, which one would you recommend?

Thanks
    Frans
    Frans, we too had 4 nights to spend on this section of our trip and spent 2 nights at each. I do appreciate that can be a bit of a hassle breaking camp too often, but with your Boskriek that isn't too difficult. You are correct that the camps are only 65 kms apart using the shortest route along the river, D2319, we were told to rather go back to the C35 which made the route 100 kms. In addition Madisa is not where the attractions, rock paintings, organ pipes, burnt mountain are, these are near Twyfelfontein Country Lodge which is a further 52 kms so altogether 152kms further on. The roads were not great so this was probably a 3 hour trip each way. For this reason we would rather stay at both. If we had to only choose one we agreed that Brandberg would be our preference, they have a very nice swimming pool area at their reception and that was where the desert elephant wondered through our site, this we appreciate was very blessed rather than the norm. These are, of course, our views, other may differ.
    Last edited by Tedx2; 2020/07/22 at 01:26 AM.
    Baobab BL1715 "Kamba"

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Tedx2 For This Useful Post:

Thank you John, appreciate the feedback. I think I will stick to the plan of 2 nights each.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Frans 90 For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Tedx2 View Post
    Hi David and Catherine

Pleased you are following our thread which is now complete. Not sure if you've visited Namibia before, We're certain you will have a great time when you eventually get there, it is a very special place. If we retired in Africa we would certainly consider Swakop. Hope our paths cross at some time in the future.

Cheers
    John and Linda
    Hi John and Linda

We have great plans to visit most of the areas you have been to so being able to read about them kicks off our journey sooner rather later, albeit from an armchair for now.

We had planned to start off in KNP for 2 weeks in June and were then going to enter Namibia at Mata Mata but these plans have had to be shelved for now.

I really don’t know when we will all be able to travel again at the moment. There are so many rumors I’m not sure what to make of it all.

In the meantime, we have spent some time tweeking the van which included fitting the Alkos you suggested and purchasing a Trailer Cuff. We feel like we are ready to hit the road again. The sooner the better!

Good to hear from you again.

Stay safe and positive

David and Catherine
    Toyota Fortuner 2.8 GD6 4x4 AT - Shadowfax
    Bush Lapa - iKewer - Dogmatix

18. The Following User Says Thank You to Voyageur For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Voyageur View Post
    Hi John and Linda

We have great plans to visit most of the areas you have been to so being able to read about them kicks off our journey sooner rather later, albeit from an armchair for now.

We had planned to start off in KNP for 2 weeks in June and were then going to enter Namibia at Mata Mata but these plans have had to be shelved for now.

I really don’t know when we will all be able to travel again at the moment. There are so many rumors I’m not sure what to make of it all.

In the meantime, we have spent some time tweeking the van which included fitting the Alkos you suggested and purchasing a Trailer Cuff. We feel like we are ready to hit the road again. The sooner the better!

Good to hear from you again.

Stay safe and positive

David and Catherine
    Hi David and Catherine

Those additions are, we feel, almost imperative, Alkos for stability and Trailer Cuff for security, it is easy to unhitch a caravan in a shopping centre and drive away with it!!! You will love Namibia, we certainly did and will return, there is still much to discover, probably the North East, coupled with a Botswana trip. Just don't know when, I was fishing with a new friend earlier today and he thought Aussie borders will be closed for at least the next year, we sincerely hope not.

If you are bored and looking for something to read please take a look at my Kgalagadi post that we completed yesterday, it was a trip done almost 3 years ago, we've used a .pdf style this time around, lots of photos if the text becomes too much.

https://www.4x4community.co.za/forum...-November-2017

Hope your comment "stay positive" doesn't relate to Covid testing

Look after yourselves
    John and Linda
    Last edited by Tedx2; 2020/07/22 at 01:28 AM.
    Baobab BL1715 "Kamba"

20. The Following User Says Thank You to Tedx2 For This Useful Post:

Thumbs up Re: Namibian Trip: Report 27th September – 31st October 2019

Thanks John and Linda for a thoroughly enjoyable report. Easy reading, great photos and super informative. Much appreciated. Read your Kgalagadi report yesterday and this one today. Great stuff.

22. The Following User Says Thank You to wilfwalk For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by wilfwalk View Post
    Thanks John and Linda for a thoroughly enjoyable report. Easy reading, great photos and super informative. Much appreciated. Read your Kgalagadi report yesterday and this one today. Great stuff.
    Thanks Wilf, appreciate your comments, makes reporting worthwhile knowing that we are bringing others enjoyment. It also brings back great memories for us.

If you haven't already seen it take a look at the YouTube video shown in our signature at the bottom showing a fantastic Lion, Hippo and Eland sighting we had at Mana Pools 2 years ago
    Baobab BL1715 "Kamba"

Reading such a wonderful trip report in these travel-barren times is a true blessing! Thanks, John and Linda, I thoroughly enjoyed id.
    24 hours in a day.... 24 beer in a case.... Coincidence?
    -------------------------------------------------------------
    My blog: Our African Ramblings (https://safaribug.wordpress.com/)

25. The Following User Says Thank You to ortelius For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by ortelius View Post
    Reading such a wonderful trip report in these travel-barren times is a true blessing! Thanks, John and Linda, I thoroughly enjoyed id.
    Thanks Jurij, glad you enjoyed it. It revived good memories for both of us, as good as it gets in these times. We saw your blog in your signature and have started looking at that. Absolutely loved your first few reports, Zimbabwe, Botswana and Kilimanjaro, it should keep us busy for quite a while. If you haven't already seen them take a look at the two YouTube links in our signature, we have been very blessed with many of our sightings, these were both right place at the right time!!
    Last edited by Tedx2; 2020/07/24 at 04:01 AM.
    Baobab BL1715 "Kamba"

27. The Following User Says Thank You to Tedx2 For This Useful Post:

John, both of those video clips are amazing. And I can relate to both of them quite easily.

The water monitor lizard that you filmed in KRL was the same one that visited us while we were camping there a few months before you. It has somehow become a local attraction of Kunene River Lodge. But I envy you witnessing it's fight with the python - I've never seen that snake in the wild.

Those lions with the eland carcass and a hippo licking its blood with a herd of hungry hyenas around are also amazing. We were supposed to be in Mana Pools in a couple of weeks from now, but for obvious reasons, we had to postpone that trip to next year.
    24 hours in a day.... 24 beer in a case.... Coincidence?
    -------------------------------------------------------------
    My blog: Our African Ramblings (https://safaribug.wordpress.com/)

29. The Following User Says Thank You to ortelius For This Useful Post:

John, can I be cheeky and ask when we can expect part 2, 6 weeks in the Kgalagadi?

We have to live vicariously through your fantastic reports.

31. The Following User Says Thank You to RobH For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by ortelius View Post
    John, both of those video clips are amazing. And I can relate to both of them quite easily.

The water monitor lizard that you filmed in KRL was the same one that visited us while we were camping there a few months before you. It has somehow become a local attraction of Kunene River Lodge. But I envy you witnessing it's fight with the python - I've never seen that snake in the wild.

Those lions with the eland carcass and a hippo licking its blood with a herd of hungry hyenas around are also amazing. We were supposed to be in Mana Pools in a couple of weeks from now, but for obvious reasons, we had to postpone that trip to next year.
    Jurij, pleased you enjoyed the videos, we are loving reading through your "African Ramblings" blog, you obviously love Africa as much as we do. Peter, the manager of KRL, was amazed when we told him of the lizard/python attack, he told us they had both been in the area for a long period of time and would have encountered one another on multiple occasions, we'll never know what provoked the attack on that day.

Sorry your Mana trip is on hold, that is one of our favorite destinations, hope things settle down and you make it next year. We too hope to be in Mana in 2021, not sure when, who knows our paths may cross and we can get together for one of your 24 beers. The lion attack was spectacular, we witnessed the entire event and could have been on the menu if the eland wasn't around, for more context and an actual written account see our post

https://www.4x4community.co.za/forum...83#post4103383
    Baobab BL1715 "Kamba"

33. The Following User Says Thank You to Tedx2 For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by RobH View Post
    John, can I be cheeky and ask when we can expect part 2, 6 weeks in the Kgalagadi?

We have to live vicariously through your fantastic reports.
    Rob, thanks for taking time to read through this. Linda had been pressing for me to make a record of the 6 weeks in Kgalagadi and I had been resisting but your request has tipped the scales in her favour. I will work on it this week.

I'm not certain if you have seen it but after posting this Namibian Trip we also did a report on our first ever Kgalagadi trip in November 2017, I'm not certain if you have read it, it is in the Northern Cape section of the forum, there is a link in our signature below. We did change the format for that report choosing to rather post as a .pdf as that allows for photographs that are larger than the small ones that accompanied the Namibian Report, with hindsight possibly I should have rather split the .pdf in two as the report plus photos was maybe too long and may intimidate readers.

PS I had to look up the word vicariously when it was used earlier by another forum member
    Baobab BL1715 "Kamba"

35. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Tedx2 For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Tedx2 View Post
    ....I think when we return to Namibia we will probably try and build in some flexibility as there are certainly some places we would’ve wanted to extend or reduce our stay. Our schedule was as follows;

Sendelingsdrif to Canyon Roadhouse: 27th September: 222 kms
    Canyon Roadhouse to Klein Aus Vista: 29th September: 292 kms
    Klein Aus Vista to NWR Sesriem Camp: 1st October: 350 kms
    NWR Sesriem Camp to Solitaire Desert Farm: 2nd October: 90 kms
    Solitaire Desert Farm to Alte Brucke (Swakop): 3rd October: 269 kms
    Alte Brucke (Swakop) to Spitzkoppe Camp: 6th October: 150 kms
    Spitzkoppe Camp to Brandberg White Lady Lodge: 7th October: 129 kms
    Brandberg White Lady Lodge to Madisa Camp (Twyfelfontein): 9th October: 103 kms
    Madisa Camp (Twyfelfontein) to Opuwo Country Lodge: 11th October: 426 kms
    Opuwo Country Lodge to Omarunga Campsite (Epupa Falls): 12th October: 185 kms
    Omarunga Campsite (Epupa Falls) to Kunene River Lodge: 14th October: 97 kms
    Kunene River Lodge to Etosha (Olifantsrus Camp): 16th October: 361 kms
    Etosha (Olifantsrus Camp) to Etosha (Okaukuejo Camp): 18th October: 135 kms
    Etosha (Okaukuejo Camp) to Etosha (Halali Camp): 20th October: 82 kms
    Etosha (Halali Camp) to Etosha (Namutoni Camp): 22nd October: 91 kms
    Etosha (Namutoni Camp) to Kupfurquelle (Tsumeb): 24th October: 112 kms
    Kupfurquelle (Tsumeb) to Waterberg Plateau Campsite: 25th October: 300 kms
    Waterberg Plateau Campsite to Urban Camp (Windhoek): 28th October: 291 kms
    Urban Camp (Windhoek) to Bastion Farmyard B&B (Hardap): 30th October: 256 kms
    Bastion Farmyard B&B (Hardap) to Mata Mata (Kgalagadi): 31st October: 311 kms
    hi John,

thank you for taking what must have been hours to curate such a comprehensive trip report for our enjoyment.

You mention if you were to do this again you would extend or shorten your stay at some of the places you visted- what would you have changed?
    Last edited by Boesman88; 2020/07/29 at 10:42 PM.

37. The Following User Says Thank You to Boesman88 For This Useful Post:

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast