My Touareg failed me - Page 4

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4

Default Re: My Touareg failed me

Quote Originally Posted by douglash View Post
    HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHA - Sorry at OP for the OTcomment/LOL, but it seems Jelo has such a thing against Land Rover Discoveries he even brings it up in VW threads.

Jelo - you make me laugh. A lot.
    Happens every time... a toybox posts someting completely unrelated in a vw thread and all the usual landy haters jump on the wagon. Pathetic.
    Last edited by TwinDisco; 2020/08/03 at 04:00 PM.
    2006 VW Touareg 4.2 V8 Auto
    2000 Disco 2 GS 4.6 V8 Auto

2013 Wildebeest Kalfie Boswa
    2002 Audi S6 4.2 V8 quattro

2013 Freelander SD4 (SWAMBO)
    ORRA Z07

Quote Originally Posted by TwinDisco View Post
    Happens every time... a toybox posts someting completely unrelated in a vw thread and all the usual landy haters jump on the wagon. Pathetic.
    See my response.
    2012 Jeep Sahara Unlimited 3.6 V6
    Percivamus

Quote Originally Posted by jelo View Post
    well, it is a great example of what not to buy if going overland..........

or this thread:

https://www.4x4community.co.za/forum...-on-my-vehicle

And I'd buy a decent D1 any day.
    Well, not really. If you maintain a Discovery you can do whatever you want with it... regardless of your opinions.

But, you still take it upon yourself to bring the LR bashing into threads that are remotely similar. I say it again, you make me laugh...
    2004 LR Discovery 2 Td5 GS - Hybrid Turbo, Intercooler, 33's, 2" Lift, V8 TC, Ashcroft CW&P 3.75 + ATB lockers. [GoldiloX]
    2003 LR Discovery 2 Td5 ES - Lots of Mods(check thread) - [Husky]
    2010 LR Discovery 4 V8 HSE - Lifted with IIDtool, Powered by Petrol and Running on Cooper AT3 LT (new spec) 265/65/18s [Imvubu] - SOLD

Quote Originally Posted by douglash View Post
    . I say it again, you make me laugh...
    Well my work here is done then.

EDIT: and please note, I only bash their crap products
    Last edited by jelo; 2020/08/03 at 04:07 PM.
    Percivamus

I'm sitting with a VW and Defenders, it's simple the Defenders do the grunt work and the Amarok does the shopping, the shopping trip is a +-200km round trip on shitty gravel roads that are often washed away and normally weights about 800kg to a ton with fuel so getting the eggs isn't a run to the corner shop.
    If you want to go into the back end of know where it's simple, go old-school, I personally don't care if it's a Toyota, Land Rover, Nissan etc etc. If you are cruising around most of Southern Africa go as high tech as you like, helps a phone call away and why not have the comfort?
    I love my Amarok, comfy, fast, light on fuel and if serviced and looked after reliable so far.
    1996 300 TDI Defender 110 (Aqualung)
    1997 2.8i Defender 110 (Fats)
    1982 Mog 416
    1980 FJ45 (Piglet)
    1967 series 2a (dugudugu)
    1958 series 2 (Betty)
    Amarok (platcar to fetch eggs)

Self made nilionaire

Quote Originally Posted by JLK View Post
    In know now quit a few people driving a touareg with a toyota in the yard also
    I saw Nys joined me!!!!!!!

Kalahari (Occasional visitor to Morningside)

Quote Originally Posted by kellyman View Post
    This is one reason i am thinking of moving away from German cars. I have owned 2 Audis since 2012 and as they get older, the issues are endless. I hear similar horrible stories with other German brands. As I type, i have a whole list of things that need to be fixed and i am weighing my options between parking the car and buying a simple run around vehicle.

- hand brake module dead. I stopped using the handbrake 15 months ago.
    - High beam bulbs don't last 3 months
    - High pressure pump issue (this thing costs R7,000)
    - Aircon compressor
    - Aircon pump switch
    - Complete suspension, both rear and front (Estimate R25,000)
    - Engine mountings
    - Full MAJOR service

My Estimate is around R50,000 to get the car back to sweet levels. Is it worth investing so much in an old Audi A6? I wonder!
    I have probably been lucky with my Audi, in about 5 years of ownership, it has not given me any issues whatsoever. Toyota's are nice on the pocket - but not so lekker on comfort or handling.

one have to choose your battles. If it is a bakkie, I will get a Toyota, hence I am in market for a Cruiser. SUV - I'd get a Treg anyday.
    Daily: 2010 MK6 GTI Tornado Red
    Occasional: 2014 Audi A8L V8 - The Boat
    Towing van: 2008 Touareg V10
    Hers: 2015 Honda Accord 3.5 Exclusive
    Farm car: 2013 Hilux V6 4.0 Heritage Edition
    Sold: 2007 MK5 GTI Tornado Red
    Stolen: 2015 Toyota Landcruiser V8 SC

Quote Originally Posted by 4eTouareg View Post
    It only takes so long before they arrive
    With my Prado being 13 years old. It it didn't fail in 13 years it probably wont break. Oh I had fuel fillet pipe go on me cost R400 odd bucks but could fix myself without breaking a sweat. On the LC pickup I had speedo sender went. Got it first R1800 but never cost a house to fix. It no wonder they hold their value. Had an Audi A6 allroad in Mont condition was my holiday car with 140k on it nobody would give me the time of day for it. But that's the school fees you'll pay

Quote Originally Posted by Mueneni View Post
    I have probably been lucky with my Audi, in about 5 years of ownership, it has not given me any issues whatsoever. Toyota's are nice on the pocket - but not so lekker on comfort or handling.

one have to choose your battles. If it is a bakkie, I will get a Toyota, hence I am in market for a Cruiser. SUV - I'd get a Treg anyday.

I had an Audi for 10 years and loved it, but when the trouble started it did it proper, unfortunately it only had about 170 000 km's on it, and the engine itself was still great. Today I will shy away from German cars because of my experience with that one vehicle (oh and a bit from the previous one, a Golf) and the service around it.

Now I have two Toyota's, and as for the comfort, one is an Lexus, I will see how the reliability on that one goes, the other Toyota, I've had it for 13 years now, still going strong and hoping to retire with it.

So us Toyota fanboys can be criticized, but there are reasons for our loyalty to the brand and telling our experiences is not about brand bashing but hopefully helping others to learn from our sufferings, or costs.
    Last edited by BarryCH; 2020/08/04 at 09:36 AM.

If you fix a Toyota you'll probably get some of the cost back when you resell it, if you fix a German vehicle you'll still l have to near pay someone to take it off your hands when you sell it

That for me really is the crunch point, the resell value on most German vehicles is epically bad.

People's perceptions:
    Seller - just spent a mint repairing my Toyota. Buyer - awesome it'll drive for another 500k km
    Seller - just spent a mint repairing my German vehicle. Buyer - it's got problems, it's a hand grenade don't touch it!

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Skylark For This Useful Post:

I don't suppose we should start discussing French brands?
    Percivamus

just imagine what this poor owner got offered...

https://www.webuycars.co.za/buy-a-car/73CC55511
    Jacques Jooste

2011 Triton 3.2 Auto 4x4
    2007 Toyota Avensis 2.2 D4D
    2014 Honda CR-V Auto(Sold)
    2007 Prado V6(Sold)

14. The Following User Says Thank You to jooste777 For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by jooste777 View Post

no one here has ever claimed stellar resale values on the Treg's. In fact the poor resale value is the biggest draw card for me as a second hand buyer.

Depending what has been done maintenance wise that Treg could be a bargain or a grenade hence the reason no-one wants to touch it especially with an unknown history.

PS I sold my 2009 Treg on 240k km for about that, but it had a few issues that the buyer was fully aware of.
    Nothing screams "Bad workmanship" like wrinkles in the duct tape

2012 Q7 4.2 TDI
    Birkin SR20VET race car

16. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to mullerza For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by mullerza View Post
    no one here has ever claimed stellar resale values on the Treg's. In fact the poor resale value is the biggest draw card for me as a second hand buyer.

Depending what has been done maintenance wise that Treg could be a bargain or a grenade hence the reason no-one wants to touch it especially with an unknown history.

PS I sold my 2009 Treg on 240k km for about that, but it had a few issues that the buyer was fully aware of.
    Exactly the same reason why I am attracted to German cars and Luxo barges in general, fantastic value for money if you buy a little older. Yes there are some risks there, but so far I am happy with the overall price and package of living with a German car.

Regrading this thread in general, I find it oh so strange that there is always a Toy owner or 3 that will jump in aggressively and punt their world view. As far as I recall this thread was not about that, in fact it was all about a very satisfied owner who had a single R2800 failure in 10 years of Touareg ownership. Seems like pretty decent track record to me...

Oh and just in case anyone was wondering I have owned the following brands:

Land Rover - 1x
    Toyota - 1x
    VW - 1x
    Ford - 2x
    Opel - 2x
    Audi - 2x
    Jeep - 1x
    Renault - 1x

And have very close first hand experience with:

Jaguar - 3x
    Nissan - 2x
    Isuzu - 2x
    Mercedes - 1x
    Mitsubishi - 1x

So I am not totally unexposed to other brands and ways of thinking about the whole question of what to buy.

'12 Audi Q5 3.0 TDi quattro stock standard

'07 VW Touareg (T2) 3.0 V6 TDi (BKS), Air Suspension, Centre and Rear diff locks, DeCAT, 265-65R17 muds - Sold

'01 Jeep WJ Limited 4.7 V8 with some bits - Sold
    '83 Range Rover Classic 3dr 3.5 V8 Rust bucket - Sold

18. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Commander For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by jooste777 View Post

that would be a very tempting buy.........if you had a VCDS unit and some expertise or somebody good locally like Stephan
    Percivamus

20. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jelo For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by jelo View Post
    that would be a very tempting buy.........if you had a VCDS unit and some expertise or somebody good locally like Stephan
    when it comes to we buy cars, they have a very usefull dekra report you can view, it lists all the shortcoming of the vehicle.

in this case there is no report.

the one fatal weakness on these V6 tdi's is coolant. if previous owner put in the wrong colour ( green yellow one) that engine is rusting to bits on the inside.

always make sure its pink/purple

2011 VW Touareg V.8 TDI
    2006 VW Touareg 3.0 TDi air suspension aka Pumba ( sold)
    2003 Pajero IO 2.0 aka Bosvark

Quote Originally Posted by Commander View Post
    Exactly the same reason why I am attracted to German cars and Luxo barges in general, fantastic value for money if you buy a little older. Yes there are some risks there, but so far I am happy with the overall price and package of living with a German car.

Regrading this thread in general, I find it oh so strange that there is always a Toy owner or 3 that will jump in aggressively and punt their world view. As far as I recall this thread was not about that, in fact it was all about a very satisfied owner who had a single R2800 failure in 10 years of Touareg ownership. Seems like pretty decent track record to me...

Oh and just in case anyone was wondering I have owned the following brands:

Land Rover - 1x
    Toyota - 1x
    VW - 1x
    Ford - 2x
    Opel - 2x
    Audi - 2x
    Jeep - 1x
    Renault - 1x

And have very close first hand experience with:

Jaguar - 3x
    Nissan - 2x
    Isuzu - 2x
    Mercedes - 1x
    Mitsubishi - 1x

So I am not totally unexposed to other brands and ways of thinking about the whole question of what to buy.
    If you do your research you probably won't have much issues.

I didn't do my research, and bought a Disco 3 TDV6. That one bit me in the behind like you cannot believe.
    I did my research, and bought a FL2, so far so good.
    I did my research, and bought a F10 530D. Going on close to 200 000 km, almost 3 years of ownership, only issue is the rear window shade thing that doesn't work(bought it with it broken, common problem).
    I did my research, but still bought a 2009 Polo TDI. I knew it was a bad buy, but Swambo really really really wanted it. Yeah, it also bit me badly.
    I also bought a e90 320D. Knew of the common issues, and mine only suffered the EGR Cooler problem. Sold it to get back into 4x4 ing.

Point is, most brands have one or a few problematic cars. Sometimes related to the model, sometimes the engine in the model, sometimes suspension, or electronics, the list goes on.

BTW, it's a bonus in my opinion to get a luxury car for a heck of a lot less money, just because some people think they are problematic, or ticking time bombs, or too expensive to fix.

As for Audi's, they are a bit more pricey to fix sometimes, and I personally won't touch them (I do think the Treg is a fantastic car though), but my mom's 2004 A4 V6 is at about 260 000 km, and since I have been keeping tabs, her repair bills(yes, multiple), was cheaper in total than my one repair bill on the EGR cooler on the 320d.
    2011 Freelander 2 SE
    Swambo : 2012 BMW 530d Msport("the beast")

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4