My Touareg failed me

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Default My Touareg failed me

My 2011 Touareg v6 was parked in the garage overnight. When I wanted to start it the next morning, it gave me a message that told me to park the car and contact the technician. It did not swing the motor, only the message. So I phoned the VW guys and they came to see what was wrong.
    The mechanic told me that it was the steering lock module/ thinge that was malfunctioning and that they had to tow the car to the workshop. Unfortunately for them, the handbrake was engaged and there is not way the could disengage it.
    The car has the same characteristics as a brick now. There is no such devise in Africa . It has to be imported from Germany.

My Touareg has never failed me in almost 10 years an has only 95 000 km on the clock.
    Any similar experience or advice ?

Default Re: My Touareg failed me

I'm quite sure you can disengage the handbrake some other way.

I do know my Autel Diagnostic tool has a whole EPB section, however I haven't had to use it yet.
    Current: 2013 Honda Insight Hybrid CVT
    Ex:
    2005 Volvo XC70 2.5T Geartronic

SWAMBO: 2011 Volvo XC60 D5 AWD Geartronic

Quote Originally Posted by Kix View Post
    I'm quite sure you can disengage the handbrake some other way.

I do know my Autel Diagnostic tool has a whole EPB section, however I haven't had to use it yet.
    same happened to my Renault Megane..had to go in on a flatbed. only to be connected to laptop and reset.

Why cant they just take take the laptop to the vehicle, beats me.
    Robbie
    Fortuner D4D
    Hilux 2.7 4x4 Raider.

How much the part
    2013 Disco 4 XS Lifted
    Toyota Yaris, Swambo's shopping basket
    Jeep Wrangler Sahara 2006 the worsies car for the beach(what a car!! )

Is the battery 100%, I'd check the voltage and hook it up to a charger as a first step.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Skylark For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Thinus Pretorius View Post
    My 2011 Touareg v6 was parked in the garage overnight. When I wanted to start it the next morning, it gave me a message that told me to park the car and contact the technician. It did not swing the motor, only the message. So I phoned the VW guys and they came to see what was wrong.
    The mechanic told me that it was the steering lock module/ thinge that was malfunctioning and that they had to tow the car to the workshop. Unfortunately for them, the handbrake was engaged and there is not way the could disengage it.
    The car has the same characteristics as a brick now. There is no such devise in Africa . It has to be imported from Germany.

My Touareg has never failed me in almost 10 years an has only 95 000 km on the clock.
    Do you have keyless start?
    Nothing screams "Bad workmanship" like wrinkles in the duct tape

2012 Q7 4.2 TDI
    Birkin SR20VET race car

Found a video with a similar problem that i watched over the weekend, sounds like its the same issue your having.

https://youtu.be/w17Yf-Ez5Go

Good luck and keep us updated.
    Curent: VW Touareg 3.0Tdi R-Line
    Current: VW G6 GTi DSG

Ex:Ford Ranger 3.2 Auto 4x4 XLT (Stolen but not forgotten)
    Ex:Paj DiD SWB Auto (Sold but not forgotten)
    Ex:E92 335i 430kw at the wheels! (Sold but not forgotten)

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Kish2604 For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Robbief View Post
    Why cant they just take take the laptop to the vehicle, beats me.
    Slightly off topic, but I had similar situation with the Disco a few months ago. I thought it was just too inconvenient for the mechanic to come to me, so I had to get a truck to move it. The half hour the truck took to load, transport and deliver ended up much cheaper than the mechanic's call-out fee and time.
    Tyrannosaurus R5 and a second hand British Tata
    Quote Originally Posted by 2beFree View Post
    Jan your signature says it all

Quote Originally Posted by JanB View Post
    Slightly off topic, but I had similar situation with the Disco a few months ago. I thought it was just too inconvenient for the mechanic to come to me, so I had to get a truck to move it. The half hour the truck took to load, transport and deliver ended up much cheaper than the mechanic's call-out fee and time.
    When we still had the disco it also cost less to have them take the car there. Actually, it cost me nothing. FNB Garage card paid for it for free
    2011 Freelander 2 SE
    Swambo : 2012 BMW 530d Msport("the beast")

12. The Following User Says Thank You to lizardalpha For This Useful Post:

Thank you for all the replies.
    The mechanic did take out the module and apparently it is faulty.
    I had the charger on the battery for the whole weekend.
    The car is fitted with one of these fancy twist to start keys.
    On the hand break , I have no idea. What I do know is that it is going nowhere.
    Now I have to wait for the part from Germany and have no idea of what the dent in my pocket will be.
    Must say, she served me well. Good fuel and enough power to make a long trip short.
    This is the first hick-up.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Thinus Pretorius For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by JanB View Post

Mine was under warrantee, and the car was 2km from them.

cost me day and 120km trip, using alternative transport and a driver. the Technician still had to sort it out so what did they save.
    Last edited by Robbief; 2020/07/13 at 05:42 PM.
    Robbie
    Fortuner D4D
    Hilux 2.7 4x4 Raider.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Robbief For This Useful Post:

I have a 2008 v6 and had the same problem just before lockdown. Agents said steering column needs to be replaced R25k.. The problem is very simple it is the steering lock actuator, the 2 relays on it goes faulty. If you have time and technical know how you can fix it yourself, but it requires a bit of skill, depending how it is “locked” In my case the steering was locked in some cases you can turn the steering wheel. The relays are R70 each and needs to be soldered into the actuator onto the pc board (actuator sits under the steering - difficult to get to but can be done) I don’t think the setup will be much different on your car. Sounds like in your case the agents is replacing the whole actuator, and them it needs to be recoded. When I read up on it it is a fairly common issue (found lots of posts on various forums)
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DD48FB23-7A11-43C5-89FF-5FA69E4FA287.jpg 
Views:	287 
Size:	56.4 KB 
ID:	579743   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	11F864FF-298F-4D3A-B52E-65502799AB75.jpg 
Views:	274 
Size:	47.1 KB 
ID:	579744   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	E52B1484-FB4E-4FF0-9ED5-92C172AA54DA.jpg 
Views:	272 
Size:	50.1 KB 
ID:	579745   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	CDB74770-AE34-4BEA-B362-6DEC2CD27599.jpg 
Views:	301 
Size:	69.6 KB 
ID:	579746   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	F417E9D9-0D81-4F52-9EB6-AF0C39CCEE1B.jpg 
Views:	286 
Size:	55.6 KB 
ID:	579747  

18. The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to Lupus Lunae For This Useful Post:

Miracles does apparently still happen. VW informed me today that they have ordered the steering lock actuator from Germany
    and eta is about 14 days. Now for the good part. The actuator will cost R 2 100

Must say , some of the comments and of the youtube clips made me very nervous .

20. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Thinus Pretorius For This Useful Post:

ordered the steering lock actuator from Germany
    and eta is about 14 days.
    ask for the old parts back and refer Lupus' post

Some Freelander 2's also suffer from the steering lock issue - But an Indy that knows his stuff sommer switch it off permanently with his computer.
    I have met some crazy people. They have made me their leader...

Si vis pacem, para bellum

The LR D3/4 and RR all have a emergency release for the EPB.Surely the VW must have one?

Glad that the part is not expensive!!
    Last edited by DiscoFrans; 2020/07/20 at 03:22 PM.
    2012 RR TDV8 4.4
    2006 TDV6 SE A/T(Sold)
    2013 Bush Lapa Boskriek B142 met CKGR strepe
    2008 FL2 TD4 SE A/T
    1968 Renault 8 Gordini

[QUOTE=Thinus Pretorius;4432833]Miracles does apparently still happen. VW informed me today that they have ordered the steering lock actuator from Germany
    and eta is about 14 days. Now for the good part. The actuator will cost R 2 100

Must say , some of the comments and of the youtube clips made me very nervous .[/QUOTE

Glad you got it sorted and at relatively low cost. I must say it is worrying though, what does one do when it happens in the middle of nowhere? Not all of us has Lupus Lunae's knowledge & skill.

I would be interested to know if it can be switched off, even if just as a temporary measure.
    Last edited by walkabout; 2020/07/20 at 04:11 PM.
    2009 VW Touareg 3l V6 TDi
    2006 Isuzu DMax 300Tdi DC 4x4 (sold)

Quote Originally Posted by DiscoFrans View Post
    The LR D3/4 and RR all have a emergency release for the EPB.Surely the VW must have one?

Glad that the part is not expensive!!
    This issues actually will not be releasing the electronic hand brake. The problem is getting the vehicle out of park on the Gear Box.

VW electronic hand brake probably has a emergency release like Land Rover D3/D4. I know Mercedes has an emergency release for the park brake on the gear box, never seen it on VW let alone the emergency electronic hand brake release.

I had a failure of an EGR valve actuator and VW replaced it under Warranty. I got the old part back, cleaned it and serviced the mechanism and it was good as new.

Sometimes the actuator coils can fail as well so it is not always just the relay, although it would be the first point of failure in the steering lock. And if the steering is locked in place means that the Gearbox park cannot release and often you cannot even get the car to accessory on state in order to manipulate the ECU modules with a computer.

I wish the part a speedy transit without hassles. Hopefully they don't quarantine the parcel for 10 days

These pathetic modern cars crack me up. They are SUPPOSED to be rugged, reliable and suitable for off-road or rugged use. I fact they are ALL just pansy, Sandton Crusiers which have to be "taken in" at the slightest fault. Give me an older vehicle that when it breaks in the middle of nowhere i can fix it myself without having to reach for my cellphone. If the manufacturers had any shame...which they dont, just being interested in mass sales in largely urban areas...they would hang their collective heads in shame at the electronic garbage they produce.

27. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Rivendell For This Useful Post:

Rustig Boet!
    Are you sure you are only 36?
    Tyrannosaurus R5 and a second hand British Tata
    Quote Originally Posted by 2beFree View Post
    Jan your signature says it all

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast