VW's not having a service book anymore...

Default VW's not having a service book anymore...

How do you keep track of servicing after the warranty expired and VW is not adding it to their system anymore?

Can one buy a blank service book somewhere?
    Current: 2013 Honda Insight Hybrid CVT
    Ex:
    2005 Volvo XC70 2.5T Geartronic

SWAMBO: 2011 Volvo XC60 D5 AWD Geartronic

Default Re: VW's not having a service book anymore...

Quote Originally Posted by Kix View Post
    How do you keep track of servicing after the warranty expired and VW is not adding it to their system anymore?

Strange, it's still being done in the Port Elizabeth/Uitenhage area. Did you confirm what the reason is and if it is not dealer specific?
    Sent from my iPhone

Quote Originally Posted by Rebel 4x4 View Post
    Strange, it's still being done in the Port Elizabeth/Uitenhage area. Did you confirm what the reason is and if it is not dealer specific?
    What is being done?

Our UP! doesn't have a service book and the current shape Vivo also doesn't. Client with the Vivo asked me about keeping track of the services.
    Current: 2013 Honda Insight Hybrid CVT
    Ex:
    2005 Volvo XC70 2.5T Geartronic

SWAMBO: 2011 Volvo XC60 D5 AWD Geartronic

Yip - no service book anymore.
    Last time I checked service info was actually available from VW's database on the VW app.

Keeping invoices for the services, with a detailed account showing items attended to with dates and mileage should be sufficient for any potential buyer.

I have done so all my life running cars out of their warranty periods, also keeping a spreadsheet of detail since the onset of the PC era. Never influenced the prices I have sold my cars at, in fact, I believe it actually shows you cared for the car. In the end, the buyer looks at the condition of the car, drives it and makes his choice. Needless to say, this selling is to private buyers, not dealers.
    2011 Pajero 3.8 GLS LWB
    1996 Conquest 160i RS

Quote Originally Posted by Kix View Post

What I did with my Sedona, is scan all invoices for the services, then created a spreadsheet with hyperlinks to the documents.
    1996 Discovery 1 (SOLD)
    2009 Corsa Utility 1.7Dti (Everyday drive)
    2001 Mercedes C180 (SOLD)
    2012 Nissan Xtrail 2.0 (Weekend Wagon)
    2010 Kia Sedona 2.9Crdi (Written off)

Had a similar experience with SMG BMW. 4 year old vehicle, all services done on time at the dealer but service book was still sealed shut. Not one stamp or even a fingerprint on the cover. They reckon its all online on their system but what happens when a potential buyer wants to see the history?

Quote Originally Posted by Nabs View Post
    Had a similar experience with SMG BMW. 4 year old vehicle, all services done on time at the dealer but service book was still sealed shut. Not one stamp or even a fingerprint on the cover. They reckon its all online on their system but what happens when a potential buyer wants to see the history?
    They can pull a history from their system if given the VIN number. I almost got caught out a while ago with a service book that had been falsified, so I request that as a mater of course now. Obviously only for dealer services, but my criteria is generally FSH with dealer when buying a used vehicle anyway, and this is a very quick and easy way to spot chancers.
    Office Johnny

2008 Triton CC 3.5V6 4x2 - Sold
    2007 Triton DC 2.5DiD 4x4 - Sold
    2007 Pajero GLS 3.2DiD - Sold

Quote Originally Posted by petermoffat View Post
    They can pull a history from their system if given the VIN number. I almost got caught out a while ago with a service book that had been falsified, so I request that as a mater of course now. Obviously only for dealer services, but my criteria is generally FSH with dealer when buying a used vehicle anyway, and this is a very quick and easy way to spot chancers.
    Not for the Mazda I bought last week - VIN only showed first owner's details, end of story. Had a similar experience when I bought my Pajero from a dealer in 2015. They both blamed corporate takeovers for loss of records! Whole industry is becoming a bit dodge these days ...
    2011 Pajero 3.8 GLS LWB
    1996 Conquest 160i RS