Discovery 1 300tdi AC guide pulley problem

Default 300tdi AC guide pulley problem

Hi,

Please could I get some guidance with my small problem

Is the AC guide pulley a separate unit, should it just pull off to be replaced? Or is it part of the cover.

I guess that this may have been covered before, but I can not get mine loose (already removed the center bolt on it) and before I damage anything I thought it best to ask.

Also I discovered that the previous Indy stripped 2 of the 3 bolts on replacing the AC belt tensioner. Besides filing them down to a size 9 is there perhaps any other suggestion that I could try please?

cheers
    Mike

Default Re: 300tdi AC guide pulley problem

The guide pully Has the center bolt remove it and it comes off then you can change the bearing, as for the 3 bolts that have stripped in casing get it time-cert and will be good again
    1995 300TDi Defender with VGT Turbo (stolen by my son now )
    2002 Defender with LS1 MS3 ECU, 4L80e, LT230 1.222, Lockers and HD CW&P, 35" with 4" Lift
    2005 Defender TD5

Quote Originally Posted by clivemd View Post
    The guide pully Has the center bolt remove it and it comes off then you can change the bearing, as for the 3 bolts that have stripped in casing get it time-cert and will be good again
    Hi Clive,
    Thanks for the reply.

I have removed the centre bolt, but it still seems stuck when trying to remove by hand. I have applied gentle leverage pressure but no luck.

Perhaps i should exert more pressure to remove with a gentle tap or 2 from a hammer ?

I also can't see what is still holding the guide pulley in. There is only the centre bolt. Something must be sticking a bit...

If the tensioner pulley bolts are rounded, it's probably also because they have seized into the cover. I would go the route of trying one last time with a good 6-point socket then file to a 9 as you suggest. Do be careful... many people round these bolt heads because of using those multi-point sockets, and using a 6-point socket helps. But if they are genuinely, tightly, solidly seized, the bolt heads could break off. Then you will probably have to remove the timing cover and operate on it.

Thank you,

Will give it a bash today, first the pulley then the surgery on the bolt heads 🤔

Cheers