Southern Namibia

Default Southern Namibia

Hi All,

I have been view threads on this forum for a while now and must say it is an incredible source of knowledge. Time for me now to get involved (even though I will probably asking more questions than be able to help out)

My first request for some advice is based on a trip we will be doing in the southern parts of Namibia in May 2009.
    I have most of the info I need and have been to the area before but some specific questions:
    1. How good/bad is the road/track that runs along the Gamchab river from Ai-Ais to Rosh Pinah? We are going alone (one vehicle - LR Discovery) and do not want to venture somewhere we might get stuck without assistance.
    2. From what I hear the wind is terrible at Shark Island in Luderitz. Do any of you know of some other, more protected camp sites in Luderitz? We are going with two youngsters that might not appreciate the wind.
    3. Apparently there is a camp site (primitave) on the Swakop river towards Welwitchia drive (Goanikontes?) but my Tracks4Africa map only show a picnic spot. Are these two places one and the same and do I need to obtain a stop over permit in Swakopmund?
    4. I really want to drive the Gamsberg pass after seeing it from a plane but this will require my planned route to be adjusted a little. Is it worthwhile doing this, and should I try to do this from east to west (apparently the best due to the vistas) or will it be just as good approaching from the west?

Thank you,
    Brink.

I can only answer one of your questions:

If you can do around trip on the Gamsberg and Spreethoogte passes, you would not be disappointed. Try to be on one of then late afternoon. Spectacular! Even the Remhoogte pass offer very good (currently green) scenery!

I wanted to do the Rosh pinah road, but the bridge south of the Canyon were washed away and I had to change my route. I phoned one of the Orange river campsites beforehand and the gave me the correct info. It might just help.

Bostoe

Bostoe,

Dankie vir die inligting. Ek wou oorspronklik Spreetshoogte en Gamsberg gedoen het maar ek sal 'n waentjie moet sleep, blykbaar is Spreetshoogte nie geskik vir waentjie sleep nie.

Brink.

Hi Brink

I can answer another two of your questions as I live in Southern Namibia -

1. The Gamkab is an easy drive and is a non issue (although very dramatic scenery) - you will not get stuck and the track is easy to follow. Also relatively short route through the canyon. You must just check, that the approach to the fish river bridge (close to the orange and on the ai-ais - rosh pinah route) has been repaired. I was there a month ago and it had been washed away, I am pretty sure it will have been repaired by now.

2. If I was you, rather sleep at Klein Aus Vista just outside Aus and drive through to Luderitz for the day, returning to your camp at Aus in the evening. This is about 1.5 hours drive. The wind at Luderitz blows 364/365 days a year - Shark island has an amazing location, but I would not like to camp there.

Enjoy!
    Kimball R. Pitcher

Head - 2007 Toyota Fortuner, OME, extra tank, roof rack, bent running boards
    Heart - SFA hilux dcab