Td5 Warped Exhaust Manifold

Default Td5 Warped Exhaust Manifold

Swambo's Td5 has suffered the warped exhaust manifold syndrome.
    It has done 210,000 problem free kms but lately developed a very distinct exhaust whistle.

Removed the exhaust manifold and found the manifold warped and a stud snapped and 2 more without their nuts.

Although I do most of the maintenance myself I do not have the knowhow or tools to attempt removing the broken stud.

We live in the Klein Karoo, sort of halfway between George and Cape Town. Could not find anyone in the area I'm willing to entrust with the Landy. Local engineering firms mostly deal with basic stuff and farm equipment.

Would appreciate if anyone can point me to a reputable Indy who could fix this dilemma.

Swambo is really getting on my case because her "baby" has been standing in the same spot for a couple of months now.

Thanks and regards

Ruan
    - Defender 90 Td5, Eurospeed Map & Intercooler, MadMan EMS1, Slickshift & lots of other improvements

Default Re: Td5 Warped Exhaust Manifold

Speak to Craig at Landyworld George. If he can't fix it, he will be able to recommend someone who can. They won't pull your pants down over the price either. On the web: landyworld.co.za

Just for the sake of the mense, can you post a few pics of the broken off stud?
    Mercedes W123 300D, runs on Mother Natures Goodness.
    Powered by the Sun, the Rain and the Earth.
    Have now covered 270 000Km on veg oil.
    Oh, and an Isuzu 280DT, 40 000Km on Bio Diesel
    Rand for Rand gets 33Km/L

You should also check if the thread on the other stud holes is still good and use Wurth studs (from a mercedese iirc) when you put it back together again...
    Last edited by NewLandy; 2020/07/09 at 07:15 PM.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to NewLandy For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by ZuluCowboy View Post
    Just for the sake of the mense, can you post a few pics of the broken off stud?
    Weather permitting(1 severe cold front passing and another one arriving Monday), I'll try do do so but might be a challenge. It's broken off inside the cylinder head.
    - Defender 90 Td5, Eurospeed Map & Intercooler, MadMan EMS1, Slickshift & lots of other improvements

Hi NewLandy, thanks for the advice.
    That's the reason why I need to get it to someone who knows what they're doing.
    Quote Originally Posted by NewLandy View Post
    You should also check if the thread on the other stud holes is still good and use Wurth studs (from a mercedese iirc) when you put it back together again...

I had this in 2015. Iím sure it was someone on here that pointed me in the right direction.

I took a cordless drill and used a smallish bit to slowly drill into the broken stud a little bit.
    then I got my hammer drill, fitted a bit 1mm larger, put the drill into reverse and hammer and gave it whirl sitting inside the hole I drilled previously. The stud shot out with no fuss!
    Jordan

<a href="http://www.fuelly.com/car/land_rover/discovery-2/2004/jordanza/311455" target="_blank">

9. The Following User Says Thank You to jordanza For This Useful Post:

if the stud brakes about 1-3mm into the head you can use stainless welding rod and tack tack tack till the tack welds come out the head then weld a bolt onto the tacks, then you can unscrew the studs out the heat also helps, as the head is ally the tack don't stick to the head, i did 3 studs, if the threads are stuffed in the head i would use Time-Certs as to me they are far better then helicoils.
    if you try drilling the studs out you have to make sure that you drill centre of stud, i know you can make a guide a sleeve just the right size to go into the stud hole and in the centre is a 2mm hole and you use a 2mm drill that way you line up centre of the stud

i have just de-webbed my spare manifold skimmed it and sending it for ceramic coating, will be using longer studs and stainless spacers between nut and manifold
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by clivemd; 2020/07/09 at 08:55 PM.
    1995 300TDi Defender with VGT Turbo (stolen by my son now )
    2002 Defender with LS1 MS3 ECU, 4L80e, LT230 1.222, Lockers and HD CW&P, 35" with 4" Lift
    2005 Defender TD5

11. The Following User Says Thank You to clivemd For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by clivemd View Post
    if the stud brakes about 1-3mm into the head you can use stainless welding rod and tack tack tack till the tack welds come out the head then weld a bolt onto the tacks, then you can unscrew the studs out the heat also helps, as the head is ally the tack don't stick to the head, i did 3 studs, if the threads are stuffed in the head i would use Time-Certs as to me they are far better then helicoils.
    if you try drilling the studs out you have to make sure that you drill centre of stud, i know you can make a guide a sleeve just the right size to go into the stud hole and in the centre is a 2mm hole and you use a 2mm drill that way you line up centre of the stud

i have just de-webbed my spare manifold skimmed it and sending it for ceramic coating, will be using longer studs and stainless spacers between nut and manifold
    That technique really works, one of my colleagues uses it to remove broken off studs from outboard motors.

Takes some time and you will probably do it more than once per bolt.
    But it works.
    '07 Land Rover Defender 110 TDI 300 Kalahari (Meisiekind≤)
    '84 Land Rover Defender 110 V8 4-speed Hardtop (Meisiekind) Sold after 12 years of fun and hard work.
    The only thing needed for evil to triumph is for a good man to do nothing.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to jfh For This Useful Post:

Thanks Jordanza and Clivemd,

As soon as the weather allowing I will have a good look and take it from there. Will get the manifold skimmed and webs removed too.

Clivemd, what's the benefits of the longer studs and spacers?

Quote Originally Posted by Koedoe_D90Td5 View Post
    Thanks Jordanza and Clivemd,

As soon as the weather allowing I will have a good look and take it from there. Will get the manifold skimmed and webs removed too.

Clivemd, what's the benefits of the longer studs and spacers?
    longer studs and the stainless spacers help with expansion of studs so more room to expand there for less chance of studs braking, i know some ppl use higher grade bolts and not studs but if the bolt brakes it is harder to get out if you have to drill it out
    1995 300TDi Defender with VGT Turbo (stolen by my son now )
    2002 Defender with LS1 MS3 ECU, 4L80e, LT230 1.222, Lockers and HD CW&P, 35" with 4" Lift
    2005 Defender TD5

16. The Following User Says Thank You to clivemd For This Useful Post:

I recently ordered a set of Wurth studs and nuts from British 4x4 in Pretoria. R 207 for the set. I paid for the courier.
    2004 Land Rover Discovery 2 Td5 ES

18. The Following User Says Thank You to Fontuin For This Useful Post:

Shouldn't the manifold ribs be trimmed?
    2012 Jeep Sahara Unlimited 3.6 V6
    Percivamus

Quote Originally Posted by jelo View Post
    Shouldn't the manifold ribs be trimmed?
    Hi Jelo, although I've seen some negative comments on trimming the ribs I think I will have it done.