2 week namibia trip - advice please

Default 2 week namibia trip - advice please

Name:  nam trip.PNG
Views: 291
Size:  303.7 KB

Hi All,

I would like to plan a trip to namibia over December time. (PLEASE NOTE: more of a road trip than an overland trip)

Please comment on my proposed itinery (i dont know the area at all so traveling time between town/places is not known to me)

I will be using my 2011 touareg (no low range, but have air suspension). I plan on adding a roof rack and getting 6x 18" wheels and AT tyres to replace the 19" that are on the car as well as some emergency fuel and water storage.

I will not be camping. I understand this limits where i can visit. (Staying in self catering and semi luxury lodges)

I have some overlanding experience through SA, Bots and mozam but not Namiba.

Plan is to nail down the route then I can plan specific lodges etc from there.

Unfortunately Due to wife's work limitations, we cant travel other times of the year or for a longer period so i will have to make do with 2 weeks

Proposed itinerary:

JHB - Upington 800km -
    Day 1: Upington (1 night Upington)

Upington - Kgalagadi 250km
    Day 2-4: Kgalagadi (3 nights)

Kgalagadi - Windhoek 600km (longest day)
    Day 5: Windhoek (1 night)

Windhoek - Etosha 400km
    Day 6-8: Etosha (3 nights)

Etosha - Damaraland 300 km
    Day 9-10: Damaraland (2 nights)

Damaraland - Swakopmund 400km
    Day 11: (1 night)

Swakopmund - Soussusvlei 400km
    Day 12: (1 night)

Soussusvlei - Luderitz 500km
    Day 13: (1 night)

Luderitz - Rosh Pinah area 300km
    Day 14: (1 night)

Rosh Pinah - Tankwa/cederberg area 750km
    Day 15: (1 night)

Tankwa/cederberg area - Knysna 450km
    Day 16

Please comment on the following:
    1. Itinery
    2. Any area/ place i should add or remove
    3. travel times between places (i understand the traveling will be slower going than SA general roads so i have tried to limit to 400km per day where i can
    4. Would my vehicle have any issues (4x4 capabilities) with the proposed route?
    5. i Have 100l fuel tank and i dont think i would need to carry extra fuel, all the routes ive chosen have diesel available (working on 15l/100km - v8 tdi) I will consider taking extra fuel for emergency
    6. If you have specific recommendations of places to stay in the above areas please let me know
    7. Anything further I should consider?

I could shorten the trip distances by cutting out etosha and giving the other places more time (would be 5 days extra to split or so)

Many thanks in advance
    Last edited by David1; 2020/07/09 at 04:27 PM.

Default Re: 2 week namibia trip - advice please

You are trying to see a helluva lot over a big area in a short space of time.
    Try cutting back and spending more than 1 day at each overnight spot.
    Sam
    ZS1SAM
    V5/ZS1SAM

3. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to SamM For This Useful Post:

Nope, too much. Way, way too much.

We did a 2 week trip through Namibia last December. We basically did

Upington 1 night
    Mariental 1 night
    Erindi 2 nights
    Swakop 3 nights
    Windhoek 1 night
    Bagatelle 1 night
    Namibrand FH 1 night
    Klein Aus 2 nights
    Canyon Roadhouse 2 nights
    Then home with stop over in Kuruman.

Halfway through we were so fed up with driving that we just aimed for the destination of the day, pitched camp and flopped into a chair.

If I were you, I will cut the entire part north of Windhoek. From Windhoek go to Swakop for a few days and then work your way south. But keep in mind that the road between Swakop and Sossusvlei is bad, very bad.
    Last edited by lekhubu943; 2020/07/09 at 04:16 PM.
    2018 Toyota Fortuner 2.8 GD-6 4x4 AT
    BushLapa 78 Now a Boskruier but with the same Zambia and CKGR bush stripes

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to lekhubu943 For This Useful Post:

Windhoek - Arrebusch accommodation. From camping to chalets to luxury. Cheaper in that time because everyone is at the coast. Best breakfast buffet anywhere.
    Etosha- Mokuti lodge right outside Namutoni gate. Usually cheaper that time of the year too. Do not stay in Etosha Park. It's expensive and you will pay a lot more for very little. Mokuti works out the same as camping in Etosha.
    Damaraland - Elephant lodge in the Erindi reserve. Also cheaper that time of year.
    Swakopmund - Expensive that time of year as the entire country is at the coast because it's cooler than inland. Try Aramachi guesthouse but book now.
    Luderitz - Obelix guest house will be the best you can do there for a decent price.

No 4x4 overlanding is needed to get to these places although some are on dirt roads. Don't forget to spend a day in Tsumeb. Makalani Hotel is decent and offers a good restaurant. Visit the Tsumeb museum to see the German cannons recovered from lake Otjikoto, which you can visit on the way to Etosha.
    2001 Isuzu Frontier 4X4 DT280 LX 2.8 Turbo Diesel (Tourer)
    2011 JMC 4X4 Double Cab 2.8 Turbo Diesel (Work Bakkie)
    1973 Land Rover Series 2A 109" Ford V6 Kanniedood, Salisbury diff, galvanised chassis etc. (Hobby and Work vehicle)

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Olyfboer For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by David1 View Post

Proposed itinerary:

Windhoek - Etosha 400km
    Day 6-8: Etosha (3 nights)

Etosha - Damaraland 300 km
    Day 9-10: Damaraland (2 nights)

Damaraland - Swakopmund 400km
    Day 11: (1 night)

Swakopmund - Soussusvlei 400km
    Day 12: (1 night)

Soussusvlei - Luderitz 500km
    Day 13: (1 night)

Luderitz - Rosh Pinah area 300km
    Day 14: (1 night)

Rosh Pinah - Tankwa/cederberg area 750km
    Day 15: (1 night)

Tankwa/cederberg area - Knysna 450km
    Day 16
    Agree with what has been written, two much in too little time. Maybe consider doing either the north or the south. Leave the rest for next time.

For example you will not be able to do sossusvlei with the distances etc you are driving if only staying there for one night. Does not make sense. All you need is a flat tyre and your whole itinerary is done for.

I hope our borders will be ready by then.

for swakop self-catering have a look at www.bushbabies-inn.com or search for the FB page. (stil busy updating the website though).

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to AboutAfrica For This Useful Post:

11. The Following User Says Thank You to AboutAfrica For This Useful Post:

We did a similar trip last Dec and also did not know Nam. We used ultimateroutes.co.za for planning and booking.
    It would have been a disaster without their help. Give them a go. Good rates.

Hilux 3.0 D4D "Goldilocks" - Rigged for overlanding
    ORRA Callsign: X130
    Passionate about alternative energy

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Subok For This Useful Post:

Would rather suggest something like below. When you come again you can do etosha and caprivi or etosha and damaraland.

windhoek - erindi (2 nights)
    Erindi - Swakop (2nights)
    Swakop - Rostock ritz (1 night)
    Rostock Ritz - Sossusvlei (2 nights)
    Sossusvlei - Luderitz (2 nights)
    Luderitz - Rosh Pina (1 night)

If you end up making your days too long you see a lot less than what you do when taking it easy. Being on the road the whole day does not leave much time for enjoyment.

You should be able to book the above easy enough by yourself, but if you need a hand drop me a mail. As mentioned it is usually good having some local back-up.
    About Africa Adventures, Tours & Travel
    web: www.aboutafrica.co
    mail: [email protected]
    FB: https://www.facebook.com/aboutafricaco/
    Guesthouse: https://www.facebook.com/bushbabiesinn/
    Tel: +264 eight one 143 43 four three
    NTB Registered, Namibia

15. The Following User Says Thank You to AAANAM For This Useful Post:

Way too much driving. A lot of good suggestions. Let me add one.
    Stay at klein aus Vista for two nights. Drive to luderitz and back in one day.
    There are some great accommodation options in the Gondwana lodges (of which klein aus Vista is one). If you get a Gondwana card up front, you get big discounts.
    We have just stayed at anib lodge outside mariental. Another good option.
    Kimball R. Pitcher

Head - 2007 Toyota Fortuner, OME, extra tank, roof rack, bent running boards
    Heart - SFA hilux dcab

17. The Following User Says Thank You to KimballR For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by KimballR View Post
    Stay at klein aus Vista for two nights. Drive to luderitz and back in one day.
    +1

We camped at anib lodge from Saturday to Tuesday (3 nights). Got the 'young at heart' special, stay for 3 nights, pay for 2. Our total cost was 475. Very good value!
    Own private ablution, covered and you feel you are alone in the bush. Almost walked into a porcupine when I did a midnight walk!
    Last edited by KimballR; 2020/07/09 at 05:56 PM.
    Kimball R. Pitcher

Head - 2007 Toyota Fortuner, OME, extra tank, roof rack, bent running boards
    Heart - SFA hilux dcab

Quote Originally Posted by AAANAM View Post
    Would rather suggest something like below. When you come again you can do etosha and caprivi or etosha and damaraland.

windhoek - erindi (2 nights)
    Erindi - Swakop (2nights)
    Swakop - Rostock ritz (1 night)
    Rostock Ritz - Sossusvlei (2 nights)
    Sossusvlei - Luderitz (2 nights)
    Luderitz - Rosh Pina (1 night)

If you end up making your days too long you see a lot less than what you do when taking it easy. Being on the road the whole day does not leave much time for enjoyment.

You should be able to book the above easy enough by yourself, but if you need a hand drop me a mail. As mentioned it is usually good having some local back-up.
    I like this plan of AAANAM. With your initial plan you will be fedup with driving, even in a V8 Touareg! Too much driving, different lodges, checking in, unpacking, packing, checking out, etc. Unless you travel in a self sustained camper, you are going to get gatvol.

I would suggest you come back for the north for a follow-up trip. Preferably in winter if you can, weather is then normally quite pleasant there.

My 2cW

Isuzu 300dTeq 4x4 DC
    BMW F650 GS Dakar

Wir könnten nur sagen wir lieben Südwest!

For a two week trip I would pick no more than 3 areas to visit, and spend 3-5 days in each.

Perhaps Sossusvlei and the surrounding area, taking C27 and going as far south as D707 then back on C14, Damaraland, as far as Palmwag, then to Etosha. If you go to Lüderitz you'll be putting a lot of time in on the highway - they're good and you can cover ground at a reasonable average speed, but it's not how I would want to spend my time.

re "I plan on adding a roof rack and getting 6x 18" wheels and AT tyres to replace the 19" that are on the car as well as some emergency fuel and water storage."

I'm not familiar with the possibilities on the Touareg, however if you're going to change rims I would go for 17 in and not 18 in, and then the biggest tyre which matches the original overall diameter with the 19 in rims.

Hi David

I've posted 2/3s of a Trip Report of a journey we undertook to Namibia in October 2019. We covered a lot of the areas that you intend upon travelling. We lived in our Bush Lapa but roads etc will be the same. Please take a look through my report, I hope to be complete within the next two days. Please feel free to take a look at what we have done so far at https://www.4x4community.co.za/forum...t-October-2019 There may we be some information you can pick up there.

Cheers
    John (aka Tedx2)
    Last edited by Tedx2; 2020/07/14 at 01:08 PM.
    John 2014 Toyota Hilux 4x4 3.0 D4D
    Baobab BL1715 "Kamba"
    "I never knew of a morning in Africa when I woke up and was not happy" - Ernest Hemingway

Kgalagadi 2019 Namibia 2019 Gonarezhou 2019 Mana/Tafika 2018 Kgalagadi 2017 Lion, Hippo, Eland Leguaan, Python