An alarming question! - Page 2

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Default Re: An alarming question!

Quote Originally Posted by bigboy529 View Post
    Herman Engel, commercial member here on the forum, if I remember correctly he does alarms.
    He still does. Give him a call

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Greenhorn For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by FWM View Post
    Hoekom is die Roboguard soveel duurder as die wat mens op google kry?

https://www.google.com/search?q=4+ca...w=1366&bih=657
    You are confusing yourself, RoboGuard is a sensor system while you are Googleling CCTV systems, supplementary but unrelated.

In the burbs I have electric fencing and 22 CCTV cameras. Noises (I have good hearing) and dogs and electric fence are the early warning, which makes me check the CCTV. I know about each time the guys went past my house in the veld at the back at night, because the dogs barked and I then checked the CCTV. One day when I have some cash spare I want to put up yard sensors.

Wrt the CCTV question, the two front runners are Hikvision and Dahua.
    Current - 2009 Mazda BT50 3.0CRDi 4x4 d/c
    Previous - 2005 Ranger 2.5 tdi 4x2 d/c (277 422km)

Quote Originally Posted by Markb View Post
    Hi all, I'm sure this has been dealt with before, but humor me!
    I want to put in beams around my house, and possibly do away with the antiquated alarm system, which is just not up to its task, and leaves us fairly vulnerable in certain areas.
    I have heard that RoboGuard? are the beans? What I am looking for is someone who can coe round and give me an HONEST appraisal and suggestions as to which route to go, and not like our alarm supplier who wants lots of ronds to put in a couple of beams and "update" my alarm!
    Any recommendations?
    Last thing you want is Beams ..Our Neighbour has them and Nocturnal wandering cats and bats set them off all the time at night. They are 2 students and are at varsity during the day and along come the garden service service ..off goes the alarm ..The students at varsity blissfullyy unaware ..We and the neighbours have persuaded the Mom living in Bloem to go back to a normal ,Civilised to the neighbours Alarm system as it was before the Beams arrived connected to Atlas Security as we all have ..nothing beats armed response ..We havent had crime at our house in the 15 years we have lived in PE .. The Atlas Security Sign on the wall says it all and the criminals tend to know that they will be caught by the Atlas guys
    Last edited by Peter Betts; 2020/07/09 at 07:41 PM.

Beams are the new target for thieves.
    2012 Jeep Sahara Unlimited 3.6 V6
    Percivamus

@supersunbird: 22 x CCTV cameras? Seriously?
    Percivamus

8. The Following User Says Thank You to jelo For This Useful Post:

The best first line defense is to limit the number of people who come to the premises. Garden service, Dr. Pool, Dr. Lawn, Maid on call, Alarm technicians, family or friends on drugs... Non risk cars, no flashing out... After that outside sensors, couple cameras AND Stay function on as much as possible. Live happy there after.
    Jouko
    ----------
    2003 Grand Cherokee 4.7l
    2012 Smart
    Never drive a normal car 8)

Quote Originally Posted by supersunbird View Post
    You are confusing yourself, RoboGuard is a sensor system while you are Googleling CCTV systems, supplementary but unrelated.

In the burbs I have electric fencing and 22 CCTV cameras. Noises (I have good hearing) and dogs and electric fence are the early warning, which makes me check the CCTV. I know about each time the guys went past my house in the veld at the back at night, because the dogs barked and I then checked the CCTV. One day when I have some cash spare I want to put up yard sensors.
    Sorry I thought Roboguard does cctv as well.
    Willie

2000 Land Rover Discovery II TD5
    2020 Nissan NP300 2.5TDi S/C

Quote Originally Posted by Jouko View Post
    The best first line defense is to limit the number of people who come to the premises. Garden service, Dr. Pool, Dr. Lawn, Maid on call, Alarm technicians, family or friends on drugs... Non risk cars, no flashing out... After that outside sensors, couple cameras AND Stay function on as much as possible. Live happy there after.
    No plumbers, electricians, builders, and so on?
    Percivamus

Our house was robbed 2 weeks ago.
    Have lived here without a hassle for nearly 6 years.
    The day that the neighbour's garden service started it happened.

22 grand to fix the existing alarm in the house.It has never worked from the day we moved in. Apparently some box is missing, wires in the roof are cut, and none of the outside beams work.

I have dug a hole across the pathway, 2 feet deep, with a plank with sharpened 6 inch nails at the bottom of the hole.
    The hole is covered with a piece of hessian and camouflaged with dirt and grass.

Waiting patiently for the #@^%&* to come back....
    I met some crazy people.... They made me their leader.

2014 Mazda BT-50 - Recently bought. March 2018
    2013 Nissan NP300 - Daily workhorse
    1993 Ford Courier 2.2... Odometer stopped working just over 530'000 km's. Sold 2013
    69' Series 2 Landi - Old, slow, thirsty. Go anywhere. Stolen in 2010

13. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to AlexP For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Krummelpap View Post
    Kameras kos ook sowat R10 000 vir die basiese stelsel. Ek het HIK kameras opgesit met n PTZ wat so R5500 gekos het. Elke TV in die huis is op die kameras gekoppel as jy die AV knoppie druk. Ons het ook n skerm in die kombuis opgesit sodat ons altyd oe en ore rondom die werf het. n App op die selfone stel jou in staat om alles dop te hou en jy kan die ptz kamera draai en zoom soos jy wil vanaf jou selfoon.
    Jy is reg almal weet presies waar beweging is . Diere leer baie vinnig watter beep waar is.

Here is the answer. If connected to your cell phone
    Last edited by Robbief; 2020/07/09 at 08:19 PM.
    Robbie
    Fortuner D4D
    Hilux 2.7 4x4 Raider.

Kom kuier vir my en sien hoe roboguards, alarm en kameras mekaar komplimenteer en ondersteun.

Ek verkoop nie.
    Isuzu 300 d-tec
    MB Gwagen G350 Bluetec
    Nissan NP300 2.4 4x4
    BMW R1200GS & GSA

16. The Following User Says Thank You to JohanMaree For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by jelo View Post
    @supersunbird: 22 x CCTV cameras? Seriously?
    Yes, because I have to cover the front (DVR 8 cams - 100% coverage) and the back (DVR 14 cams - 90% coverage) properly and the house has a lot of corners. If I can follow the cats movements I sure as hell will know that someone is in my yard. I don't want to have to walk around the house looking out of windows, I can sit right in front of my computer and see why and where the dogs are barking or such. Cost was about R15 000 everything, HD analogue systems.

Below are examples of the normal view of 8 of the cameras in day and night (I can turn the lights off, picture won't change much, there are only 2 x 9W LED lights on in the night pictures) much then I can double click on any of them to view more details in full screen.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	day.png 
Views:	91 
Size:	1.80 MB 
ID:	579061

Name:	night.png 
Views:	76 
Size:	598.1 KB 
ID:	579062

Beams are the new target for thieves.
    I have heard of that and read an article about it, and a local guys security LED floodlights were stolen from where they overhang his fence at the back, from 3 meters up. All I can say is what I tell the people whose gate motors get stolen, if they could steal your gate motor (which doesn't take mere seconds), it means your yard is not really secure, next time they might rob you in your house.

No plumbers, electricians, builders, and so on?
    High risk at least for 2 weeks after they leave.

As far as I know every one of the small break ins we have had between myself and SWAMBO are included in the list above and yours. Add moving companies.

SWAMBO has been on the wrong side of a gun more than one time. Inside jobs. Last one was office "maid on call" plus a spotter.

Limit the people who get in, limit what they see and after they leave min 2 weeks high risk. Talk to staff not to speak about anything except "poor people". Cars like Polo are stolen to order.

On our area we have WhatApp. Big problems: no outside warning system, electric fences out of order, alarms not on and inside jobs. I cannot remember a case where it was reported "Outside beams activated - robbers run". We walk around. People have paid a lot for electric fences. I can see very many out of order. IF YOU SPEND THE MONEY ON FENCES ETC THEN USE THEM AND MAINTAIN THEM.
    Jouko
    ----------
    2003 Grand Cherokee 4.7l
    2012 Smart

You are not allowed to put such trap. You may put some support for ground cover

Most probably inside job. They saw what you have. They get paid for cleaning that garden and extra for telling what you have. Alternatively your own staff. Those to cover something like 80% of the problem.

And never trust the alarm people either. I have my reasons to say so - inside info

Quote Originally Posted by AlexP View Post
    Our house was robbed 2 weeks ago.
    Have lived here without a hassle for nearly 6 years.
    The day that the neighbour's garden service started it happened.

22 grand to fix the existing alarm in the house.It has never worked from the day we moved in. Apparently some box is missing, wires in the roof are cut, and none of the outside beams work.

I have dug a hole across the pathway, 2 feet deep, with a plank with sharpened 6 inch nails at the bottom of the hole.
    The hole is covered with a piece of hessian and camouflaged with dirt and grass.

Waiting patiently for the #@^%&* to come back....
    Jouko
    ----------
    2003 Grand Cherokee 4.7l
    2012 Smart

Quote Originally Posted by Jouko View Post
    High risk at least for 2 weeks after they leave.

As far as I know every one of the small break ins we have had between myself and SWAMBO are included in the list above and yours. Add moving companies.

SWAMBO has been on the wrong side of a gun more than one time. Inside jobs. Last one was office "maid on call" plus a spotter.

Limit the people who get in, limit what they see and after they leave min 2 weeks high risk. Talk to staff not to speak about anything except "poor people". Cars like Polo are stolen to order.

On our area we have WhatApp. Big problems: no outside warning system, electric fences out of order, alarms not on and inside jobs. I cannot remember a case where it was reported "Outside beams activated - robbers run". We walk around. People have paid a lot for electric fences. I can see very many out of order. IF YOU SPEND THE MONEY ON FENCES ETC THEN USE THEM AND MAINTAIN THEM.
    Agree, limit what working people see of your house. The less they see, the better. Hell, I even carry the one kennel and blanket and put it at the car port in front when workers come, so they think one or more of the dogs now locked away at the back sleep at the front.

Luckily I have trained my Whatsapp people well and now and then get reports of such failed attempts where yard beams have been set off, or of suspicions cars (once chased what we are pretty sure are gate motors thieves at 4am in the morning, skedonk Yaris, slow speed chase lol), resident saw them on CCTV bending down outside his gate.

Quote Originally Posted by supersunbird View Post
    Yes, because I have to cover the front (DVR 8 cams - 100% coverage) and the back (DVR 14 cams - 90% coverage) properly and the house has a lot of corners. If I can follow the cats movements I sure as hell will know that someone is in my yard. I don't want to have to walk around the house looking out of windows, I can sit right in front of my computer and see why and where the dogs are barking or such. Cost was about R15 000 everything, HD analogue systems.

Below are examples of the normal view of 8 of the cameras in day and night (I can turn the lights off, picture won't change much, there are only 2 x 9W LED lights on in the night pictures) much then I can double click on any of them to view more details in full screen.

Name:	day.png 
Views:	91 
Size:	1.80 MB 
ID:	579061

Name:	night.png 
Views:	76 
Size:	598.1 KB 
ID:	579062
    Good Lord I'd hate to be that paranoid.
    Percivamus

Good Lord I'd hate to be that paranoid.
    Then anyone with yard beams is also paranoid, hell locking your doors while you are at home is then paranoid too. If knowing what is happening in my yard without me having to leave the comfort and safety of my house is being paranoid, then so be it.

I bet the dad of the family that was robbed at gunpoint in Waterkloof Rif afternoon wishes he had been more paranoid, and most other men after such situations. As they say, spyt kom te laat.
    Last edited by supersunbird; 2020/07/10 at 09:37 AM. Reason: jelo

If you're going to revert to Afrikaans you should at least get the spelling right.
    SPYT
    Percivamus

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast