Backup power for sleep apnea and oxygen xonverter

Default Backup power for sleep apnea and oxygen xonverter

Hi guys
    I have chatted before about back up electricity supply during power interruptions.

Mandy and I are on Sleep apnea machines and she is also on supplemental oxygen. We cope well while there is electricity but lately that is becoming a bigger and bigger problem.

I keep on talking about getting an inverter but never do.

So now I need to do it urgently. The last few nights during power interruption we would drive around in the car the whole night to keep the oxygen converter charged on the cigarette lighter. Not fun!

So now I have to buy an inverter

I want one that can run at least the three medical devices.

I want a fairly neat solution not loose car battery standing next to the bed.

I am attaching the info from two of the devices.

What should I budget to run these comfortably for 6 hours.

Does someone on here supply this.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20200708_161820.jpg 
Views:	55 
Size:	191.0 KB 
ID:	578855   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20200708_161756.jpg 
Views:	54 
Size:	233.7 KB 
ID:	578856   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20200708_161708.jpg 
Views:	51 
Size:	151.6 KB 
ID:	578857  
    Dashfibre: , Get Connected! If your complex wants fibre please contact us.

Default Re: Backup power for sleep apnea and oxygen xonverter

1) We use a Flexopower Lithium444 to drive a CPAP when camping where there is no electricity, and it lasts the whole night with water heater and breathing pipe heater. This is through the CPAP's 12v adapter, and not converted to 220v.
    But not sure if it will carry your 3 devices in total for the night, and of course it is a battery next to the bed, albeit neat.
    Pricey, and there have been some negative comments on this forum.
    https://flexopower.co.za/collections...-by-flexopower

2) We have recently upgraded NB5000W inverter that was wired into our DB board to the wall plugs in all our bedrooms. Maybe overkill for what you want, bulky, and definitely not portable (comes with 8 batteries). I'm going to sell it at some point, but you are welcome to PM me if you want to discuss.
    Make it happen!

2018 Mobi Lodge

Quote Originally Posted by Toccata (Roelof) View Post
    1) We use a Flexopower Lithium444 to drive a CPAP when camping where there is no electricity, and it lasts the whole night with water heater and breathing pipe heater. This is through the CPAP's 12v adapter, and not converted to 220v.
    But not sure if it will carry your 3 devices in total for the night, and of course it is a battery next to the bed, albeit neat.
    Pricey, and there have been some negative comments on this forum.
    https://flexopower.co.za/collections...-by-flexopower

2) We have recently upgraded NB5000W inverter that was wired into our DB board to the wall plugs in all our bedrooms. Maybe overkill for what you want, bulky, and definitely not portable (comes with 8 batteries). I'm going to sell it at some point, but you are welcome to PM me if you want to discuss.
    I'll would really like to chat and will pm now but will first answer here for clarity.

I assume I can just buy small cupboard for inverter and battery.

I live in a rented house so to do too much changes to wiring is not worth it.

Will investigate the lithuom power pack

Thank you.

The flexo power does look exactly like what I need.

If anybody has any other suggestions I am interested.

We use a Goal Zero lithium 1,400, which includes a 1,500 watt continuous/ 3,000 watt peak pure sinewave inverter.

Ive read that it can be very bad running medical equipment on modified sinewave inverters.

with 2 CPAP machines running with hose heat and humidifier we can get about 15 hours runtime. That’s a 1,400w battery.

they draw about 4.5 amps - 5.0 amps each at 13v, via the inverter.

this unit includes a solar (pwm) regulator and can be upgraded to an MPPT.

Front Runner sell them. Expensive. But very good quality.
    Last edited by heyyahhey; 2020/07/08 at 06:08 PM.

Also just saw this other Flexopower unit:

https://flexopower.co.za/collections...power-pack-ups

Don't know it at all though.
    Make it happen!

2018 Mobi Lodge

Based on the pictures the 1st unit shows 1.55A at 220V and in use could be lower. The 2nd unit that shows 110/220V and 2A I would guess it is 1A if run on 220V. Last unit I don't see the power used. Thus it is 440W and running for 6 hours 2640Wh for 6 hours. These 2 will need quite a few batteries. 5 x 100Ah @ 12V if going the lead acid route. I would think any pure sine inverter of 1000W will do it. Even the cheap China ones will work fine.

Metalian Maxi

Do you have medical aid,would they be able to help to pay for something like this or at least pay for machine upgrades which can run directly off 12V?

My dad runs his CPAP at home off a 102 Ah Royal battery, the machine have a 12/24V power supply, this makes things very straight forward. There is no solar on the battery, it's just connected to a AC battery charger, but it would be just as easy to put a solar panel on it.

When camping he can run it directly off the battery or off the 1000W pure sine wave inverter.
    When he got his machine a year or so back he told them it will have to be one with 12V for load shedding and also camping.
    It's in pubs where the world's greatest ideas begin.

Quote Originally Posted by bigboy529 View Post
    Do you have medical aid,would they be able to help to pay for something like this or at least pay for machine upgrades which can run directly off 12V?

My dad runs his CPAP at home off a 102 Ah Royal battery, the machine have a 12/24V power supply, this makes things very straight forward. There is no solar on the battery, it's just connected to a AC battery charger, but it would be just as easy to put a solar panel on it.

When camping he can run it directly off the battery or off the 1000W pure sine wave inverter.
    When he got his machine a year or so back he told them it will have to be one with 12V for load shedding and also camping.

I also found an after-market 12V power supply for our units (Resmed Airsense10) on Amazon.com. Was $32 vice well over $100 for the Resmed one. It is much smaller, literally a third the size, and comes with a cigarette -style plug, which I removed and replaced with Hella.

Have been running the machines on these directly from the Goal Zero Yeti 1400 mentioned above for two weeks now, as I want to give them a good testing before they become our "camping" power supplies. They are small and light, so I would think shipping would not be horrible.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
    Last edited by heyyahhey; 2020/07/08 at 09:21 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by heyyahhey View Post
    I also found an after-market 12V power supply for our units (Resmed Airsense10) on Amazon.com. Was $32 vice well over $100 for the Resmed one. It is much smaller, literally a third the size, and comes with a cigarette -style plug, which I removed and replaced with Hella.

Have been running the machines on these directly from the Goal Zero Yeti 1400 mentioned above for two weeks now, as I want to give them a good testing before they become our "camping" power supplies. They are small and light, so I would think shipping would not be horrible.

If interested I can PM you the link...

My dad's machine actually runs off 24V DC. Its AC power supply looks exactly like a typical laptop charger with 220V AC going in to a brick and 24V DC coming out the other side and going in to the machine.
    The 12V DC power supply looks almost the same except that you plug it in to 12V and 24V comes out on the other side, it came with weird battery clips but I long since fitted it with a Anderson connector for him.

Hannes,

I know it may not get a general nod of approval from all, but have you considered a small generator? It will certainly be cost effective for occasional use and requires a low initial capital outlay. I am not sure how pure the sine wave is and how suitable this will be for your application.

My Mom used such a solution to power an oxygen generator for my late Dad during power outages with good effect.

Regards

Quote Originally Posted by bigboy529 View Post
    My dad's machine actually runs off 24V DC. Its AC power supply looks exactly like a typical laptop charger with 220V AC going in to a brick and 24V DC coming out the other side and going in to the machine.
    The 12V DC power supply looks almost the same except that you plug it in to 12V and 24V comes out on the other side, it came with weird battery clips but I long since fitted it with a Anderson connector for him.

these do the same. 12v in, 24v out.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Mcd View Post
    Hannes,

I know it may not get a general nod of approval from all, but have you considered a small generator? It will certainly be cost effective for occasional use and requires a low initial capital outlay. I am not sure how pure the sine wave is and how suitable this will be for your application.

My Mom used such a solution to power an oxygen generator for my late Dad during power outages with good effect.

Regards

A good quality, silent since they want to sleep, pure sine wave inverter generator which is properly regulated won't be cheap at all. The Honda EU range for example which I know for a fact is super silent and also super light on petrol costs over R20k for the 1800 VA model. For that money you can buy a very nice inverter and battery setup, plus even add solar.

Hi thank you all for the help.

I just bought Flexopower Lithium444 as it was within my budget and very simple to use.
    I will keep you updated if it does the required job.

If I need two of these it is still cheaper than one big one.

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mal Hannes For This Useful Post: