Matroosberg snow during lockdown

Default Matroosberg snow during lockdown

With a fair bit of snow predicted for Ceres area this weekend, what is the implications / restrictions for travel from Cape Town with the fam...

I've heard that some people got sent back by law inforcement during the snow a few weekends ago...

Default Re: Matroosberg snow during lockdown

Well, with the new regulations allowing leisure activities, as long as you stay within the border, you should be fine?
    Last edited by lizardalpha; 2020/07/08 at 12:31 PM.
    2011 Freelander 2 SE
    Swambo : 2012 BMW 530d Msport("the beast")

Smile Re: Matroosberg snow during lockdown

Take a Taxi! They can load fully and go wherever they want!
    09 Kyron, the Korean Snail.
    NO Meeow!
    Blanked EGR.
    Thermo Electric Cooling fan.

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Markb For This Useful Post:

My understanding is that under the revised level 3 regulations you can travel within the province for leisure.
    Under the original level 3 regulations it was illegal to cross metro, district or hotspot boundaries, which you would have done at least 3 times travelling from Cape Town. (You would have travelled in 3 different hotspots, and crossed 1 metro/district boundary). The officials used this to turn all CA etc. vehicles back during the previous snow.

From the gazette(s)
    Travelling is allowed for various purposes, e.g.
    33.(1) (h) travel for leisure purposes as allowed under Alert Level 3.
    However, sub-paragraph 4 limits when inter-provincial travel is allowed, and leisure is excluded from this list
    33.(4) Movement of persons between provinces is prohibited, except for-

The confusion arrives from the original level 3 regulations (28 May Gazette), which states that:

(4) Movement of persons between provinces, metropolitan areas and districts and hotspots is prohibited, except foró

Therefore:
    - you can travel for leisure
    - Under the original level 3 regulations you were not allowed to cross province, district, metro, or hotspot boundaries, except for:
    work, funeral, caring for sick, education, medical, moving, returning from quarantine
    - Under the revised level 3 regulations you are not allowed to cross provincial boundaries for work, funeral etc.

Well...we went there during the last snow fall and there was hundreds of people about enjoying the snow on the side of the road.

So I don't really see it being an issue.

If you want to drive up, remember that you need to be there early bells.
    2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee 3.0 CRD Overland - GDE Eco Tune + 2" Lift on 265/70/17 BFG KO2's
    2017 Venter Savuti + Tentco Jnr, Dometic CF50 Fridge + Snomaster Battery Box
    --
    Ex - 2005 Cherokee CRD

So (sort-of) on this topic...

I'm thinking of taking the family and doing the Matroosberg 4x4 route on Saturday. Never done it before.

I have a Hilux 2.8 DC AT 4x4 but my tyres are the stock brand. Will this be an issue? I haven't started my upgrades (tyres are first on the list) so I'm concerned about grip. I'm comfortable driving off-road but I've never done snow based driving.

Anyone here done the route in the snow and would the above suffice?

Tx

8. The Following User Says Thank You to mysticBoer For This Useful Post:

Hi Mystic

We will also be going to the trail on Saturday. Pajero Gen4 and a 90 TD5 landy so there will be other people around. Depending on how icy the snow gets, it can get slippery, but just go as far as you feel comfortable and then come back down. If it really snows we won't be able to go up that far anyway

Will say hi if I see you guys

See my post on the other Matroosberg thread - only light snow predicted for the weekend, heavy snow starts Monday afternoon. Have a look at windy.com's rain and snow forecast, their forecasts are dead accurate.
    Tony Weaver

1991 Land Rover 110 Hi-Line S/W 3.5l V8 carburettor
    Cooper Discoverer STT tyres, four sleeper Echo rooftop tent
    2012 Mitsubishi Outlander.

Previously Land Rover 1968 SII, 1969 SIIA, 1973 SIII, 1983 Toyota HiLux 2litre, 2006 Land Rover Freelander TD4 HSE.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Tony Weaver For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by mysticBoer View Post

I'm thinking of taking the family and doing the Matroosberg 4x4 route on Saturday. Never done it before.

I have a Hilux 2.8 DC AT 4x4 but my tyres are the stock brand. Will this be an issue? I haven't started my upgrades (tyres are first on the list) so I'm concerned about grip. I'm comfortable driving off-road but I've never done snow based driving.

Tx
    I am in the same boat as you mysticBoer, OEM Conti tires on the Frodtjie and dearly want to go play in the snow this weekend. Same as you, I am concerned about the grip and safety for others, me and the bakkie
    2016 Ford Ranger XL DC 4x4 - Die kar agter die donkie
    2009 Mitsubishi Triton DC 4x2 - Sold
    2005 Mitsubishi Colt 2.4 DC 4x2 - Sold

Quote Originally Posted by mysticBoer View Post

Tx
    Quote Originally Posted by Jacques_Nel View Post
    I am in the same boat as you mysticBoer, OEM Conti tires on the Frodtjie and dearly want to go play in the snow this weekend. Same as you, I am concerned about the grip and safety for others, me and the bakkie
    I have done it a few times with muds and would not advise you to go with H/T tires. Snow is unpredictable and can be fine in one section but outright dangerous in another. Turning around is easier said than done. One way traffic up and only up to 13:00 I think, then you can only come down. Use it....don't use it.
    That Mighty Amarok
    ---------------------------------------
    Swart Tires wat ek self gekoop het
    Pull over wat my ouma gebrei het
    Vensters waar deur ek kan sien
    Engine voor
    Exhaust agter

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Snyks For This Useful Post:

Any recommendations for good spots to visit?