Brad Harrison plug on Pik Up

Default Brad Harrison plug on Pik Up

Good evening, I want to get a Brad Harrison plug fitted to my Pik Up for charging a battery when towing. Any recommendations on who can do it in the Alberton area? And will installing this have any negative impact on the warranty of the vehicle?
    2020 Mahindra Pikup S10 2.2 mHawk 4x4 DC Karoo

2016 Jurgens XT120 w/ HM TTT

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCGn...m4fRo7Igigulg/

Default Re: Brad Harrison plug on Pik Up

Not speaking for Mahindra, but myself I see no reason why this would have any effect on the warranty, this is just one of the normal things people may add to a vehicle, such as trailer connections etc, and done right will havbe no detrimental effect on the vehicle.

Brad Harrison plug is relatively simple to install, and if you don't want to do it yourself, any auto electrician can do it, probably at fairly modest cost.

There is also a page on this forum about it, here -

https://www.4x4community.co.za/forum/showthread.php/58932-Please-explain-how-this-plug-works
    Last edited by hbannink; 2020/06/11 at 11:29 PM.

Hmm.. for some reason that link is not clickable, I suggest copy and pasting it into your browser.

Quote Originally Posted by Kiwi 4x4 View Post
    Hmm.. for some reason that link is not clickable, I suggest copy and pasting it into your browser.
    Sorted for you

Find out from your dealers, I know a lot of modern vehicles have fancy alternators that can be damaged.
    If you are planning to charge a trailer battery you must accept that without a dc -dc charger in the trailer you will never get more than 80% charge and that is with welding cables.

Get the thickest cable you can afford and remember to fit a fuse on Both sides, one right by your battery and one just before the second battery. I would run it in normal sprague tubing for extra protection
    Henk
    Adventure is out there go find it

Fitment and trailer service. Agent for SnoMaster & Tentco
    Follow us on Facebook

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to hbannink For This Useful Post:

So I got the plug installed yesterday. Was done by Ironman4x4 in Alberton, as per Mahindra's recommendation.They used 16mm cable.The cables was installed directly onto the battery.I'm looking to get a WRND 20a DC-DC/MPPT charger to charge a 2nd battery from the plug in the load bin.From my understanding, the WRND charger will stop charging if the car battery goes below a certain voltage, which I assume would most often happen when the engine is turned off. Am I understanding this correctly?
    2020 Mahindra Pikup S10 2.2 mHawk 4x4 DC Karoo

2016 Jurgens XT120 w/ HM TTT

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCGn...m4fRo7Igigulg/

Best memory serves, it only charges the auxiliary battery when voltage from then main battery is over 12.8 volts. Which mostly only happens when the vehicle is running and charge is being received from the alternator. If the vehicle is turned off, voltage at the vehicle battery will drop to below 12.8 volts and at that point the charger will stop drawing current from the vehicle battery.

Just to be safe, you should refer to the documentation that came with the unit, but I'm pretty sure that's how it works. Some of these units come with an override button that allows free flow of current either way (useful if your vehicle battery goes flat and you need current from the auxiliary to start the vehicle), so just be sure that is set in the working position.
    Last edited by Kiwi 4x4; 2020/08/02 at 01:34 AM.

Iím not sure if this will help but I found this quite interesting.

https://youtu.be/rDXixCzg6iw
    2014 Pajero 3.2DiD SWB

9. The Following User Says Thank You to KurtG For This Useful Post:

Thanks Kurt that is a pretty useful video, it never occurred to me that could happen (drain the starter battery).

For me, I have a solar panel on the roof which is 100 watts, but of course it could charge at much less than that in weak light. Fortunately, it was set up by professionals and they did hook it up to the auxiliary batteries, I presume because they knew what they were doing.

But if I had done it myself I would probably have been just as likely to hook it to the starter battery, not realizing this would be a mistake.

Always something new to learn!

Quote Originally Posted by Rudolfweyers84 View Post
    So I got the plug installed yesterday. Was done by Ironman4x4 in Alberton, as per Mahindra's recommendation.They used 16mm cable.The cables was installed directly onto the battery.I'm looking to get a WRND 20a DC-DC/MPPT charger to charge a 2nd battery from the plug in the load bin.From my understanding, the WRND charger will stop charging if the car battery goes below a certain voltage, which I assume would most often happen when the engine is turned off. Am I understanding this correctly?
    Yes, your understanding is correct. The WRND unit will never drain the cranking battery below 12.8v. Or 11.8v with the extended charge cable connected.
    Don't use the extended charge cable unless you need to, just leave it disconnected.
    The attachment is from the WRND manual - in case you haven't already got it.
    Thanks KurtG for the link, useful information and not something anyone should learn that the hard way.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Lxv For This Useful Post: