Economy on fire - Plenty of work?

Default Economy on fire - Plenty of work?

I have asked 3 people for quotes in the last month, not one has got back to me.

1) Toughstuff - been waiting for a quote on 2 occasions in the last 6 months, no joy. In hindsight if they wont even quote then you'll never hear from them at claim time.
    2) An electrician, a good days work, so not big but its money.
    3) A solar installer, 1/2 day job, could even do on a Saturday morning. I could get my wife to do it, but she does not take well to me giving commands over skype to her.

So besides what the media says about the collapsing economy etc., it must be going really well if nobody actually needs work!

Default Re: Economy on fire - Plenty of work?

Have the same experience.
    Makes no sense to me

Same experience with an electrician & car dealer.

Agree weird phenomenon. Maybe its more than just poor service, though that aspect is clear. I think there is something about human nature that when you drop off the pace, get off the treadmill as it were, it feels really difficult to get back on again. If you have been idling, full throttle seems like a hardship. We forget about how productive we once were

5. The Following User Says Thank You to IanK For This Useful Post:

I get the impression some people enjoyed the lockdown break too much and are struggling like to get to terms that they actually need to do something to get paid.

Yet there is a lot of complaining going around about how we sit on our money...

Rudu
    2007 Hilux 3.0d4d 4x4 DC - Mine
    2005 Hilux 3.0d4d 4x4 DC - Her's
    2008 3.2 did 4x4 DC Triton - Now with my Dad
    2006 Imagine Trailvan with Bunduawn 360

Quote Originally Posted by rdp View Post
    I get the impression some people enjoyed the lockdown break too much and are struggling like to get to terms that they actually need to do something to get paid.
    Very true, at a time when you expect everybody to buckle down and work twice as hard to secure their jobs I'm experiencing more problems with idling and loafing than before the lockdown.
    Nothing screams "Bad workmanship" like wrinkles in the duct tape

2012 Q7 4.2 TDI
    Birkin SR20VET race car

Same problem, I need some automatic gates manufactured and installed 7 emails sent, got one phone call back and no quotes. I have been at it for 2 weeks.

Well, maybe some insight on some of what is going on. I had a pipe leak in my bathroom on Friday morning. Anyway, phoned insurance, plumber was issued. I struggled getting the plumber to eventually come sort it out, but it was fixed on Saturday morning. Now, I had to get the insurance to send out an assessor for the ceiling, which obviously took damage. Spoke to the assessor, and he said they are extremely busy. The roof guys will take at least a week or more to start work on my ceiling. He also said they are booked with so many jobs that they don't even care about doing a personal job for you. ( I inquired about putting in a new ceiling in my living room). So I guess some people just take too many insurance jobs?
    2011 Freelander 2 SE
    Swambo : 2012 BMW 530d Msport("the beast")

I must say, Iíve been noticing in the past week the contractors are pumping. The roads are full of bakkies and trailers.
    Hell right now, as I type this I have a contractor fixing my garage roof. My neighbors two down are doing some or other painting or waterproofing, thereís some other work going on around the block here, and Chain saws are cutting trees further down the road, etc. itís chaos around here today!
    2004 Nissan Patrol 4.8
    1999 Nissan Patrol 4.2D

Other than an insurance quote, sometimes the juice is not worth the squeezing so to speak.

also lots of places who have just reopened might not have staff or stock available to do a quote for small jobs.

Lets say you are a small business and closed down for 3 month under lockdown You left your suppliers hanging for paying your account, you reopen but supplier will open you account once overdue account is paid, problem is you used the cash flow to eat and pay the fixed bills during the 3 month lockdown.

2011 VW Touareg V.8 TDI
    2006 VW Touareg 3.0 TDi air suspension aka Pumba ( sold)
    2003 Pajero IO 2.0 aka Bosvark

Making no excuses for the poor service and lack of response on quotes...

I know of instances where customers have not paid invoices from the time of lockdown... in a perfect world the business should have a contingency, but not all were in that position going into the crisis. As a result, a businesses may be unable to pay some of its suppliers, who in turn would then not supply until the accounts are settled.

This leaves the smaller business with a real dilemma, they cannot supply a full range of products but are still "in business". The end result for a customer is going to be bad service or a runaround...

This is not a new phenomenon, but it seems to be more prevalent right now.
    "The problem with internet quotes is that they are very often unverified."
    -Abraham Lincoln

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MarcR For This Useful Post:

I am experiencing a very similar situation.

During lockdown, a very large number of my suppliers sent workers home and closed offices. These people were working from home.
    Spares guys went in once every week or 2 to get spares out the stores, and if you were extremely lucky, some courier or transport was arranged to get it to you. Owners and directors of business were in just about the same situation. It was in many many cases a really unplanned welcome extra lovely holiday.. (Fair, not everyone had this outlook on things but a lot did!)

Now, after some lockdown has been lifted, a lot of these people are still working from home as many companies have realized that its cheaper than renting office space, electricity, travel expenses, etc.
    My opinion is, and I find this a lot, is that working from home if you have never done this before is a major challenge. They wake at 09:00am, have coffee, then breakfast. Then a shower, play with the dog and decide what is going to be for dinner.
    By that time its lunchtime. After lunch, maybe if you are lucky, they start the old computer and download emails and check on missed calls and messages. OMG, its 03:45 pm!!
    Day is almost over.
    Another coffee...maybe a snack before getting ready for dinner.

Oh well, will start tomorrow morning....

Day 2....repeat of day 1.....and so on.
    '13 Toyota Hilux 4x4 XCab

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Metalmachine For This Useful Post:

And there have been some instances where you email some one on Monday ( business banker in my case) still no response by Wednesday so I call him to find out progress only to hear he has been sent home to self isolate while waiting test results because someone in the office tested positive.

2011 VW Touareg V.8 TDI
    2006 VW Touareg 3.0 TDi air suspension aka Pumba ( sold)
    2003 Pajero IO 2.0 aka Bosvark

Quote Originally Posted by Karol View Post
    Other than an insurance quote, sometimes the juice is not worth the squeezing so to speak.

also lots of places who have just reopened might not have staff or stock available to do a quote for small jobs.

Lets say you are a small business and closed down for 3 month under lockdown You left your suppliers hanging for paying your account, you reopen but supplier will open you account once overdue account is paid, problem is you used the cash flow to eat and pay the fixed bills during the 3 month lockdown.
    Before pandemic I struggled to get quotes. Used to wonder, times tough yet businesses dont bother to do quotes.

Think its sometimes not worth it to spend petrol and time to do quote etc unless job guaranteed.

Only explanation. Yet my regular plumber, I paid him immediately because pretty reliable plumber closed shop and went to work for a construction company

Most of the companies and dealers i deal with in George, are bursting at the seams. Trying to catch up. Most places are smiling, except the eateries of course!
    2011 Isuzu 300d-teq 4x4 d/c
    Home built Blapsie caravan.
    The decision you make today, will determine the road you walk tomorrow

My plumbing business is bursting at its seams with all the work!

Unfortunately I had to show work away last week as I just cannot get to everything at the moment, but always communicate with the client that I would love to help them and, if they can wait a day/week/month I will still help them or for quicker response refer them to another reliable plumber.
    I have met some crazy people. They have made me their leader...

Si vis pacem, para bellum

We also got quite busy the past two weeks.
    As if nothing changed.
    Holding thumbs.
    Isuzu 300 d-tec
    MB Gwagen G350 Bluetec
    Nissan NP300 2.4 4x4
    BMW R1200GS & GSA

Honesty and being upfront goes a long way in business. If you as the service provider cannot fulfill the customer's expectations, he or she needs to be told so. It is just good manners and said customer has then the choice to wait for your feedback, which should be forthcoming within the time frame you stated, or not, depending on their urgency.

I am at the point of bludgeoning my sales staff with a pickhandle for saying "I'll make a plan" when there is no plan to be made, or promising things they KNOW cannot happen.

Guess this is the reason why I supply projects all over the country and am so busy during the day to not have the time to pay attention to my personal stuff.
    "Stare, pry, listen, eavesdrop. Die knowing something, you are not here long"
    Walker Evans, Photographer

I have had good and bad. Good was our geyser replacement maybe a moth ago. Done and dusted over one weekend. An other good one: Our over/under voltage protection system broke and it needs rebuilding. Very prompt response. Maybe because I asked our area WhatsApp group if there are any fully registered electricians on the area. Mama sends PM "My son has a company". So I send e mail inquiry with details and saying mama gave the contact details. I send mama a note that inquiry sent. Company contacts me and says when they come. Arrived at the agreed time. They look and say they have only very expensive parts now. Inspected what to do. "We will come back" Later the same day (today) offer arrives with less than half the cost I expected. They sourced correct cheaper parts. I paid the deposit and they fixed a date for next week. I send thank you to mama.

Considering the response they will get inquiries in the future.

SWAMBO is an Afrikaner. I have learned over the years that there is a Mama Rule in the family "Do it or I klap properly" I just took advantage of a very proper system.

Car parts. It took 4 or 5 deliveries before I did get the right gas lifters. My Sony headphones took for ever to arrive. Covid was blamed.

On general terms. If you run a business do not ignore inquiries. Just schedule and plan the work. Do not leave inquiries unanswered. Answer something: give a bit over priced value, have a list of people in the industry who are not that good in sales but can do a job and subcontract, answer "in weeks time"...
    Jouko
    ----------
    2003 Grand Cherokee 4.7l
    2012 Smart
    Never drive a normal car 8)

23. The Following User Says Thank You to Jouko For This Useful Post:

During the past 102 days of lockdown, we were quiet for about 12 days, we are very busy (we print school text books for the Department of Basic Education as well as Covid material for the Department of Health). So we can not complain, there are print shops out there that are laying staff off left right and centre.
    Great minds discuss ideas, average minds discuss events, small minds discuss people - Eleanor Roosevelt.