Retirement house near george - Page 3

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Default Re: Retirement house near george

Quote Originally Posted by Prof View Post
    I stayed in Dana Bay and I am an old man....

My old wife tells no tales.....

Tot sy jou hoor
    105 Cruiser
    Amarok AWD

I stayed in Dana Bay and I am an old man....

My old wife tells no tales.....

If that is the case, you stayed in Danabay when the wind was still made there, but that wind factory closed down and it remained just another coastal dorpie with lots of wind the one day and nothing the next just like Mosselbay, Grootbrak, Glentana, Heroldsbay, Sedgefield, Knysna, Plettenbergbay and the rest.

Quote Originally Posted by NEON DEON View Post
    as its close to George where there is apparently a very good hospital .
    To put a spanner in you works, Mossel Bay has better hospital services than George, at least in 2017 they had.
    https://www.news24.com/fin24/compani...itals-20170718
    Last edited by jab2; 2020/07/10 at 11:33 AM.
    Cobus
    2010 Jimny

4. The Following User Says Thank You to jab2 For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by jab2 View Post
    To put a spanner in you works, Mossel Bay has better hospital services than George, at least in 2017 they had.
    https://www.news24.com/fin24/compani...itals-20170718
    You quote a little too selectively

I wrote

George - good hospital
    Mossel bay - GOOD hospital

but you just confirmed my subtle assessment

Quote Originally Posted by DEFENDER90 View Post
    If that is the case, you stayed in Danabay when the wind was still made there, but that wind factory closed down and it remained just another coastal dorpie with lots of wind the one day and nothing the next just like Mosselbay, Grootbrak, Glentana, Heroldsbay, Sedgefield, Knysna, Plettenbergbay and the rest.
    It depends where you stay in Danabay, in a kloof or on a spine.

Three friends living in Danabay has lost roof tile yesterday, the third time this year the one loses tiles.

I have also never had a braai there without wind, not necessary gale force, but any wind at a braai is too much wind.
    Cobus
    2010 Jimny

7. The Following User Says Thank You to jab2 For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Maartendeneef View Post
    You quote a little too selectively

I wrote

George - good hospital
    Mossel bay - GOOD hospital

but you just confirmed my subtle assessment
    But I did not quote you, I quoted the OP.
    Cobus
    2010 Jimny

I would select one of the security estates in George.

There are also some very good retirement villages which aren't really retirement but lock-up-go places that have backup like frail care for long term peace of mind.
    Look at Blue Mountain, Groenkloof, Bergsig and there are a few more..

The advantage of George is that everything is close by and of a high standard. Lots of variety of shops, excellent golf course, bowling clubs, airport, bus terminus and franchised retail outlets; for instance there is even a Mahindra franchise!
    The restaurants are great. Many have won national awards.
    There a some premium venues: Fancourt, Oubaai and also consider Kingswood.
    Right next door are Wilderness, Victoria Bay and Herolds Bay.

Socially there are hiking clubs, bridge clubs, book clubs, Virgin Active, pilates classes and, I'm told, a very active U3A.

In essence it is the hub and offers great value.

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DdeJ For This Useful Post:

Swambo has this idea to move to DANA BAAI when we "retire" wants to buy a property there . At this stage the destination is Danabaai, as its close to George where there is apparently a very good hospital . So witjin 50 ks from GEORGE with a sea view is the deciding factor , And the closer to the beach would be a bonus
    We are planning to use the Xmas shutdown to go view some houses , aware not the best time to do so , but our only time . Can just hop on a plane and go . Buying new would save the transfer fees , but what we have seen is new developments , far from the beach and tends to be on the small side , and most of the time only 1 garage , we need min a double as we have toys to park
    please make some suggestions where to go look

Then on a similar note , need some suggestions as to the best route down , pit stop , and then accommodation. MY PLAN ... Will be riding down by bike , N1 Bloem , Colesburg , Graaff Reinet ( pitstop ) next day to George via Oudtshoorn. and on to final destination .
    We will need a 2 night stop , xmas & boxing day , then 3 days to view houses , then make our way back home . Was thinking to return via PE , Hogsback , Aliwal North ( pitstop ) home vie Bloem .
    I like Wilderness , but from previous trips , Xmas day is a dead day there and nothing is open. Similar with New years eve . We end up having a drink in our room . Suggestions please .
    Your wife is onto a good thing, listen to her
    When faced with the dilemma of being right or being happy , I choose happy every time

I have a property in Dana Bay close to the beach - it is a beautiful area, it is under the Mosselbay municipality which is the most pro-active and best municipality department in the country right now. They are constantly on top of things, unlike everywhere else.
    Gabon / Botswana

If you only visit 2 continents in your lifetime - visit Africa
    TWICE

Grew up in CBS. Personally I would buy in the George side of CBS. It's more protective towards the elements at a retirement age. the wind is a big problem in DanaBay.

Just keep in mind, anywhere along the coast, if you add seaview, add a million to your budget. I have however been living in George since '95 and love the Garden Route area. Mossel bay does get very crowded over the season, no parking and roads cannot handle the volume. Can take more than an hour from Hartenbos to town on a busy day.
    Range Rover sport 5l V8 supercharged
    Megane II GT 2.0 T (SWAMBO)
    Imagine trailvan

Previous
    Bushwakka weekender trailer, passed on to the kids
    Disco 3 V8 HSE, sold due to the itch
    Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE. I finally got scared enough of broken cranks, swopped for a V8
    Nissan 3.0 DC with all the bits to make it look nice, not bad but wanted a Landy again.
    D90 2.8 OME, ARB locker, Muds, unstoppable but thirstier than me
    Disco 2 TD5 facelift, OME, Muds
    Disco 1 TDi
    D110 V8
    D90 2.5 petrol 1987. Probably first 90 in RSA, imported via Bots
    LR Series 2a '68, wish I never sold it.
    Land Cruiser VX turbo diesel '95, bought in a moment of madness, worst thing I ever owned.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to GeorgeO For This Useful Post:

I currently live closer to George. Danabaai is very nice, good value for money. We previously looked at the area as well but decided against it. There is a major informal settlement next door / at the entrance to the area. Crime is my main concern. Protest actions at the entrance to your area is never a good idea? We now live in Herolds Bay, 15km from George. I cannot comment from a resident perspective, but maybe someone on this forum can. There is many locations all over the Garden Route. I will definitely recommend moving into the Garden Route. Magical place

Swambo has this idea to move to DANA BAAI when we "retire" wants to buy a property there . At this stage the destination is Danabaai, as its close to George where there is apparently a very good hospital . So witjin 50 ks from GEORGE with a sea view is the deciding factor , And the closer to the beach would be a bonus
    We are planning to use the Xmas shutdown to go view some houses , aware not the best time to do so , but our only time . Can just hop on a plane and go . Buying new would save the transfer fees , but what we have seen is new developments , far from the beach and tends to be on the small side , and most of the time only 1 garage , we need min a double as we have toys to park

Then on a similar note , need some suggestions as to the best route down , pit stop , and then accommodation. MY PLAN ... Will be riding down by bike , N1 Bloem , Colesburg , Graaff Reinet ( pitstop ) next day to George via Oudtshoorn. and on to final destination .
    We will need a 2 night stop , xmas & boxing day , then 3 days to view houses , then make our way back home . Was thinking to return via PE , Hogsback , Aliwal North ( pitstop ) home vie Bloem .
    I like Wilderness , but from previous trips , Xmas day is a dead day there and nothing is open. Similar with New years eve . We end up having a drink in our room . Suggestions please .
    Last edited by vrensbhj; 2020/07/13 at 02:44 PM.

I would think thrice about Danabaai. It is close to an informal settlement and the related problems such as burglary and attacks. There are many safer places nearby. The Garden Route is a great place to live. Happy hunting, trust you will find a suitable and happy home.

I see some valuable comments in response. IMO, if you want a laid back lifestyle with some fishing etc, close to the beach, good security and great resale value, try Boggoms Bay or Vleesbaai. We have a place in Boggoms Bay and it is simply stunning. There are some rules that one needs to agree to which enhances Boggoms Bay enjoyment significantly. NO SHOPS, NO OUTSIDE LIGHTS and NO STREET LIGHTS. Weird, but really good clean environment .... Vleesbaai is more of an estate type place but it has great facilities etc. All this about 16km from Mosselbay but worth your while to investigate.

---------------------------------------------
    Billy of Arabia

Ford Ranger Wildtrack 3.2
    LandRover Defender 2.8i

There is a reason for it going for a song.

We used to spend December holidays there in the early 80's when I was a kid.

The wife and i took a drive through there last year. Man...that is a depressing place. Even the road from JBay to get there is not pleasant.
    Quote Originally Posted by Spliffcat View Post
    An idea.
    Paradise Beach near Jeffreys Bay, property is going for a song. All facilities available in Jeffreys. PE 70 km away.
    2004 Defender 110 Td5

21. The Following User Says Thank You to Sawdust For This Useful Post:

My 2c, I would buy in George as well. My dad moved from Struisbaai 5 years ago and nothing is rusting anymore but there was allot of comments above about it.

To answer your second question, we travel allot down and last time we stayed in Middleburg EC, at Nguni Country Lodge. Ask the hostest to direct you to the local kuier plek 2 blocks away, little gem, cheap drinks and food and really value for money. Will not stay over in Graaff-Reinet again.

If you have a off-road bike, there is a nice gravel back road between Willowmore and Cradock which I'll recommend and from there take the back road to Gariep dam.
    Jaco
    Life's a journey, enjoy the ride.

Quote Originally Posted by Spliffcat View Post
    An idea.
    Paradise Beach near Jeffreys Bay, property is going for a song. All facilities available in Jeffreys. PE 70 km away.
    We are trying to keep this very quiet.

Crime virtually non-existant, beaches rated among the best in the world by CNN Travel, a municipality that is well run (Municipal Manager stays in Paradise Beach) and with the price difference between buying or building in PB and doing the same in the George area you could travel overseas quite a few times or locally for the rest of your retirement.

But please keep this between us.
    My name is Rainier and I drive a Frotuna.

Why are you always in such a bad mood? Experience...

24. The Following User Says Thank You to Rainier Vermaak For This Useful Post:

Personally I would look at Botha Strand, Outeniqua Strand and Glentana.
    Agree with Prof. We moved from Pretoria 12 years ago to Outeniqua strand.Have not regretted once. Take your time, a lot of properties available. Dana baai very windy.

2018 VW Amarok V6 4Motion A/T
    2019 VW Tiguan 2.0 TDI Highline
    2015 Jurgens Xplorer

We moved into Wilderness about 7 years ago -- no regrets.
    My advice : If you see the sea, you'll have rust issues, even 1 KM away, but even more important -- you will be looking south and possibly miss the winter sun. I know of too many people who complain about miserably cold homes because they focused, in summer, on a sea view -- with the result that bathrooms etc is on the northern side, and living areas and main bedroom see no sun in winter.
    Decide what you like about scenery : from Groot Brak south it is Klein Karoo, from George towards PE it is green all year round, and depending on location, both sea and mountain views.
    Start watching weather forecasts -- check the wind. George - Wildernis - Sedgefield also suffers severe windstorms at times, but a lot less than Mosselbaai or areas towards PE.
    Good luck!
    Jan Heyneke

Dubbel battery van Genesyz
    Frontrunner dakrak
    Big Country sleephak
    Self-geboude spaarwiel draer

27. The Following User Says Thank You to Jan Heyneke For This Useful Post:

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast