2001 Isuzu Frontier 280DT 4x4 - Page 2

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Default Re: 2001 Isuzu Frontier 280DT 4x4

Quote Originally Posted by sackett View Post
    Good buy Jared and a naaaise looking SUV. Did that year model come with airbags? - I have always wanted one of these but the Boss says it must have airbags - so airbags it must have!!!
    Thank you No airbags in the Frontiers unfortunately.

Quote Originally Posted by Peter1949 View Post
    Do you have any pics of your vehicle anywhere on the forum? I'd like to see it. (Jared)

My girl is 1998 model D/C
    Very nice! And being used properly too.

I also always engaged the manual hub locks on my Nissan's. Yes, the front diff gets some exercise. No, it doesn't really affect fuel consumption. And you just engage 4wd and you have no need to step into mud or water
    2012 Jeep Sahara Unlimited 3.6 V6
    Percivamus

Quote Originally Posted by jelo View Post
    I also always engaged the manual hub locks on my Nissan's. Yes, the front diff gets some exercise. No, it doesn't really affect fuel consumption. And you just engage 4wd and you have no need to step into mud or water
    I'm aware the fuel difference isn't much but running the entire drive train for the front wheels to the transfer box does add wear. The rule with 4x4 is that it's engaged before you need it to cross mud, water, sand or rough terrain. Not once you get stuck or might get stuck. Mine is engaged on smooth dirt roads in 4H where I can do over 100 km/h to retain traction on all the wheels.On tar there's no reason to engaged them.
    2001 Isuzu Frontier 4X4 DT280 LX 2.8 Turbo Diesel (Tourer)
    2011 JMC 4X4 Double Cab 2.8 Turbo Diesel (Work Bakkie)
    1973 Land Rover Series 2A 109" Ford V6 Kanniedood, Salisbury diff, galvanised chassis etc. (Hobby and Work vehicle)

Horses for courses.
    2012 Jeep Sahara Unlimited 3.6 V6
    Percivamus

I had a look at the vehicle today to see why the number plate lights weren't working, along with the rear hatch release button on the inside. I fitted a new wiper blade to the rear as well to test the wiper system, which I found also wasn't working. Turns out the main wiring harness to the tail gate was unplugged underneath the vehicle - plugged that in and everything works perfectly now! Crisis averted. Should hopefully go for COR shortly

Sounds all good Jared - Enjoy !
    Solid vehicle.
    Answering the call of the wild is just so much beter than answering the telephone.
    ISUZU KB 280 DT LE NOW POWERED BY THIS AMAZING COMMUNITY
    Modified Glider Hunter trailer fitted with RTT.
    Platkar = Chevy Spark 1.2

Went for COR this past Monday - failed on slight play in both the LHS front wheel bearing and idler arm. Purchased a new idler arm from Midas for R395. Genuine item from the dealer is R6500!! I did however purchase genuine wheel bearing and knuckle seals, along with thrust washers and needle roller bearings. If I was going to be checking the wheel bearing play, I might as well put fresh grease in there at the same time i.e. preventative maintenance. It's a good thing I did, because the grease that came out there desperately needed changing a long time ago.

So, I spent my Saturday stripping everything down :

Ready for the new parts, which included new discs, pads and sliding pins on the calipers :

Just a tip for anyone doing this job themselves - replace the small Phillips head screws that hold the lock tab to bearing adjustment nut with small hex head screws. It'll make life so much easier down the road and avoid stripping the heads later on. Also, when it comes to adjusting the nut and you don't have access to the correct tool, DON'T knock it round with a punch or similar (no way of telling what the preload might be that way). Rather place a screwdriver in each of the two holes the tool would fit into and use a third screwdriver as a lever between the two to turn the nut :

And all put back together :

Really is handy having a two-post hoist at your disposal for jobs like this!

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jared Mk3 For This Useful Post:

Forgot the mention that wheel alignment was also done recently and the torsion bars adjusted to level the vehicle out. Certainly looks a bit better now. I fitted the new idler arm today, as well as sprayed the brake drums black and fitted new belts. I did notice the boots on the lower balljoints are splitting, so those will need addressing at some stage too, but otherwise, good to go. Should hopefully get through COR now :

There is something timeless about the Frontier design, it's aged very well, one of my favourite looking vehicles to this day.

They look epic in the candy apple blue colour the Op's is in.

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Skylark For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Skylark View Post
    There is something timeless about the Frontier design, it's aged very well, one of my favourite looking vehicles to this day.

They look epic in the candy apple blue colour the Op's is in.
    I still think they were ahead of their time, considering the comfort and features and clean design.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Jared Mk3 For This Useful Post:

Well, she went through COR today without a hassle. Happy with that. Now to deal with the licensing offices . . .

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Jared Mk3 For This Useful Post:

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2