2001 Isuzu Frontier 280DT 4x4

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Red face 2001 Isuzu Frontier 280DT 4x4

My dad recently sold his faithful 1991 Hilux 4x4, after 22 years of trouble free service. The ride comfort was becoming a bit too unbearable, so with a sore heart, she had to go. I was lucky enough to find a suitable replacement in the form a 2001 Frontier. With a lowly 182 000km on the clock and exceptionally maintained, we feel it is a worthy replacement. Not to mention the ride comfort and fuel consumption - 13.1 km/litre was achieved on the trip from JHB to Kokstad. Very happy with that.

An intercooler has already been fitted, along with a new clutch, injectors and glow plugs. SAC dyno tuned and adjusted the injector pump for smooth running. She has enough power to maintain speed in the hills, which is more than enough for us.

Very happy with this purchase :

2. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Jared Mk3 For This Useful Post:

Default Re: 2001 Isuzu Frontier 280DT 4x4

Welcome. Those are excellent vehicles. Many are close to 500 000 km now. If well maintained they are very reliable. Mine has close on 400 000 km on the clock and has been used for overlanding. It lives mainly on harsh Karoo dirt roads. I have been stopped and asked to sell the vehicle several times. Those round grids at the mirrors are speakers. It has a 6 speaker sound system as standard. I looked at the Trailblazer when it came out and decided to keep the Isuzu. I took it on a 10 000 km three month Namibia tour after that decision. Not a single hiccup. Enjoy the vehicle. Pic of mine:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1712.jpg 
Views:	268 
Size:	344.4 KB 
ID:	578235
    2001 Isuzu Frontier 4X4 DT280 LX 2.8 Turbo Diesel (Tourer)
    2011 JMC 4X4 Double Cab 2.8 Turbo Diesel (Work Bakkie)
    1973 Land Rover Series 2A 109" Ford V6 Kanniedood, Salisbury diff, galvanised chassis etc. (Hobby and Work vehicle)

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Olyfboer For This Useful Post:

What a find! Great vehicles, enjoy.
    2009 VW Touareg 3l V6 TDi
    2006 Isuzu DMax 300Tdi DC 4x4 (sold)

6. The Following User Says Thank You to walkabout For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Jared Mk3 View Post
    My dad recently sold his faithful 1991 Hilux 4x4, after 22 years of trouble free service. The ride comfort was becoming a bit too unbearable, so with a sore heart, she had to go. I was lucky enough to find a suitable replacement in the form a 2001 Frontier. With a lowly 182 000km on the clock and exceptionally maintained, we feel it is a worthy replacement. Not to mention the ride comfort and fuel consumption - 13.1 km/litre was achieved on the trip from JHB to Kokstad. Very happy with that.

An intercooler has already been fitted, along with a new clutch, injectors and glow plugs. SAC dyno tuned and adjusted the injector pump for smooth running. She has enough power to maintain speed in the hills, which is more than enough for us.

Very happy with this purchase :

I had a similar colour, but 1998. Drove for almost 20 years and loved every moment!

Sold it 18mths ago, but still miss the old lady some days.

The only rattle I ever had was the spare wheel carrier....it needed a support on the inside of the body. Had it fixed shortly after I bought it.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Dirkba For This Useful Post:

What a great find. Absolutely beautiful. Congratulations. May your dad have many pleasurable kilometers in her.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Frontiersman For This Useful Post:

A true gem of a find!
    2017 Isuzu KB 300 4X4 Auto (current)
    2008 Isuzu KB 300 4X4 manual (current)

12. The Following User Says Thank You to A1ex For This Useful Post:

What a beauty. I would give both my nuts for one of those. Enjoy!
    2011 Isuzu 300d-teq 4x4 d/c
    Home built Blapsie caravan.
    The decision you make today, will determine the road you walk tomorrow

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Pieterk For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Olyfboer View Post
    Welcome. Those are excellent vehicles. Many are close to 500 000 km now. If well maintained they are very reliable. Mine has close on 400 000 km on the clock and has been used for overlanding. It lives mainly on harsh Karoo dirt roads. I have been stopped and asked to sell the vehicle several times. Those round grids at the mirrors are speakers. It has a 6 speaker sound system as standard. I looked at the Trailblazer when it came out and decided to keep the Isuzu. I took it on a 10 000 km three month Namibia tour after that decision. Not a single hiccup. Enjoy the vehicle.
    Thank you Quite a few people have already asked my dad what he'd want for it and he's only had it a few days! This one has been well looked after by the previous owners. It did a trip into a Mozam in December 2019 without an issue. Yours looks very nice! I like the steps on it. Nice to see them being used as intended without giving faults.

Quote Originally Posted by walkabout View Post
    What a find! Great vehicles, enjoy.
    Thank you

Quote Originally Posted by Dirkba View Post
    I had a similar colour, but 1998. Drove for almost 20 years and loved every moment!

Sold it 18mths ago, but still miss the old lady some days.

The only rattle I ever had was the spare wheel carrier....it needed a support on the inside of the body. Had it fixed shortly after I bought it.
    There is a very small crack below the tail light above the lower hinge which will probably get fixed at some point. Other than that, no rattles or noises, which truly surprised me.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontiersman View Post
    What a great find. Absolutely beautiful. Congratulations. May your dad have many pleasurable kilometers in her.
    Thank you

Quote Originally Posted by A1ex View Post
    A true gem of a find!
    Thank you

Quote Originally Posted by Pieterk View Post
    What a beauty. I would give both my nuts for one of those. Enjoy!
    Thank you Right place, right time for this one.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Jared Mk3 For This Useful Post:

I love my older Isuzu's. The 280 4x4 Frontiers are becoming really difficult to find in good condition! I had the chance to buy on a year ago...should've done it.

But, my 2003 Double Cab is still my only and every-day car. Every now and then I consider selling it...then I drive it somewhere and realise that I won't be able to replace it like for like for the money. Some argue, but I maintain that these older Isuzu's are more comfortable than MANY newer vehicles. And even when they DO go wrong, they are not that complicated.

Enjoy it! That one looks in really good nick!
    Anton

"At the end of the game, the King and the pawn go back into the same box." - Italian Proverb
    "The single most important component of a camera is the twelve inches behind it." - Ansel Adams

18. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to avk For This Useful Post:

Took it for a drive today to test the 4x4 and difflock system. Everything is working as expected and didn't break a sweat up in the hills around us.

She was given a wash before going back in the garage, ready for next time.

Quote Originally Posted by avk View Post
    I love my older Isuzu's. The 280 4x4 Frontiers are becoming really difficult to find in good condition! I had the chance to buy on a year ago...should've done it.

But, my 2003 Double Cab is still my only and every-day car. Every now and then I consider selling it...then I drive it somewhere and realise that I won't be able to replace it like for like for the money. Some argue, but I maintain that these older Isuzu's are more comfortable than MANY newer vehicles. And even when they DO go wrong, they are not that complicated.

Enjoy it! That one looks in really good nick!
    Thank you I agree with the ride comfort on these vehicles. The comfort levels rival that of some cars in my opinion. Rather hold onto it and enjoy it.

Jared Mk3,
    "There is a very small crack below the tail light above the lower hinge which will probably get fixed at some point. Other than that, no rattles or noises, which truly surprised me."

That is the tell tail sign that it is not suported from the inside!

See if you can get the support kit from agents and have it fitted by a panelbeater....the tear becomes bigger over time from the spare wheel and carrier weight.

22. The Following User Says Thank You to Dirkba For This Useful Post:

Out of interest what size BF Goodrich are you running? They look very smart on the frontier.
    2017 Isuzu KB 300 4X4 Auto (current)
    2008 Isuzu KB 300 4X4 manual (current)

24. The Following User Says Thank You to A1ex For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Jared Mk3 View Post
    Took it for a drive today to test the 4x4 and difflock system. Everything is working as expected and didn't break a sweat up in the hills around us. She was given a wash before going back in the garage, ready for next time.
    Just something to remember. Those manual wheel lock hubs need to be engaged every 1000 km and driven for a few km to be properly lubricated.
    2001 Isuzu Frontier 4X4 DT280 LX 2.8 Turbo Diesel (Tourer)
    2011 JMC 4X4 Double Cab 2.8 Turbo Diesel (Work Bakkie)
    1973 Land Rover Series 2A 109" Ford V6 Kanniedood, Salisbury diff, galvanised chassis etc. (Hobby and Work vehicle)

26. The Following User Says Thank You to Olyfboer For This Useful Post:

Just something to remember. Those manual wheel lock hubs need to be engaged every 1000 km and driven for a few km to be properly lubricated.
    We are doing so few KM these days that i just leave my hubs permanently on 4x4.

When we bought our 280DT D/C 1998 about 12 years back I was actually trying to get a Frontier - but unavailable at the time.

Anyway it is no longer standard since we removed the rear seat totally (still have it though) and fitted some extra's for overlanding and added an aux. fuel tank where the spare wheel was.
    Mounted the spare against the rear of the cab bulkhead - some other small mods.

Unfortunately the previous owner had towed caravan with it and it would seem had hammered the hell out of it so after 420 000 Km the motor gave up - Forum history !!

It was replaced with a (different) rebuilt 280 2.8 DT motor using Isuzu specs (original motor was irrecoverable).
    This was done by REMTEC in Port Elizabeth and came with a 1 year or 100 000 Km warranty.
    We only experienced an oil leak due to a failed oil seal which was sorted under the warranty at no cost to us.

The "new" motor is now still going strong and with only normal maintenance.
    It has been to places and under conditions - well - you name it.
    It is now a fraction under 500 000 Km ("New" motor - 80 000 Km).
    I was recently offered R 55 000 cash (as is) with all its patina, scratches and overlanding wear and tear and a few electrical issues in place and disclosed.
    Did I sell it ? NOooooo !

Do not have any doubts - you have an amazing vehicle there which seems to have been very well cared for - take care of her and she will not drop you.

Change oil and filters without fail (Air, oil and fuel).

Enjoy that beauty.

(I am jealous !)
    Answering the call of the wild is just so much beter than answering the telephone.
    ISUZU KB 280 DT LE NOW POWERED BY THIS AMAZING COMMUNITY
    Modified Glider Hunter trailer fitted with RTT.
    Platkar = Chevy Spark 1.2

28. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Peter1949 For This Useful Post:

What a beauty!
    -----------------------------
    Isuzu Frontier 280LX 4x4 2001

30. The Following User Says Thank You to RogueFrontier For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Dirkba View Post
    Jared Mk3,
    "There is a very small crack below the tail light above the lower hinge which will probably get fixed at some point. Other than that, no rattles or noises, which truly surprised me."

That is the tell tail sign that it is not suported from the inside!

See if you can get the support kit from agents and have it fitted by a panelbeater....the tear becomes bigger over time from the spare wheel and carrier weight.
    I'll give them a shout when I go to pick up the front wheel bearing seals. If it's not available, we'll more than likely make another plan to have it fixed.

Quote Originally Posted by A1ex View Post
    Out of interest what size BF Goodrich are you running? They look very smart on the frontier.
    These are the standard size - 245/70R16. Not normally a fan of the white lettering, but it does suit this vehicle nicely I think.

This is something that was done religiously with the Hilux, so will definitely be done with this one. I'm going to be replacing the seals and needle roller bearing, along with the grease at some point, just to be safe.

Quote Originally Posted by Peter1949 View Post
    We are doing so few KM these days that i just leave my hubs permanently on 4x4.

When we bought our 280DT D/C 1998 about 12 years back I was actually trying to get a Frontier - but unavailable at the time.

Anyway it is no longer standard since we removed the rear seat totally (still have it though) and fitted some extra's for overlanding and added an aux. fuel tank where the spare wheel was.
    Mounted the spare against the rear of the cab bulkhead - some other small mods.

Unfortunately the previous owner had towed caravan with it and it would seem had hammered the hell out of it so after 420 000 Km the motor gave up - Forum history !!

It was replaced with a (different) rebuilt 280 2.8 DT motor using Isuzu specs (original motor was irrecoverable).
    This was done by REMTEC in Port Elizabeth and came with a 1 year or 100 000 Km warranty.
    We only experienced an oil leak due to a failed oil seal which was sorted under the warranty at no cost to us.

The "new" motor is now still going strong and with only normal maintenance.
    It has been to places and under conditions - well - you name it.
    It is now a fraction under 500 000 Km ("New" motor - 80 000 Km).
    I was recently offered R 55 000 cash (as is) with all its patina, scratches and overlanding wear and tear and a few electrical issues in place and disclosed.
    Did I sell it ? NOooooo !

Do not have any doubts - you have an amazing vehicle there which seems to have been very well cared for - take care of her and she will not drop you.

Change oil and filters without fail (Air, oil and fuel).

Enjoy that beauty.

(I am jealous !)
    Thank you Do you have any pics of your vehicle anywhere on the forum? I'd like to see it. Good to know it's given you such good service. Also glad to hear the Remtec rebuilt engine has given you good service. Having worked in the workshop at an Isuzu/Opel/Chevy dealer, we experienced many problems with Remtec units.

Quote Originally Posted by RogueFrontier View Post
    What a beauty!
    Thank you

Good buy Jared and a naaaise looking SUV. Did that year model come with airbags? - I have always wanted one of these but the Boss says it must have airbags - so airbags it must have!!!

33. The Following User Says Thank You to sackett For This Useful Post:

To the best of my knowledge no Frontier ever came with airbags.

35. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Frontiersman For This Useful Post:

Do you have any pics of your vehicle anywhere on the forum? I'd like to see it. (Jared)

My girl is 1998 model D/C
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Baviaanskloof.jpg 
Views:	64 
Size:	394.5 KB 
ID:	578642   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Isuzu_Limpopo_Crossing.jpg 
Views:	61 
Size:	399.3 KB 
ID:	578643   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Isuzu_Climbing_Mountain.jpg 
Views:	59 
Size:	460.4 KB 
ID:	578644  
    Last edited by Peter1949; 2020/07/07 at 07:42 AM.
    Answering the call of the wild is just so much beter than answering the telephone.
    ISUZU KB 280 DT LE NOW POWERED BY THIS AMAZING COMMUNITY
    Modified Glider Hunter trailer fitted with RTT.
    Platkar = Chevy Spark 1.2

37. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Peter1949 For This Useful Post:

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast