Hisense Smart TV - Page 2

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Default Re: Hisense Smart TV

Quote Originally Posted by Walnut View Post
    Unfortunately i had the same problem with my one. The issue is that you cannot sideload apps onto as it doesn't run android. It runs a type of ported custom Hisense Linux operating system. Only way is as previously mentioned, buy a Certified Android TV Box. Don't worry about onboard storage as anything newer than android 6 can utilise USB storage as system storage, just make sure you get something with 2gigs of RAM and a recent version of Android.

I bought myself the Xiaomi Mi Box 3. Get yourself the following also:
    USB 3 Hub
    Mini 32gig USB stick
    Network Cable to USB 3 adapter

See image of setup:
    Attachment 578280

Mine has been running for a few years now with no real issues. It smoothly runs all my HD content via plex and when i still had the Hisense 4K tv ran that fine also (over a wired network, hence the adapter). I have since gone to a 55inch Samsung TV which is only 1080p (but with a better quality image) and even though the TV has Plex, Netflix etc i still use the Android TV Box. Its just a better experience in my opinion. So far the Mi Box is the best Android Tv Box i have used out of:
    Skyworth
    Mygica (about 4)
    Minix Neo (2 of them)

If you have the Moola and want the best, buy the Nvidia Shield.

Edit: The large USB stick is for a controller. You can install a PS1 game emulator and then play old games like Worms Armageddon and Hogs Of War with friends. Its a real blast.
    Thanks for the elaborative reply. Helpful.
    I'm inclined towards Mi box s.
    Any idea how much the USB can support? Can't find the info...

One more thing.
    I've a home theater system.
    My current setup connects 5.1 system to the Hisense TV using HDMI ARC.

Sorry very noob about the TV box.
    Will this setup still work if I just connect the TV and the Android box, without any audio connected to the Android box?

Or the audio output has to be from the Android box?
    In that case, mi box won't work as it doesn't have ARC or optical port.
    In that case it has to be Ematic which has optical port.

Quote Originally Posted by Teryos View Post
    Thanks for the elaborative reply. Helpful.
    I'm inclined towards Mi box s.
    Any idea how much the USB can support? Can't find the info...
    For use with operating system I am not sure but you really dont need more than 32gig. Don't store movies on the device, rather use an external drive (my 1TB works fine on the box) or use plex. You can have all your movies and series on a PC in the home and then plex streams it across, its a fantastic app. I even share my library with friends and family.

Here is a quick vid of my Plex setup, the movies and TV Shows are streaming from my brother-in-law. The screen saver at beginning on the video is a app called Aerial Dream, it brings in Apple TV's awesome videos over the network (dont install on a limited bandwidth network, it streams the content not download so it uses a lot of bandwidth).

Last edited by Walnut; 2020/07/04 at 10:50 AM.
    2008 Ford Ranger 3.0 XLT 4x4

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Walnut For This Useful Post:

One more thing.
    I've a home theater system.
    My current setup connects 5.1 system to the Hisense TV using HDMI ARC.

Sorry very noob about the TV box.
    Will this setup still work if I just connect the TV and the Android box, without any audio connected to the Android box?

Or the audio output has to be from the Android box?
    In that case, mi box won't work as it doesn't have ARC or optical port.
    In that case it has to be Ematic which has optical port.
    So that will still be connected to the TV, the TV box will send audio and video through the HDMI to the TV, and then from the TV to the Home Theatre System. If you have a DVD player, Laptop etc you could test the theory.... Connect it as you would the TV Box.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Walnut For This Useful Post:

Apple, uhm... Probably not, just because it's so limiting, I agree.
    The limiting comment was related to the Apple TV 2, which is now 10 YEARS old. The latest AppleTV 4 runs Plex for example natively as it now has app store access.

Quote Originally Posted by Dirk View Post
    The limiting comment was related to the Apple TV 2, which is now 10 YEARS old. The latest AppleTV 4 runs Plex for example natively as it now has app store access.
    I tried to do this ages ago, glad they sorted it out but Apple is still more limiting even if that was years ago. On android i can side load apps. For example the Mi Box didnt let me install Prime TV from Play store, so i just downloaded it, installed it and now i have it, or i can stream games from my pc for the kids, or install emulators etc. You just have more freedom with it.
    Last edited by Walnut; 2020/07/04 at 11:11 AM.

I tried to do this ages ago, glad they sorted it out but Apple is still more limiting even if that was years ago. On android i can side load apps. For example the Mi Box didnt let me install Prime TV from Play store, so i just downloaded it, installed it and now i have it, or i can stream games from my pc for the kids, or install emulators etc. You just have more freedom with it.
    You mean Amazon prime? If it didn't let you install, how did you do it then? Where do you download it to install?

You mean Amazon prime? If it didn't let you install, how did you do it then? Where do you download it to install?
    Ja. You just download the .apk (androids version of a .exe) files.

You download them either from site like apkPure or you can download Aptoid TV which is like another Playstore and you will find it in there.

Aptoid TV install file: https://aptoide-tv.en.aptoide.com/app
    Prime TV install file from apkPure: https://apkpure.com/prime-video-andr...deo.livingroom

Pretty sure the Mi Box S has the support natively now, since the Android Pie update.

Quote Originally Posted by Dirk View Post
    Top of the range, AppleTV, but you pay for that.
    I have two Amazon Fire TV Sticks, works very well too.
    I think Firestick is the way forward. We also have two, one to use at home and the other to use in the caravan when away on holiday.
    2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland Summit CRD chased by a 2018 Buccaneer Cruiser twin axle caravan.

i have been running Plex on apple tv for years now, never had an issue with any “limits”.

Like most things its personal preference, go with the ecosystem you have already invested in
    Nothing screams "Bad workmanship" like wrinkles in the duct tape

2012 Q7 4.2 TDI
    Birkin SR20VET race car

Quote Originally Posted by Surfer01 View Post
    I think Firestick is the way forward. We also have two, one to use at home and the other to use in the caravan when away on holiday.
    I have a firestick 4k on the kids tv, works well but its no apple tv. (I am very biased)

2012 Q7 4.2 TDI
    Birkin SR20VET race car

Fire stick compared to Apple TV is not a fair comparison. Rather compare the Apple to the Shield.

Anyone got Showmax running on FireStick? I ported it over from my Fire Tablet as it's not on the app store and it works once you're watching but hangs a lot when you're browsing.

Maybe check to see if it's the latest version?

https://www.google.com/amp/s/m.apkpu...howmax.app/amp

Fire stick compared to Apple TV is not a fair comparison. Rather compare the Apple to the Shield.
    agreed, they are at different price points. Was just pointing out that that I have used the 4k stick and I still decided to rather buy another apple TV as I felt the price premium was worth it. A friend who has never used an apple Tv just loves his firestick. Apple tv makes little sense if you are not already in the apple ecosystem, and if you are then the other systems make little sense.

2012 Q7 4.2 TDI
    Birkin SR20VET race car

So, I got myself the Mi Box S from game this weekend.

I am super happy and impressed! Our fingers are happy too, now that we don't have to use the most sluggish remote of the Hisense TV! Man it's been a pain!

With the mi Box, the interface is so clean and crispy! How difficult is it for TV companies to install something like this inside theirs TV's! Perhaps the business model. Smart TV's sell because we think they are smart, and TV box sell because we realize our TV's are not actually that smart!

Anyways, so far so very good. In terms of sound, here is what I found:

Netflix: Default audio setting on the box was PCM which did not produce 5.1. S/PDIF did not work. With those settings enabled, Netflix does not even show the audio quality in the movie description, such as English 5.1 etc.
    When I changed the setting to manual and manually selected DTS etc, voila, Netflix produces 5.1.
    One question, what is DTS DRC percentage value? It's given 0% to 100% with 0% selected by default. What should it be?

YouTube: Who can confirm if YouTube produces 5.1 sound? No matter what, it always play 2.1. So, I am assuming YouTube is only 2.1. So, it's not the box's fault.

These tow I have tested so far.

...YouTube: Who can confirm if YouTube produces 5.1 sound? No matter what, it always play 2.1. So, I am assuming YouTube is only 2.1. So, it's not the box's fault.
    This used to work on my PC with 5.1 surround but it stopped working some time last year. It did not work in December 2019. I don't have a system to test right now but it will give you an indication of what is happening on your setup.

If you are looking for confirmation from Google, you will not find it... it just looks like one of those features that have quietly disappeared...
    "The problem with internet quotes is that they are very often unverified."
    -Abraham Lincoln

20. The Following User Says Thank You to MarcR For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by MarcR View Post
    This used to work on my PC with 5.1 surround but it stopped working some time last year. It did not work in December 2019. I don't have a system to test right now but it will give you an indication of what is happening on your setup.

If you are looking for confirmation from Google, you will not find it... it just looks like one of those features that have quietly disappeared...
    Yep, this is only stereo, not 5.1. So, I guess, as you said, YouTube discontinued 5.1 audio!

Smile Re: Hisense Smart TV

Well, not so smart.

Hi All.

I bought this like 2 years ago. HiSense 58" UHD (model:58N5000UW).

It comes with only a few apps such as Netflix, YouTube etc. installed.

How do I get any other application such as Amazon Prime etc installed?

The in-built app store (Opera Store) only has few apps.

Anyone any help? How do I get a hand at many of those apps that I might be interested in?
    Listen to Zulu Cowboy! I had the same problem, same TV, got the eMatic and a stream and am as happy as a pig in the brown stuff!
    09 Kyron, the Korean Snail.
    NO Meeow!
    Blanked EGR.
    Thermo Electric Cooling fan.

So I ordered a Ematic TV box for my second TV. Very good price on Takealot, it has the same hardware as the Mi Box, but with more peripherals.

Unfortunately it wouldn't turn on when it arrived, but Takealot are swoping it out Monday. Hopefully it's just a once off issue.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast