Defenr TD5 Lights do odd things after rain

Question Defenr TD5 Lights do odd things after rain

Hey, so im basically looking to see if this is a known issue or whether im gonna need to take toe dashboard apart and trace all the wires.

I bought a 2001 90 in feb. After driving in the heavy rain i noticed some odd things and now some failures 2 days later. (yes water drips on my feet when it rains)

1: after parking at home. ( Defender switched off and all lights off ) i got stuff out of the back an after closing the door the driver side rear light came on for 30 odd second, a moment later the reverse light came on.
    2: driving home yesterday (also in rain) i used the indicator and after turning the sick returned to neutral position, the kicking stopped but the Arrow indicator light on the dashboard stayed on. after turning off the lights and back on went back to "normal"
    3: paying attention to the indicator light i now noticed that when i turn on the indicator the green trailer light also flashed ones or twice with the indicator then stayed off ( is that normal ? )
    4 this morning leaving home the reverse light did not come on while i was reversing out of the driveway

Any Ideas - is it coincidence or a common problem brought on by wetness ?
    2001 Defender 90 TD5

Default Re: Defenr TD5 Lights do odd things after rain

The trailer light will flash the first flash with your indicators.

The rest is not good reading. Seems like someone f'ed up the wiring.
    '07 Land Rover Defender 110 TDI 300 Kalahari (Meisiekind˛)
    '84 Land Rover Defender 110 V8 4-speed Hardtop (Meisiekind) Sold after 12 years of fun and hard work.
    The only thing needed for evil to triumph is for a good man to do nothing.

Maybe a stupid idea, but I am all for stupid ideas before scratching.... Why do you not have a diagnostic run before stripping?

Quote Originally Posted by Tall Paul View Post
    Maybe a stupid idea, but I am all for stupid ideas before scratching.... Why do you not have a diagnostic run before stripping?
    Are the lights wired throught the ECU? I was under teh impresion that the body electrical circuits are traditional fused and interlinged swiched circuits?
    2001 Defender 90 TD5

Lighting loom is separate from engine and ECU loom, first thing I would do is check all earths, the battery earth, earth to shassis and T-Case, also earth collection point on fire wall to right of clutch you see whole lot of black wires come out fire wall to a socket that socket is bolted to firewall, remove clean stud and nut and socket holder to bolt, also there is 2 earths on rear loom to shassis, inner side shassis right hand side close to bell housing

as for water leaks they all leak there was a instruction book about doing best to stop leaks send me email see if have it and can send to you
    1995 300TDi Defender with VGT Turbo (stolen by my son now )
    2002 Defender with LS1 MS3 ECU, 4L80e, LT230 1.222, Lockers and HD CW&P, 35" with 4" Lift
    2005 Defender TD5

I founs and replaced a bunch of melted wyres on saturday.
    dint knw the cause yet - Next stel is probably checking teh light looms reath point ? any other ideas
    Earth point as i understand
    Chassis - below the battery box close to the transfer box
    Engine - at the rear of the transfer case
    Body - on firewall behind engine, almost in the middle of the firewall. Might also have connections at headlights and tail lights.
    Fuse box - cables to mounting bolts of fuse box
    Name:  20200704_084717.jpg
Views: 27
Size:  210.2 KB
    2001 Defender 90 TD5