Marloth Park - security

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Marloth Park - security

My SIL is an Agric Engineer and his company is doing a lot of work in Komatipoort and surrounding areas. Him or his employees sleep over in Komatipoort a few days every week. He is looking at rather purchasing a 2 or 3 bedroom house in Marloth Park (guest houses are creaming it with all the stay overs the Last year or 2).

I am concerned about the security issue there, break ins and emptying out the house. We stayed a few days some years ago, when Kruger was full, and then already most homes had alarms and lots of security companies around.

Anybody with own experiences on current situation?

Thanks in advance
    Tobie Oosthuizen
    Ford Ranger 2.2 XLS 4X4
    RSI canopy & Frontrunner Slimline roofrack

Default Re: Marloth Park - security

There has even been a couple of Murders there ..not good ..But no different from the suburbs in the city ..Just get the house alarmed and hooked up to the armed response ..There is one there

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Peter Betts For This Useful Post:

Pieter Pieterse is daar vermoor, en hy ws nie die laaste nie.

Ek sal maar lugtig wees om daar te vestig.
    Isuzu 300 d-tec
    MB Gwagen G350 Bluetec
    Nissan NP300 2.4 4x4
    BMW R1200GS & GSA

5. The Following User Says Thank You to JohanMaree For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by JohanMaree View Post

Pieter is baie jare gelede vermoor, huis gaan meeste naweke nie bewoon wees nie. Net seker so 3-4 aande per week.
    Tobie Oosthuizen
    Ford Ranger 2.2 XLS 4X4
    RSI canopy & Frontrunner Slimline roofrack

Quote Originally Posted by JohanMaree View Post

Sjo, dis scary om al die geweld stories op Google search te lees. Hoekom sou MP juis so deurloop?

Zapiture,
    Discovery 4 Facelift 2015
    Defender D90 2.8 2003
    Conqueror Commander 2014

I've been there and never felt more unsafe than in my own home. I also know of people there, and they have had no issues. The fact is, you live in SOUTH AFRICA, murder, break-ins and rape is rife everywhere, from your holiday destinations, to your affluent suburbs to your informal settlements.
    Last edited by lizardalpha; 2020/07/03 at 08:13 AM.
    2011 Freelander 2 SE
    Swambo : 2012 BMW 530d Msport("the beast")

9. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to lizardalpha For This Useful Post:

A lot has changed in Marloth since the demise of Pieter Pieterse and other. Field Security has taken the problem by the scruff of the neck and crime is very much under control. I feel a lot safer there than at home.

Our little place is standing empty for most of the year without any issues.

Just refrain from employing a "gardenboy/caretaker". They tend to be the problem.

11. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to The Condor For This Useful Post:

Iím really hesitant to post further on this thread, I love Marloth and get the opportunity to go there from time to time. My business partner has a lovely place there. We were contemplating investing in that property but never check up on crime. One of the shareholders went belly up and need to dispose of his shares.

So when the thread came up I did a search for the first time and found Google with quite a few bad incidents of crime. The last one was Nov 2019:

So now Iím in two minds whether I should get involved.

Yet when I search Leopardís Creek not one single crime incident comes up.

Makes no sense, are they not fairly close?

Zapiture,
    Defender D90 2.8 2003
    Conqueror Commander 2014

I've also got property in Marloth that stands empty most of the year - important is to ensure that you have adequate security bars and an alarm linked to the security company.
    As for safety, I have never felt vulnerable or unsafe even being there alone and sitting outside enjoying the bush TV.

Sure there has been many incidents, the Pieterse murder was 18-20yrs back and the 2019 murder has more behind it than being random.

There are now a couple of armed security companies, the main being Field and Securecon who have certainly curbed the crime, sure petty crime still exists hence the need for alarm systems. Sercurecon even have paramedics stationed in Marloth now.

My TCW, go for it there are loads of properties up for sale and some even come fully furnished.
    Only advice, spent time there and really make sure as to what area are you want to be in. I for one will go nowhere near Seekoei as it's the main fence line road and is hectic in holiday season

lastnite there was extra security patrolling the area closeby to my house - see pic.
    The fence between Marloth and Kruger is in need of major maintenance, as a result the predators are regularly getting thru, but I'm quite happy with that. Wild Dogs were also spotted in Marloth early this morning.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

14. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Dingo For This Useful Post:

Beautiful Place, my parents left due to its remoteness and lack of proper support close by. Nelspruit is the closest proper hospital. This also makes many of the houses targets, and the news and reports support this. That being said all their friends are still there and wont move for the world.
    If the 21st century's idea of a knight in shining armor is a Toyota with a snorkel, mankind is doomed.

Default Re: Marloth Park - security.

Quote Originally Posted by Tobie4x4 View Post
    My SIL is an Agric Engineer and his company is doing a lot of work in Komatipoort and surrounding areas. Him or his employees sleep over in Komatipoort a few days every week. He is looking at rather purchasing a 2 or 3 bedroom house in Marloth Park (guest houses are creaming it with all the stay overs the Last year or 2).

I am concerned about the security issue there, break ins and emptying out the house. We stayed a few days some years ago, when Kruger was full, and then already most homes had alarms and lots of security companies around.

Thanks in advance

I have owned a house in Marloth since 2014.The crime situation is not as bas as Jhb or most other cities in SA.Security companies in Marloth are excellent and we have never experienced any kind of break in while the house is unoccupied.

Crime seems to be under control now. Marloth is a easy target as it is not really access controlled, although you pass through a boom. Anyone can get in. The fact that there are many empty houses, the large plots and out of sight building practice makes it easy picking for thieves. With the security firms it is going better now. Friend of mine has 3 homes there, all 3 up for sale. Not because of crime but because of baboons. The baboons enter through the thatch roof and destroy the place. Happened a few times now.
    20 Ranger Supercab 2.2 auto XLS 4x4
    18 Ranger Double cab Tdci (Swambo)
    12 Conqueror courage

17 Ranger Supercab Tdci (Sold)
    97 Defender 90 CSW 2.8i (Sold)
    04 Defender 110 d/c p/u Td5 (Sold)
    04 Discovery 2 Td5 GS auto (Sold)
    97 Defender HCPU Tdi (Sold)
    99 Discovery 2 TD5 GS (Sold)

18. The Following User Says Thank You to LandyLove For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Tobie4x4 View Post

Thanks in advance
    My daughter and sil (soon to be ex) are selling their house in Leeu. Very sad because we love going there and always feel perfectly safe. It's a good price with pool and aircon etc. Call me at 0826830326 if you're still keen.

Marloth Park was established in 1977, if you look at Murder Statistics from then to date, itís negligible, compared to JHB, PTA, DBN or any other area. Nkomazi is a rural area just like any other, with exactly the same issues. Petty theft forms the majority of crime statistics, mainly due to holiday makers thinking, ahh, weíre in the bush now and the bush is not part of SA so we can leave our doors and windows open and not lock anything at nightÖ The same people would never do it at home in GP or wherever they are from. Another statistic that make it look worse is the unfortunate ones that comes to the bush to drink themselves into a coma, fights with their wives/girlfriends, causes trouble at the local watering hole and gets thrown out of MP for domestic violence or disorderly behaviour, its usually the same ones that speed in the Park, killing at least one animal per day while racing around in their drunken stuporÖ

Install a alarm sytem and link it to any one of the three major role players in MP.

Quote Originally Posted by Zapiture View Post
    So now Iím in two minds whether I should get involved.

Yet when I search Leopardís Creek not one single crime incident comes up.

Makes no sense, are they not fairly close?
    You canít even begin to compare Leopard Creek with Marloth Park. Leopard Creek is a Private Golf Estate owned by Johan Rupert with a completely different set of rules. At the end of the day, MP forms part of the Nkomazi municipality, itís not a Private Estate or Reserve. Itís like comparing Silver Lakes to a normal suburb in PTA that is not part of a Security Estate.
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Land Cruiser 76 4.5D V8
    Conqueror Compact 2

I don't trust anyone who's nice to me but rude to the Janitor. They lack integrity...

21. The Following User Says Thank You to Bush Boy For This Useful Post:

Always kick my own butt for not buying that MP erf in 1995 when they cost peanuts......
    2012 Jeep Sahara Unlimited 3.6 V6
    Percivamus

Quote Originally Posted by jelo View Post
    Always kick my own butt for not buying that MP erf in 1995 when they cost peanuts......
    And I had the funds then and also did not buy. A dear friend of mine built his dream retirement place in Marloth Park. Damn I regret some things I did not do.....
    Last edited by Dungbeetle; 2020/07/08 at 06:18 PM.
    2000 Patrol GU 4.2D(onkey) "old-timer" and wise at 848 000 km
    2014 Patrol GU 3.0CRD "teenager" in puberty at 105 000 km
    2007 Echo3 Trailer "the nest" Braked Axle fitted at +50 000 km
    2012 NP300 YD2.5 D/C 2x4 High Rider "platkar" at 120 000 km

Quote Originally Posted by jelo View Post
    Donít they still cost peanuts? Or am I missing something?

Zapiture,
    Defender D90 2.8 2003
    Conqueror Commander 2014

Quote Originally Posted by Zapiture View Post
    Donít they still cost peanuts? Or am I missing something?

They were 5% of that back then.
    2012 Jeep Sahara Unlimited 3.6 V6
    Percivamus

A friend of mine bought two plots in marloth two years back. Ons of them had services already installed, but no building. Other one an empty plot. Both for R20k on bank auction.

Like LandyLove said, it is open to the public to wander / drive through so just so the same there as at home regarding security awareness. If we were not bound to be close to schools and hospitals etc., I wouldnt mind bying in Martoth Park.

27. The Following User Says Thank You to Bassfisher For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Bassfisher View Post
    A friend of mine bought two plots in marloth two years back. Ons of them had services already installed, but no building. Other one an empty plot. Both for R20k on bank auction.

Like LandyLove said, it is open to the public to wander / drive through so just so the same there as at home regarding security awareness. If we were not bound to be close to schools and hospitals etc., I wouldnt mind bying in Martoth Park.
    I wanted to buy a stand there 3 years ago for R59k. Friend of mine who owns the 3 properties there said to wait for auction, they come along quite often then you get stands for around R20-30k. We have however decided not to do it. "VÍr van jou goed, na aan jou skade"
    20 Ranger Supercab 2.2 auto XLS 4x4
    18 Ranger Double cab Tdci (Swambo)
    12 Conqueror courage

17 Ranger Supercab Tdci (Sold)
    97 Defender 90 CSW 2.8i (Sold)
    04 Defender 110 d/c p/u Td5 (Sold)
    04 Discovery 2 Td5 GS auto (Sold)
    97 Defender HCPU Tdi (Sold)
    99 Discovery 2 TD5 GS (Sold)

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast