Defender TD5 Cooling Leak

Default TD5 Cooling Leak

Had a coolant leak yesterday. The Little Black Box picked it up immediately and so I was able to prevent any damage.

It turns out the leak was from the blanking cap that sits near the back left side of the engine just below the exhaust manifold and turbo. Apparently the plumbing is blanked of on certain TD5 models while on others (notably Europe/UK spec) it carries coolant around the back of the engine and to the plumbing on the right side. It can clearly be seen on the cooling diagram in the Maintenance Manual which shows both versions. The blanking is done by a rubber cap held on by a hose clip. See photos. Apparently these blanking caps perish over time.

The replacement is supposed to cost around R1,000. It is possible to make a more robust replacement with hydraulic hose and a plug. In my case, a 20mm stainless wheel stud was used to plug the hose. Thread was cut off and the plug was held in place with 2 stainless jubilee clips. It was attached to the cooling plumbing with a third jubilee clip.

Lessons Learned:
    1. Always listen to the Black Box or Madman or whatever warning device you have. (If you don't have a warning device - get one. It is very easy to miss the temperature gauge silently creeping over into the red until it is too late).
    2. Inspect you engine frequently - I noticed some deposit from leaking coolant in this area about a week earlier but did nothing about it. My Defender never looses coolant, but two days earlier I needed to add about 250ml. Second clue missed.
    3. My Defender has about 140,000km now. If your TD5 has this cap, it is worth inspecting it. If you remove the turbo heat shield and the air intake from the filter box you will have good access.
    4. If in doubt, replace it - with the OEM one if you have the bucks, or a stronger one if you can do so.
    5. Most of the Landy mechanics are well aware of this problem. One of them was telling me that he has rebuilt about 5 TD5 engines over this exact failure.

Bon chance!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	F140E5B7-B3EF-4075-8B33-2B48D76C5EF5.jpeg 
Views:	39 
Size:	19.2 KB 
ID:	577946   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	FF5F0AD5-7141-4F05-80EB-E6012B384688.jpeg 
Views:	42 
Size:	28.4 KB 
ID:	577947   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	3DA1AF4E-E5DB-4142-B8EB-967B36D9BF8C.jpeg 
Views:	42 
Size:	46.9 KB 
ID:	577948   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	E97E6F6F-8B55-45EB-9CC1-E3DFC0B5DECE.jpeg 
Views:	43 
Size:	31.8 KB 
ID:	577949   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	0A797DDF-E20B-41D5-ADAB-5368592C948C.jpeg 
Views:	41 
Size:	36.1 KB 
ID:	577950  

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to QuintinC For This Useful Post:

Default Re: TD5 Cooling Leak

Quote Originally Posted by QuintinC View Post
    Had a coolant leak yesterday. The Little Black Box picked it up immediately and so I was able to prevent any damage.

It turns out the leak was from the blanking cap that sits near the back left side of the engine just below the exhaust manifold and turbo. Apparently the plumbing is blanked of on certain TD5 models while on others (notably Europe/UK spec) it carries coolant around the back of the engine and to the plumbing on the right side. It can clearly be seen on the cooling diagram in the Maintenance Manual which shows both versions. The blanking is done by a rubber cap held on by a hose clip. See photos. Apparently these blanking caps perish over time.

The replacement is supposed to cost around R1,000. It is possible to make a more robust replacement with hydraulic hose and a plug. In my case, a 20mm stainless wheel stud was used to plug the hose. Thread was cut off and the plug was held in place with 2 stainless jubilee clips. It was attached to the cooling plumbing with a third jubilee clip.

Lessons Learned:
    1. Always listen to the Black Box or Madman or whatever warning device you have. (If you don't have a warning device - get one. It is very easy to miss the temperature gauge silently creeping over into the red until it is too late).
    2. Inspect you engine frequently - I noticed some deposit from leaking coolant in this area about a week earlier but did nothing about it. My Defender never looses coolant, but two days earlier I needed to add about 250ml. Second clue missed.
    3. My Defender has about 140,000km now. If your TD5 has this cap, it is worth inspecting it. If you remove the turbo heat shield and the air intake from the filter box you will have good access.
    4. If in doubt, replace it - with the OEM one if you have the bucks, or a stronger one if you can do so.
    5. Most of the Landy mechanics are well aware of this problem. One of them was telling me that he has rebuilt about 5 TD5 engines over this exact failure.

Bon chance!
    That little pipe caused many engines to overheat! That was the first of many pipes that I changed to silicon as it is hidden away and easily forgotten. Well to the LBB!

"A clear conscience is usually the sign of a bad memory"

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mufie For This Useful Post:

Mine is changed to homemade. Much better pipe used. I also got n monitor to warn me
    Four wheels move the body,
    Landys move the soul.
    Current: Discovery 1 V8i
    Next landy, D3 V8 HSE Previous one.D1 300 TDi donkey, D1 V8 Fuel THIEF!!! freelander 1, biggest pos known to man,

Morning,

I'm busy fitting a Madman to my Defender and saw that pipe. I was thinking about using it to fit the coolant temperature sensor. Would that work?

Quote Originally Posted by John Allan View Post
    Morning,

I'm busy fitting a Madman to my Defender and saw that pipe. I was thinking about using it to fit the coolant temperature sensor. Would that work?
    Good question John, I think it would be wise to try and locate your temp sensor as close as possible to where the pick-up for the standard dash temp gauge is. Obviously the coolant temperature varies in different parts of the engine as it goes through the cooling/heating cycle. So if you want to compare apples with apples, then as close to the OEM temp sensor as possible.

I am also sure that there are good flow characteristics in the area where the OEM temp gauge probe is placed - i.e. they will not have placed it in some area where the flow is "stagnant".

In terms of practicality though, it would be relatively easy to fit a probe in that position.

looking at sorting mine out when i de web manifold and ceramic coat it, then will have room to remove whole cooler, i will then see if can pull that pipe out housing tap it and insert a propped plug then know it sorted for life
    1995 300TDi Defender with VGT Turbo (stolen by my son now )
    2002 Defender with LS1 MS3 ECU, 4L80e, LT230 1.222, Lockers and HD CW&P, 35" with 4" Lift
    2005 Defender TD5

Quote Originally Posted by clivemd View Post
    looking at sorting mine out when i de web manifold and ceramic coat it, then will have room to remove whole cooler, i will then see if can pull that pipe out housing tap it and insert a propped plug then know it sorted for life
    It looked like it might be part of the casting Clive, although I wasn't checking specifically for that. Good idea though.

Quote Originally Posted by QuintinC View Post
    It looked like it might be part of the casting Clive, although I wasn't checking specifically for that. Good idea though.
    ya looking at pics looks you right oh well will have to weld a blank on then
    1995 300TDi Defender with VGT Turbo (stolen by my son now )
    2002 Defender with LS1 MS3 ECU, 4L80e, LT230 1.222, Lockers and HD CW&P, 35" with 4" Lift
    2005 Defender TD5