Fortuner with very impressive fuel consumption.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default Fortuner with very impressive fuel consumption.

So after doing the homework...I decided to replace my wife's now almost 8 year old Ford Ranger 3.2 4x4 manuel with something that has more internal space as the 3 kids occupying the rear bench were starting to get on my nerves with their whining and moaning about being in each others "personal space" and disturbing the others Chi or karma or something so the only solution was to create some space between them. Bring on the 7 seater Tiguan. The VW Allspace was the vehicle to achieve this peace and sanity but alas....there are very few of the model I was looking for available on the used market and the pricing was ludicrous.

So...really my hand was forced to consider the bakkie based 7 seaters. Everest and fortuner was pick of the bunch and although the everest interior was more to my liking and suspension is probably more compliant..Im not a fan of the engines available. The 2.2 is a great engine in a ranger but not strong enough in my opinion for the heft of the everest. The 3.2 is a strong motor and excellent for towing but feels lazy and slow around town. Oh yes and its pretty thirsty too.

So picked up a nice 2.8 auto fortuner with only around 35 000km on, warranty and service plan still active and put it straight to work hauling the 5 of us with bagage to George this last week.

The packing solution I used was 6 seats down and 1 up...meaning one of the most rear seats were still folded and not used this meant my eldest could sit on his own at the back the other two criminals in the middle with some pretty decent space between all of them. This ended up working really well and I managed to fit two pretty large luggage bags in the space where the 7th seat would go and rest of the luggage including an ammo box behind the most rear seats....space was not an issue for us which was surprising.

Now to the consumption....so this was very surprising to me as ive owned d4d hiluxes rangers and amaroks. Amarok was by far the lightest avg 9-9.5l /100 km. What was interesting was that the engine was so willing to rev that I found it difficult to keep speeds below 130 km/h but still consumption never really went below 8.5l/100km on a long trip.

Driving at an indicated 120 - 130 km/h and not using cruise control we achieved 7.3l/100km measured at the pumps on the down trip....trip computer also indicated the same. I did slow down on uphills and accelerated more slowly when having to stop but it wasnt difficult to achieve this.

On the trip back from George to Joburg we achieved 8l/100km.

In my view both these consumption figures are very good and a true reflection of what is possible to achieve with this vehicle. I drive all my vehicles in this way and have always achieved figures at the lower end of the quoted numbers but this result from the fortuner really surprised me. Gearbox
    is smooth and engine is willing to rev and vehicle is happy and stable at speeds on or above an indicated 140km/h and to top it all it can be frugal if driven mindfully.

So far so good.

What pressure are you guys running with the oem 18inch dunlops? Im running them at 2.1 BAR cold. I found 2.3 BAR cold allround to be too hard especially on uneven surfaces...

Regards and good luck to all.
    Last edited by MUGmug; 2020/03/26 at 10:26 AM.

2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to MUGmug For This Useful Post:

Default Re: Fortuner with very impressive fuel consumption.

Hello MUGmug,
    You get the 4x4 or RB? And on your trip did you hit the ECO mode button?
    Ive got a 2017 4x4 and pretty much agree with all you said. Spot on with the tyre pressures also. I dropped to 2.0bar cold and good too.
    Awesome choice of vehicle 😊. Wish you all safe and trouble free memory kms.

On a side note, Id be keen to know what the performance, fuel consumption and the like is on the 2.0Bi-turbo Everests is like.
    2017 Toyota Fortuner 2.8 GD-6 4x4 A/T

I too am in the market for a 7 Seater SUV, and not much to choose from. So looking at a couple of Allspace models. Just waiting for the right one.

I did consider the Fortuner, but I simply won't be able to live with the dreaded brown interior.

Had a rental Fortuner some time back, and it was horrid. Sure it's better offroad than the tiguan being bakkie based, but I do more town driving than offroad, so Tiguan it is I think.

I specifically decided on a non 4x4 model. For the last 10 years all my vehicles have been 4x4 but I never really used it. For general use a 4x2 fortuner with diff lock is more than we need for the odd camping trip or outdoor excursion.

Yes we use the fortuner exclusively in eco mode and it does what it says on the tin. Throttle response is slower and the gearbox changes to a higher gear much sooner to keep revs low.

Quote Originally Posted by franshorn View Post
    I too am in the market for a 7 Seater SUV, and not much to choose from. So looking at a couple of Allspace models. Just waiting for the right one.

I did consider the Fortuner, but I simply won't be able to live with the dreaded brown interior.

Had a rental Fortuner some time back, and it was horrid. Sure it's better offroad than the tiguan being bakkie based, but I do more town driving than offroad, so Tiguan it is I think.
    Check out the Everest. Really like it too.

Quote Originally Posted by MUGmug View Post
    I specifically decided on a non 4x4 model. For the last 10 years all my vehicles have been 4x4 but I never really used it. For general use a 4x2 fortuner with diff lock is more than we need for the odd camping trip or outdoor excursion.

Yes we use the fortuner exclusively in eco mode and it does what it says on the tin. Throttle response is slower and the gearbox changes to a higher gear much sooner to keep revs low.
    Great choice and like the sense applied 😊

Quote Originally Posted by franshorn View Post

I was pissed with my wifes car breaking tyres and rims all the time so started looking. I wanted something that could tow our boat on the beach in a pinch so looked at Mitsubishi Pajero Sport, Isuzu MUX and Fortuner. The former pair were very nice, but both had 65 ltr tanks which was ultimately the deal breaker as you would be filling up far too often with a 2 ton+ boat in tow.

Ended up with a Fortuner in Appliance white, which my wife took down to Dbn abut 2 weeks back and is now stuck in Dbn for the foreseeable future. She said it was around 11l/100km but that included quite a bit of pottering around in JHB before she left. I am hoping that by the time it is back here it will be run in and returning better consumption.
    Last edited by stephenplumb; 2020/03/26 at 06:03 PM.

Franshorn...Tiguan allspace was my first choice. I wanted to get the 132 kw tdi highline with R line package. Problem is that this model new is R700 000. And try finding a decent used one with low mileage. And if you want a 132kw version 2 l tdi you have to take the highline version. The used Models I saw available were all over R150 000 more than what I paid for the fortuner and id be willing to bet the fortuner will do better resale wise after 3 years of ownership. I decided on the fortuner for the following reasons.....
    Purchase price....lower than tiguan
    Resale value...higher than tiguan
    Servicing cost...less than tiguan if out of plan
    Warranty can be extended to 6 years unlimited mileage for R7000
    Should do better with bad or pot hole filled roads
    Should tow a bit better and stable due to being heavier than tiguan
    3rd row of seating is bigger than tiguan
    Should be better offroad even though its only 4x2 with difflock
    More packing space for holiday situations

Anyhow I dont think you will be unhappy with either vehicle.

Funny thing is I really disliked the brown leather but it hasnt taken me very long to get accustomed to it and its actually not that bad...what I dislike wayyy more than that is the fake wood on the steering wheel and around the gear lever....why Toyota would mess up what is arguably a pretty decent modern interior with cheap fake plastic wood...I dont know.

Driving at an indicated 120 - 130 km/h and not using cruise control we achieved 7.3l/100km measured at the pumps on the down trip....trip computer also indicated the same. I did slow down on uphills and accelerated more slowly when having to stop but it wasnt difficult to achieve this.

On the trip back from George to Joburg we achieved 8l/100km.
    I am also very impressed with my 2.8's consumption, getting almost 1000km on a tank (open road). Just a note, the speedo is over-reading by quite a bit.

Quote Originally Posted by PieterOos View Post
    I am also very impressed with my 2.8's consumption, getting almost 1000km on a tank (open road). Just a note, the speedo is over-reading by quite a bit.
    Hi Pieter,
    WOW!
    May I ask, is that using the full 80 litres? That is running into the 12 or so litres after Range reaches 0km? Yes, mine indicates the very annoying way i.e. still +-12litres available when range reaches 0km

Thats great Pieter. So driving sensibly will definitely result in very good fuel economy.

I noticed the speedo is reading about 6km/h over at an indicated 120 km/h measured against the gps. Previous vehicles have all been in the 3-4km/h over range.

Guess its no deal breaker.

Ive read some hilux and fortuner models suffering from brake shudder at high speeds.

I also noticed a little brake shudder especially in the mountain areas of the trip to and from George.
    What was the response to this from Toyota...brake pad and or brake disc replacement?
    Last edited by MUGmug; 2020/03/27 at 10:19 AM.

Also anybody care to explain exactly with 1st hand knowledge what is going on with the fuel tank and its reserve size. Seems to be conflicting info on how big the tank and the reserve is. And how we should be using the trip computer and its info regarding actual range left.

Quote Originally Posted by AK77 View Post
    Hi Pieter,
    WOW!
    May I ask, is that using the full 80 litres? That is running into the 12 or so litres after Range reaches 0km? Yes, mine indicates the very annoying way i.e. still +-12litres available when range reaches 0km
    Hi AK77

Quickly checking my logbook, eg (940km / 75.3l) (948Km / 74.0l) (970km / 75.5l).
    I have had quite a couple of 13km/l+ (tank to tank) which will result in 975 Km with 75l. The most fuel recorded for fill-up is 76.4l

15. The Following User Says Thank You to PieterOos For This Useful Post:

Also anybody care to explain exactly with 1st hand knowledge what is going on with the fuel tank and its reserve size. Seems to be conflicting info on how big the tank and the reserve is. And how we should be using the trip computer and its info regarding actual range left.
    Personally I have consistently seen that the range 'Km count down' changes to 'Refuel' when it reaches 0 Km, at approx 74l.

Awaiting observations from other owners.
    Last edited by PieterOos; 2020/03/27 at 11:11 AM.

Had my 2017 4x4 auto for 5 months now and i must say im loving the vehicle.

My average fuel consumption driving to Sandton everyday is 11.2km/litre. Not bad for a large SUV.

Love the interior, still looks great after 3 years. I have no doubt it will still look great after another 3 years.

In my view pound for pound (rand for rand) it must be the best value for money one can get.

Mine has developed the brake shudder. Will have the discs and pads replaced by Powerbrake when this lockdown is over. I had a Hilux before the Fortuner and its pads and discs were replaced by Toyota at 27 000km. Seems to be the thing with the new Hilux and Fortuners
    Toyota Fortuner 2.8 GD-6 4x4 Auto

Toyota knows that running a diesel that low on fuel can damage the fuel system components due to heat or air suction.

DO NOT DO IT!

Fill up when the car goes below quarter.

Hi AK77

Quickly checking my logbook, eg (940km / 75.3l) (948Km / 74.0l) (970km / 75.5l).
    I have had quite a couple of 13km/l+ (tank to tank) which will result in 975 Km with 75l. The most fuel recorded for fill-up is 76.4l

Hi Pieter...those are excellent numbers for any medium to large size suv I reckon.

May I ask what percentage of urban and highway driving make up the consumption you achieved? Also what your general driving speeds are on the highway and is this with only the driver or other passengers included.

This is very important information imho as the weight of the vehicle and the avg speed its traveling at can drastically impact fuel economy.

Also so if I understand you correctly then once youve reached an indicated range of zero on the trip comper fuel left is 12l or so if you carry on driving for approx 50 to 75km it will then say refuel at which time you should have approx 5 litres of fuel left..giving you 80l capacity....

For me personally the fuel range setup is really annoying. Much prefer the range to read to 0 litres and refuel/fill warning to come on with the standard 5litres left.

Yes agree, avoid running the tank to very low and try and fill at quarter tank.

Quote Originally Posted by Caracal View Post
    Had my 2017 4x4 auto for 5 months now and i must say im loving the vehicle.

My average fuel consumption driving to Sandton everyday is 11.2km/litre. Not bad for a large SUV.

Love the interior, still looks great after 3 years. I have no doubt it will still look great after another 3 years.

In my view pound for pound (rand for rand) it must be the best value for money one can get.

Mine has developed the brake shudder. Will have the discs and pads replaced by Powerbrake when this lockdown is over. I had a Hilux before the Fortuner and its pads and discs were replaced by Toyota at 27 000km. Seems to be the thing with the new Hilux and Fortuners
    Caracal I couldnt agree more...the Fortuner as a package is hard to beat and a 1000 or so people a month in South Africa seem to think so also. If im honest I dont think it excells in any particular category except maybe for fuel economy and 4x4ing but value for money is where it really shines...

Not stepping on any toes here but I for one cannot justify why anyone would pay basically double the price of a fortuner for a land cruiser prado. Youre getting at least 80% of the capability,space,resale value,towing performance(fortuner probably better here as it has a newer more powerfull engine and gearbox with a lower weight)driving dynamics and comfort at half the price.

Prado is arguably the better vehicle but at a very steep premium to the fortuner and they target the same market asf as I can tell. An BMW X5 Touareg GLE etc are not after the same demographic as a fortuner or prado.

Have you not taken your vehicle with brake issue to Toyota? Warranty claim? Ive only heard good things regarding powerbrake.

Quote Originally Posted by AK77 View Post
    For me personally the fuel range setup is really annoying. Much prefer the range to read to 0 litres and refuel/fill warning to come on with the standard 5litres left.

Yes agree, avoid running the tank to very low and try and fill at quarter tank.
    Does seem overly complicated for a company that generally sticks to the KISS principle and I too would also prefer a system you suggested.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast