Air rifle - Page 2

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Air rifle

Default Re: Air rifle

Quote Originally Posted by pellet shooter View Post
    If you want something your son will be able to hand to his son one day (providing it is looked after of course!) get him a Weihrauch HW30s.
    Weihrauch air rifles are miles ahead of any Gamo, or cheap Chinese junk in the quality and accuracy stakes.

They do cost a bit more, but they're worth every cent.

Might be a bit heavy for him now, but he will certainly grow into it. While this happens Dad will have a lot of fun with it
    Very true..in terms of quality there isnt much better....might be a bit overkill for a 6 year old and its in a different price category all together....but agreed...well worth the money

Quote Originally Posted by Alan Ellis View Post
    This forum sadly closed down.
    Oh no. It has been years since I last visited the site or took part in FT shoots. Really thought they will still be active.

A second for the daisy.
    My boys shot maybe 1000 rounds each and still enjoy it now. They started off using 2 fingers to pull the trigger and we still play around with them often. That also teaches them to shoot with open sights. It won't shoot a fly at 20 yards, but is fine for cans.

Both have air rifles now (8 and 10). We started with a side lever one for each and they now have a breakneck and pcp to share. Our youngest is 8 now and the nice thing about the breakneck is he can shoot 200 pellets without the bother of a refill. He has a stoeger from s&o, R1500 for gun, silincer and scope. Not the best glass but it is accurate to 50m. This has taught them to use a scope and made my life so much easier when they started shooting the 243.
    Enjoy! Maybe you must buy 2 daisys then you can play together.
    Last edited by bones; 2020/07/01 at 09:30 PM.
    Pieter

4. The Following User Says Thank You to bones For This Useful Post:

At 6 years old, Daisy.

Whether that or a break neck, you will have to help.

A few years later, a nice break neck.
    A few years later, a nice under lever.
    A few years later, a nice PCP.

Of course this requires dadís involvement throughout.

Thank me later.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Kola For This Useful Post:

Should you go ahead and buy a pellet gun, please , please go and buy a pair of safety glasses that can take a richotte pellet. Afrox sells nice clear safety glasses that can handle an object flying at a high impact. Better for him to chip or lose a tooth than an eye from a richotting pellet, it does happen.
    Isuzu STD 2.5d 2x4 rear diffy lock
    2x spotlight,2x fog lights
    215/80/R15c tyres
    1 x great humourous driver
    GPS,Bluetooth
    Eagle eye dash cam --stolen ..bought another one
    snorkel soon
    Craig
    I DON'T LIVE IN AFRICA,AFRICA LIVES IN ME- Kyle my son

8. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to hunter26 For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by hunter26 View Post
    Should you go ahead and buy a pellet gun, please , please go and buy a pair of safety glasses that can take a richotte pellet. Afrox sells nice clear safety glasses that can handle an object flying at a high impact. Better for him to chip or lose a tooth than an eye from a richotting pellet, it does happen.
    Second that ..long before paintball and Airsoft we used to "hunt" each other in the bush ..only a diving mask and thick clothes for protection ..I still have a pellet in my left cheek...
    gerief en krag bo brandstofgebruik
    2007 Nissan Navara 4.0 l 4x4 Auto

A Weihrauch is only for Dads! And you pass it on to your sons when they turn 21
    2018 VW Amarok V6 4Motion Auto

Where is the best place in Gauteng to look for a Weirauch? Can one buy .22 air rifles without a licence in SA or only .177?

Quote Originally Posted by PierredW View Post
    Where is the best place in Gauteng to look for a Weirauch? Can one buy .22 air rifles without a licence in SA or only .177?
    No license required for an airrifle with a calibre smaller than 5.56mm. A .22 air rifle has an actual calibre of .218/.217. this equates to 5.55mm hence no license.

Best place to look is on gunafrica.co.za and gunsite.co.za...also olx. Unfortunately airrifle.co.za site with classifieds no longer exists.
    If you want one I can send some feelers out for you

Quote Originally Posted by PierredW View Post
    A place I have done business with before, always best to check stock first nowadays - https://pellet-guns.com/spring-pisto...e-17745mm.html

Also here - https://safarioutdoor.co.za/departme...s-springer/p/2
    Last edited by AndyT; 2020/07/02 at 08:44 PM.
    Safe Diving - Andy

2013 Isuzu KB6 300 DC 4X4

http://www.flickr.com/photos/andrews_underwater_images/

Quote Originally Posted by hunter26 View Post
    The world has gone so soft.

When I was five I got given my first breakneck Gecado, the kids version one which now as an adult, would be the length of my arm. I was too young/ lacking in size to use the stock as it should be used so it was tucked under my armpit. The old man told me if I hurt myself with the gun he will kill me and I sort of got the idea of worrying about ricochets and all that.

Just walking into any house with the barrel not open resulted in a hiding of note, along with your maatjie who just happened to tag along and didn't even touch the blerrie gun. My hands have etch marks of that air rifle, after I shot it so much that the sear wore out and the barrel closed a few times on my hands. But my dad never knew, I bled in silence and only told him that the trigger is starting to get awfully crisp. He would have it brazed and and profiled en daar gaan ons weer, box of 500 Radius pellets and the world to conquer.

But in hindsight, safety is paramount and I agree, be wary.
    Last edited by Riaan van Wyk; 2020/07/02 at 11:02 PM.
    "Stare, pry, listen, eavesdrop. Die knowing something, you are not here long"
    Walker Evans, Photographer

Recieved a Daisy underlever for my 10th birthday almost 30 years ago- It came with strict regulations and no birds were allowed to be harmed except Indian Mynahs. What a glorious time.
    Then the Gamo and the .22 Gevarm.

The Daisy was light and easy to handle, also cheap to own.
    Taught me the basics of safety and bred a joy and love for shooting culminating in membership to the Natal Command Provincial Bisley team.

Still have that Faithfull Daisy, taught both my sons on it and have upgraded them to a Gamo lever rifle.

16. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Bospatrollie2 For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by pellet shooter View Post
    If you want something your son will be able to hand to his son one day (providing it is looked after of course!) get him a Weihrauch HW30s.
    Weihrauch air rifles are miles ahead of any Gamo, or cheap Chinese junk in the quality and accuracy stakes.

They do cost a bit more, but they're worth every cent.

Might be a bit heavy for him now, but he will certainly grow into it. While this happens Dad will have a lot of fun with it
    Best advice on this thread! Scarce second hand, but arguably the best youngster's rifle you can buy and light years ahead of Gamo, Hatsan or any of the chinese brands.

If the bug bites, a little HW30 is the kind of air rifle that will be with him for life.
    4 XJs, 2 TJs, 2 KJs, 2 WJs, 2 WKs, 1 XK

2010 JKU Rubicon

Quote Originally Posted by Riaan van Wyk View Post
    The world has gone so soft.

When I was five I got given my first breakneck Gecado, the kids version one which now as an adult, would be the length of my arm. I was too young/ lacking in size to use the stock as it should be used so it was tucked under my armpit. The old man told me if I hurt myself with the gun he will kill me and I sort of got the idea of worrying about ricochets and all that.

Just walking into any house with the barrel not open resulted in a hiding of note, along with your maatjie who just happened to tag along and didn't even touch the blerrie gun. My hands have etch marks of that air rifle, after I shot it so much that the sear wore out and the barrel closed a few times on my hands. But my dad never knew, I bled in silence and only told him that the trigger is starting to get awfully crisp. He would have it brazed and and profiled en daar gaan ons weer, box of 500 Radius pellets and the world to conquer.

But in hindsight, safety is paramount and I agree, be wary.
    Went through the same ordeal except I accidentally shot our neighbors husband who was gardening, in the leg due to not thinking about safety and richotting pellets. It only stung his leg but when my dad heard about it, I got a lecture then a hiding of my life... then another hiding for not telling him before the grumpy neighbor did.

Must say, I learnt a lesson about stray bullets that day
    Isuzu STD 2.5d 2x4 rear diffy lock
    2x spotlight,2x fog lights
    215/80/R15c tyres
    1 x great humourous driver
    GPS,Bluetooth
    Eagle eye dash cam --stolen ..bought another one
    snorkel soon
    Craig
    I DON'T LIVE IN AFRICA,AFRICA LIVES IN ME- Kyle my son

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2