Is this winch on back to front?

Default Is this winch on back to front?

Surely the cables should be going in the back? It had been sitting around my local Landy guy's garage for months so I picked it up for pennies and he fitted it for me. Was changing the cable for a rope when it occurred to me that this doesn't look right. The screws securing the motor housing bracket are on the back rendering them virtually inaccessible too!
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Default Re: Is this winch on back to front?

Definitely looks the wrong way around to me yes.

That would also mean that the motor functionality will be reversed, and hence to make it work correctly the main red battery wire would need to go to earth and the main black battery wire would need to go to positive, unless its all been swapped around on the solenoid box.
    Last edited by Ericl; 2020/07/01 at 09:51 PM.
    Eric L
    ---------------------

ME_______ - '09 SUZUKI JIMNY - Pipe Bumper / Under body Protection / Winch / Snorkel / Roof Rack / VHF+UHF Comms
    SWAMBO__ - MAHINDRA BOLERO - Feels like an SJ / loads like a truck / tows like a tank!
    RETIRED___ - '99 Gen 1 Grand Vitara / 1.6 Vitara JLX ...x2 / SJ413 SWB ...x3 / SJ413LWB ...x1 / SJ410 ...x2.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Ericl For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by ElectricDogs View Post
    Surely the cables should be going in the back? It had been sitting around my local Landy guy's garage for months so I picked it up for pennies and he fitted it for me. ..................
    Looking a gift horse in the mouth
    Henk
    Adventure is out there go find it

Fitment and trailer service. Agent for SnoMaster & Tentco
    Follow us on Facebook

Thanks guys, I guess the summary is "if it isn't broken, don't fix it"! It spools correctly and true it was (virtually) a freebie so I should probably just live with it! Just wanted to be sure that it wasn't unsafe, which I am assuming it isn't. Nice new rope and hawse going on tomorrow, then I can stop calling the wife to come drag me out of crap....some of the time.

So long as the rope comes out the bottom, you should be fine.
    1996 Patrol 4.2SGL with lots of stuff to make it heavier and thus increase traction?

Thanks. Yes, I am loathe to start messing around by reinstalling it completely unless I have to (or if the aesthetics of having the cables at the front annoys me!). I have to assume, given that the previous owner went to the trouble of turning the direction sticker around, that there is a reason it was installed this way which isn't immediately obvious. The garage just installed the bar with the winch already attached so probably didn't notice.

Anyhow...if you hear of a winch related accident with some clueless Brit in a Defender then you will know I should have turned it around. Otherwise, thanks again!

it does look wrong way around, and poses more questions...

if only motor cables was swopped around, to still have the cable/rope spooling from the bottom, then that would mean that the winch is now working in reverse, working against the internal brake when doing a recovery, unless the internals were also swopped around? more Q's than A's
    -

That is a good point. Do you have any recommendation as to how I could go about testing all is working as it should, the brake in particular? I tested it a week ago using a local tree (!) and all seemed to be ok. Unspooling the cable in a stop/start manner didn't show any issues. I now have the cable off and will install a rope and new hawse today so if I need to turn the entire unit around the correct way, I will.

I really appreciate all this help.

It does not matter which way the motor is mounted on the winch drum, in other words go can turn the motor around that the wires are at the back, as long its pulling the rope/cable in from the bottom of the drum, as most winches are designed.
    Last edited by JLK; 2020/07/02 at 12:07 PM.
    Johan Kriel

Thanks Johan, so in your view no concerns (per Sennin's comment) about it working against the brake?

Quote Originally Posted by ElectricDogs View Post
    Thanks Johan, so in your view no concerns (per Sennin's comment) about it working against the brake?
    Yes, as long as the drum is operating as it should.
    Johan Kriel

If the power cables bother you, just turn the box around. Better still, lengthen the cables and mount it in the engine bay. This will be much tidier.
    20 Ranger Supercab 2.2 auto XLS 4x4
    18 Ranger Double cab Tdci (Swambo)
    12 Conqueror courage

Dawie van der Merwe
    If you fail to plan, you plan to fail.
    A goal without a plan is just a dream.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to LandyLove For This Useful Post:

If you google the type of winch you have then you will the low down on what is what with. Virtually everything is on google. As far as installation goes you can find enough examples on YouTube to verify what has been done. As far as what you need to know is always there as well. Nothing worse if a fault occurs and you can help yourself. Frankly I have only once had a company vehicle with a winch on years ago. Those days things weren't as sophisticated as today and should work better. I have a tirfor with slings and shackles. If I should get stuck it's easy to attach at any end of the vehicle and does not need battery power ar a electric motor. As long as I have oomph in my arms I can pull myself out. I once had my Safari and massive trailer stuck in sand in Namibia. Was a breeze pulling myself out. Locals were astounded to say the least. 1.5ton tirfor might take a bit of space in vehicle with all extras around it but never a problem. Also if you should bog your nose into a swamp or so you might make a problem. Tirfor you can attach to any corner and pull in any direction as well. This is my 2 cents. As always enjoy.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Wylie E For This Useful Post:

Personally, I prefer the cable out the top. Then I can monitor the cable track and slack.
    LC 78 Troopie 1HD-FTE
    Uniglide
    +27 zero eight 2 four 95 9252

Perhaps he turned it around due to there not being enough space between the grill and the winch for the cables?
    2004 Land Rover Discovery 2 VNTd5 ES

Yeah I asked my garage who said that the winch came off a Defender with aircon and the cables fouled the condenser so they turned it around. As for the winch itself, it's a CTA12000 which is discontinued and Google isn't coming up with a lot. I asked the company that distributed them in the UK but they don't have any of the original documentation either.

Look, I got a winch, a Terrafirma bumper and spots for 200...I can't complain!

Quote Originally Posted by LandyLove View Post
    If the power cables bother you, just turn the box around. Better still, lengthen the cables and mount it in the engine bay. This will be much tidier.
    I quite like this idea...to be investigated.

Off topic....is the icon next to the 2.8i you sold intended to indicate regret or that you didn't like it? I have one here in the UK that I imported, I love it!

Quote Originally Posted by Henris View Post
    Personally, I prefer the cable out the top. Then I can monitor the cable track and slack.
    This is (or should) not be a matter of personal preference, there is a safety issue involved - if a winch is mounted feet down, as most are and that one is, with the cable coming off the top of the drum, the rear mounting feet/bolts are in tension, which they are not designed to be, so you run the risk of breaking the casting. If it's mounted feet down, with the cable coming off the bottom, all four feet/bolts are in compression, so there is less risk of the casting breaking.

The perhaps best or strongest way to mount a winch is feet forwards so the cable runs between the feet - if you've never seen one mounted this way take a look at the next ARB bar you come across.

22. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to fordem For This Useful Post: