Defender Puma Oil Cooler

Thread: Puma Oil Cooler

Default Puma Oil Cooler

I recently started finding a dark brown sludge in my coolant and obviously thought the worst - a blown head gasket. the strange part was that the Landy did not display any symptoms of a blown gasket. The coolant has reached 100deg at times when climbing really steep hills at freeway speeds but has never overheated.

I flushed the system and still found that the coolant reservoir was full of sludge.

Took her to the Center in Durban to have the problem diagnosed and was told that the oil cooler may be the culprit. I was a bit flabbergasted as I did not know the Puma (2.4 and 2.2) has an oil-cooler. I know that the older Defenders had an oil cooler in the radiator and they tend to corrode and leak.

Apparently the oil filter housing doubles up as a cooler as well. The oil cooler is sealed by a strange shaped o-ring and cant be bought separately.

R11k later and the problem is solved. At least I got rid of that cartridge filter and now have a screw on type .
    2013 Defender 110 8)

Default Re: Puma Oil Cooler

Hi Ruan,
    What filter housing did you change it to then? Does it also act as an oil cooler?

Mine also leaked at some point, although its was just the thermostat on the cooler. Cost about R500 to replace.
    Last edited by ClaudeG; 2020/07/01 at 08:52 AM.

Defender Puma Raw Limited Edition
    Series III 88"
    Scout Nomad

Chop your own firewood and it will warm you twice

Default Re: Puma Oil Cooler

It was the whole oil filter housing. Doubles up as an oil cooler too. The part alone is R5k then labour, flushing and new oils made up the rest.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    2013 Defender 110 8)